Any more out the door?

257 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Any more out the door?

by Hendo » 28 Aug 2019 17:31

Sutekh
Hendo
Hound Except Jaakola, did any of the released players actually get fixed up elsewhere?

Surprised if Harriott particularly didn't get picked up. Know Danzell has been trialing around, but not heard anything on McShane

No, I don't think they did.

Just had a quick look and it looks like both Harriott and McShane are free agents - which also surprises me.

Joey joined NEC (the Dutch football club not the Japanese IT company)

Was that the team he was on loan to as well last season?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Aug 2019 18:11

Hendo
Sutekh
Hendo
No, I don't think they did.

Just had a quick look and it looks like both Harriott and McShane are free agents - which also surprises me.

Yes, so it probably doesn’t count as much as Jaakkola

Surprising that Harriott and McShane haven’t got a deal. Not surprised that Gravenberch and Meyler are struggling. Were there any others released from the senior side?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Aug 2019 21:17

O Shea I think was the only other one - though obvs retired at the same time

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Aug 2019 08:58

Jlow reckons a few more will be leaving in the next few days:

Possibly Baldock to Germany, plus a number of the U23s, mainly on loan - Holmes, Osho, Watson, Frost and a few others

puts the chances of McCleary and Gunter leaving at 1/5. Bit bizarre two players with a lot to offer someone (if not us) are going to spend the season kicking about in the stands

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Aug 2019 09:00

Sutekh
Hendo
Sutekh

Yes, so it probably doesn’t count as much as Jaakkola

Yeah, I guess it is why it wouldn’t immediately spring to mind.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Aug 2019 09:41

Hound Jlow reckons a few more will be leaving in the next few days:

Possibly Baldock to Germany, plus a number of the U23s, mainly on loan - Holmes, Osho, Watson, Frost and a few others

puts the chances of McCleary and Gunter leaving at 1/5. Bit bizarre two players with a lot to offer someone (if not us) are going to spend the season kicking about in the stands

If McCleary/Gunter don't go by Monday evening then think both will find a club in January as we may be more open to a loan to a Championship club depending on how our season pans out.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 29 Aug 2019 09:44

Excluding Gunter, Don't we have 3 right backs and 3 left backs? - I would expect at least one each of the backup left & right backs to go out on loan, if not sold.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Aug 2019 09:50

Stranded
Hound Jlow reckons a few more will be leaving in the next few days:

If McCleary/Gunter don't go by Monday evening then think both will find a club in January as we may be more open to a loan to a Championship club depending on how our season pans out.

Can't see any champ club wanting them if they haven't played a game for 8 months tbh. Maybe if absolutely desperate in the case of Gunter

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 29 Aug 2019 10:13

It's very strange re. Gunter - every manager has always rated him previously but Gomes clearly doesn't ... I actually think it reflects well on Gomes as so many fans on here have commented on Gunter's weaknesses yet manager after manager persisted on playing him week after week. But it seems strange that we have not been able to loan him out as surely others would look at his Welsh international experience and see him as a good option. Or maybe they too have watched the videos and seen the number of times he's wimped out of blocking a cross?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 29 Aug 2019 10:19

Royalwaster It's very strange re. Gunter - every manager has always rated him previously but Gomes clearly doesn't ... I actually think it reflects well on Gomes as so many fans on here have commented on Gunter's weaknesses yet manager after manager persisted on playing him week after week. But it seems strange that we have not been able to loan him out as surely others would look at his Welsh international experience and see him as a good option. Or maybe they too have watched the videos and seen the number of times he's wimped out of blocking a cross?

Totally agree, very odd. Must be wages?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Aug 2019 10:22

Royalwaster It's very strange re. Gunter - every manager has always rated him previously but Gomes clearly doesn't ... I actually think it reflects well on Gomes as so many fans on here have commented on Gunter's weaknesses yet manager after manager persisted on playing him week after week. But it seems strange that we have not been able to loan him out as surely others would look at his Welsh international experience and see him as a good option. Or maybe they too have watched the videos and seen the number of times he's wimped out of blocking a cross?

Not sure it's that he doesn't rate him but that he simply isn't the right kind of player for the way we are now playing and will play going forward. He's not a wingback, never will be, so has been frozen out as a result as we have players who can fit the role much better.

Agree it is a real surprise he hasn't been picked up by someone which is most likely a wages thing and we haven't had an offer that allows us to get the majority of that off the books.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 29 Aug 2019 12:00

Stranded

Not sure it's that he doesn't rate him but that he simply isn't the right kind of player for the way we are now playing and will play going forward. He's not a wingback, never will be, so has been frozen out as a result as we have players who can fit the role much better.

Agree it is a real surprise he hasn't been picked up by someone which is most likely a wages thing and we haven't had an offer that allows us to get the majority of that off the books.

Yes I suspect the offers to date were of the 'you're taking the p:ss' variety - we'll take him, if you pay 90% of his wages.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Aug 2019 13:19

I think Gomes is the only manager who's had genuine options at full back.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Aug 2019 17:34

From Despair To Where?

I don't really agree on the whole, but where it has at times been the case that's often been the manager's choice not to adopt Academy players or make signings.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Aug 2019 18:23

From Despair To Where?

Did Yiadom play as first choice under Clement most of the time ?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Aug 2019 18:29

There was a whole dialogue on here for about 3 seasons about how we were light on full backs and Gunter was getting away with poor performances because he had no competition for his place. Constant moaning about how we kept on buying midfielders when we desparately needed cover at full back.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Aug 2019 21:00

From Despair To Where? There was a whole dialogue on here for about 3 seasons about how we were light on full backs and Gunter was getting away with poor performances because he had no competition for his place. Constant moaning about how we kept on buying midfielders when we desparately needed cover at full back.

Yeah, but see my point about Manager's choosing this by not using the Academy or making signings there.

And we have had Cummings, Kelly, Keown, Stacey, Watson, Dickie and Bacuna who could all play at RB to some extent. Plus at LB Harte, Shorey, Bridge, Kelly, Obita, Owusu, Blackett, Richards.

There have been lean periods, but there have usually been some sort of options. And Howe and Watson as much potential they may have, are not exactly likely to be pushing Yiadom strongly for his place. Any more than many of those others pushed Gunter for his place.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Aug 2019 22:51

I think i've just been IanRoyalled. Countering an argument about a lack of depth at full back with a list comprised mainly of midfielders and players who never made it at Championship level. What were you saying the other week about signing defenders to do a defenders job etc etc etc and not using someone because they might do a job in a different position? Surely playing a midfielder at full back suggests a lack of depth.

I'll give you the permacrocked Wayne Bridge (LB) though and Cummings (who Gunter was signed to replace) , Harte, Shorey (who both left at the end of Gunter's first season and predate the arguments on here about lack of FB depth), Blackett (CB), Kelly and Richards ( who doesn't play in Gunter's position).

But if it makes you happy, yes, you're more right than me (again :roll: )

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Aug 2019 09:01

From Despair To Where? I think i've just been IanRoyalled. Countering an argument about a lack of depth at full back with a list comprised mainly of midfielders and players who never made it at Championship level. What were you saying the other week about signing defenders to do a defenders job etc etc etc and not using someone because they might do a job in a different position? Surely playing a midfielder at full back suggests a lack of depth.

I'll give you the permacrocked Wayne Bridge (LB) though and Cummings (who Gunter was signed to replace) , Harte, Shorey (who both left at the end of Gunter's first season and predate the arguments on here about lack of FB depth), Blackett (CB), Kelly and Richards ( who doesn't play in Gunter's position).

But if it makes you happy, yes, you're more right than me (again :roll: )

Would have to give him Jack Stacey too given he has just signed for a Premier League club as a right back.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Aug 2019 09:08

But he played in midfield when with us.

257 posts