180 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Charlton

by Hendo » 02 Sep 2019 13:49

The Enfield Royal71
Snowflake Royal
The Enfield Royal71
Isn't the idea and point of C1871 to sing through the whole game regardless of result and create an atmosphere?
If they get drowned out by Charlton, its time to say goodbye to it I think.

Happily what you think merits no action whatsoever.

Thats what you think. I have connections in the club that agree with me

Blimey DD, you have connections everywhere :!:

If there was any truth to the above statement, it wouldn't have progressed to this season.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Sep 2019 13:55

Hound
Forbury Lion
John Madejski's Wallet A bad game for Homes, leaving two tired and ineffective strikers and brining on Boye and Meite in the wings was a massive error
Agreed, Listening to BBC Berks after the game and Adie and Mick were saying the same thing. Didn't catch the Gomes interview, so not sure if he acknowleged this error or explained his decision.

John Madejski's Wallet Oh and LOL at Raphael for being a nobhead and allowing their man the easiest pen he'll ever score
Did I see it right (wasn't 100% sure from my angle of view), but it looked as though he decided not to stand in the middle of the goal and instead to one side leaving a much wider opening on one side that. The Charlton penalty taker accepted the invitation to score on that side and in it went.

Yes, and also pointed to where he wanted Taylor to shoot to. Which is actually where he did.

It looks nonsense, but if he saves it, it looks genius
Isn't the pointing thing illegal under the new penalty rules that came in along with the one about the goalkeeper having to have at least one foot on/behind the line?

edit: Not illegal, I was getting mixed up with the rules for players in the wall.
Interesting that the penalty can not be taken when the goalkeeper is touching the posts/net - the keeper can just touch the crossbar as the player takes his run and maybe the ref will blow for a retake which may put the penalty taker off?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48965849

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 02 Sep 2019 14:32

Hendo
The Enfield Royal71
Snowflake Royal Happily what you think merits no action whatsoever.

If there was any truth to the above statement, it wouldn't have progressed to this season.

There is truth to it but they had already commited to this season beforehand. It won't be around next season.

It's weird you don't question snowball about him supporting other teams or other people who have connections like PTR...
But you question me.

Why?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Sep 2019 14:35

The Enfield Royal71
Hendo
The Enfield Royal71

There is truth to it but they had already commited to this season beforehand. It won't be around next season.

It's weird you don't question snowball about him supporting other teams or other people who have connections like PTR...
But you question me.

Why?

Odd that their minds have been changed after only 3 games, one which has been sold out.

Already told you m9, ain't touching the Snowball shit with a bargepole, he supports far too many teams. Plus his posts are unreadable in their very short lines - I don't know why he can't use this forum like everyone else. Also, he hasn't started a thread about Newport County and hasn't suggested he is/did buy a season ticket because he became disillusioned with Reading FC.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Sep 2019 14:44

The Enfield Royal71
Hendo
The Enfield Royal71

But you question me.

Why?

I like you DD, but for the love of God, please stop with all the bullshitting

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 02 Sep 2019 14:53

genome
The Enfield Royal71
Hendo

But you question me.

Why?

Thanks Genome. I like you too

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Sep 2019 15:46

The Enfield Royal71
Snowflake Royal
wally bassoon

From the East Stand you could only hear Charlton, they were loud all the way through. Could not hear a peep from club 1871, I guess that if you are in amongst it, then it seems a lot louder.

There were definitely large portions where Charlton were sat doing nothing in the first half. We did sing a few of the same songs though, and at the same time, so it maybe what you heard as so good was actually the combined noise of both with the nearer words being clearer.

C1871 didn't stop for virtually the entire first half. There were points when I could tell Charlton were going too, but not many. There were even renditions of "shall we sing a song for you" "we forgot that you were here" and "there's only 10 of you singing"

It was more subdued than Wednesday though. But the banners were at the top of the stand and I think netting off that bit has a big impact. The lower and closer to the pitch you are the fewer people join in and the less well the sound is captured and focused.

On top of that, in the second half there was virtually nothing to sing about and Charlton did a really good job of drowning out anything starting. Which they definitely didn't do in the first half.

Isn't the idea and point of C1871 to sing through the whole game regardless of result and create an atmosphere?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Sep 2019 15:47

The Enfield Royal71
Hendo
The Enfield Royal71

?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Sep 2019 15:48

The Enfield Royal71
Snowflake Royal
The Enfield Royal71

Happily what you think merits no action whatsoever.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Sep 2019 15:51

Snowflake Royal
wally bassoon
Maneki Neko

Yeah that.

Bemused by the comments about their fans tbh.
Hardly made a sound till they scored.
At least from my seat

From the East Stand you could only hear Charlton, they were loud all the way through. Could not hear a peep from club 1871, I guess that if you are in amongst it, then it seems a lot louder.

There were definitely large portions where Charlton were sat doing nothing in the first half. We did sing a few of the same songs though, and at the same time, so it maybe what you heard as so good was actually the combined noise of both with the nearer words being clearer.

C1871 didn't stop for virtually the entire first half. There were points when I could tell Charlton were going too, but not many. There were even renditions of "shall we sing a song for you" "we forgot that you were here" and "there's only 10 of you singing"

this is what I thought

we could hear it when Charlton sang anything, and it was very sporadic and quiet first half
second half after the goal it died a bit for us and C1971 struggled to pick back up, just as reading struggled on the pitch.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Sep 2019 16:31

Snowball
RoyalBlue
Rafael actually moved back to the centre before Taylor kicked the ball.

er, no he didn't.

Just seen the penalty and he moves back towards the middle, but is still a bit more on his right.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Sep 2019 16:47

Snowball
RoyalBlue

er, no he didn't.

It was right in front of me. Royalblue is 100% right. Might not have made it to the exact centre, but moved a good yard or two.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Sep 2019 16:50

Hendo
Snowball
RoyalBlue

er, no he didn't.

Just seen the penalty and he moves back towards the middle, but is still a bit more on his right.

I read you as saying he was central, and he wasn't.

No biggie, but that's how I read "back to the centre (of the goal)'

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Sep 2019 17:09

genome
The Enfield Royal71
Hendo

But you question me.

Why?

He's like the mental kid at school that would tell everyone his Dad is Mr T and that he's going on Holiday to the Moon over the summer, and think people believe him.

It's tragic, but I just don't have the patience for his bullshit after all the warnings and genuine advice and support he's been given.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 02 Sep 2019 17:41

Snowflake Royal
genome
The Enfield Royal71

But you question me.

Why?

He's like the mental kid at school that would tell everyone his Dad is Mr T and that he's going on Holiday to the Moon over the summer, and think people believe him.

It's tragic, but I just don't have the patience for his bullshit after all the warnings and genuine advice and support he's been given.

If you don't like what I say, the genuine truth, there is a block button on here. Use it or dont moan. You don't know me at all to say what is or isn't true.

Fyi my dad is actually Chuck Norris.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Sep 2019 17:42

Good away performance by Charlton in the Champ. Survive early storms, get it to 0-0 at HT, and go from there.
Did what they had to do and came to do. Didn't look 'special' doing it, but they weren't trying to be.
As you'd expect, well versed in the dark arts under Bowyer, which is effective in these leagues. They actually passed it around quite well when they wanted to.

Right after HT, while we seemingly came out the same, they aggressively pressed us higher which took away the momentum we wanted to resume with, which set the tone for the 2nd half. As he continues to acquire more Champ nous, Gomes could/should have maybe anticipated this at HT.

Other teams will watch this game tape. Positive overall, but we'll need to develop and employ other styles and plans and learn to win games in different ways and circumstances.

Puscas, has goals in him, and hoping he develops other dimensions too. Somewhat slower than expected for a player who just turned 23. Miss on HT crucial and ominous in this game.

Joao has to want it and be focused and committed. Work ethic, consistency, attention to details, improve preparation between games, upgrade fitness levels, diet, nutrition, etc. Better conditioning needed to be a 90 min player (which he hasn’t been, in the recent past).

Moore had a mare and got bullied. You want/need more from your captain and leader esp in a game like that. Can play better, and needs to, quickly. "I haven't been at my best at the start of this season and it's frustrating”, he said.

Boye, can look decent, not sure of best role or position?

Pele, 3s and 4s ??? Seemed well up for the battle that ensued and relished the challenge. Solid, despite playing most of it with questionable early yellow. Was still a physical presence thereafter in a physical game. Could maybe have seen red from other refs given his continued tenacity.

Yiadom, can’t fault the effort, and is playing well overall. Crosses need more accuracy, esp when given time and space. Playing without wingers puts a premium on his deliveries now. Doesn’t 'see’ a cross early and freezes to think about it. It was apparent in a back 4, and it's now magnified at wing back. Hopefully has scope to improve.

Morrison had his hands full playing with McIntyre and Moore, but was solid. Plays well under pressure and great to have a CB who’s a threat in the opposition’s box.

McIntyre, did ok in tough test. Growing up fast and just about held it together.

Barrett seems to be improving each week. Only just turned 21, and more to come.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Sep 2019 18:04

Denver Royal Good away performance by Charlton in the Champ. Survive early storms, get it to 0-0 at HT, and go from there.
Did what they had to do and came to do. Didn't look 'special' doing it, but they weren't trying to be.
As you'd expect, well versed in the dark arts under Bowyer, which is effective in these leagues. They actually passed it around quite well when they wanted to.

Right after HT, while we seemingly came out the same, they aggressively pressed us higher which took away the momentum we wanted to resume with, which set the tone for the 2nd half. As he continues to acquire more Champ nous, Gomes could/should have maybe anticipated this at HT.

Other teams will watch this game tape. Positive overall, but we'll need to develop and employ other styles and plans and learn to win games in different ways and circumstances.

Puscas, has goals in him, and hoping he develops other dimensions too. Somewhat slower than expected for a player who just turned 23. Miss on HT crucial and ominous in this game.

Joao has to want it and be focused and committed. Work ethic, consistency, attention to details, improve preparation between games, upgrade fitness levels, diet, nutrition, etc. Better conditioning needed to be a 90 min player (which he hasn’t been, in the recent past).

Moore had a mare and got bullied. You want/need more from your captain and leader esp in a game like that. Can play better, and needs to, quickly. "I haven't been at my best at the start of this season and it's frustrating”, he said.

Pele, 3s and 4s ??? Seemed well up for the battle that ensued and relished the challenge. Solid, despite playing most of it with questionable early yellow. Was still a physical presence thereafter in a physical game. Could maybe have seen red from other refs given his continued tenacity.

Yiadom, can’t fault the effort, and is playing well overall. Crosses need more accuracy, esp when given time and space. Playing without wingers puts a premium on his deliveries now. Doesn’t 'see’ a cross early and freezes to think about it. It was apparent in a back 4, and it's now magnified at wing back. Hopefully has scope to improve.

Morrison had his hands full playing with McIntyre and Moore, but was solid. Plays well under pressure and great to have a CB who’s a threat in the opposition’s box.

McIntyre, did ok in tough test. Growing up fast and just about held it together.

Good summary Denvers

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Sep 2019 18:56

Denver Royal Good away performance by Charlton in the Champ. Survive early storms, get it to 0-0 at HT, and go from there.

Agree with Ian. Nice summary. I thought Pele faded badly after a really solid first half.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Sep 2019 19:24

Good post. Yiadom’s athleticism is a real asset to us but his composure in the opposition box is limited and he does seem to overthink things through. In saying this, he did get a few assists last season (possibly highest) and already has a couple this season but they never really seem to be from wingplay out wide

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Sep 2019 19:36

Yeah, Yiadom is very much in the cut inside and look for a shot style rather than the traditional hit the byline and pull back or whip in a cross.

A few too many of our players like to turn to get space and just end up turning left, right left and not really getting any where. Yiadom is one.

Good player though. And he'll do his share of damage.

180 posts