Blue-collar streetfood

145 posts
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Blue-collar streetfood

by Maneki Neko » 03 Sep 2019 14:03

anyone not eating the ox heart because its heart is missing out massively. its juts like an incredible bit of steak. nothing offally about it tbf.

id certainly consider going to get some food up there even if I wasn't going to the game too.

my missus demands I bring back the delicious Portuguese nata (custard tarts) every time I go to a game as my payment for leaving her alone to look after our child

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 03 Sep 2019 14:04

RoyalBlue I was surprised to see someone tucking into one of those over-priced crappy hot dogs that they sell inside the stadium when they could have had what IMO is a much, much better (and larger) sausage in a decent toasted roll + loads of different toppings from Heavenly Sausage outside. Doubt there is much price difference either.

Still I guess there's no accounting for taste and health.

At least Blue Collar Street Food seem to have significantly reduced the queues at the food concessions inside the stadium for those who don't like queuing! Long may their success and popularity continue.

club will be taking a bit of a beating on food sales I reckon. hope the licence fee for blue collar was substantial

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 03 Sep 2019 16:47

Maneki Neko
RoyalBlue I was surprised to see someone tucking into one of those over-priced crappy hot dogs that they sell inside the stadium when they could have had what IMO is a much, much better (and larger) sausage in a decent toasted roll + loads of different toppings from Heavenly Sausage outside. Doubt there is much price difference either.

At least Blue Collar Street Food seem to have significantly reduced the queues at the food concessions inside the stadium for those who don't like queuing! Long may their success and popularity continue.

club will be taking a bit of a beating on food sales I reckon. hope the licence fee for blue collar was substantial

I thought that the food concessions inside the stadium didn't belong to the club but were franchises (like BCS), so the club aren't actually losing any money. What may happen is that the 'inside' franchises will change the food they serve because they're losing so much money. A decent Indian might encourage me to buy inside, although maybe not due to the sheer choice of BCS.

I do feel a bit sorry for the fish and chip shop just up the road from the ground, as that's where I always used to buy my pre-match food.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Sep 2019 17:20

Hampshire Royal
Maneki Neko

I thought that the food concessions inside the stadium didn't belong to the club but were franchises (like BCS), so the club aren't actually losing any money. What may happen is that the 'inside' franchises will change the food they serve because they're losing so much money. A decent Indian might encourage me to buy inside, although maybe not due to the sheer choice of BCS.

I do feel a bit sorry for the fish and chip shop just up the road from the ground, as that's where I always used to buy my pre-match food.

Which fish & chip shop was that? We used to buy ours from Deep Blue next to Lidl but, in our opinion, they became an absolute rip-off with relatively low quality fish and chips at prices way higher than we would pay for better quality in London! When they dropped their loyalty scheme we ended our loyalty! Used to have a drink and a meal in the Holiday Inn after that but now much prefer coming to the ground and buying the great food from BCS.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Sep 2019 09:52

proper buzzing in that zone outside the east now with the seating, and decent food/drink options

its all pretty universally positive

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Sep 2019 11:30

Had the Chipsmyth dirty chips on Saturday. It was absolutely lovely.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 04 Sep 2019 12:12

So is this BCS stuff only available outside the East? Can you get to it at HT from C1871? I'm guessing not.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Sep 2019 12:12

Jagermesiter1871 So is this BCS stuff only available outside the East? Can you get to it at HT from C1871? I'm guessing not.

No, it is available from around the entire ground.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 04 Sep 2019 12:15

Class. Outside right? I generally just head to the concourse and buy a beer there as the stuff outside used to be crap.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 04 Sep 2019 12:34

RoyalBlue
Which fish & chip shop was that? We used to buy ours from Deep Blue next to Lidl but, in our opinion, they became an absolute rip-off with relatively low quality fish and chips at prices way higher than we would pay for better quality in London! When they dropped their loyalty scheme we ended our loyalty!.

'greed quality dropped and prices went up so stopped going there much.

Did they change owners a few seasons ago?

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 04 Sep 2019 12:58

RoyalBlue
Hampshire Royal
Maneki Neko

Which fish & chip shop was that? We used to buy ours from Deep Blue next to Lidl but, in our opinion, they became an absolute rip-off with relatively low quality fish and chips at prices way higher than we would pay for better quality in London! When they dropped their loyalty scheme we ended our loyalty! Used to have a drink and a meal in the Holiday Inn after that but now much prefer coming to the ground and buying the great food from BCS.

yes, that's the one I meant. I only used to go there once a fortnight, so never took advantage of any loyalty scheme. I don't buy fish and chips very often, so can't really compare prices or quality.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Sep 2019 13:51

Jagermesiter1871 Class. Outside right? I generally just head to the concourse and buy a beer there as the stuff outside used to be crap.

I don't think you do. If you're asking questions like that then you clearly don't go to games.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Sep 2019 14:17

Jagermesiter1871 So is this BCS stuff only available outside the East? Can you get to it at HT from C1871? I'm guessing not.

each stand has its own stalls.
the south stand has heavenly sausage and a spicy jerk wrap place, plus the portuguese coffee van with the custard tarts

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Sep 2019 14:17

Jagermesiter1871 Class. Outside right? I generally just head to the concourse and buy a beer there as the stuff outside used to be crap.

no beer outside the south stand I'm afraid

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Sep 2019 14:51

Maneki Neko .

You don't go to Madejski for the football do you, you go for the food

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 04 Sep 2019 22:00

John Smith
Maneki Neko .

Can you blame him?

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 04 Sep 2019 22:01

John Smith

I don't think you do. If you're asking questions like that then you clearly don't go to games.

Ill be honest it took me 5 years to notice the Star Hut outside the east.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Sep 2019 09:11

Jagermesiter1871
John Smith

Ill be honest it took me 5 years to notice the Star Hut outside the east.

Don't blame you for that one. Make sure you stay well away from it.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 05 Sep 2019 11:18

John Smith
Maneki Neko .

I go for both now

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 Sep 2019 17:51

Maneki Neko
John Smith
Maneki Neko .

I go for both now

This - now arranging to meet up and eat lunch at the Mad Stad before a game rather than eating in town and then heading out.

145 posts