Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Middlesbrough (a) sponsored by a Simon Cox chip

by Sutekh » 10 Sep 2019 07:10

When : Saturday, 14th September, 3pm
Where : Riverside Stadium, Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS3 6RS
Capacity : 35,100
Away Stand : East Stand near the SE corner
What might I see in the area : Chemicals

And quite early this season Reading are set to remove the longest league trek of the season from the list of forthcoming attractions.

Hoping to pick up the pieces of a fitful start and a bit of a disappointment last time out, Reading make the trip on the back of another tedious international break and all the worries that will bring of no real training and who will come back tired and/or injured. In addition the team goes in the hope of breaking a miserable run of games against Middlesbrough that has seen five defeats from the last five games played.

The ‘boro have had a bit of a poor start to the season and currently sit two places and one point behind Reading. Despite that they are unbeaten in their last three including two without defeat at the Riverside so it’s the usual “not at all easy” game you get in this division.

Jonathan Woodgate has the reins at the club now as things begin to change up north and their early struggle is probably down to the changes settling in. The likes of Darren Randolph, Britt Asombalonga, Adam Clayton and George Friend are still there and more than capable of making a side that can cause Reading frustrations and problems. Meanwhile Rudy Gestede is injured and will miss the game.

Reading are still finding out what they are and have shown that they could live with the best but equally that stinker of a second half v Charlton shows that they are very much work in progress so let’s hope JG and his squad learn quick from these things when they happen.

Barring problems for those on international duty, Reading are pretty much short on injuries (touchwood) with Obita now being good bench material and Blackett expected to be able to return to training routines this week. Miazga was the other worry before the break but the hope was that he’d be back very quickly after the international distraction though perhaps more in contention for the visit of Blackburn but we shall see.

Lastly, Jose’s no. 2, Jorge Mendonca, will be hoping to avoid a hat trick of cautions.

Referee

This game sees Robert Jones take command in search of his first Reading win in four games

Previously

16 Feb 19 > Sheffield United 4-0 Reading
26 Dec 18 > Queens Park Rangers 0-0 Reading
03 Aug 18 > Reading 1-2 Derby County
13 Mar 18 > Wolverhampton Wanderers 3-0 Reading
30 Jan 18 > Burton Albion 1-3 Reading

Historically

Though league games with Middlesbrough stretch back all the way to 1927 they are a bit rare with only 16 played in Middlesbrough to date most of which have been since the late 80s. Of those 16 Reading haven't done too badly by recording 4 wins to 'boro's 8 however Reading have conceded twice as many as Middlesbrough (26 to 13) in that time.

Since 'boro moved to the Riverside Reading have visited on 11 occasions and won 3 but have lost 7 (including each of the last three visits by 2-1) so the suggestion is there won't be any sitting on the fence and one side or the other will run out winners. Additionally there should be goals about as the only draw at the Riverside was 1-1.

So 0-0 may well be a good bet then..

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Middlesbrough (a) sponsored by a Simon Cox chip

by URZZZZ » 10 Sep 2019 07:35

Could really do with a minimum of four points from Boro and Blackburn considering we have a tough week of fixtures after those two games. No need for knee jerk reactions after Charlton but I’d make a couple of changes

Rafael

Yiadom
Miazga
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Pele
Swift
Ejaria

Barrett
Puscas

Walker, two from Blackett/Obita/McIntyre, Rino, Boye, Meite, Joao

Think Barrett has earned a start and at the moment Joao is the most easily displaceable. Pele and Rino is a tough call but thinking about it not sure Rino is the one to replace him, he’s more suited to Swift or Ejaria’s role. Saying that, Pele needs a good performance. Not sure if Blackett is back, but no real need to rush him in anyway at this moment in time

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Sep 2019 08:06

URZZZZ Could really do with a minimum of four points from Boro and Blackburn considering we have a tough week of fixtures after those two games. No need for knee jerk reactions after Charlton but I’d make a couple of changes

Rafael

Yiadom
Miazga
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Pele
Swift
Ejaria

Barrett
Puscas

Think Barrett has earned a start and at the moment Joao is the most easily displaceable. Pele and Rino is a tough call but thinking about it not sure Rino is the one to replace him, he’s more suited to Swift or Ejaria’s role. Saying that, Pele needs a good performance. Not sure if Blackett is back, but no real need to rush him in anyway at this moment in time

I personally wouldn't play Barrett up front. From what I have seen of him he drifts a lot when off the ball. Not ideal in our set up. Happy for anyone who has seen him play more to correct me though.

Doesnt give us anyone showing for the ball with their back to goal either. Joao or Meite must start in my book. We need someone capable of tanking some hits up front to give the CBs something to worry about.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Sep 2019 08:28

Can you ever really trust Robert Jones?

jar95

by jar95 » 10 Sep 2019 08:30

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ Could really do with a minimum of four points from Boro and Blackburn considering we have a tough week of fixtures after those two games. No need for knee jerk reactions after Charlton but I’d make a couple of changes

Rafael

Yiadom
Miazga
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Pele
Swift
Ejaria

Barrett
Puscas

I personally wouldn't play Barrett up front. From what I have seen of him he drifts a lot when off the ball. Not ideal in our set up. Happy for anyone who has seen him play more to correct me though.

Doesnt give us anyone showing for the ball with their back to goal either. Joao or Meite must start in my book. We need someone capable of tanking some hits up front to give the CBs something to worry about.

Tend to agree with this. Barrett is a bit unlucky at the moment, I believe his performances deserve a start, however I'm not really sure where he fits in this new formation. Joao and Puscas for me.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Sep 2019 08:46

Barrett is Swift/Ejaria cover imo.

Would pick the same team as started at Charlton. Hopefully they've been working on what to do if we go a goal down, which doesn't consist of taking off the wing backs and throwing on a load of forwards

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Sep 2019 08:50

Hound Barrett is Swift/Ejaria cover imo.

Would pick the same team as started at Charlton. Hopefully they've been working on what to do if we go a goal down, which doesn't consist of taking off the wing backs and throwing on a load of forwards

That's ideally where he fits in (obviously also as a winger if we need a formation change mid match) but is up against stiff competition in the all rounder Rinomhota.

Maybe bring Barrett on if chasing a goal, bring Rinomhota on if defending a lead?

Don't Panic

by Don't Panic » 10 Sep 2019 13:20

Sutekh
Lastly, Jose’s no. 2, Jorge Mendonca, will be hoping to achieve a hat trick of cautions.

Fixed it for you

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Sep 2019 17:41

NewCorkSeth

Rafael

Yiadom
Miazga
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Pele
Swift
Ejaria

Barrett
Puscas

Yeah same shape makes no sense with Barrett.

If Moore wasn't captain he'd be the first one I'd drop to bring Miazga back in. Although, I would also prefer Morrison as captain.

I think we should probably show faith and assume there's been good work in training and Charlton was an off day.

So despite the fact I'd want to drop Joao for Meite
Pele for Rino, and
Moore for Miazga

Based on Charlton. I'll stick with the same side, maybe Miazga for McIntyre if he's fully fit.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Sep 2019 17:44

NewCorkSeth
Hound Barrett is Swift/Ejaria cover imo.

That's ideally where he fits in (obviously also as a winger if we need a formation change mid match) but is up against stiff competition in the all rounder Rinomhota.

Maybe bring Barrett on if chasing a goal, bring Rinomhota on if defending a lead?

Depends what the problem is. Against Charlton we were a goal down, but what we really needed was more presence in midfield and breaking up attacks. Not exposing our dreadfully exposed flanks further and going gung ho. Or in the case of Barrett for Ejaria/Swift continuing to be as powderpuff fancy as we were, just with a different player.

IMO the correct move was Meite for Joao and Rino on for one of the three midfielders.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Sep 2019 18:36

NewCorkSeth

Rafael

Yiadom
Miazga
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Pele
Swift
Ejaria

Barrett
Puscas

Was disappointed about Joao against Charlton, looked half arsed. Although Boro look susceptible to crosses so maybe it’s a game suited to Joao

Was more hinting towards a diamond in midfield with Barrett at the base rather than Barrett up front. It’s similar enough to the job Boye did vs West Brom which I thought he did OK against

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Sep 2019 20:07

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth

Rafael

Yiadom
Miazga
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Pele
Swift
Ejaria

Barrett
Puscas

Was disappointed about Joao against Charlton, looked half arsed. Although Boro look susceptible to crosses so maybe it’s a game suited to Joao

Was more hinting towards a diamond in midfield with Barrett at the base rather than Barrett up front. It’s similar enough to the job Boye did vs West Brom which I thought he did OK against

A diamond in midfield with a back 5 sounds like something only a truly dominant team could pull off tbh.

I understand the disappointment with Joao but, honestly, the work he did do was essential and nobody else in the team bar Meite could do it.

For me he starts till Meite proves hes better whether that be as a sub or on the training ground or in cup games.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Sep 2019 20:08

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

Rafael

Yiadom
Miazga
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Pele
Swift
Ejaria

Barrett
Puscas

Yeah same shape makes no sense with Barrett.

If Moore wasn't captain he'd be the first one I'd drop to bring Miazga back in. Although, I would also prefer Morrison as captain.

I think we should probably show faith and assume there's been good work in training and Charlton was an off day.

So despite the fact I'd want to drop Joao for Meite
Pele for Rino, and
Moore for Miazga

Based on Charlton. I'll stick with the same side, maybe Miazga for McIntyre if he's fully fit.

Moore was our weakest player in the last game but I'm not going to panic just yet. I have faith in el capitan.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 11 Sep 2019 01:38

thanks

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Sep 2019 14:46

Miazga out for this one. Barrett a doubt. McIntyre seems to have recovered from illness and Blackett is back from a hamstring problem

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Sep 2019 18:51

URZZZZ Miazga out for this one. Barrett a doubt. McIntyre seems to have recovered from illness and Blackett is back from a hamstring problem

Barrett is a doubt through illness.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Sep 2019 18:51

Good to have Blackett back available as an option.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Sep 2019 06:05

On the ‘boro injury front apparently captain George Friend (thigh) and Jonny Howson (hernia) underwent surgeries Tuesday so presume they will miss the game v Reading.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 12 Sep 2019 14:07

I think the break will have done us good. Blackett returning is also good news.

The likes of Boye & Meite will be hungry for goals and to make an impact in these next run of games. I’d start both of them tbh.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Sep 2019 22:02

Weird stat but since 2015/16 our record after the international break is

W12
D2
L2

Those losses included two of our better performances of 17/18 against Wolves (H) and Bristol (H). We seem to have a habit of playing well after two weeks off

106 posts