GOMES OUT!

806 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: GOMES OUT!

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Sep 2019 18:35

genome
WoodleyRoyal Reckon he’s gone... quit or fired dunno but I reckon that’s it. Him done

No chance. 3 games ago people were spaffing themselves silly about the prospect of the playoffs. Another 5 games at least before the owners get twitchy IMO

Oddly 5 games is what I was think too. Maybe because its an easy number to think about. Although I dont rate his chances of getting good results from the next 5.

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 21 Sep 2019 18:36

Sacking Gomes won’t help things atm, but I really don’t get the hype about the bloke. Had many defeats under him.

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 21 Sep 2019 18:41

WoodleyRoyal Chris Hughton please

Great great shout

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 21 Sep 2019 18:50

WestRoyal

Great great shout

No - negative ponderous football. Got very lucky at Brighton.

krapmle

by krapmle » 21 Sep 2019 18:59

WestRoyal

Great great shout

are you relatives of Chris?

Very negative manager. Not for Reading

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 21 Sep 2019 19:08

No other stand out candidate with a proven championship pedigree. Whether you like his tactics or not, we won’t be fighting a relegation battle with him at the helm.

krapmle

by krapmle » 21 Sep 2019 19:13

there are plenty of managers who would love to get the Reading managers position.
Chris Hughton not a stand out candidate plus we still have a manager

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Sep 2019 19:17

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Sep 2019 19:40

Snowflake Royal Whilst it is of course way too early to talk about Gomes out, for me, unlike my view on Clement's tenure, the issues with this side are almost exclusively tactical and managerial.

We have the players to do much better.

Yes and no. Yes in that the formation Gomes is deploying isn’t working. The back three are not good enough to play out from the back. Please stop this short ball out from the back Jose. It’s not working. The system also relies on wingbacks rather than wingers pushing forward. When the move breaks down with Yiadom and our opponents counter quickly he is nowhere to be seen and we are then wide open as per Blackburn’s second goal.
We also lack width and pace without an out and out winger in the team.

No in that I am not convinced our players are that good. Joao looks like a bit of a dud. Puscas has been wildly over-hyped for someone whose technical ability is ordinary.
Is Boyé effective? Rafael is no Emi Martinez. Morrison is a decent but limited centre back. Adam was a pointless signing.

However fully agreed Gomes should be given time but unlike Clement he has the luxury of a virtually fully fit squad to chose from. He needs to be doing better than this. A lot better.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Sep 2019 19:43

NewCorkSeth
genome
WoodleyRoyal Reckon he’s gone... quit or fired dunno but I reckon that’s it. Him done

No chance. 3 games ago people were spaffing themselves silly about the prospect of the playoffs. Another 5 games at least before the owners get twitchy IMO

Oddly 5 games is what I was think too. Maybe because its an easy number to think about. Although I dont rate his chances of getting good results from the next 5.

He needs to be given until Christmas. My fear is that if we lose the next three he will be sacked. I hope not. He deserves time.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Sep 2019 19:44

Snowflake Royal
genome

Traditional sacking months are December and March aren't they?

One awful performance doesn't deserve a sacking, but there's a whole lot he needs to stop doing wrong.

Yep.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 21 Sep 2019 19:48

Snowflake Royal
One awful performance doesn't deserve a sacking...

Sort of agree, but: Did you perchance miss our inspired performance against Mighty Charlton?!

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 21 Sep 2019 19:53

34 games to date 9 wins 12 draws 13 defeats

39 points out of a possible 102 averaging 1.1 points per game, over a season? 50 points.

Current win percentage 26.5%

Paul Clement 30 games 7 wins 8 draws 15 defeats

29 points out of a possible 90 averaging 0.96 points per game, over a season? 44 points

Win percentage 23.3 %

The vast majority of People were calling for clements head towards the end of his tenure.

Gomes has been backed far more than Clement was, Gomes has had better players at his disposal than Clement had.

I just don’t understand the steadfast backing a manager who basically has the same record as a manger who people were desperate to get rid of.

If clement had the players that Jose has had at his disposal he would have us higher in the league

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Sep 2019 20:02

Singing Defective
Snowflake Royal
One awful performance doesn't deserve a sacking...

Sort of agree, but: Did you perchance miss our inspired performance against Mighty Charlton?!

Nope. I'm 0-0-3 this season.

Iirc and I tend to put games out of my mind as quickly as possible these days, we were really good first half and then absolutely destroyed second. So in many ways it was second half of Charlton all game long. Iirc. Which I probably don't.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Sep 2019 20:04

WoodleyRoyal 34 games to date 9 wins 12 draws 13 defeats

39 points out of a possible 102 averaging 1.1 points per game, over a season? 50 points.

29 points out of a possible 90 averaging 0.96 points per game, over a season? 44 points

Win percentage 23.3 %

The vast majority of People were calling for clements head towards the end of his tenure.

Gomes has been backed far more than Clement was, Gomes has had better players at his disposal than Clement had.

I just don’t understand the steadfast backing a manager who basically has the same record as a manger who people were desperate to get rid of.

If clement had the players that Jose has had at his disposal he would have us higher in the league

I don’t agree. We were in dire straits when Gomes took over. He kept us up without spending a penny in the transfer window. Clement was given until December before he was sacked. Gomes absolutely deserves a similar amount of time. Let’s see if he can turn things around. If he can’t then fair enough let him go. Its only eight games in FFS.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Sep 2019 20:10

Zip

Win percentage 23.3 %

I don’t agree. We were in dire straits when Gomes took over. He kept us up without spending a penny in the transfer window. Clement was given until December before he was sacked. Gomes absolutely deserves a similar amount of time. Let’s see if he can turn things around. If he can’t then fair enough let him go. Its only eight games in FFS.
Who needs to spend a penny when you're handed 5 excellent loanees.

Regardless, Gomes has had plenty of backing over the summer and needs to deliver.

His signings not looking so hot are they.

Virginia - shit
Cabral - decent
Morrison (allegedly nothing to do with him) - good
Miazga - good
Adam - shit
Pele - shit
Ejaria - good
Joao - mediocre
Puscas - decent
Boye - shit

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Sep 2019 20:12

Snowflake Royal
Zip

Win percentage 23.3 %

Regardless, Gomes has had plenty of backing over the summer and needs to deliver.

Virginia - shit
Cabral - decent
Miazga - good
Adam - shit
Pele - shit
Ejaria - good
Joao - mediocre
Puscas - decent
Boye - shit

Pretty harsh on Pele, he’s been no better/worse than Joao. Puscas has underperformed too. The best signing so far is Morrison and as you say he was allegedly not his signing. It’s conceding

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 21 Sep 2019 20:13

Gomes was allowed to bring in baker Miazga ovie Martinez and olivera

Clement also inherited a shit squad in - free fall, and kept us up against the odds, like Gomes. Gomes has been given MORE time and TWO windows to sort it out were as Clement only had from March to December.

I’m not saying the sacking of Clement was the wrong decision I agreed it was time to go. I’m just pointing out that Gomes has had longer, more resources and is doing no better. So why shouldn’t we start calling for change?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Sep 2019 20:16

Snowflake Royal
Zip

Win percentage 23.3 %

Virginia - shit
Cabral - decent
Miazga - good
Adam - shit
Pele - shit
Ejaria - good
Joao - mediocre
Puscas - decent
Boye - shit

Hang on. You said we were down last season when Clement was sacked. Yet Gomes kept us up. Besides the loaners had to gel. Gomes played his part in that and brought a feel good factor back to the club. He deserves a lot longer than eight games. Besides Clement spent money. How much did Baldock cost? Who was sold under Clement? What about NET transfer spend for Clement v Gomes?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 21 Sep 2019 20:19

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Virginia - shit
Cabral - decent
Miazga - good
Adam - shit
Pele - shit
Ejaria - good
Joao - mediocre
Puscas - decent
Boye - shit

Hang on. You said we were down last season when Clement was sacked. Yet Gomes kept us up. Besides the loaners had to gel. Gomes played his part in that and brought a feel good factor back to the club. He deserves a lot longer than eight games. Besides Clement spent money. How much did Baldock cost? Who was sold under Clement? What about NET transfer spend for Clement v Gomes?

Clement also kept us up in similar circumstances but that’s forgotten we were dead certs to go down till he came in. And how many of Clements signings were his, and how many were gourlays?

806 posts