BFTG Swansea Away

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

BFTG Swansea Away

by SWLR » 28 Sep 2019 18:24

Well back in the Mumbles
First half - no shape, forwards unable to hold-up a ball or pass. Rhino and Swift held it together.
2nd half - shape, controlled the game, but few chances until Yiadom's master blaster.

Who puts corned beef in a pasty???

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Swansea Away

by URZZZZ » 28 Sep 2019 18:37

Positives : End of the 5 at the back nonsense, certainly for a while anyway
Swift and Rino dominated the midfield in the second half
Moore and Morrison were solid together
Yiadom
Gomes making the obvious sub of bringing off Boye when he was close to a red card
Barrett looks a lot more mature than he did the last couple of years in his brief cameo
We didn’t lose

Negatives : Such a bad goal to concede. Blackett, Moore and Morrison all at fault, so early on as well
Movement. Too static, Swift one of the only ones to pass and move, Joao moved about but couldn’t control it
Puscas has a really poor first touch. His lay-off to Swift about 40 minutes in summed up his game. He also seems to snap at his chances which are first time finishes
Still too slow on the ball. One touch, move it on. Not four touches
Half time situation. Embarrassing. How it’s even possible to not have someone ready after 15 minutes defies me
Ejaria is reverting back to his last season form. Not doing anything
Why set rules and yet not enforce them. When a player is subbed off, they leave at the closest sideline. Two of Swansea’s subs ignored the rule the ref did nothing about it

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Sep 2019 19:00

Rafael - 7 - Seemed composed but actually didnt have much to do. He rushed off his line well. I liked that.
Yiadom - 8 - Genuinely think he is the best RB in the league. He lost his man once in the second half and that was down to the opponents skill. Still cant believe he scored! Hes usually so bad at shooting. MOTM obviously
Morrison - 7 - Solid. Which is a good thing. Hes fairly reliable.
Moore - 7 - I guess. He was pretty good. Oddly he was much, much better in the back 4 than the back 3.
Blackett - 5 - Harsh but he was poor before he came off.
Obita - 6 - He is not ready to start imo. Richards was poor when he came on but didnt deserve to be dropped.
Rinomhota - 7 -I thought he did alright. Again, he was better in the second half under the other formation.
Ejaria - 7 - Boy can he dribble. He did really well today I thought, but there was nobody for him to play it forward to all game.
Swift - 8 - He gets an extra point because I love him. He looked top drawer today. What a man.
Boye, Puscas, Joao - 5 - They all get 5's. Sure Joao got an assist but overall he was poor. Not as poor as the other 2 I guess. But still poor.

Richards - 5 - Did not look good. Or confident.
Barrett - 9 (for about 5 minutes), 6 (overall) - He looked completely in control for 5 minutes. I really thought he would be the one to make the difference.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 28 Sep 2019 19:10

Well that was a weird game. Pretty poor one to watch as well. We were pretty pants for about 60-65 minutes of it but kept going and got our reward after giving a poor goal away so early. I was expecting more from Swansea, aside from the goal, they didn't really look that dangerous (as like us). Draw was arguably fair based on that.

Gomes got our starting 11 and tactics wrong. The injury to Blackett was a blessing and allowed us to play the 4-2-3-1 which we played in our first 2 games. Decent point although a pretty average performance in all honesty.

My ratings:

Rafael - 6 - didn't have much to do. Had no chance with their goal.
Yiadom - 7 - did ok, was a fantastic strike to snatch a draw for us.
Moore - 5 - another pretty flat performance. He needs to up his game
Morrison - 6 wasn't much better
Blackett - 6 until he came off
Obita - 4 - was disappointing. He cannot beat a man. We're likely to create more chances via crosses and he needs to beat his man. Defended poorly in my view too. Richards should be playing.
Rinomhota - 7 - thought he played quite well
Swift - 7 - had a pretty good game
Ejaria - 5 - bar one moment of brilliance in the 2nd half I thought he was pretty average. He looked out of position today. Not sure if that's poor management or good opposition tactics.
Boye - 2 - rubbish and rightly subbed. Nothing happened for him. He would probably have been sent off otherwise.
Puscas - 4 - didn't do a lot and missed another very good chance

Subs
Joao - 6 - played better today. Held the ball up well, set up Yiadom for the goal.
Barrett - 6 - did a job. Needs to start vs Fulham
Richards - 5 - wasn't on long enough to make a real impact

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 28 Sep 2019 20:44

Back from iFollow....

Well, that was a game of two halves.

Hopefully, even Gomes can see now that Boye really isn't very good, and neither is Joao. The former thinks he's all flicks and tricks and he's not. The latter is just an ambling lump with a very poor first touch, can't hold the ball up or pick a pass (except the one-two and slide through for Yiadom for the goal - except he was trying to thread it to Puscas.)

Barrett impressed even though he looks like he's carrying a bit of timber and was gasping after about five minutes. If he learns when he needs to keep it simple (without impacting his desire for the flash,) he'll be a decent player.

4-2-3-1 from henceforth, please. Rino and Swift holding and Barrett, Olise, Ejaria the three. I'd still persevere with Puscas and use the lump Meite for the last 25.

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 28 Sep 2019 21:02

Very frustrating to watch, the equaliser papered over what was a fairly poor game for the vast majority. First half was littered with individual errors, the second was much more cohesive but too often we'd just pass it backwards. There's still far too little movement off the ball, everyone is so static. Swansea looked very organised, and will be disappointed not to have held out - still, the team showed some good spirit to keep going until the very end, and got their reward.

Rafael 7 - made a couple of good saves second half, couldn't do much about their goal. Still don't 100% understand the constant goal kicks to a player who is in a no better position than the GK, but he might be doing that under Gomes' instruction.
Yiadom 8 - plus a point for the goal. Generally did well both defensively and offensively.
Morrison 6 - fine. Passing is better than Moore, but still fairly slow and predictable. Always looked calm.
Moore 5 - did okay, though his passing range is pretty poor. The only passes he seemed to make were short to Obita/Richards or a long hoof. A CB doesn't need to be a wonder playmaker, but it's so easy to close down when you know exactly what he's going to do.
Blackett N/A - didn't really have long enough to make an impression.
Obita 5 - nothing terrible but doesn't seem quite 100%, lacking confidence to take anyone on. Seemed to be caught out of position a couple of times. Hope the injury forcing him off wasn't serious, he needs a few games to get back into the swing of first team football.
Rinomhota 8 - prefer him to Pele, better going forward whilst still screening the back line pretty well. Should keep his place.
Swift 7 - nearly an 8, he played well. Most of our most dangerous attacks came through him, though was sloppy at times first half.
Ejaria 4 - poor. Not the dazzling feet of the Cardiff/Huddersfield games. Went down too many blind alleys and too often turned and went backwards. Not sure he's very effective out wide.
Boye 5 - usually did the first three-quarters well, then messed up the final ball. Looked fairly strong, but could've also got sent off for two silly challenges. Right decision to be subbed at HT.
Puscas 2 - I really want him to succeed but this was a bad performance. Missed a sitter, misplaced his passes, didn't hold up the ball well.

Subs:
Joao 7 - obviously was asked to play more of a CAM and it worked okay. Didn't fall over as much, and it was a very cultured assist.
Barrett 6 - very energetic, pretty good performance but needs to work on the final ball/shot. Gave us more width than Boye.
Richards N/A.

Gomes 5 - initially, I think the setup was wrong. To his credit he did change it, but not sure if that was out of choice or necessity of the Blackett injury. We're still too slow and ponderous off the ball - where are the runs? Still, it's hard not to like him.

For Fulham, I'd personally go: Rafael, Yiadom, Miazga, Morrison, Richards, Rino, Pele, Barrett, Swift, Meite, Puscas (hopefully today was a blip).

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Sep 2019 21:25

Just a thought but maybe we are a bit better than our position, and eventually it will start to show. Today we drew away at Swansea who are one point off top, (and would have gone top with a win) and we drew away at West Brom who ARE top

We’ve played 9 games against:

2 of the top 2
3 of the top 6
4 of the top 7
5 of the top 11
6 of the top 12
7 of the top 15

only two of our opponents would be considered ”lowly” ATM, Huddersfield and Boro and we won one of those, were unlucky to lose the other

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 28 Sep 2019 21:26

I said after the Wycombe and Cardiff games 5 ATB won't work against sides who don't let us dominate the midfield. Our "wing backs" aren't good enough (compared to Swansea, Leeds, Fulham 2016/2017).

Unfortunately we don't have any decent wide players to play 4 ATB either.

So basically we'll struggle against any team who stop Swift and Ejaria playing.

We're so easy to play against.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Sep 2019 22:40

Shit first half better 2nd half Swansea a strong side but apart from their goal they didn`t really threaten.
Defence good after the first 5 minutes,
Midfield average with Swift once again pulling the strings.
Up front , bloody frustrating, I`m sure theres a real decent player in the Boye body but its not coming off, and George needs to get his arse in gear, tbf he only had one chance but too often he gets under the ball .

Good night.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 28 Sep 2019 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 28 Sep 2019 23:15

Wow Swansea to Notts is a looong drive. Yiadom made it much more bearable though!

Main questions for me:
1) Why did we spend £13m on bang average strikers? I’ll give them longer before coming to a firm conclusion...but for now we’ve signed lots of forward players who don’t look like they want to play together
2) Does Puscas want to be here? He was woeful today
3) Do the players know how to pass forward?
4) Where’s the movement up front? Probably the reason the midfield didn’t pass it forwards
5) Ejaria...it looks very silky going backwards & forwards...but it’s a bit of a waste of time if he’s not actually going to progress up the field much. Having said that...he did a great lay off to Barrett in the 2nd half
6) Why was Richards dropped? Started the season really well. Surely the time to replace him with Obita was when his form had dropped?
7) agree with comments that the Blackett injury was a blessing as it allowed us to change shape. And when we did, we controlled the game a lot better

But...for all the slow boring stuff...the trip was well worth the pandemonium when Yiadom scored. That’s what going to games is all about

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Sep 2019 23:22

Notts Royal 5) Ejaria...it looks very silky going backwards & forwards...but it’s a bit of a waste of time if he’s not actually going to progress up the field much. Having said that...he did a great lay off to Barrett in the 2nd half

Were you in the toilet when he went on that mazy 2nd half run beating 3 players before forcing the keeper to a near post save?
Agreed he didn`t have his best game, but to miss that out is just wrong.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 28 Sep 2019 23:39

First 25min or so we were just horrible. The remainder we were average to good but still could not make that incisive move to get a goal until the dying stages. I think Barrett should start as he provided the energy and spark we needed and has a nice final ball unlike Boyet.

Overall I can enjoy my pint (or four) tonight...

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 28 Sep 2019 23:52

windermereROYAL
Notts Royal 5) Ejaria...it looks very silky going backwards & forwards...but it’s a bit of a waste of time if he’s not actually going to progress up the field much. Having said that...he did a great lay off to Barrett in the 2nd half

Were you in the toilet when he went on that mazy 2nd half run beating 3 players before forcing the keeper to a near post save?
Agreed he didn`t have his best game, but to miss that out is just wrong.

I saw it mate & he is a good player. However, in general there was a lot of movement forward 10 yards then back again. I get it...the modern footballer is different & he has to trick his opponent. But he just needed to release it earlier. He’s young & will learn...and the potential is certainly there. And...it makes it harder to release it when there’s sod all movement in front of him!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 29 Sep 2019 10:54

SWLR Well back in the Mumbles
First half - no shape, forwards unable to hold-up a ball or pass. Rhino and Swift held it together.
2nd half - shape, controlled the game, but few chances until Yiadom's master blaster.

Who puts corned beef in a pasty???

Tbf in weighing up whether to go to the game or not having a corner beef pasty is one of the few plus points!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Sep 2019 11:33

Was quite a decent day really, 7 coaches, not bad, they are parked up in a secure fenced off zone, the away turnstiles are in the same pen. when I was leaving there was a young Swansea fan pushing his hands through the bars wanting to shake hands with has many of us as he could as we filed out of the ground.
The game as a spectacle really wasn`t much, its easy to see why Swansea don't let in many goals, they are all over you like a rash all over the pitch , but going forward-well yesterday anyway- they posed a minimal threat at best. stats say they had 4 on target, apart from the goal I`m struggling to remember when Rafael was seriously tested.
I see Cooper is moaning as to why Lucas Boye didn`t get a second yellow at the end of the first half for dragging back Matt Grimes when he was breaking down the wing, the ref did us a favour there, I think we dodged a bullet, maybe the fact it was not in our half saved him.
Puscas is getting stick all over social media this morning, yes he missing apparent easy chances, yesterday the ball was ever so slightly behind him and he had to dig it out hence no control, his hold up play wasn`t great but good strikers are more effective facing the goal not with their back to it, I remember Trevor Senior wasn`t greal in the outfield but dynamite in front of goal,
Patience and time are needed, not 2 words alot of Reading fans adhere to.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 29 Sep 2019 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 29 Sep 2019 12:02

Let us not forget we should not be down with the dead men,with this large expensive squad.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Sep 2019 12:14

Westwood52 Let us not forget we should not be down with the dead men,with this large expensive squad.

Why? That's where we've consistently been for some time.

Our recruitment is full of inexperienced young players and those with a hit and miss record.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Sep 2019 12:16

So our best team is still pretty much the players we had at the end of last season?

I think Puscas has got something and clearly the keeper is decent but the rest?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Sep 2019 12:17

leon So our best team is still pretty much the players we had at the end of last season?

Morrison is good.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Sep 2019 12:24

Snowflake Royal
leon So our best team is still pretty much the players we had at the end of last season?

Morrison is good.

Yeah forgot about him. He’s fitted n well .