55%
Out
45%

Total votes: 124
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Gomes, Should he stay or should he go? Mk2

by URZZZZ » 07 Oct 2019 16:28

There are a couple of rumours on Twitter Gomes has gone. This is Twitter though so not sure how believable it is

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Oct 2019 16:34

The club should have at the very least have updated their shortlist of potential replacement managers, both short term keep us uppers and long term take us uppers.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Oct 2019 16:51

URZZZZ There are a couple of rumours on Twitter Gomes has gone. This is Twitter though so not sure how believable it is

Where? All I can see is one user joking about it and pretending to be a Southampton fan?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 07 Oct 2019 17:08

:?
Last edited by royalp-we on 07 Oct 2019 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Oct 2019 17:33

Isn’t that Eddie fc character itk ?

Don’t follow a lot of twitter so don’t know

He reckons it’s happened and Hughton replacing

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2019 17:41

Denver Royal
Ascotexgunner Give me an argument why he should stay. The "we keep sacking managers" arguement is not a positive reason. That won't change our position.

hughsies no.1 Would be a bad decision to get rid of Gomes now IMHO despite an awful start to the season - which obviously cannot be ignored.

Reasons why i think he should get until the end of the year to turn it around -

- 8 new signings: that is wholesale change again and doesn't all click in to place overnight, this is now Gomes' squad and we have seen glimpses of the team working together. Gomes does need to nail down a team though, as clearly still doesn't know his best XI

- Creating chances: it's not like we are coming away from these defeats waving a white flag when we go behind. If it wasn't for the poor finishing (sadly Puscas) we would have gone in at HT 1up vs Charlton, got a point at Charlton, arguably won at Swansea, drawn at Bristol. Ok, all if buts and maybes but it is not like we are not creating these chances and surely is only a matter of time

- Time: if it doesn't work out by the end of December there is still time for someone to come in and keep us up (as proven last season) and also allows for replacement to make a few signings in January if needed

- Togetherness: despite the results, Mad Stad atmosphere has changed dramatically under Gomes (C1871 clearly played a huge part but without the results on the pitch last season it wouldn't be as prominent as it is now)

- Replacement: who would we get, for me - Parky/ Ainsworth or Hughes wouldn't be the answer and there are no Dean Smith types that Villa astutely appointed last season to come in. So I don't see anyone out there at present. Suggestions welcome...

I get results are not how we want them, but if we were losing every week 3-0 / 4-0 with no shots on target etc and lack of fight I would be first to want him gone.

Give him until the end of December.

8 new signings
This has some validity. It's certainly true that Baker and Ejaria took some time to flower under Gomes before. However. Ejaria and Miazga aren't actually new, they were here last season. Morrison settled in immediately as his early performances showed. Adam isn't playing. Cabral has settled in straight away. So what you really mean is that Puscas, Joao and Pele need time. Joao has never settled and established himself anywhere.

On top of that, I look at our performances and I don't see the issues being individual players. There's certainly a lack of cohesion and understanding to an extent - particularly upfront. But I can only return to the main problems, IMO, being management based. Selection, shape, tactics, substitution, pressing, passing style.

These players absolutely deserve time (mostly). I wouldn't want a new manager to be a sea change of players AGAIN. But I think a new manager with a sensible and pragmatic approach would get the players firing better. I see this as a Rodgers vs McDermott moment, not a Stam vs Clement point.

If the manager doesn't have a decent idea of his best XI or formation after 23 games last season, a full pre-season and 11 games this season, hes got no business in management.

Creating chances
We're creating a few, but not exactly lots of great chances. We haven't been fluffing good chances regularly no matter what anyone wants to say about Puscas... a few maybe. And usually once the other team has shut up shop and allowed us to play whilst we half heartedly throw the kitchen sink on the floor at our feet.

Time
This isn't a reason I'll accept. We could give him til March and still just about have time to sort it out and survive. We cannot keep ruining our season and pulling the parachute cord just in time to survive. We need to finish a season well for a change and be clear of the business end of a relegation fight.

Togetherness
I also don't accept this as valid. This is basically a case of, well the atmosphere lifted last season. Yeah, well it's now this season and clearly that isn't working anymore. The feel good factor is well and truly gone. So sorry, not buying.

Replacement
Sorry, also not having this one. You don't keep someone underperforming for fear of not being able to find someone better. There are numerous managers around with better records than Gomes. Multiple suggestions have been made and it's not the job of fans to assess appropriate replacements. I do not buy no one else could do better. I think that's a valid argument if the manager is doing the right things and the squad just isn't performing, or there's an injury crisis. But that doesn't apply to our circumstances.

So I appreciate the effort and the first two have at least some validity even if I don't agree with them. But the rest of it is just blind faith, appeals to last season or ignorance of alternatives.

Doesn't persuade me in the slightest.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Oct 2019 17:42

Hound Isn’t that Eddie fc character itk ?

He was right with quite a few team selections earlier on in the season but haven't checked recently.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Oct 2019 17:44

This Eddie chap does appear to be itk. Zip jnr often gets team news from him over an hour before kick,off so he does seem to have a source at the club.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Oct 2019 17:50

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal
Ascotexgunner Give me an argument why he should stay. The "we keep sacking managers" arguement is not a positive reason. That won't change our position.

hughsies no.1 Would be a bad decision to get rid of Gomes now IMHO despite an awful start to the season - which obviously cannot be ignored.

- 8 new signings: that is wholesale change again and doesn't all click in to place overnight, this is now Gomes' squad and we have seen glimpses of the team working together. Gomes does need to nail down a team though, as clearly still doesn't know his best XI

- Creating chances: it's not like we are coming away from these defeats waving a white flag when we go behind. If it wasn't for the poor finishing (sadly Puscas) we would have gone in at HT 1up vs Charlton, got a point at Charlton, arguably won at Swansea, drawn at Bristol. Ok, all if buts and maybes but it is not like we are not creating these chances and surely is only a matter of time

- Time: if it doesn't work out by the end of December there is still time for someone to come in and keep us up (as proven last season) and also allows for replacement to make a few signings in January if needed

- Togetherness: despite the results, Mad Stad atmosphere has changed dramatically under Gomes (C1871 clearly played a huge part but without the results on the pitch last season it wouldn't be as prominent as it is now)

- Replacement: who would we get, for me - Parky/ Ainsworth or Hughes wouldn't be the answer and there are no Dean Smith types that Villa astutely appointed last season to come in. So I don't see anyone out there at present. Suggestions welcome...

I get results are not how we want them, but if we were losing every week 3-0 / 4-0 with no shots on target etc and lack of fight I would be first to want him gone.

8 new signings
This has some validity. It's certainly true that Baker and Ejaria took some time to flower under Gomes before. However. Ejaria and Miazga aren't actually new, they were here last season. Morrison settled in immediately as his early performances showed. Adam isn't playing. Cabral has settled in straight away. So what you really mean is that Puscas, Joao and Pele need time. Joao has never settled and established himself anywhere.

On top of that, I look at our performances and I don't see the issues being individual players. There's certainly a lack of cohesion and understanding to an extent - particularly upfront. But I can only return to the main problems, IMO, being management based. Selection, shape, tactics, substitution, pressing, passing style.

These players absolutely deserve time (mostly). I wouldn't want a new manager to be a sea change of players AGAIN. But I think a new manager with a sensible and pragmatic approach would get the players firing better. I see this as a Rodgers vs McDermott moment, not a Stam vs Clement point.

If the manager doesn't have a decent idea of his best XI or formation after 23 games last season, a full pre-season and 11 games this season, hes got no business in management.

Creating chances
We're creating a few, but not exactly lots of great chances. We haven't been fluffing good chances regularly no matter what anyone wants to say about Puscas... a few maybe. And usually once the other team has shut up shop and allowed us to play whilst we half heartedly throw the kitchen sink on the floor at our feet.

Time
This isn't a reason I'll accept. We could give him til March and still just about have time to sort it out and survive. We cannot keep ruining our season and pulling the parachute cord just in time to survive. We need to finish a season well for a change and be clear of the business end of a relegation fight.

Togetherness
I also don't accept this as valid. This is basically a case of, well the atmosphere lifted last season. Yeah, well it's now this season and clearly that isn't working anymore. The feel good factor is well and truly gone. So sorry, not buying.

Replacement
Sorry, also not having this one. You don't keep someone underperforming for fear of not being able to find someone better. There are numerous managers around with better records than Gomes. Multiple suggestions have been made and it's not the job of fans to assess appropriate replacements. I do not buy no one else could do better. I think that's a valid argument if the manager is doing the right things and the squad just isn't performing, or there's an injury crisis. But that doesn't apply to our circumstances.

So I appreciate the effort and the first two have at least some validity even if I don't agree with them. But the rest of it is just blind faith, appeals to last season or ignorance of alternatives.

Yep, that was hughsies post, and I noticed it hadn't received any responses (until now). Good points.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Oct 2019 17:53

Yes he gets info on all the team lineups and it’s bang on every week

krapmle

by krapmle » 07 Oct 2019 17:55

this is why he should go:

Gomes has had a long and varied coaching career but he has failed to settle at any one club for a long period.
He has not been an outstanding success with a club. History indicates he does not stay long at whatever side he is at.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Oct 2019 17:55

genome

Interesting.

krapmle

by krapmle » 07 Oct 2019 18:01

CountryRoyal
genome

Interesting.

now its definately bullsh*t

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2019 18:07

genome

Could you chaps expand on this for the non-twatterati? I appear to have missed something.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Oct 2019 18:18

Snowflake Royal
genome

Could you chaps expand on this for the non-twatterati? I appear to have missed something.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EddieRFC7/st ... 2170838018

This guy got a lot of signings correct and has got every XI he’s published correct

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Oct 2019 18:23

We need to decide what our expectations are this season.

1) If we think these players might have a chance at the playoffs like some (erm.. maybe only me?) were expecting then we need to act very quickly, see if he can turn it around quickly and let him have a shot as he'll be best placed to do it, but if he can't then we need to bring in someone who can. Otherwise it's a wasted season.

2) If we think these players are largely shite and are relegation bound unless we have a miracle worker then again we need to be quite swift in our decision and give him a few games and if no good get someone else in who may save us.

3) But if we think they're too good to go down but too shit to challenge for playoffs but are afraid he may pull them undeservedly down in the relegation spots then it's not that much of an emergency and we'll have until the new year.

Given the expectations set by Gomes (of basically promotion) and the likely expectations therefore of the owners I suspect 1 is what they will do. A couple of crap results after the break and he's gone.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Oct 2019 18:24

[deleted duplicate]
Last edited by Millsy on 07 Oct 2019 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 07 Oct 2019 18:26

I can't see how he's going to turn it around, we improved last season by signing 2 or 3 of the better players in the league (for their position), now we have spent the most money in the division and look clueless. I remember in the summer Liam Moore saying they were going to start preseason with lots of running and would get the balls out after a week or so.
Pretty sure most managers ditched that kind of fitness training about 15 years ago.

Let's start again with someone not recommended to us by an agent this time.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Oct 2019 18:28

I heard the same thing from a separate source. Might all be coming from the same rumour mill - but mine wasn't twitter.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Oct 2019 18:29

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal

8 new signings

Creating chances

Time

Togetherness

Replacement

What’s it got to do with blind faith? He spent most of the summer working with the Academy lads before a splurge of signings as the season started. He has effectively been given nine games to get the team to flick. Nine games.

323 posts