806 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: GOMES OUT!

by URZZZZ » 07 Oct 2019 18:56

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip
So was he up to the job last season? Surely he would have been found out during a really tough relegation battle that started as soon as he landed the job if he wasn’t up to it.

With 5 excellent loanees and a really big feel good factor, barely.

Totally different conditions zip. Going in halfway through lifting the mood and just having to raise things a bit, to going in with a proper plan, having serious input on signings. Having to lift the players from your own issues.

Never stayed anywhere long. Never been particularly successful anyway. Never built a successful team.

Oh so only yesterday you admitted he did a good but now you say he was barely up to it. So it’s Gomes fault when it goes tits up and he gets no credit when the season turns around under his stewardship.

Clement got no credit for keeping us up by the way. “Oh, it was the other teams being bad”. Not directing at you directly, but I’m sick of the hypocrisy

He did his job last season. He isn’t doing it now. You say we’re 11 games through but that’s a quarter of the season. If he can change his ways, I’ll be happy for him to stay. But there’s no guarantee he will and we will 100% stay up with someone like Hughton

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Oct 2019 18:59

My sources are telling me he has been sacked.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Oct 2019 19:02

Zip
Hound
windermereROYAL How long before you`re calling for the head of the new manager? I`ll give it till Christmas.

I do think this is a little tiresome. The people asking for a change, with the exception of trolls/Brobot acting the clown have given pretty clear reasons why they think a change is necessary

It’s not a stamping feet tantrum - at least recognise that. We genuinely just don’t think he is up to the job and have tried to explain why

So was he up to the job last season? Surely he would have been found out during a really tough relegation battle that started as soon as he landed the job if he wasn’t up to it.

Been explained. He did well last year, but he should have kept us up. Honestly - 2 teams in Bolton and Ipswich were basically already done for. Rotherham, Wigan and Millwall were all various degrees of w@nk

I’ll know you’ll take it as rewriting history and fitting my agenda but he didn’t do that amazingly. And 5 quality loanees obvs helped a lot. It’s not Colin keeping up that rancid Rotherham team a few years back

But yes he did well. He has done awfully this season when given time to plan a season and the future beyond. Terrible tactics, poor man management, silly comments to the press

Good for a short term shot of feel good factor, poor for anything else

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Oct 2019 19:07

Hound
Zip
Hound
I do think this is a little tiresome. The people asking for a change, with the exception of trolls/Brobot acting the clown have given pretty clear reasons why they think a change is necessary

It’s not a stamping feet tantrum - at least recognise that. We genuinely just don’t think he is up to the job and have tried to explain why

Been explained. He did well last year, but he should have kept us up. Honestly - 2 teams in Bolton and Ipswich were basically already done for. Rotherham, Wigan and Millwall were all various degrees of w@nk

I’ll know you’ll take it as rewriting history and fitting my agenda but he didn’t do that amazingly. And 5 quality loanees obvs helped a lot. It’s not Colin keeping up that rancid Rotherham team a few years back

But yes he did well. He has done awfully this season when given time to plan a season and the future beyond. Terrible tactics, poor man management, silly comments to the press

How on earth could he plan for the new season with a transfer embargo in place? He spent most of the pre season with our Academy boys. We all knew it would take time for the squad to gel. Yet people only want him to have half a dozen weeks to sort it out.

Btw you are rewriting history. None of you were saying this about Gomes in May. The vast majority on here thought he did a cracking job.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Oct 2019 19:09

Zip
Hound
Zip

How on earth could he plan for the new season with a transfer embargo in place? He spent most of the pre season with our Academy boys. We all knew it would take time for the squad to gel. Yet people only want him to have half a dozen weeks to sort it out,

Theres no excuse for us to be in the relegation zone with the squad we have. Tactically we have been found out and the players seemingly have no idea what they are doing on the pitch due to the constant system changes. It might be time to go for Gomes.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Oct 2019 19:13

Old Man Andrews
Zip
Hound

How on earth could he plan for the new season with a transfer embargo in place? He spent most of the pre season with our Academy boys. We all knew it would take time for the squad to gel. Yet people only want him to have half a dozen weeks to sort it out,

Theres no excuse for us to be in the relegation zone with the squad we have. Tactically we have been found out and the players seemingly have no idea what they are doing on the pitch due to the constant system changes. It might be time to go for Gomes.

I keep hearing we have such a great squad. What is this based on? We made two big signings. One was a player who was usually on the bench at a mid table Championship squad. The other was someone most of us knew very little about who had not played in the Championship.

We have some skilful and talented players but they are ever so flaky. I am far from convinced this squad is that good,

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Oct 2019 19:15

Zip
Old Man Andrews
Zip

I keep hearing we have such a great squad. What is this based on? We made two big signings. One was a player who was usually on the bench at a mid table Championship squad. The other was someone most of us knew very little about who had not played in the Championship.

We have some skilful and talented players but they are ever so flaky. I am far from convinced this squad is that good,

Not saying it's a top 6 squad but it's at least a squad who should be improving and in and around mid table imo.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Oct 2019 19:24

Zip
Hound
Zip

How on earth could he plan for the new season with a transfer embargo in place? He spent most of the pre season with our Academy boys. We all knew it would take time for the squad to gel. Yet people only want him to have half a dozen weeks to sort it out.

Btw you are rewriting history. None of you were saying this about Gomes in May. The vast majority on here thought he did a cracking job.

It’s not rewriting history but reviewing in a different light

But yes I think people got carried away due to the misery of the previous season. 1871 happened about the same time and it worked well in unison

But how many games did we really play well in? Some of the performances were still miserable. Really poor performances in some big games like Ipswich second half, Rotherham 2nd half, Blackburn and Wigan (h) which were masked by a decent end result. Hanging on against some others like Brentford. Our XG was about the same as PC with a much better squad

I’m basing the long term on the fact he has never lasted more than a year or so elsewhere. Totally valid to look at his history
Last edited by Hound on 07 Oct 2019 19:27, edited 2 times in total.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Oct 2019 19:26

I admit I am unhappy with our tactics in recent months but as soon as I saw on twitter that he is about to be sacked I found out I want him to stay. Just for a bit longer. I believe in him. For some reason.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Oct 2019 19:27

NewCorkSeth I admit I am unhappy with our tactics in recent months but as soon as I saw on twitter that he is about to be sacked I found out I want him to stay. Just for a bit longer. I believe in him. For some reason.

His smile?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Oct 2019 19:30

NewCorkSeth I admit I am unhappy with our tactics in recent months but as soon as I saw on twitter that he is about to be sacked I found out I want him to stay. Just for a bit longer. I believe in him. For some reason.

I believe he can turn it around. He’s smart enough to see why we are failing. I believe the players are right behind him. He has to change tack though. More of the same equals the sack.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Oct 2019 19:31

Zip

I believe he can turn it around. He’s smart enough to see why we are failing. I believe the players are right behind him. He has to change tack though. More of the same equals the sack.

If he is that smart why can he not appear to see why we are failing? The players do not look like they have a clue what they are doing, not sure they are playing for him at all. John O'Shea doing the majority of the coaching on Saturday might be a clue the players don't really understand his messages.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Oct 2019 19:43

Old Man Andrews
Zip

If he is that smart why can he not appear to see why we are failing? The players do not look like they have a clue what they are doing, not sure they are playing for him at all. John O'Shea doing the majority of the coaching on Saturday might be a clue the players don't really understand his messages.

Presumably too stubborn to accept our tactics were not working. He has changed formations though. If he is in charge for the Preston game I expect to see our players working their nuts off in a high and hard press.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Oct 2019 19:43

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Oct 2019 19:51

that’ll be the ‘vote of confidence’ then

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 07 Oct 2019 19:58

It's nearly always a case of 'the king is dead, long live the king' with managers, but I do think I'd struggle to get back behind a Reading team for a while if they sacked Gomes

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Oct 2019 19:59

I'm assuming that no one was calling for Gomes to be sacked after we beat Huddersfield 2-0 away? So we're talking about a change of mind after 6 matches . . . . 6 matches . . . which include two away games against teams currently in the top six (one of which we drew).

Look - I thought that hiring the guy was a big mistake in the first place. And if this is just biting the bullet and correcting that mistake then fair enough. But I just completely reject that idea that you can judge any manager that is trying to get a load of new players working together on the basis of two months.

I mean - results in six games can be dependent on luck as much as anything. What if we'd got a lucky penalty or red card in a couple of the games and won? Would you then all be calling for him to stay? There's a reason why managers should be judged over seasons and not matches.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Oct 2019 20:01

+1

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 07 Oct 2019 20:06

Pretty sure people are making their judgment over his complete tenure. It’s a poor record and both attendances and results look increasingly bleak.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Oct 2019 20:06

If we sack Jose Gomes, we'll have a seventh permanent manager since relegation in 2013. Only seven clubs in the top two divisions have had more in that time.

806 posts