Simply does not know how to win football games. Which is pretty crucial really

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: GOMES OUT!

by Hound » 08 Oct 2019 17:33

muirinho
Hound Yep sounds like it’s done. A few reports on it now

Painful as a good guy and we all wanted it to work. But right decision

And it’s almost worth it for mafff’s breakdown on twitter.

Will be even funnier if the next guy in says "right, all players to get their chance to impress, and brings McCleary, Baldock and Gunter back into 1st team training"

Vat of popcorn at the ready.

Well he should do. It’s a fresh slate and will be interesting to see how it falls

Low reckons Hughes a strong contender but maybe that’s an assumption just because Bowen is there

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Oct 2019 17:37

Hound Simply does not know how to win football games. Which is pretty crucial really

I know it's cherry picking to the worst extreme, but even so currently on 3 wins out of the last 18 league games. That's a 17% win rate. Versus 9 defeats - 50%

Even cherry picked you can't have many complaints with that record over that extended a run.

oxf*rd me that's awful.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Oct 2019 17:37

We need a manager who will play simple and effective Championship football. We need results initially and ideally a manager who has Football League experience.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Oct 2019 17:42

Snowflake Royal
Hound Simply does not know how to win football games. Which is pretty crucial really

I know it's cherry picking to the worst extreme, but even so currently on 3 wins out of the last 18 league games. That's a 17% win rate. Versus 9 defeats - 50%

Even cherry picked you can't have many complaints with that record over that extended a run.

oxf*rd me that's awful.

Yep, 4 out of the last 21. It’s no ‘bad patch’ despite the protestations and broadly in line with the last few years of his career

My feelings is we all got a bit carried away last year with it being a bit of fun again, seeing some quality footballers (Emi and Baker) and 1871. Break down the actual football matches and how many games did we actually play well in? Even Preston which was as good as it got - we had 2 shots on target. We scraped past everyone else and played pretty desperately against our rivals

He did a good enough job to earn a crack this season and has been hopeless. The football is dull and the results worse

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Oct 2019 17:42

Old Man Andrews We need a manager who will play simple and effective Championship football. We need results initially and ideally a manager who has Football League experience.

Yeah

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Oct 2019 17:45

Been told that Jose Gomes and his staff's authority in the dressing room had severely deteriorated in the last few weeks. Also told several first-team players had nicknamed him a 'Car Salesman' because he 'talked a good game' - Make of that what you will.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Oct 2019 17:52

That's sad. And believable.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Oct 2019 17:55

Hound Yep sounds like it’s done. A few reports on it now

Painful as a good guy and we all wanted it to work. But right decision

And it’s almost worth it for mafff’s breakdown on twitter.

What a bellend he is.

The meltdown from certain elment who claim they are never going again or "hate" their club need to have a long hard look at themselves.
Last edited by sandman on 08 Oct 2019 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Oct 2019 17:55

I wonder if I’m attached to Gomes because he’s likeable and ridiculously charming.

If, say, a Brexity charisma vacuum of a manager like Tony Pulis or Neil Warnock was in charge and had the same record as Gomes, would the fans be so against him leaving?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Oct 2019 17:57

genome I wonder if I’m attached to Gomes because he’s likeable and ridiculously charming.

If, say, a Brexity charisma vacuum of a manager like Tony Pulis or Neil Warnock was in charge and had the same record as Gomes, would the fans be so against him leaving?

No. Categorically no.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Oct 2019 17:59

Hound Been told that Jose Gomes and his staff's authority in the dressing room had severely deteriorated in the last few weeks. Also told several first-team players had nicknamed him a 'Car Salesman' because he 'talked a good game' - Make of that what you will.

Bloody hell. These same players have not exactly been pulling up trees themselves. Perhaps they need a Warnock type to give them a kick up the arse.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Oct 2019 18:02

Desperately sad about this news, it`s a game of fine margins, if we hadn`t hit the woodwork twice against Hull, if Randolph hadn`t made 3 crucial saves at the death against Boro, if Puscas hadn`t buggered up against Swansea and city. I wish Gomes all the best, great guy who bought us all together for not too long.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 08 Oct 2019 18:08

You're sad now.

Mark Hughes a strong contender to replace him

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Oct 2019 18:16

Thanks a bunch Brobot

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Oct 2019 18:19

Winston Biscuit Thanks a bunch PRICK

Fixed for you.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Oct 2019 18:19

Zip
Hound Been told that Jose Gomes and his staff's authority in the dressing room had severely deteriorated in the last few weeks. Also told several first-team players had nicknamed him a 'Car Salesman' because he 'talked a good game' - Make of that what you will.

Bloody hell. These same players have not exactly been pulling up trees themselves. Perhaps they need a Warnock type to give them a kick up the arse.

I think highly of Moore, but there's a group of players who have been big parts in a shit team for 3 years now. Swift too.

I'm not saying I want to get rid, but ultimately when a team underperforms the manager gets the sack and players get away with it. Nicknames and undermining the manager is not how to act when you're up against things; it is shameful. As captain and leader, Moore has to bear responsibility along with other senior players like Yiadom and Morrison, who I presume was partly signed to set an example to a young squad.

Something is not right at this club. Can you imagine this in the SJM era? I know we had a load of under performers around 2000 which culminated in pants day and Martin Allen brought in to whip the tears into shape. St the moment it seems to be year on year we underachieve and make it easy for teams to beat us.

We've had a few nice managers recently; I'm totally up for an old school one who will give them his mind, or at least a member on the coaching staff. Tbf it wasn't sustainable with Martin Allen, but I feel like a lot of players need a bloody great kick.

krapmle

by krapmle » 08 Oct 2019 18:22

These same players have not exactly been pulling up trees themselves.

yes they have. They look confused and seem to lack a coherent battle plan. That comes from the top.
I remain convinced these players can achieve, I remain unconvinced they will achieve anything with this manager.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Oct 2019 18:27

Also, :lol: at those who bemoaned structure, organized and naivety with Gomes who are now disappointed with the prospect of Hughes. Look at Blackburn, Charlton and, to an extent, Stoke.

I can see the appeal of a younger manager from lower down the pyramid like Ainsworth, but if Hughes is true I expect him to keep us up and get results. Hughton was always an unlikely option.

krapmle

by krapmle » 08 Oct 2019 18:30

Hughes will do alright. Not Coppell or Brian McD but solid. We won't be relegated

806 posts