8%

Total votes: 202
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Manager

by genome » 09 Oct 2019 10:38

Maneki Neko
genome This whole "knows about Championship football" thing is nonsense

Stam had absolutely no experience of Championship football and got us to a playoff final, because he played the right system to win matches and caught a lot of teams by surprise that season. It just so happens that he didn't adapt properly in his second season.

It doesn't matter where a manager's from, if they come in with the right ideas then they are perfectly valid appointments. There's no special Championship tactic that only experienced managers know

I don't think there is a special magical manergerial/tactical formula, but I do think foreign managers CAN be taken totally unawares by the physical challenge of the championship in terms of the sheer slog of the 46 games, and the utter lack of time you get on the ball. I also think that many of the tactics they TEND to employ aren't suited to coping with those challenges.
that doesn't matter that some one couldn't come in, assess those challenges and come up with a team and tactics to cope with it though, obvs, but youd imagine its more likely with someone who has been there and done it before

But the opposite can also be true, sometimes a merry-go-round Championship manager will achieve nothing and try tired ideas, when a fresh perspective can sometimes work (see Stam)

My point really is that it's silly and a bit Brexity to say "no foreign managers"

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 09 Oct 2019 10:41

I think its ok to have championship experience on the list of must haves
that can include foreign managers

id also be happy to drop it if a really good manager came up though
no hard and fast rules here

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Oct 2019 10:42

I'll drop you in a minute!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Oct 2019 10:47

Beef?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Oct 2019 10:49

No

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 09 Oct 2019 10:51

Just picking up on the knowing of this division being important, take a look at the top where a certain Slaven Bilic is doing ok having previously managed at international level and then getting sacked by West Ham.
Most managers, even some of the very best, get the sack during their careers so IMHO that is irrelevant.
I have a feeling that Bowen was taken on as the advance party with the view of Hughes following at some time.

This change was inevitable because of the way things work in football, IIRC most managers only last just over a year in The Championship.
By doing it now the club has given itself time before the next transfer window for the new man (or woman) to suss out what we have and presumably our loadsamoney owners will provide funds again.

My own preference would be Parky-it is wrong to suggest that his Bolton side were just a long-ball team and his commitment, as we saw ON the pitch, is unquestionable off it as we have witnessed at Bolton.
He also played wingers, something that fans have been crying out for this season.

Hopefully the appointment will take less time than Brexit.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 09 Oct 2019 10:54

genome I'll drop you in a minute!
:lol:

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Oct 2019 10:59

Stranded Given our last 3 appointments have been men with little to no experience of managing at our level (or at all) - I think we can safely assume they are going to go with someone with extensive experience of the English game at this level or above.

We won't be taking a "gamble" on someone like Ainsworth this time.

Clement was experienced enough. Roles at Derby and Swansea. But see your overall point.

I don't buy this "no experience at Championship level" with Hughes. The lower end of the PL is an entirely transferable experience to this level, especially when you manage Stoke. He understands the English game and will have always had a scouting eye on the Championship for potential signings.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Oct 2019 11:04

Feel like I'm jumping on a bandwagon here but it has to be Hughton right? Has there ever been a better freely available manager (realistic appointment too obv) when we have sacked a manager?

Also I want to express my disappointment in the players. Yes the tactics were iffy at times and the team selections were often random but over all, they have let us down. Badly.

The Good Dai Yongge

by The Good Dai Yongge » 09 Oct 2019 11:11

Hughton with Parky as No 2.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 09 Oct 2019 11:15

andrew1957 Hughton head and shoulders above the rest for me but would also be very happy with Ainsworth who I have heard very good things about from another local manager. Not sure about anyone else on the list.

Just please no more foreign managers. We desperately need a long term appointment who knows about Championship football.

This is, of course, the correct answer. And I'd almost be happy with a 'build for the future, trust the young'uns that Ainsworth would bring - and he's a thoroughly nice chap, too.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 09 Oct 2019 11:31

Victor Meldrew Just picking up on the knowing of this division being important, take a look at the top where a certain Slaven Bilic is doing ok having previously managed at international level and then getting sacked by West Ham.
Most managers, even some of the very best, get the sack during their careers so IMHO that is irrelevant.
I have a feeling that Bowen was taken on as the advance party with the view of Hughes following at some time.

This change was inevitable because of the way things work in football, IIRC most managers only last just over a year in The Championship.
By doing it now the club has given itself time before the next transfer window for the new man (or woman) to suss out what we have and presumably our loadsamoney owners will provide funds again.

My own preference would be Parky-it is wrong to suggest that his Bolton side were just a long-ball team and his commitment, as we saw ON the pitch, is unquestionable off it as we have witnessed at Bolton.
He also played wingers, something that fans have been crying out for this season.

Bilic has been the manager for 12 games? This is the problem - thinking that you can judge a manager either way on that kind of time span.

Remember that Stam had an entire season of good results . . . . . . doesn't mean he's a good Championship manager.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 09 Oct 2019 11:35

WestYorksRoyal
Stranded Given our last 3 appointments have been men with little to no experience of managing at our level (or at all) - I think we can safely assume they are going to go with someone with extensive experience of the English game at this level or above.

We won't be taking a "gamble" on someone like Ainsworth this time.

Clement was experienced enough. Roles at Derby and Swansea. But see your overall point.

I don't buy this "no experience at Championship level" with Hughes. The lower end of the PL is an entirely transferable experience to this level, especially when you manage Stoke. He understands the English game and will have always had a scouting eye on the Championship for potential signings.

in many ways clement wasn't given the backing to change what was a very poor squad left over from stams second season
gomes suffered from having severe financial restrictions and a huge squad on big money but he and the club have started to sort that out.

whoever comes in now suffers from none of that. we have a decent squad, that is more financially viable and will be to have a clear go at sorting out the football side of things.

what cant really happen is for there to be a massive change in football philosophy that results in another two windows or massive change. a shift in emphasis and system is fine.

in terms of lower prem being the same as upper champ, I disagree. the sheer number of games and time on the ball make it a hugely different prospect,

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 09 Oct 2019 11:37

Elm Park Kid
Victor Meldrew Just picking up on the knowing of this division being important, take a look at the top where a certain Slaven Bilic is doing ok having previously managed at international level and then getting sacked by West Ham.

Bilic has been the manager for 12 games? This is the problem - thinking that you can judge a manager either way on that kind of time span.

Remember that Stam had an entire season of good results . . . . . . doesn't mean he's a good Championship manager.

It was meant just as a random example of somebody being sacked by a Premier League club but doing ok at our level, not a full-on critique of his managerial career.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Oct 2019 11:46

genome
Maneki Neko

Stam had absolutely no experience of Championship football and got us to a playoff final, because he played the right system to win matches and caught a lot of teams by surprise that season. It just so happens that he didn't adapt properly in his second season.

It doesn't matter where a manager's from, if they come in with the right ideas then they are perfectly valid appointments. There's no special Championship tactic that only experienced managers know

I don't think there is a special magical manergerial/tactical formula, but I do think foreign managers CAN be taken totally unawares by the physical challenge of the championship in terms of the sheer slog of the 46 games, and the utter lack of time you get on the ball. I also think that many of the tactics they TEND to employ aren't suited to coping with those challenges.
that doesn't matter that some one couldn't come in, assess those challenges and come up with a team and tactics to cope with it though, obvs, but youd imagine its more likely with someone who has been there and done it before

But the opposite can also be true, sometimes a merry-go-round Championship manager will achieve nothing and try tired ideas, when a fresh perspective can sometimes work (see Stam)

My point really is that it's silly and a bit Brexity to say "no foreign managers"

I wouldn't say 'no champ experience' is nonsense, but yes its overblown. Id mention it as a slight concern, and obviously something you would ask Hughes in any interview.

Yes, the Champ isnt massively different from the PL, and most of the skills are transferrable. However he is dealing with players who would be of a lower standard than he is used to dealing with, and some of the challenges (ie going away to say Millwall or Barnsley's grounds) would be a little different to visiting say Arsenal or Man U

Not a game changer by any means, and it wouldn't stop an appointment. But it will be something for Hughes if he gets it to adapt to.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 09 Oct 2019 11:59

Mark Hughes >>> Terry Bullivant

Some of you have very short memories (or you are too young to remember).

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 09 Oct 2019 12:02

Zammo Mark Hughes >>> Terry Bullivant

I was at Oxford away :twisted:

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 09 Oct 2019 12:06

WoodleyRoyal
Zammo Mark Hughes >>> Terry Bullivant

I was at Oxford away :twisted:

Remember a handful of fans lying in front of the team coach after the game. Amazing to think that was only 20 years ago.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Oct 2019 12:08

andrew1957

Bluntly that is rubbish. Some managers like Warnock and Hughton to name two have showed that they know how to build a team to compete at this level and have been consistently successful. On a balance of probability you are far more likely to achieve success with such a manager than you are with someone coming in from overseas with little knowledge of the division. It is not just about tactics but also about adapting to the grind of groups of matches together in short time periods and then long international gaps and recovering quickly from losses.

Genome, remind me how Stam went in the end?

One good season ending in ultimate failure and then falling apart isn't really desireable.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Oct 2019 12:09

Farke - no English experience
Bielsa - no English experience
Nuno - no English experience
Forest manager currently - no English experience
Jokanovic - had no English experience, got two promotions
Stam - no English experience
Karanka - no English experience

I prefer someone with a past record of the Championship but to dismiss any foreign managers is just naive

606 posts