Total votes: 202
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Next Manager

by Stranded » 09 Oct 2019 13:52

John Madejski's Wallet Hughes is UTTERDOGSHIT

What a shambles

He really, really isn't. He had a terrible time at Soton at the start of last season but had kept them up the season before. He has a Premier League win ratio of 38% in over 500 games - which equates to an average PL season of around 46 to 48 points which for the clubs he's managed up there is pretty decent record.

If he translates his record to us over the course of the next 35 games, we'll be comfortably safe and only a small increase in his win % to say 42% would likely see us in the top half.

He is a solid manager coming off the back of a bad job - that is the only reason why he is available. I understand the reticence but lets not pretend he's worse than he actually is. Some of his teams have played decent football too but he is pragmatic enough to find a system that suits the players he has rather than fit the players to a system.

I'm strangely warming to the probability without being a massive supporter of it as a move. I think I like the fact he seems to be a bit of an arse as this squad seems to need a right old kick up the backside.

Not sure those who are not Gunter fans are going to be too happy as he will likely find his way back to the 1st team fold now.
Last edited by Stranded on 09 Oct 2019 13:54, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Oct 2019 13:54

Hound Im genuinely confused why an experienced manager with a half decent record over a long period of time seems to be stirring up such poor feeling

I know he is a bit of a cock. Don't think anyone can deny that. But otherwise not really sure why the hatred

tbf likewise why quite so much fawning from some about a dodgy manager who was basically placed here out of panic and a whim of an agent. I know he is a handsome chap with a lovely smile and nice way with words, but other than that not a huge amount going for him

Its simply because he isn't warm, cuddly Jose Gomes. Hughes is a known bastard and a lot of our supporters can only cope with the softly softly approach.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Oct 2019 13:58

Stranded I'm strangely warming to the probability without being a massive supporter of it as a move.

I think that would sum up my feelings to it.

One thing that the last 4 managers have in common is they all seem proper decent guys. Everyone who knew or met Stam loved him, know people who worked with him professionally who won't hear a word said against him. BMc obvs. Clement generally seemed to come over as a good chap if a bit wet and occasionally a bit bitter and then Gomes.

We need a to$$er to come in and sort things out imo. Hughes fits the bill. There's obviously a bit of an issue behind the scenes with some of the players that Clement and Gomes were unable to address

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Oct 2019 14:52

Old Man Andrews
Hound Im genuinely confused why an experienced manager with a half decent record over a long period of time seems to be stirring up such poor feeling

I know he is a bit of a cock. Don't think anyone can deny that. But otherwise not really sure why the hatred

tbf likewise why quite so much fawning from some about a dodgy manager who was basically placed here out of panic and a whim of an agent. I know he is a handsome chap with a lovely smile and nice way with words, but other than that not a huge amount going for him

Its simply because he isn't warm, cuddly Jose Gomes. Hughes is a known bastard and a lot of our supporters can only cope with the softly softly approach.

It's just word of mouth. Everyone says he shit so everyone believes he's shit without actually checking his record.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 09 Oct 2019 15:17

Darren Moore or Chris Hughton for me.

Anyway Paddy Power first with a list of odds:

Mark Hughes 4/9
Daniel Stendel 9/1
Phil Parkinson 10/1
Chris Hughton 10/1
Roy Keane 14/1
Gareth Ainsworth 14/1

16/1 bar

Done deal as far as they are concerned

Lolz @ Harry Redknapp (66/1), Steve McClaren (50/1), David Moyes (33/1) and Phil Neville (33/1)

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Oct 2019 15:25

Mark Hughes' overall managerial record is steady if unspectacular but you have told take into account that he's generally managed smaller Premiership teams.

Tbf, I'd take steady and unspectacular at the moment.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Oct 2019 15:26

From Despair To Where? Mark Hughes' overall managerial record is steady if unspectacular but you have told take into account that he's generally managed smaller Premiership teams.

Tbf, I'd take steady and unspectacular at the moment.

Yep.

Hughes is coming here with something to prove too. I think at the very least we can be guranteed he will be giving it everything.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Oct 2019 15:32

Hughes might be able to spark a reaction at least

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Oct 2019 15:39

I honestly think that if the new manager can sort out the defence, we have enough quality elsewhere for the rest will follow.

I think we'd be quite an attractive proposition, we've got a more than decent squad
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 09 Oct 2019 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 09 Oct 2019 15:43

Hughes has spent zillions at all his clubs and failed he has never managed at this level. Not for me.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 09 Oct 2019 15:43

as my mate said at the last game:

the managers change, the players change, the owners change..... and we are still awful...

we've got to accept that as the only consistent thing, its down to us... :shock:

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 09 Oct 2019 15:45

HONK
O
N
K

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 09 Oct 2019 15:46

Hughes is a disgrace, an old dinosaur with nothing but a CV of failure. He can't come anywhere near my club.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 09 Oct 2019 15:50

Hound
Stranded I'm strangely warming to the probability without being a massive supporter of it as a move.

One thing that the last 4 managers have in common is they all seem proper decent guys. Everyone who knew or met Stam loved him, know people who worked with him professionally who won't hear a word said against him. BMc obvs. Clement generally seemed to come over as a good chap if a bit wet and occasionally a bit bitter and then Gomes.

We need a to$$er to come in and sort things out imo. Hughes fits the bill. There's obviously a bit of an issue behind the scenes with some of the players that Clement and Gomes were unable to address

You could probably extend that to "5 out of 6" with the addition of Adkins - who also always came across as a nice, genuine bloke.

In fact i'm only suggesting Steve Clarke be left out on the basis that he reminds me of a miserable Scottish relative.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 09 Oct 2019 15:50

Chris Hughton "smashed in" to 15/2 with the bookies - clear second favourite.

Means cock all tho as it's such a small market that a bet of even £10 can cause a big up or down movement

** Edit - Mark Bowen has just appeared from nowhere at 9/4 **

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Oct 2019 15:52

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hound

You could probably extend that to "5 out of 6" with the addition of Adkins - who also always came across as a nice, genuine bloke.

In fact i'm only suggesting Steve Clarke be left out on the basis that he reminds me of a miserable Scottish relative.

Yep. Adkins a lovely fella. Had a nice chat with him once. Clarke is undoubtedly of the to$$er variety.

Jaytee

by Jaytee » 09 Oct 2019 16:00

Have you seen Sparky's record at his last 2 clubs ? You have to be joking. :roll:

5 wins from 27 at Soton
71 from 200 at Stoke

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Oct 2019 16:03

Hughes 4/6 with Sky bet,

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 09 Oct 2019 16:05

why is everyone in favour of hughton - not thanks - id rather have parky in charge.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Oct 2019 16:05

Jaytee Have you seen Sparky's record at his last 2 clubs ? You have to be joking. :roll:

5 wins from 27 at Soton - yep crap.

71 from 200 at Stoke - isnt that actually pretty impressive? We're talking Stoke here - in the Prem

606 posts