GOMES OUT!

806 posts
Ranty McRantface

Re: GOMES OUT!

by Ranty McRantface » 10 Oct 2019 10:20

Well, here we are. I did say anything but a win or a draw and a good performance will be the end of him. Shame really.

The next manager can not be another nice guy now. After hearing we once again have groups/rifts forming in the squad (again I said this would happen with a big squad and the way Jose managed them) we need a bit of a pcunt in charge to sort these lot out now. I mean someone who will not take any shite and will be able to get respect from the team.

From the list of candidates for the job no one really stands out who would be able to do that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Oct 2019 10:32

Ranty McRantface Well, here we are. I did say anything but a win or a draw and a good performance will be the end of him. Shame really.

The next manager can not be another nice guy now. After hearing we once again have groups/rifts forming in the squad (again I said this would happen with a big squad and the way Jose managed them) we need a bit of a pcunt in charge to sort these lot out now. I mean someone who will not take any shite and will be able to get respect from the team.

From the list of candidates for the job no one really stands out who would be able to do that.

roughly agree. There are pcunts on the list. Pulis certainly is. Hughes. Rowett I reckon. Allardyce as big as you could get, though doubt he is interested at all.

uber-pcunts Barton, Keane and Harford also mentioned.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 10 Oct 2019 11:48

AthleticoSpizz
there it is

...how long until he's writing the same thing about the next manager? Would have sacked him before Gomes tbh.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Oct 2019 12:15

Our Season So Far

Results - Poor
League Position - Terrible
Current Form - Terrible
Expenditure - High
Expectations - Badly managed (Gomes was talking 2 points per game average)

Based on League position alone I would have to conclude that Gomes has been a failure this season and as much as I want things to have improved under him and would have maybe given him a few more games, I can't disagree with the clubs decision..... I just hope they get the next one right.

Ryucoo

by Ryucoo » 10 Oct 2019 13:36

Poor decision imo

I'm not sure what people are expecting from constantly sacking average managers every few months and getting in more average managers to replace them.

I would have thought breaking from this flatline is the obvious path to improvement, and as we can't ever break it by getting in a really good manager, seeing as our pickings are always the leftover scran on the Lazy Susan of perpetually sacked coaches, the only sensible option is to give one of these guys a bit of time to learn from their mistakes, build a team, get it playing and develop as a club with a bit of stability and progression.

Last season was merely about getting in and staying up. Gomes has had 11 games of a proper season, ffs. Where did people expect us to be?

All the best to the next guy but Jesus, have something else in the pipeline mate cos a few poor games and the fans and club will be gozzing on that picture of you last week smiling with all the players after keeping Reading in the Championship.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Oct 2019 13:48

Ryucoo Where did people expect us to be?

Not in the relegation zone...........

9 wins in 38 games. Please argue thats good enough.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Oct 2019 13:58

as said, I can barely see an argument for keeping him. Poor career record, poor record here overall, poor performances this season, poor football, poor atmosphere (did the people bleating actually go to Blackburn? it was no better than the Clement days)

I think its just all a bit romantic. Good guy, but very little to suggest he should have been given any more of a chance. 23.7% win rate. Thats appalling.

I can genuinely only remember one really good performance in his time here - Cardiff
Last edited by Hound on 10 Oct 2019 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Oct 2019 13:59

Ryucoo Poor decision imo

I'm not sure what people are expecting from constantly sacking average managers every few months and getting in more average managers to replace them.

I would have thought breaking from this flatline is the obvious path to improvement, and as we can't ever break it by getting in a really good manager, seeing as our pickings are always the leftover scran on the Lazy Susan of perpetually sacked coaches, the only sensible option is to give one of these guys a bit of time to learn from their mistakes, build a team, get it playing and develop as a club with a bit of stability and progression.

Last season was merely about getting in and staying up. Gomes has had 11 games of a proper season, ffs. Where did people expect us to be?

All the best to the next guy but Jesus, have something else in the pipeline mate cos a few poor games and the fans and club will be gozzing on that picture of you last week smiling with all the players after keeping Reading in the Championship.

Probably more than picking up 7 points in 1 week and just 1 point in the other 2 months at a guess.

If he had any form of career record to fall back on that showed he had the abilty to turn this around i.e. he has had a very bad spell and gone on to great success then fair enough, I would agree he has had a rum deal here.

Look at his record and his 38 games here is the 3rd largest number of games he has managed at a club (in 10 jobs) so can't say there wasn't a clue that him managing a whole season was going to be unlikely.
Last edited by Stranded on 10 Oct 2019 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Oct 2019 13:59

Ryucoo Poor decision imo

But that’s the point. He wasn’t learning from mistakes. 11 games is a big enough sample size to realise “yeah, you know what, current tactics aren’t working, lets try something different”. Of course, you have to give your system some time to work. But playing 5 at the back yielded 0 goals in 5 games (goals against Blackburn and Swansea were after changing to a 4-2-3-1). Yet he kept doing it

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Oct 2019 14:01

Old Man Andrews

I don't know why, but for some bizarre reason I have it in my head that he came in with only 9-10 games to go and kept us up.

It's only when Dellor said on the radio that he had 23 games (half a season) that I realise how long he'd had and so I'm a little less anti the sacking now.

3/4 of a season with a bunch of loan players and signings as required and with that win ratio and the current league position. Yeah, I think it's hard to justify sticking up for him too much.

I'm sure someone with a calculator can tot up all the points in those games and where that would put us in the table at 34 games or whatever (unfair to go by current league position as we did have fair form at the tail end of last season). Probably won't be too impressive.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Oct 2019 14:02

WestRoyal
URZZZZ
WestRoyal
:lol: That old chestnut, which players had attitude problems?

Aluko and Barrow - walking back every time they lost the ball (which was a lot)
Ilori - always struck the impression he thought he was better than what he was with his languid style
Popa - has a terrible attitude
Even Kelly - the arrogance of saying “we knew we wouldn’t be relegated”, showing a complacent attitude amongst the squad

That enough for you?

Nope, that doesn't tell me they had bad attitudes or maybe i'm taking your bad attitude comment out of context. It says Aluko and Barrow didn't track back, Ilori was over confident, Kelly had faith and was complacent which doesn't mean he had a bad attitude and I assume popa looked like he had an attitude problem because you haven't stated why he had one.

Well, a lazy attitude/complacent attitude is a bad attitude to have surely? I’ll give you Ilori because I have no proof but Popa was constantly caught smoking etc...and you notice the theme between the four or five players mentioned is that they were all either brought through/signed in 2017. Two horrible windows

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Oct 2019 14:03

URZZZZ
WestRoyal
URZZZZ
Aluko and Barrow - walking back every time they lost the ball (which was a lot)
Ilori - always struck the impression he thought he was better than what he was with his languid style
Popa - has a terrible attitude
Even Kelly - the arrogance of saying “we knew we wouldn’t be relegated”, showing a complacent attitude amongst the squad

That enough for you?

Nope, that doesn't tell me they had bad attitudes or maybe i'm taking your bad attitude comment out of context. It says Aluko and Barrow didn't track back, Ilori was over confident, Kelly had faith and was complacent which doesn't mean he had a bad attitude and I assume popa looked like he had an attitude problem because you haven't stated why he had one.

Popa was constantly caught smoking etc..

Once.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Oct 2019 14:04

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
WestRoyal

Once.

Not what I heard. Are you seriously telling me Popa had a good attitude?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Oct 2019 14:06

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Old Man Andrews

I don't know why, but for some bizarre reason I have it in my head that he came in with only 9-10 games to go and kept us up.

It's only when Dellor said on the radio that he had 23 games (half a season) that I realise how long he'd had and so I'm a little less anti the sacking now.

3/4 of a season with a bunch of loan players and signings as required and with that win ratio and the current league position. Yeah, I think it's hard to justify sticking up for him too much.

I'm sure someone with a calculator can tot up all the points in those games and where that would put us in the table at 34 games or whatever (unfair to go by current league position as we did have fair form at the tail end of last season). Probably won't be too impressive.

36 points in 34 games - translates to 48 points over a full season - so touch and go if enough to avoid the drop.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Oct 2019 14:06

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

Once.

Not what I heard. Are you seriously telling me Popa had a good attitude?

I wouldn't know, I wasn't in the dressing room. What the public perception is and what the truth is can be two different things. It would be a good question to ask Jaap Stam or Paul Clement.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Oct 2019 14:51

Stranded
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Old Man Andrews

36 points in 34 games - translates to 48 points over a full season - so touch and go if enough to avoid the drop.

Thanks Stranded.

Yeah that's really useful. This site suggests the relegation threshold for the Champ is about 47points, so yeah basically a relegation dogfight team. Almost a full year and millions spent, that's not good enough. BUT he wasn't given a decent preseason with the new players etc etc..

Ryucoo

by Ryucoo » 10 Oct 2019 15:20

Old Man Andrews

I'd argue that' just numbers. Sure, it's a numbers game I guess but they don't tell the whole story. I'd say it would be fair to wipe last season off the slate and work from the assumption that this was his first shift in charge of his own team with a fresh start. In which case for me, 11 games (not all of which have been bad) is a pretty short window to be firing someone. Again.

And the numbers don't tell the future, which also has to be considered. They don't adjust to compensate for the fact our only choices of replacement are Steve Bruce, Mark Hughes or some other yawning tumbleweed.

So for me, the numbers aren't really enough data. They might be for you, and lucky you, they seem to be for our daft club too - and how's it working out for us? Good?

Ryucoo

by Ryucoo » 10 Oct 2019 15:32

URZZZZ
Ryucoo Poor decision imo

But that’s the point. He wasn’t learning from mistakes. 11 games is a big enough sample size to realise “yeah, you know what, current tactics aren’t working, lets try something different”. Of course, you have to give your system some time to work. But playing 5 at the back yielded 0 goals in 5 games (goals against Blackburn and Swansea were after changing to a 4-2-3-1). Yet he kept doing it

Lol 11 games, though. It's not guess the fukcing animal. I dunno man, I just think we - considering who and where we are - should be appreciating the enormity of all the factors at play and that it's not a simple science of try something, bin it, try something else, bin it, until you hit something right - sometimes understanding why it went right is harder than understanding why something went wrong.

I'm glad folks are overjoyed to be starting over yet again, with a new face of similar caliber who will, like those before him, yield exactly the same results of development and struggle before Twitter gets angry and insists they go. Me, I'm just bored of it. No wonder players don't give a oxf*rd anymore, who are they even playing for? I remember when the managers practically WERE the club. They might as well be listening to the fcking lad folding bibs on work experience.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Oct 2019 15:51

Ryucoo
Old Man Andrews

I'd argue that' just numbers. Sure, it's a numbers game I guess but they don't tell the whole story. I'd say it would be fair to wipe last season off the slate and work from the assumption that this was his first shift in charge of his own team with a fresh start. In which case for me, 11 games (not all of which have been bad) is a pretty short window to be firing someone. Again.

And the numbers don't tell the future, which also has to be considered. They don't adjust to compensate for the fact our only choices of replacement are Steve Bruce, Mark Hughes or some other yawning tumbleweed.

So for me, the numbers aren't really enough data. They might be for you, and lucky you, they seem to be for our daft club too - and how's it working out for us? Good?

Has Bruce gone from Newcastle ? :shock:
Given that he's just managed a win over a relegation rival that's a lot :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Oct 2019 15:51

Just checked - not gone :lol:

806 posts