Ian Royal
8%

Total votes: 202
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Manager

by Hound » 14 Oct 2019 12:09

72 bus
Hound one advantage of Bowen, is it really shouldn't mean a case of trying to ship out a load of players/make loads of new signings again.

Is that really an advantage ? there are players here that collectively have got multiple managers the sack.
The clear out needs to continue for a few windows yet.

we've just had a big clear out. its really not helping either the team or the finances to keep turning over the players all the time

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Oct 2019 12:10

URZZZZ
RoyalBlue
Hound
yes, the tears over Gomes are a bit pathetic. I know he was a nice guy, but very little justification to keep him on

He didn't f*cking fail! He wasn't given a chance to fail because the out of touch with reality 'instant success' brigade, and that includes the owners, pushed him out.

Gomes' record, giving the circumstances (inherited shit squad, low in morale and then hit FFP) wasn't that bad. He kept us up against the odds, got the fans back on side (now clearly undone by his sacking and the rumoured appointment of his little sh*t boss), and got us playing better, more attractive, football and to a point where things, given a bit of patience, would more than likely have clicked into place.

Of course. Because fans were queuing up inside for the Fulham game weren’t they :roll:

He brought the fans back and he then lost them again. Which is why our attendance was horrendous vs Fulham

You say more attractive football? Well, fair enough if you enjoy defenders passing around the back with no movement up field. I know I, and a lot of people don’t

Blackburn likewise. The atmosphere was every bit as bad as under Clement in that game. And yes the style of football wasn't particularly good at all. I was bored stupid in recent home games tbh

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Oct 2019 12:10

RoyalBlue If Bowen is appointed it's a complete and utter effing joke. The guy has been a serial failure as Assistant Manager to his mate Mark Hughes. Furthermore, as Sporting Director IMO he's every bit as much to blame for the poor start to the season as Gomes and his coaching team. He then compounds that by getting Gomes sacked and taking his job!

Despite having season tickets, if this happens, I think I'll save the time and expense of travelling to the Mad Stad and start supporting my local non league team instead.

See ya then.

Where to start with this - given the clubs Bowen worked at with Hughes he cannot be described as a serial failure.

They did very well at Wales, Blackburn, took Stoke to 3 consecutive 9th place finished, Fulham to 8th

Worked with Steve Bruce at Birmingham and got them promoted. They did OK at Man City before the money came in and were doing OK still when replaced by Mancini. Only real black marks are the time at QPR and Soton.

A lot of what we did well last season with Gomes involved Bowen being here, we looked more solid defensively once he joined as a consultant - this looks to have slipped since he took a more hands off/upstairs role. He will have been instrumental in getting players in the door following his appointment there - it will not all have been Howe. You could argue that the players brought in aren't good enough but we were all shouting from the rooftops when they arrived.

He has clearly impressed the club in his short time here and if the club have appointed him they will have weighed up the "optics" and decided it is worthwhile.

It could all go tits up but there is enough there to suggest he is worthy of a shot even if it is a bit of a WTF appointment.

As always, I can understand people not being happy (can't say I am thrilled) with an appointment but lets not re-write history to fit a narrative.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Oct 2019 12:11

72 bus
Hound one advantage of Bowen, is it really shouldn't mean a case of trying to ship out a load of players/make loads of new signings again.

Is that really an advantage ? there are players here that collectively have got multiple managers the sack.
The clear out needs to continue for a few windows yet.

Actually, I agree with Hound. The issue has been too much player turnover. Which of our current squad have collectively got multiple managers sacked? You can fairly aim the criticism at Moore and Swift, though Moore has been one of our best players in this dire spell. Blackett has been a bit part player throughout, as has been Richards. Yiadom, Meite and Rinomhota featured under Clement and Gomes and were 1st, 2nd and 3rd in POTS last year. Are they part of this collective group of underachievers who need clearing out?

What we really need is continuity, a spine of a team and a clear recruitment strategy. This is a positive of Bowen's appointment.

EverHopeful

by EverHopeful » 14 Oct 2019 12:13

Armadillo Roadkill
RoyalBlue
Hound
yes, the tears over Gomes are a bit pathetic. I know he was a nice guy, but very little justification to keep him on

He didn't f*cking fail! He wasn't given a chance to fail because the out of touch with reality 'instant success' brigade, and that includes the owners, pushed him out.

Gomes' record, giving the circumstances (inherited shit squad, low in morale and then hit FFP) wasn't that bad. He kept us up against the odds, got the fans back on side (now clearly undone by his sacking and the rumoured appointment of his little sh*t boss), and got us playing better, more attractive, football and to a point where things, given a bit of patience, would more than likely have clicked into place.

If Clement had had Martinez, Miazga, Ejaria and Baker he could have kept us up also. Not sure Gomes did that much of an amazing job.

Maybe Gomes didn't, but the Club need the fans onside and this appointment does the opposite - negativity before its even official. Hopefully he can prove everybody wrong but as many have said, the Championship needs an experienced pair of hands - he has never done this in his own right and if he is such a good no2, why has no other club taken the gamble on him?..............worrying times

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Oct 2019 12:14

RoyalBlue
Hound
URZZZZ
Yeah, because Gomes’ record was great before he joined us!

Al these bitter fans that their hero Gomes has gone are pathetic. The bloke failed, simple as that. Give the new guy a chance FFS. Hate the self entitlement of our fans. He’s now going to be under pressure from day 1 which is just embarrassing

His record at all his other clubs where he's been let go within a similar timeframe? We aren't the anomaly here.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Oct 2019 12:20

sandman
RoyalBlue
Hound

His record at all his other clubs where he's been let go within a similar timeframe? We aren't the anomaly here.

It's almost as if he comes in and makes you feel better about yourself that you have in ages but when you look at what he has actually acheived it isn't great but you choose to ignore that because you still want to feel happy - even if everything is falling down.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 14 Oct 2019 12:24

RoyalBlue
windermereROYAL Wasn`t Eddie Niedzwiecki an assistant here before?

Yes, and IIRC he also did a short spell as caretaker manager. I think he got sent off (sent to the stands) when he was in charge as Caretaker Manager.

Assistant manager under Porterfield I believe? Caretaker manager last few games of season before McGhee took over.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 14 Oct 2019 12:27

Notts Royal
NewCorkSeth Wasnt Clarke rated highly as a coach? Doesnt guarentee being a good or even decent manager.

He had a credible spell in management at West Brom before we appointed him though

Done pretty well in Scotland too to be fair - cannot judge him re the national team, I don't think anyone could achieve anything with the players at their disposal.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 14 Oct 2019 12:36

Charlie Watts tweeted that he was a good bet at 25/1, after the Gomes sacking.
Definitely was planned

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 14 Oct 2019 12:39

sandman Give him a chance.

If he puts on a nice suit and gives a few nice quotes about his "process" and says "my players" a few times I'm sure the twitterati will soon fall at his feet.

+1

Some people are easily pleased.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Oct 2019 12:40

Theroyalbox Charlie Watts tweeted that he was a good bet at 25/1, after the Gomes sacking.
Definitely was planned

I miss Watts. Great journalist.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 12:41

NewCorkSeth
Theroyalbox Charlie Watts tweeted that he was a good bet at 25/1, after the Gomes sacking.
Definitely was planned

He isn't dead m8, he's still a journalist.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 14 Oct 2019 12:42

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Oct 2019 12:42

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Definitely was planned

He isn't dead m8, he's still a journalist.

:o

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 12:44

2 world wars, 1 world cup
paultheroyal With Bowen now at odds of 1/12 - that would tell you its a done deal. Nearest is Sherwood at 12s.

Tell you what, he must rate himself and got a magic wand because he has put himself under an enormous amount of pressure from the get go. Executioner turned manager rolled into one. Good luck with that.

Maybe he knows something, maybe he is that confident we are all in for a pleasant surprise.

If true, can't help being disappointed. But that's probably a good thing as I was equally disappointed with McGhee, Quinn/Gooding, McDermott, Pardew

Will have the continuity, knows the players. Will hopefully bring in a decent coaching team.

But yeah you're right, will be under significant pressure for sure.

Feel Bowen is a mistake.

Part of the set up that hasn't worked, under immediate pressure from perceptions of being involved in sacking Gomes and finding his replacement and no previous managerial experience. Not even been at the club long.

He doesn't fit any of what I want to see in a new manager, or move away from what I feel we've been doing wrong in our previous appointments.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 12:46

URZZZZ
hughsies no.1 IF it is Bowen, surely has to be down to FFP.

Also throws into question the Gomes sacking for me too, no secret that he was on a decent sum of money - obviously results didn't help his cause, but does make me think getting his salary off the books and appointing internally could make it a financial decision?

If Bowen does get the job, we obviously need to back him, regardless if we think it is the right appointment or not - perhaps an under-stated appointment may not be the worst thing?

Don’t think it’d be down to FFP to be honest. What I don’t understand is that if it’s Bowen, why didn’t they just announce it when Gomes was fired? Unless they thought they were getting someone else in and they turned them down

Don’t think it’s going to be anyone’s first choice, but may as well support them, whoever they are

No idea why Gomes would be one big wedge given his distinctly mediocre past.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Oct 2019 12:49

Can see this succeeding given the levels of negativity. Still an odd choice and one I dont support but wtf do I know?

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 14 Oct 2019 13:03

Just a thought....
Wasn't Bowen being hailed last season in the last few games with advising Gomes on tactical advice on opposition players?
Maybe in his role he couldn't influence Gomes on how teams would set up against his teams this season- really exposing Gomes' downfall.....

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 13:03

Hailed by who?

606 posts