Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Manager

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 13:04

Old Man Andrews Hailed by who?

Quite a few people I think.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 13:05

Was this widely reported or did someone say it once on Twitter?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 13:07

Old Man Andrews Was this widely reported or did someone say it once on Twitter?

There's bound to be a thread about Bowen arriving.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 14 Oct 2019 13:10

I could probably make a few half decent recommendations to a manager. Doesn't make me a manager.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Oct 2019 13:17

I am with most of the comments that this is a strange and risky appointment. I can understand a bit of the rationale behind him being given the job if Howe and the Dai's believe that the football philosophy is right and want us to continue that and Bowen recognises the weaknesses that are our downfall in matches.

Hiring from within has worked well for us before. But this was under Madejski who we trusted. When we hired McDermott we started badly we feared the worst but there were signs of turning it around when he evolved our style of play.

But Bowen just smells of a rotten appointment for me. He's not been at the club long. He's never managed and experience in this league is what we are missing. Above all it feels like a stab in the back appointment. I wasn't a Gomes fan but this is a gamble at a critical time for the club. It's not a 'Reading way' appointment. This also angers me as there's some very good managers out of work who we could potentially have got in.

I just hope we're proved wrong. We have to get behind him either way. Just feels like the stench of relegation to league 1 is entering upon us now.

If he loses his first few games I can see the atmosphere being toxic pretty quickly!
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 14 Oct 2019 13:21, edited 2 times in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Oct 2019 13:19

just a suggestion but maybe Bowen had little to do with Gomes being sacked? Maybe Howe saw how Bowen was working and decided he would be a good option if they needed to sack Gomes.

Also potentially bought him back in to the DoF role in the first place with one eye on him succeeding if Gomes didn't.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 13:20

If it tells one thing, it's how unattractive we are to good experienced managers.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 13:20

Hound just a suggestion but maybe Bowen had little to do with Gomes being sacked? Maybe Howe saw how Bowen was working and decided he would be a good option if they needed to sack Gomes.

Also potentially bought him back in to the DoF role in the first place with one eye on him succeeding if Gomes didn't.

Have I missed something? Howe had nothing to do with this did he? I thought Bowen takes care of all the footballing matters and Howe does the commercial side and new contracts?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Oct 2019 13:23

Old Man Andrews
Hound just a suggestion but maybe Bowen had little to do with Gomes being sacked? Maybe Howe saw how Bowen was working and decided he would be a good option if they needed to sack Gomes.

Have I missed something? Howe had nothing to do with this did he? I thought Bowen takes care of all the footballing matters and Howe does the commercial side and new contracts?

Don't know to be honest. But he sacked Clement, and was more hands on before Bowen came back in. He would also be closer to the Owners to advise on hiring/firing than the DoF I imagine

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Oct 2019 13:31

Confimred.

Tennents Super
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Kicking and a gouging in the mud, and the blood and the beer.

by Tennents Super » 14 Oct 2019 13:33

Hound
Old Man Andrews

Don't know to be honest. But he sacked Clement, and was more hands on before Bowen came back in. He would also be closer to the Owners to advise on hiring/firing than the DoF I imagine

From https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/new-reading-fc-sporting-director-16802043

Mark Bowen I'm my own man and make all the football decisions that need to be made without having to consult with Nigel [Howe, chief executive].

I've got a great relationship with Nigel and we've had conversations where I have said to him, in this role, I'm going to need your help and advice at times but my remit is coming straight from Mr Dai to be in charge of all football operations.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Oct 2019 13:33

genome It's not going to happen guys, relax.

8)

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 13:33

The meltdown on the replies to the clubs Tweet are popcorn worthy.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Oct 2019 13:48

Snowflake Royal If it tells one thing, it's how unattractive we are to good experienced managers.

Or that following the shoddy process of hiring Gomes, the club decided to get some form of succession planning in place so brought Bowen in as a consultant initially to see how he works - they liked what they saw so created a new role for him to have more of a say in transfer dealings and all football related issues beyond those on the training ground.

Once it became clear to them that Gomes wasn't going to work out they had a successor ready to go, who knew the club at all levels - remember he will have had oversight of the Academy as well. So that once the players return from international duty the new manager is in place.

So the one thing that most are complaining about could well be something the club can be congratulated for as they saw a potential issue and resolved it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Oct 2019 14:01

Stranded
Snowflake Royal If it tells one thing, it's how unattractive we are to good experienced managers.

Or that following the shoddy process of hiring Gomes, the club decided to get some form of succession planning in place so brought Bowen in as a consultant initially to see how he works - they liked what they saw so created a new role for him to have more of a say in transfer dealings and all football related issues beyond those on the training ground.

Once it became clear to them that Gomes wasn't going to work out they had a successor ready to go, who knew the club at all levels - remember he will have had oversight of the Academy as well. So that once the players return from international duty the new manager is in place.

So the one thing that most are complaining about could well be something the club can be congratulated for as they saw a potential issue and resolved it.

yeah, pretty much what I suggested above

Maybe they weren't so massively impressed with Gomes last season as some of the fans were

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Oct 2019 14:13

Not the inspired choice I wanted particularly as there were some stand out candidates we could of got, in and out of employment at the moment.

He has immediately put himself under pressure and will be interesting to see how the players adapt to his style and whether we all get a reaction.

But, its a decision made, I for one will not be following the utter buffoons on twitter and on here who talk of booing the appointment. Just how idiotic you will all be if, if he gets them playing and we climb the table.

His name will be announced, I will get off my seat, applaud, and cheer on the team to 3 points. For those who don't, or stay away, of course you are entitled to do so, but I would suggest you have a long hard look at yourself.

URZ.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 14:15

Old Man Andrews Can confrim Mark Bowen will be taking over as manager.

As confirmed by me 4 hours before the news became official........

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Oct 2019 14:18

Old Man Andrews

Congratulations. You saw it on Twitter and claimed it as your own news

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 14:19

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews

Congratulations. You saw it on Twitter and claimed it as your own news

No I know people at the club. Just like I broke the news about the Gomes sacking before it happened. Get a clue.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 14 Oct 2019 14:23

I confrim OMA knows the same people (maybe) as me. PTR does aswell.

606 posts