CONFIMRED - Mark Bowen

385 posts
hughsies no.1

Re: CONFIMRED - Mark Bowen

by hughsies no.1 » 14 Oct 2019 14:09

Understandably a questionable appointment - but it's happened now and it's not going to be changed so we've got to back him.

Positive thinking hat on:
- Knows the players from last season and this season so will know strengths and weaknesses
- Knows the club
- Has played a part in the new signings so mass overhaul won't be happening again
(well at least I got to 3...)

Must also help the club from an FFP perspective getting rid of Gomes on big money and making an internal appointment (clutching here)

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 14 Oct 2019 14:11

Norfolk Royal The club statement seems to imply that it was Bowen who was responsible in the main for us staying up last season rather than Gomes does it not?

100% agreed, and as i've said a couple of times on other threads, his move upstairs seemed to coniside with the downward spiral of results. He left his consultancy role end of august, just after our 'week of wins'. His role as a consultant was a tactical one suggesting formations to play against the opposition. Some thing that clearly Gomes got found out on after Bowens' role changed

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Oct 2019 14:14

Not the inspired choice I wanted particularly as there were some stand out candidates we could of got, in and out of employment at the moment.

He has immediately put himself under pressure and will be interesting to see how the players adapt to his style and whether we all get a reaction.

But, its a decision made, I for one will not be following the utter buffoons on twitter and on here who talk of booing the appointment. Just how idiotic you will all be if, if he gets them playing and we climb the table.

His name will be announced, I will get off my seat, applaud, and cheer on the team to 3 points. For those who don't, or stay away, of course you are entitled to do so, but I would suggest you have a long hard look at yourself.

URZ.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Oct 2019 14:14

BARMY BOWEN'S BARMY ARMY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on Bowen, make it happen!!!

I'm not going to be the negative sod I was with Pardew and McDermott's appointment. Learnt from my mistakes as I was proven wrong both times. I'd have also been against McGhee and Quinn and Gooding.

Nothing to be lost here: if he can't show signs between now and Jan he'll probs be gone so don't worry.

I have a feeling he may do as well as all our other internal appointments.

The king is dead, long live the king.

Welcome as manager. Bowen!!

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 14 Oct 2019 14:15

Obviously I wish him well and I offer the team my full support..but I feel like this is very bad news. Anything that's not relegation would be a sucessfull season now.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 14 Oct 2019 14:19

Bigtimmeh Obviously I wish him well and I offer the team my full support..but I feel like this is very bad news. Anything that's not relegation would be a sucessfull season now.

Same. But I think now is the time for us as a fanbase to ready ourselves for the real prospect of relegation. I mean, who doesn’t fancy Oxford away next season?!

Surely what we need right now is experience? This is yet another big risk appointment.

We have to get behind the boys & back them, but the cynic in me says we are only heading 1 way

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Oct 2019 14:21

Good luck! Pressures on, Bowen!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Oct 2019 14:22

Well at least the playing out short from the goalkeeper will probably go out the window, that`s one shining light.

And can we assume all Gomes`s coaching staff including O`Shea have gone with him?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 14:24

windermereROYAL Well at least the playing out short from the goalkeeper will probably go out the window, that`s one shining light.

Based on what? 99% of clubs now play out short from the back........

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 14 Oct 2019 14:25

Notts Royal
Bigtimmeh Obviously I wish him well and I offer the team my full support..but I feel like this is very bad news. Anything that's not relegation would be a sucessfull season now.

Same. But I think now is the time for us as a fanbase to ready ourselves for the real prospect of relegation. I mean, who doesn’t fancy Oxford away next season?!

Surely what we need right now is experience? This is yet another big risk appointment.

We have to get behind the boys & back them, but the cynic in me says we are only heading 1 way

The way Oxford are playing at the moment it's highly likely we'll be just waving at them as we pass them on the way down.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 14 Oct 2019 14:28

Can't be any worse than Gomes.
To those who are threatening to stay away.....then good. Do one.
Give him a chance FFS.

Back the boyo and make some noisyo
(not sure that works…….!?!).

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 14 Oct 2019 14:32

Notts Royal

I agree. If he has new ideas he should have introduced them with Jose. He seemingly didn't, so he either has no new ideas or he held back from Jose, both of which are bad. I wonder how Jose feels about all of this. And more to the point the players. With the team in the state it is in we need experienced stability not a risk. If they want experience he don't have it. If they want to take a risk then better to take a risk with a fresh face complete new start. This iss an awkward mix of the two

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Oct 2019 14:33

Im quite intrigued by how his first pressers and teamsheets are going to go. Will Baldock, Gunter, McCleary be back in? Why did we sack Gomes particularly? How much of an influence did he think he had last year?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Oct 2019 14:33

Bigtimmeh
Notts Royal

I agree. If he has new ideas he should have introduced them with Jose. He seemingly didn't, so he either has no new ideas or he held back from Jose, both of which are bad. I wonder how Jose feels about all of this. And more to the point the players. With the team in the state it is in we need experienced stability not a risk. If they want experience he don't have it. If they want to take a risk then better to take a risk with a fresh face complete new start. This iss an awkward mix of the two

or maybe, just maybe, Gomes felt his presence and suggestion obtrusive, and then that filters. Thought about that perhaps?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Oct 2019 14:34

Hound Im quite intrigued by how his first pressers and teamsheets are going to go. Will Baldock, Gunter, McCleary be back in? Why did we sack Gomes particularly? How much of an influence did he think he had last year?

Dellor already out to stir the pot - that's his job perhaps, but Bowen is not going to get an easy start that's for sure.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 14 Oct 2019 14:41

The level of negativity to this is breathtaking.

1. No-one on here (one potential exception) will have any idea how much MB was involved in the upturn in form either last season or at the start of this.
2. No-one on here will have the slightest notion as to how successful or otherwise his ideas were when working with Mark Hughes. However unlikely, it is possible that all the good stuff in Hughes management has been driven by MB.
3. No-one on here knows anything at all about the relationship MB has with either the players or the owners.
4. No-one on here knows what's gone on with the Gomes sacking. If, as has been noted earlier, MB was taking orders from the owners rather than NH, then they may have stated directly to him : 'Sack Jose'. At which point there's a vacancy. Then MB applies for said vacancy, completely above board.
5. If MB needs a heavy to sort out some of the players, he knows who to call (would you argue with Sparky ?).

You can all make the wild assumptions, but none of you have any idea (as I said, with one potential exception).

I didn't know Jose at all but he seemed a genuinely nice guy. Sadly, in that role, being nice may not have been enough. If MB is a nasty piece of work and it starts getting the right reaction from the players, who everyone agrees are underperforming, then I for one will be extremely happy.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 Oct 2019 14:42

bowen being involved in the sacking and then taking the job looks bad.

move smacks of a short term punt with a view to getting their real target in next summer.

ill get behind the bloke, but its not filling me with massive hope.

having said that, as much as I liked the bloke it shouldn't be too hard to do better than Gomes.

onward and upward

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Oct 2019 14:42

Mark Bowen has a wealth of experience. To say he is in-experienced is utter nonsense. He has been part of a management team at some of the best clubs in the country or more established clubs. He will now know what works, does not work. He will have his own style. His views may well of been supressed before, he is now been giving the opportunity to be let loose and do it his way.

3 points on Saturday, softens the blow. Draw to Forest even further. Unfortunately for him, as soon as it goes pear shaped and hits a blip those calling now who then go quiet will re-emerge with the "told you so".

I want to be surprised, I hope to be surprised, I want Reading FC to do well.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 14:44

Hound Im quite intrigued by how his first pressers and teamsheets are going to go. Will Baldock, Gunter, McCleary be back in? Why did we sack Gomes particularly? How much of an influence did he think he had last year?

Gunter will 100% get back in the team, probably on Saturday. Welsh.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Oct 2019 14:44

Franchise FC The level of negativity to this is breathtaking.

1. No-one on here (one potential exception) will have any idea how much MB was involved in the upturn in form either last season or at the start of this.
2. No-one on here will have the slightest notion as to how successful or otherwise his ideas were when working with Mark Hughes. However unlikely, it is possible that all the good stuff in Hughes management has been driven by MB.
3. No-one on here knows anything at all about the relationship MB has with either the players or the owners.
4. No-one on here knows what's gone on with the Gomes sacking. If, as has been noted earlier, MB was taking orders from the owners rather than NH, then they may have stated directly to him : 'Sack Jose'. At which point there's a vacancy. Then MB applies for said vacancy, completely above board.
5. If MB needs a heavy to sort out some of the players, he knows who to call (would you argue with Sparky ?).

You can all make the wild assumptions, but none of you have any idea (as I said, with one potential exception).

I didn't know Jose at all but he seemed a genuinely nice guy. Sadly, in that role, being nice may not have been enough. If MB is a nasty piece of work and it starts getting the right reaction from the players, who everyone agrees are underperforming, then I for one will be extremely happy.

This, I agree with.

385 posts