Someone unknown from the continent
3%
Ian Royal
8%

Total votes: 202
Old Man Andrews

Re: Next Manager

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 14:50

Marcus Crassus "Bowen is clearly experienced and knows what he is doing based on his resume. He is more successful then Gomes. "

A 55 year old who has held down not a single managerial position? And who was director of football from August onwards?

Whether Bowen succeeds, only time will tell, but be under no illusions, this is a high risk appointment

All managerial appointments are high risk.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 14 Oct 2019 14:54

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Or that following the shoddy process of hiring Gomes, the club decided to get some form of succession planning in place so brought Bowen in as a consultant initially to see how he works - they liked what they saw so created a new role for him to have more of a say in transfer dealings and all football related issues beyond those on the training ground.

Once it became clear to them that Gomes wasn't going to work out they had a successor ready to go, who knew the club at all levels - remember he will have had oversight of the Academy as well. So that once the players return from international duty the new manager is in place.

So the one thing that most are complaining about could well be something the club can be congratulated for as they saw a potential issue and resolved it.

I'd love you to be right. Thanks for the cheer up.

I like the narrative, but the gap is around who judged him to be a good appointment. Who at "the Club" did he impress? Howe is a businessman, as are Joorabchian and the Dai's. We had somebody from a footballing background to assess candidates and it was Bowen, but he can't objectively assess himself.

Hammond was involved in the Pardew and McDermott decisions; you need a footballing brain in there.

Very good point. I wonder who interviewed him?

Marcus Crassus

by Marcus Crassus » 14 Oct 2019 14:55

Old Man Andrews
Marcus Crassus "Bowen is clearly experienced and knows what he is doing based on his resume. He is more successful then Gomes. "

A 55 year old who has held down not a single managerial position? And who was director of football from August onwards?

Whether Bowen succeeds, only time will tell, but be under no illusions, this is a high risk appointment

All managerial appointments are high risk.

It's all relative though, isn't it. Appointing someone with zero track record as manager is a much bigger risk than appointing someone like Hughton, who has a proven track record of success with clubs of broadly comparable stature.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Oct 2019 14:55

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Or that following the shoddy process of hiring Gomes, the club decided to get some form of succession planning in place so brought Bowen in as a consultant initially to see how he works - they liked what they saw so created a new role for him to have more of a say in transfer dealings and all football related issues beyond those on the training ground.

Once it became clear to them that Gomes wasn't going to work out they had a successor ready to go, who knew the club at all levels - remember he will have had oversight of the Academy as well. So that once the players return from international duty the new manager is in place.

So the one thing that most are complaining about could well be something the club can be congratulated for as they saw a potential issue and resolved it.

I like the narrative, but the gap is around who judged him to be a good appointment. Who at "the Club" did he impress? Howe is a businessman, as are Joorabchian and the Dai's. We had somebody from a footballing background to assess candidates and it was Bowen, but he can't objectively assess himself.

Hammond was involved in the Pardew and McDermott decisions; you need a footballing brain in there.

That's not the gap. The role was created by those at the club to bring him in - so you could question Howe or the owners in making that decision but the succession planning of hiring him set in stone that he would eventually be our manager.

Gomes only ever got an 18 month contract which is not a massive show of faith and the fact they brought Bowen in at all as a consultant shows that someone at the club thought he needed help in some aspect of the job. As soon as the club then decided to bring in a coach as Sporting Director then the pathway to today was set - this was a plan either at some point during the season if needed or Bowen would have taken over next summer when Gomes contract was up - he was only ever getting a new one if we were in the PL or possibly made the play-offs.

I could be well off of course but this feels the most likely sequence of events, hence why things have moved pretty quickly.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 14 Oct 2019 14:57

paultheroyal
scumbag Twitter virgins losing their collective minds as if we announced Adolf Hitler as manager.

Agreed, utter embarrassment. Having a scroll now I see....

"protest march"
"booing on announcing his name"
"turning their backs upon his entrance"
"off to support a non league team"
"hope we get relegated"
"club deserve failure, love to witness it"

and on it goes...

Agreed. Pathetic.

However he got the job we all want him to succeed don't we?

FFS. Some people. This country.

Marcus Crassus

by Marcus Crassus » 14 Oct 2019 15:00

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal I'd love you to be right. Thanks for the cheer up.

That's not the gap. The role was created by those at the club to bring him in - so you could question Howe or the owners in making that decision but the succession planning of hiring him set in stone that he would eventually be our manager.

Gomes only ever got an 18 month contract which is not a massive show of faith and the fact they brought Bowen in at all as a consultant shows that someone at the club thought he needed help in some aspect of the job. As soon as the club then decided to bring in a coach as Sporting Director then the pathway to today was set - this was a plan either at some point during the season if needed or Bowen would have taken over next summer when Gomes contract was up - he was only ever getting a new one if we were in the PL or possibly made the play-offs.

I could be well off of course but this feels the most likely sequence of events, hence why things have moved pretty quickly.

That sounds plausible, but doesn't alter the fact that Bowen has zero experience as a manager.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Oct 2019 15:12

Marcus Crassus
Stranded
WestYorksRoyal I like the narrative, but the gap is around who judged him to be a good appointment. Who at "the Club" did he impress? Howe is a businessman, as are Joorabchian and the Dai's. We had somebody from a footballing background to assess candidates and it was Bowen, but he can't objectively assess himself.

That sounds plausible, but doesn't alter the fact that Bowen has zero experience as a manager.

Yep, that is my only real concern at the moment but Stam didn't and that went well at least initially - Pardew didn't, McDermott didn't (and took over with us in a very similar position), McGhee didn't.

In fact looking at our history since McGhee joined, we have had a lot of our success with rookie managers

McGhee - success
Quinn/Gooding - success
Pardew - success
McDermott - success
Stam - success

So 5 rookies appointed since 1994 all successes to varying degress - all with promotions or play-off finals on their CV.
Last edited by Stranded on 14 Oct 2019 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Oct 2019 15:14

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal I'd love you to be right. Thanks for the cheer up.

[size=150]Gomes only ever got an 18 month contract which is not a massive show of faith [/size]and the fact they brought Bowen in at all as a consultant shows that someone at the club thought he needed help in some aspect of the job. As soon as the club then decided to bring in a coach as Sporting Director then the pathway to today was set - this was a plan either at some point during the season if needed or Bowen would have taken over next summer when Gomes contract was up - he was only ever getting a new one if we were in the PL or possibly made the play-offs.

I've only skimmed through the club statement but I don't recall anywhere saying how long the length of contract is for Bowen? Does anyone know?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Oct 2019 15:20

no, though rumoured to be to end of season

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Oct 2019 15:40

If Gomes' 18 month contract was "hardly an act of faith" as is claimed earlier then 6 months doesn't exactly scream "succession Plan" either to me.

To me it suggests more and more that Bowen has advised Howe/the owners that Gomes was the major issue.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Oct 2019 15:44

Genuinely surprised at the love for Gomes. For whatever reason, and I know its just throw away words, but he did appear to lose the dressing room. Something clearly unpopular was taking place. Maybe, key personnel within the club and I am talking players have got together and agreed what will work going forward...

4:50pm this Saturday we will have an idea.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Oct 2019 16:01

paultheroyal Genuinely surprised at the love for Gomes. For whatever reason, and I know its just throw away words, but he did appear to lose the dressing room. Something clearly unpopular was taking place. Maybe, key personnel within the club and I am talking players have got together and agreed what will work going forward...

4:50pm this Saturday we will have an idea.

You don't have to have " love for Gomes" to raise an eyebrow about the man whose job by his own admission was to support the manager in any way possible to subsequently take his job. Things went south very very quickly (6 weeks or so from the optimism after Huddersfield away) to supposedly losing the dressing room. One sure fire way of losing a dressing room as a manager is if players see your authority being questioned from on high.

Still it is what it is. I found the Gomes appointment even more baffling than Bowen's tbh although I'd have given him more time (the aforementioned interference not withstanding).

Bowen could just be what we need. Time will tell .

Oh and a hearty LOL at any fans talking about sabotaging the team over this. Cretinous to say the least.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 14 Oct 2019 16:41

The good news is he's bald!

But then so was Stam :cry:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Oct 2019 16:45

AthleticoSpizz (rather have Jim Bowen placeholder already emplaced elsewhere)
nah...good luck to him

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 17:18

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

The above makes a lot more sense than man is a snake who magically got himself into a position at the club to fire the popular but failing manager just so he can take his job narrative that seems to have bedded in.

Unless you believe that Bowen went out and hired shoddy players this summer to undermine Gomes and then helped them to underperform to an extent that the manager could be fired after roughly the same number of games he usually gets fired (or leaves) after.

Oh god yes. Never bought that nonsense.

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 16 Oct 2019 14:00

scumbag Twitter virgins losing their collective minds as if we announced Adolf Hitler as manager.

This tickled me :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Oct 2019 07:15

Ian Holloway revealed on talksport that he applied for the job...

https://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Footb ... ip/Reading

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 17 Oct 2019 07:32

I would have liked to see him as the manager. Decent boss who knows his stuff in this league.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 17 Oct 2019 08:25

The Enfield Royal71 I would have liked to see him as the manager. Decent boss who knows his stuff in this league.

Long had his day I think. Seeing Parky appointed at Sunderland makes you reflect on those that said he wasn't ready for Reading and then we appoint someone with no managerial experience. I think also worrying that a number of ex players who know him saying how surprised he's been appointed. Do they know something we don't?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Oct 2019 08:37

Thought Holloway did well with qpr couple of years back

Obvs his 'schtick' wears a bit thin, but I think he's a decent manager

606 posts