CONFIMRED - Mark Bowen

385 posts
royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED - Mark Bowen

by royalp-we » 14 Oct 2019 16:32

Fact is - Bowen signed most of the new arrivals. Gomes couldn’t get the best out of them. Makes total sense for Bowen to now try and steer us to safety with this squad of players.

Looking forward to Saturday now.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Oct 2019 16:32

earleypr Don't know a great deal about Mark Bowen. But for a long time now this club has really needed a lift and something to get the fans excited about. This doesn't feel like it.

Results only the thing thing that matters. Celebrity appointments have no value.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 16:49

Maybe he is just paving the way for us to be grateful for Mark Hughes in a couple of months time.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 14 Oct 2019 17:03

Old Man Andrews
paultheroyal "on paper" - he has a decent 6 games to start with....

12 points+ anyone?

If he gets 0 points in the 6 games does he go?

Who's going to sack him if he does?!

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 14 Oct 2019 17:06

Franchise FC
SWLR HNA - YAWN!!

Only one important matter by which he will be judged: Pitchside; Suit, tracksuit or Cardi?

What, no waistcoat option ? SHAMBLES !!

Fair enough, but normally part of suit.
And in the winter - overcoat, Mac, or Clubshop padded jacket?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 14 Oct 2019 17:09

As I posted elsewhere, Bowen has been part of the set-up, a big and important part, already so he has been responsible in part for the signing of players, the retention of players and the way that we play.
This appointment is a surprise as I thought he might be on the way out as well.

Who knows if this will work out -time will tell but it strikes me as a bigger gamble than necessary and not much of a change from what has taken us to the lower reaches of this division.

Following on the "snake" comments I wonder if he said to McCleary, Gunter and Baldock on the sly something like "Stick around lads, keep drawing your good salaries, there is every chance that I'll be in charge if and when Jose gets the sack and I'll see that you then get a look in again".

None of what we think or say matters but it sounds as though we are a cut above the Twitterers and discussing these matters is what the forum is all about so keep on posting.
BTW is this our first Welsh manager?

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 14 Oct 2019 17:15

So - given that the guy is an inexperienced manager, does this mean fans will give him more time or less? If we are still in the relegation zone at Christmas do we say "Well, gave him a chance but he's obviously no good" or "He's obviously going to need a bit of time to get the hang of this"?

Just wondering how long it takes before we blame everything on the manager again . . .

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Oct 2019 17:17

Seems to be being bad mouthed by Gabbidon and Edwards on Twitter. They might know him well enough.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Oct 2019 17:17

Victor Meldrew As I posted elsewhere, Bowen has been part of the set-up, a big and important part, already so he has been responsible in part for the signing of players, the retention of players and the way that we play.
This appointment is a surprise as I thought he might be on the way out as well.

Who knows if this will work out -time will tell but it strikes me as a bigger gamble than necessary and not much of a change from what has taken us to the lower reaches of this division.

Following on the "snake" comments I wonder if he said to McCleary, Gunter and Baldock on the sly something like "Stick around lads, keep drawing your good salaries, there is every chance that I'll be in charge if and when Jose gets the sack and I'll see that you then get a look in again".

None of what we think or say matters but it sounds as though we are a cut above the Twitterers and discussing these matters is what the forum is all about so keep on posting.
BTW is this our first Welsh manager?

Ady Williams and Jeff Hopkins were joint caretakers for a game

Eddie Niedzwiecki was caretaker for a while

Jack Smith was manager between 1952 and 1955
Last edited by Sutekh on 14 Oct 2019 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Oct 2019 17:20

Sutekh
He also came in as part of Jose’s management team early this year with a particular emphasis on looking at the opposition and helping set up Reading to be effective on the day and this was generally successful so he has some nous about him

I'm sorry, but how was this generally successful?

Surely if it WAS successful, then Gomes wouldn't have been sacked.

What am I missing?

You clearly imply that Bowen has had a big influence on how we play
"looking at the opposition and helping set up Reading to be effective on the day"
but it's patently obvious that we HAVEN'T been effective.

Or maybe Gomes was sacked for ignoring Bowen's advice?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 17:31

Let's be honest, at most points in our history this would be welcomed as a very positive appointment.

Very experienced coach and assistant manager at top flight and international level who already knows the players and club, looking to transition to the Manager's role.

This is only underwhelming because what we really need after years of appointing no marks and people with bugger all management experience is someone with plenty of positive previous management experience, preferably at this level. Plus the coaching and management seems to have been the primary barrier to mediocrity this season, so to have someone who had input in that take over is less than inspiring.

He's got the job, so now I welcome him with open arms and will try to give him 5-10 games minimum before thinking about the knife draw.

Fresh start, let's show some positivity and help get us up the table.

If you don't like it, just stay away so the atmosphere doesn't become toxic again.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Oct 2019 17:40

I agree...very magnaminous and better luck next time Ian

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 17:45

Ascotexgunner
paultheroyal
Old Man Andrews If he gets 0 points in the 6 games does he go?

Give him 8

I seem to remember when BM MK1 took over we put a 10 straight win run together didn't we?

Given we never won 10 games straight under Brian, no. Not even close. Only Coppell managed 10 (in recent years, obvs someone before my time got 13)

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 14 Oct 2019 17:46

Victor Meldrew Following on the "snake" comments I wonder if he said to McCleary, Gunter and Baldock on the sly something like "Stick around lads, keep drawing your good salaries, there is every chance that I'll be in charge if and when Jose gets the sack and I'll see that you then get a look in again".

I would imagine they were booted out of the squad because of bonus payments for playing, as a money-saving exercise, rather than Jose deciding he wouldn't call on them, even when we were short of players.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Oct 2019 17:47

Let's go all conspiracy mad for a moment and say that Bowen stitched up Gomes and sabotaged the applications so he'd get the job....

so what?

Don't we want a shrewd cunning manager?

Bring it on!

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Oct 2019 17:54

Victor Meldrew As I posted elsewhere, Bowen has been part of the set-up, a big and important part, already so he has been responsible in part for the signing of players, the retention of players and the way that we play.

Only employed in a consultancy role until mid August. Perhaps the owners already had concerns. Touchline antics this season would suggest that not all was well behind the scenes.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 14 Oct 2019 17:55

royalp-we Fact is - Bowen signed most of the new arrivals. Gomes couldn’t get the best out of them. Makes total sense for Bowen to now try and steer us to safety with this squad of players.

Looking forward to Saturday now.

Didn't he only become sporting director once the transfer window was shut? Don't remember any quotes from him about any of our signings like we used to get from hammond

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 17:56

As for the questions about what happens if he loses his first 5 games / we get relegated...

We accept we rolled the dice and providing we aren't getting worse and worse (which would be hard with 1 point in 6 the baseline) and give him decent time (unless we're looking at a L1 or another Championship relegation fight this time next year).

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 14 Oct 2019 18:05

URZZZZ
Greatwesternline 3rd poor appointment in a row.

Its a lack of ambition yet again. When we hired Adkins he was generally a sought after man. I suspect the same with Steve Clarke, and to a lesser extent Stam.

What has changed? Have we given up going for the best candidate?

Yeah, because the man who took us to a playoff final and then promotion in consecutive seasons was so sought after

I understand that Pardew and McDermott were successes. I also understand that Clement, Gomes were not. Bowen is not Pardew of McDermott, he hasnt worked with lots of the players in training, or scouted them, or worked with the u21s. He joined in March.

If anyone is more excited about this than getting in Chris Hughton, then f*** me. fair play, you really see the sunny side of life. But Hughton is unemployed, has repeatedly got teams recently out of this division and comes across well. The fact we havent got him as a manager is a dissapointment to me.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 18:07

Greatwesternline
URZZZZ
Greatwesternline 3rd poor appointment in a row.

Its a lack of ambition yet again. When we hired Adkins he was generally a sought after man. I suspect the same with Steve Clarke, and to a lesser extent Stam.

What has changed? Have we given up going for the best candidate?

Yeah, because the man who took us to a playoff final and then promotion in consecutive seasons was so sought after

I understand that Pardew and McDermott were successes. I also understand that Clement, Gomes were not. Bowen is not Pardew of McDermott, he hasnt worked with lots of the players in training, or scouted them, or worked with the u21s. He joined in March.

If anyone is more excited about this than getting in Chris Hughton, then f*** me. fair play, you really see the sunny side of life. But Hughton is unemployed, has repeatedly got teams recently out of this division and comes across well. The fact we havent got him as a manager is a dissapointment to me.

Hughton would be amazing, but do you really think he'd be interested? Always a massive long shot and no chance we've appointed Bowen instead of him as a genuine option.

385 posts