CONFIMRED - Mark Bowen

385 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - Mark Bowen

by URZZZZ » 15 Oct 2019 13:19

Liking the sound of him so far. Our "know it all" Twitter experts can shut up whinging now

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Oct 2019 13:21

Interesting press conference. Obvs not clear if completely true, but if it is then the gimps on twitter really should stop barracking him.

Interest that he mentions he knows how he is perceived, not trying to sugar coat it.

Certainly after the interview, a little bit more enthused by the whole thing

and

I want to play fast, attacking football that’s entertaining.
I know the squad I’ve got - it’s about getting the ball forward quickly and get strikers banging in goals.

yes please Mark.
Last edited by Hound on 15 Oct 2019 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Oct 2019 13:21

Yeah, sounds like he was surprised by it all - approached by the owners and was delighted to accept. Stresses several times he didn't instigate it at all.

Till end of season.

Gomes was pleased for him and even gave the owners a glowing reference of him when he was leaving.

Had input on training ground last season and buying players but this season had nothing to do with training/etc and was asked by Gomes to come and watch on matchdays only. They would only have a "light chat" after games (and perhaps half time, can't remember. [I'm not sure how I feel about this - surely he could have given some good pointers if he could see something wrong, but maybe I'm being harsh]

Doesn't want to set targets of 2ppg as might demotivate players if they don't achieve it. But thinks this squad can get promoted this season.

Very aware of his situation and how he's viewed by people.

Wants to play "fast attacking football". Get the ball forward quickly into goal scoring opportunities.

He says no manager knows their best 11 and have a core of 9 or so players with 1 or 2 depending on the game.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 15 Oct 2019 13:22

URZZZZ Liking the sound of him so far. Our "know it all" Twitter experts can shut up whinging now

Fat chance.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Oct 2019 13:23

URZZZZ Liking the sound of him so far. Our "know it all" Twitter experts can shut up whinging now

As I said. It wouldn't matter a jot what he said, none of them will believe him, because they've already made their minds up.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 15 Oct 2019 13:23

What a great interview......I really hope it works out for him. Sounds like a great guy. He knows what hes up against and responded really well.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Oct 2019 13:27

genome

As I said. It wouldn't matter a jot what he said, none of them will believe him, because they've already made their minds up.

Yep, already seen the "Bowen is lying" going around on Twitter. It's nice to see the average fan knows more about what's going on from outside the set up to someone who was right in the middle of it

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Oct 2019 13:30

URZZZZ
genome

Yep, already seen the "Bowen is lying" going around on Twitter. It's nice to see the average fan knows more about what's going on from outside the set up to someone who was right in the middle of it

of course. Snake Bowen who sacked fan hero Gomes and replaced him with himself.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Oct 2019 13:33

Decent interview so far; happy to confront difficult questions. Only one notable negative:

"I want to be careful about putting targets on the team - it can be a motivator or demotivator"

Promptly followed by:

"We are pushing for the play-offs and promotion"

Why are we saying this? Can't we just aim to finish as high as possible?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Oct 2019 13:33

Einstein agogo who does Bowen's job now?
The next first team manager?

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 15 Oct 2019 13:34

Annoying there is no snake emoji on here

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Oct 2019 13:35

URZZZZ
genome

Well to be fair he might be.

It's entirely possible he subtly put Gomes in a negative light and declined to support him fully over months dropping hints he was interested, putting the suggestion forward gently that his ideas were better etc. I work alongside real political type psychopathic twats and I see day in day out how these people operate.

Whatever it is though, it is. If Gomes wasn't up to sorting it out himself then he deserved to go. And sneaky or not in the whole affair, Bowen at least deserves a shot, it is only a short term thing. Kind of like an extended caretaker. Only results matter, so the twitter conspiracists can STFU now and get behind our man because the guy is getting sacked at the earliest hint that he's not the right man.
Last edited by Millsy on 15 Oct 2019 13:36, edited 1 time in total.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 15 Oct 2019 13:35

If what he is saying is true then the owners/Howe need to take some responsibility for the reception he's got. It doesn't to take a genius to work out this is how the appointment will likely be interpreted by the fans/press. A short quote in the announcement from Dai himself saying exactly what Mark's just said would have avoided all of this...

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 15 Oct 2019 13:40

Sounds like a good football bloke who has does his time in numerous roles throughout his career and now has his big opportunity as a first-team manager. Of course he was never going to turn the job now if he was offered it.

Time to back him and the team. The squad is good-enough for the top half of this league, lets hope he gets us ticking.

All this snake stuff from all the keyboard warriors on Twitter is embarrassing, 3pts at home to PNE on Saturday should sort that out.

Good luck Mr Bowen!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Oct 2019 13:58

I'm inclined to take the new manager at face value, ultimately he does not own the club nor does he run it so any decision to sack Gomes was not his.
If he did voice an opinion on the matter then it's likely he was asked because it makes sense to ask for the opinion of someone with so much experience in the game - that was what he was hired for.

It all sounds rather positive following the press conference so let's get off his back, ultimately it's a results game and we all want the team to do well so let's give him the same chance we've given other managers.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 15 Oct 2019 14:03

Let us just say he wasn't involved in sacking Jose, and didn't marginalise him in any way.

He wasn't involved in appointing himself i.e. putting himself forward.

Jose was genuine in his 'glowing reference' (i'm sure he wasn't going to badmouth a current employee when his friends are there and he's waiting for a nice payoff).

GIVEN all that - which is all VERY unlikely. This is is still a horrible appointment. A coach with no managerial experience, managing a club with real issues, which seemingly haven't been able to be corrected by a succession of managers. Done the way it was, it just makes it even worse.

As a footnote the whole Gunter / McCleary thing stinks too. Can imagine they helped oust Jose in some way shape or form too.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 15 Oct 2019 14:05

Yup I agree with most of what people are saying above. I didn't and still don't think he is the best appointment but he dealt with the issues head on came across as honest and engaging didn't try to hide from anything which was the best he could have done. I agree with the comment that the owners and Howe should have explained why they chose him or even that it was their choice if what he said about his selection was true..could have saved him all the grief

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Oct 2019 14:33

royal_rumble Let us just say he wasn't involved in sacking Jose, and didn't marginalise him in any way.

He wasn't involved in appointing himself i.e. putting himself forward.

Jose was genuine in his 'glowing reference' (i'm sure he wasn't going to badmouth a current employee when his friends are there and he's waiting for a nice payoff).

GIVEN all that - which is all VERY unlikely. This is is still a horrible appointment. A coach with no managerial experience, managing a club with real issues, which seemingly haven't been able to be corrected by a succession of managers. Done the way it was, it just makes it even worse.

As a footnote the whole Gunter / McCleary thing stinks too. Can imagine they helped oust Jose in some way shape or form too.

All the above could have simply been written as "I'd already made up my mind based on nothing but supposition and am not going to change it - cheers"

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 15 Oct 2019 14:41

I think the interview has hopefully cleared up a few things, especially for the Twitter mongs.

Time to get behind him as much as we can

However...if he was involved in identifying & signing Lucas Joao for £5m...that is concerning!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Oct 2019 14:44

Simon's Church Annoying there is no snake emoji on here
Make your own

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :mrgreen:

385 posts