BFTG - Luton

122 posts
elrey

Re: BFTG - Luton

by elrey » 10 Nov 2019 10:36

NewCorkSeth
Franchise FC
NewCorkSeth Couldn't watch as I had to go to a gender reveal party. Anyone fancy giving a detailed summary?

Everyone had a bit of a drink, some snacks and the baby is going to be ....

Turns out she wasnt pregnant.

Turns out it was a gender reveal for the boss's 18 year old son. He's turned into a girl.

Blue Blood

by Blue Blood » 10 Nov 2019 10:39

Royal Monkey Made it down for this one , a fantastic team performance against one of the worst sides I have seen in a long time. As others have mentioned Swift and Richards were outstanding.
I left Nottinghamshire at 3am straight after a night shift to come down to Reading. I left Reading at 7pm to go home I’m am currently sat on the A34 just b4 the Abingdon turn off and it’s 10.20 pm been sat here nearly 3 hours cos of accident shutting the road and I’m still about 140 mile from home!!! I left my house over 29 hours ago all I can say is I’m bloody glad it was a good game :lol:

Was sat in that jam as well for 4 hours and I was only 5 minutes from home!

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 10 Nov 2019 10:43

JR
andrew1957 Whenever we win well people say we were playing a very poor side. There is no doubt that Luton are limited but I think we would have beaten almost any Championship team playing like that today and so to me it is about how well we played and not how poor Luton were. The question is can we play that well against stiffer opposition like Brentford and Leeds.

But a fantastic performance today. Everyone did well. I thought that Richards was great and vying for MOTM with Swift. Baldock was also excellent but to be fair so were all the players. There were no weak links today and they all put in a shift.

And as for Bowen - when he was given the job it did seem an bit of an odd appointment at the time, but I was one who thought we should give him a chance and what a job he has done so far. 10 out of 10 today.

1/ its great to see a settled team with only enforced changes made (in this case just Obita) after a win. I have never understood it when managers tinker for the sake of tinkering. It must be frustrating for a player to do well only to be dropped next game.
2/ his first 11 pick is spot on as far as I can see.
3/ his subs were spot on and timely. We were fading a bit second half and the injection of Meite and McCleary definitely put pressure back on Luton - who cracked and made a mistake for our third goal.
4/ thought he said all the right things on BBCRB after the game.

The next two will be tough games. It might be a stretch but I will be very happy with two draws or a win and a loss. We can but hope.

This is all spot on, brilliant today.

It also massively frustrates me that whenever we win well that apparently the opposition are useless. It’s lazy commentary

To a certain degree yes, but there's no doubt that Luton played into our hands with a half hearted press that meant there was acres of space for our midfield and even to play the ball into feet for our forwards.

You can see how they managed to pick up so many points earlier in the season, with neat short passes and 3rd third man runs, but they'll need to bring something more or they'll be found out like yesterday on a regular basis.

Having said that, our midfield by comparison totally swamped them and gave them no space to create anything. Also, the 352 is starting to come together and the understanding between the wingbacks and the back 3 was much better.

Yesterday's performance was almost a carbon copy of the Millwall game, where we were comfortable but let them back in it when Moore went off.

When Puscas went off we did lose a bit of tempo up front as Meite isn't as mobile as Baldock was out on his feet.

Lastly, what a great performance by Richards, by far the best I've seen from him and he would've been motm if it weren't for Swift.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Nov 2019 11:24

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Not to be a downer but he hasn't had much choice about the starting XI has he? Hard to praise a man for picking the only viable team.

I'm not criticising him btw.

:?:

Blackett vs Richards vs Obita
Blackett and McIntyre vs Moore, Morrison and Miazga
Pele vs Rinomhota and Ejaria
Meite vs Puscas
Plus McCleary, Gunter, Loader, Olise, Barrett...
3-5-2 vs 5-4-1 vs 4-4-2 vs 4-3-3

I respectfully disagree that that list quantified tough decisions.

On the formation, after the first game, it no longer factors. He wasnt going to switch it after a win.

Blackett was recoving from injury and the lads had just kept a clean sheet. He was never going to slot him in and after the Millwall performance without Moore I think it became obvious Blackett was 4th choice.

Likewise, Meite was recoving from an injury. That's the front 2 sorted automatically.

I would say the only 2 positions where there has been doubt over who should start has been Rinonhota v Pele and Obita v Richards. Tellingly they have been the positions most changed. Remember Pele was going to start against Forest.

I have no problem with the view there's a clear first choice side. But to say Bowen's had no choice and only had one viable side is stupendous exaggeration. Especially in a wider context than just the Luton match. We have a big squad and there's loads of possible combinations.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 10 Nov 2019 11:29

Add me to the Swift love-in.
On days like that you can see how much players with classy backgrounds like Swift and Ejaria enjoy playing together as they are so aware of where each other is on the pitch.
A very good performance on a day when fans were bound to get wet at some stage and I feel for Royal Monkey and his ludicrously long day-have been there in the past but it is bearable because of the win and how we played..

As this board is for honesty as well as giving praise (and yesterday was praiseworthy) I would just like to add a couple of things.
Puscas is clearly lacking confidence (what a shame the header didn't go in where he did the right thing by heading the ball back in the direction it came) and really should have taken on the shot early on in the game from the edge of the area especially in view of the conditions.
The other thing was that he messed up twice by bringing the ball back onto his right foot and losing possession when he should have had a go with his left foot.
His effort can't be faulted and we all like a trier.

Looking at Richards, he has such a brilliant touch for a full-back but whereas he looks quite quick he was outpaced a couple of times when defending.
His overall defending and timing of tackles has got better as he matures I think this apparent like of pace may stop him going higher in the game but I badly want him to do well and I suppose players like Rose and Chilwell aren't that quick when defending, nor was Shorey so maybe he is quick enough to be a Premier League player.

BTW, the day was even better because I backed Morrison to be first goalscorer and to score at any time so, kushty.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Nov 2019 11:50

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal :?:

Blackett vs Richards vs Obita
Blackett and McIntyre vs Moore, Morrison and Miazga
Pele vs Rinomhota and Ejaria
Meite vs Puscas
Plus McCleary, Gunter, Loader, Olise, Barrett...
3-5-2 vs 5-4-1 vs 4-4-2 vs 4-3-3

I respectfully disagree that that list quantified tough decisions.

On the formation, after the first game, it no longer factors. He wasnt going to switch it after a win.

Blackett was recoving from injury and the lads had just kept a clean sheet. He was never going to slot him in and after the Millwall performance without Moore I think it became obvious Blackett was 4th choice.

Likewise, Meite was recoving from an injury. That's the front 2 sorted automatically.

I would say the only 2 positions where there has been doubt over who should start has been Rinonhota v Pele and Obita v Richards. Tellingly they have been the positions most changed. Remember Pele was going to start against Forest.

I have no problem with the view there's a clear first choice side. But to say Bowen's had no choice and only had one viable side is stupendous exaggeration. Especially in a wider context than just the Luton match. We have a big squad and there's loads of possible combinations.

I get it but if you read my original comment I say "not much choice" and "only viable". Sure , he could have changed formation and started players like Barrett, Olise, Loader and McIntyre but that was always unlikely.

If Joao and Boye were fit for selection the entire time and ye had kept with a settled XI then i think it would have been a fair comment. As it stands hes chosen the obvious team selection (barring Baldock who kept his place based on form)

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Nov 2019 12:14

For me:

Puscas - Baldock partnership.

Baldock very sharp. And everywhere on the pitch. Reminds me of Kitson’s defensive efforts. Never stopped running.

Our fighting spirit. Clear very early on that we were going to win every 50-50. If not there were 2 other Reading players nearby who would. How often has it been said that the team who wants it most wins. It was clear very early on we wanted it more.

Finally,: this was a brilliant demonstration of new new direct play vs pass it around indecisive BS.

In summary in many ways this was like watching old Reading play against new Reading.

MARK BOWEN’S BARMY ARMY!!!!!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Nov 2019 12:21

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth I respectfully disagree that that list quantified tough decisions.

I get it but if you read my original comment I say "not much choice" and "only viable". Sure , he could have changed formation and started players like Barrett, Olise, Loader and McIntyre but that was always unlikely.

If Joao and Boye were fit for selection the entire time and ye had kept with a settled XI then i think it would have been a fair comment. As it stands hes chosen the obvious team selection (barring Baldock who kept his place based on form)

He could of course have fielded any number of teams.

The fact that we’re even having this discussion is actually testament to Bowen’s ability. After only 3 games in charge he has done what those before him failed to do in months and give us a team that speaks for itself, that even fans like us can look at and say “Well that is an obvious choice.” Only obvious because he has made it so.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Nov 2019 13:15

Blood and thunder football is back at Madejski Stadium.

They were gutsy, full of balls, full of running, fighting for every ball. Football is fun again. Long live Bowen.

And the Royals are marching UP UP UP!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Nov 2019 13:30

2 world wars, 1 world cup
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal I have no problem with the view there's a clear first choice side. But to say Bowen's had no choice and only had one viable side is stupendous exaggeration. Especially in a wider context than just the Luton match. We have a big squad and there's loads of possible combinations.

The fact that we’re even having this discussion is actually testament to Bowen’s ability. After only 3 games in charge he has done what those before him failed to do in months and give us a team that speaks for itself, that even fans like us can look at and say “Well that is an obvious choice.” Only obvious because he has made it so.

But, with the exception of the starting strikers, this has been the case all season once we settled on the 3-5-2. Bowen hasn't had to make any big calls up front. Well, other than bringing Baldock back in. Which has worked out great.

My point is he would have been nuts to pick any other player over the following: Rafael, Yiadom, Miazga, Morisson, Swift and Ejaria. Add into that, that Puscas and Moore were hard to drop and that's 8 of the starting 11 almost guarenteed. 2 of the others are the positions hes not been consistent with (for good reason).

Bowen has done really well so far. Great unity in the team as well as much improved performances and attitude. But the starting team has been mostly obvious for months now.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 10 Nov 2019 13:35

One thing i've noticed is that our CBs convert into CMs during games - look at the highlights for the 2nd goal and you see Moore racing towards their penalty box ... I saw him and Miazga doing that again in the second half. Makes a lot of sense when you're playing that formation ... and I don't think we saw this under Gomes?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 10 Nov 2019 13:59

Royalwaster One thing i've noticed is that our CBs convert into CMs during games - look at the highlights for the 2nd goal and you see Moore racing towards their penalty box ... I saw him and Miazga doing that again in the second half. Makes a lot of sense when you're playing that formation ... and I don't think we saw this under Gomes?

These overlapping runs are something Sheff Utd are being lauded for in the Prem.

As Bowen says, get the ball forward quicker and get players in support. Our previous lethargic approach allowed the oppo to get men behind the ball; and only works if you’re better than the opposition each to a man.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Nov 2019 14:01

NewCorkSeth
NewCorkSeth I get it but if you read my original comment I say "not much choice" and "only viable". Sure , he could have changed formation and started players like Barrett, Olise, Loader and McIntyre but that was always unlikely.

But, with the exception of the starting strikers, this has been the case all season once we settled on the 3-5-2. Bowen hasn't had to make any big calls up front. Well, other than bringing Baldock back in. Which has worked out great.

My point is he would have been nuts to pick any other player over the following: Rafael, Yiadom, Miazga, Morisson, Swift and Ejaria. Add into that, that Puscas and Moore were hard to drop and that's 8 of the starting 11 almost guarenteed. 2 of the others are the positions hes not been consistent with (for good reason).

Bowen has done really well so far. Great unity in the team as well as much improved performances and attitude. But the starting team has been mostly obvious for months now.

Bowen has had to choose between
- Moore and Blackett or McIntyre. Not least because of Moore's recent injury, but also his poor form under Gomes
- Obita, Blackett and Richards, that's a lot of competition with all playing well
- Pele and Rinomhota
- whether we can cope with both Ejaria and Swift in the same midfield, could easily have steadied the ship by playing Rino and Pele
- whether to change shape to accommodate McCleary and Barrett or Meite, who have all performed fairly well when called on.
- Meite, Puscas and Baldock are there for two positions and Meite has done well when given a chance.

There is nothing that isn't viable about those changes over Bowen's 4 games. Possibly not optimal for sure, not always possible either, but he's hardly had no tough choices to make.

He's picked a system that wasn't working and made it work. He's picked players who weren't 0erforming consistently and got them doing so, he's returned players who'd been left out in the cold, and he's not started players who have put in perfectly good performances.

The fact that in doing so he's achieved what other managers haven't is testament to the excellent choices and work he's done, saying the team picks itself and he had no viable alternatives seriously undermines the excellent work he's done so far.

He's a baldy legend.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 10 Nov 2019 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Nov 2019 14:01

elrey
NewCorkSeth
Franchise FC Everyone had a bit of a drink, some snacks and the baby is going to be ....

Turns out she wasnt pregnant.

Turns out it was a gender reveal for the boss's 18 year old son. He's turned into a girl.

Fit?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Nov 2019 14:25

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

Bowen has had to choose between
- Moore and Blackett or McIntyre. Not least because of Moore's recent injury, but also his poor form under Gomes
- Obita, Blackett and Richards, that's a lot of competition with all playing well
- Pele and Rinomhota
- whether we can cope with both Ejaria and Swift in the same midfield, could easily have steadied the ship by playing Rino and Pele
- whether to change shape to accommodate McCleary and Barrett or Meite, who have all performed fairly well when called on.
- Meite, Puscas and Baldock are there for two positions and Meite has done well when given a chance.

There is nothing that isn't viable about those changes over Bowen's 4 games. Possibly not optimal for sure, not always possible either, but he's hardly had no tough choices to make.

He's picked a system that wasn't working and made it work. He's picked players who weren't 0erforming consistently and got them doing so, he's returned players who'd been left out in the cold, and he's not started players who have put in perfectly good performances.

The fact that in doing so he's achieved what other managers haven't is testament to the excellent choices and work he's done, saying the team picks itself and he had no viable alternatives seriously undermines the excellent work he's done so far.

He's a baldy legend.

I dont think it undermines his work at all to suggest he has picked the team 99% of fans would have picked (without changing formation obviously).
I am happy with everything so far. In fact one would have to go digging pretty deep to find a real negative right now. Maybe Rafael being a poor communicator or the potential headache he faces when the injured players return? Nothing serious at all.

The problem is once he settled on a formation it's not hard to figure out who to play.
GK - Rafael. He was hardly going to drop him
RWB - Yiadom. Again obvious.
RCB - Miazga has it nailed on.
CB - Morisson was never going to be dropped.
LCB - Our first questionable position but after the first performance he was never going to change it. The Blackett cameo cemented that. And Blackett was recovering from an injury hence was always unlikely to start.
LWB - He hasn't actually been able to make his mind up here. And that's been a good thing so far. I suspect he will continue to rotate.
CM - Rinomhota was always my clear choice here but Bowen has been equally supportive of Pele for this starting spot.
CM - Swift. Who drops the divisions biggest creator?
AMC - Ejaria. Again. Why would he drop him? And for who?
ST - Puscas and Baldock. Meite was the competition for this place. Meite missed a game injured. Their form has kept them together. Why would anyone (even a shit manager) split up a strike partnership that is actually working.

So for me that's 2 positions that are hard to choose following his first game in charge and he has chopped and changed those 2 positions.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 10 Nov 2019 15:57

When is Joao likely to be back from injury? I know a lot of people don't like him, but think if motivated he could be lethal in this league and definitely better than Meite (who I don't rate ... just don't think he has a footballing brain).

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Nov 2019 16:03

Royalwaster When is Joao likely to be back from injury? I know a lot of people don't like him, but think if motivated he could be lethal in this league and definitely better than Meite (who I don't rate ... just don't think he has a footballing brain).

Under Gomes none of the strikers looked effective.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 10 Nov 2019 16:59

While a 3-0 win is always nice, I was a bit disappointed that we didn't do better. Luton were terrible, yet even though we cut through their midfield at will, we didn't really create that many clear chances. The goals, when they came, were from a set piece, a piece of individualism, and a defensive mistake. Creativity is still an issue. Hopefully Bowen can start to address that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Nov 2019 17:10

Royalwaster When is Joao likely to be back from injury? I know a lot of people don't like him, but think if motivated he could be lethal in this league and definitely better than Meite (who I don't rate ... just don't think he has a footballing brain).

If he puts the effort in, he can be a success, but he hasn't previously. Whereas Meite has and has delivered as a result.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Nov 2019 19:10

Coming off the bench really doesn’t seem to suit Meite tbh. As said many times, he needs a run in the side

I think I’d rather Joao over him on the bench most of the time

122 posts