Nostalgia thread

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Nostalgia thread

by KC Royal » 13 Nov 2019 15:32

Inspired by the BBC RB podcast interviews that Adie has been doing I've been looking back at past seasons and thought it was worth having a thread about it.

To start here's the games i saw in 2002-2003 which is where it all began for me in terms of watching games (apart from the odd TV game over the previous 7 years and some games which i'd listened to, Gillingham and Colchester spring to mind, BBC Essex covered the latter's games).

13th August Sheff Weds H 2-1 :) - watched on TV at mate's. Cureton got the headlines with his two goals but I remember Shorey oozing class.
27th August Burnley H 3-0 - My first ever game :D Brilliant from Curo, 2 goals and an assist including his lob over the keeper at the end. In the season review Pardew talks about how fans shouldn't have left early, remember some in our row that did just that. Joined in the chants of Cureton what a bargain etc at the end which he acknowledged, remember he looked straight at me,
9th November Gillingham A 1-0 :) - Never got to a game at Elm Park but I've always thought that Priestfield is similar to EP, open air terrace, ground situated amongst houses. The parking was always a problem, nowadays I just get the train if go to a game (which hasn't been for a few years now). Had forgotten that Rougier scored the goal! I was in the home end (to the right of the away end) and Gills fans hurled abuse at Forster, I know he moved from Gillingham to Brentford but I don't know what their beef with him was. We had a similar move to the goal earlier in the half which was cleared away, just as well we didn't score as I was just about to jump up which would have got me kicked out! Upson was class, got worried when he went off injured but Mackie deputised well. It was noticeable how we dropped deeper after he went off though, presumably because Mackie didn't have Upson's pace? We looked a good team that day, prior to Upson's departure I think we were in control.
10th Feb Gillingham H 2-1 - Watched on TV at mate's. Had forgotten Sidwell had a penalty saved. Thought we were lucky to win at the time. It was interesting to see the Gillingham lineup and notice how many players I had completely forgotten about.
5th March Norwich A 1-0 :) Again watched at mate's. Won with an own goal.
Good Friday 18th April Nottm Forest 1-0 :) Went to a bar in Canterbury (which no longer exists) with mate to watch this. They were showing rugby league and refused to switch it over. Then another fan came in with his mates and all of a sudden they did! Spent the game chatting away to him, there must have been another fan who arrived later as when the goal went in a cheer went up at the back of the bar.
Playoffs 10th May Wolves A 1-2
14th May Wolves H 0-1 :(
- Watched both at mate's. When we scored up at Molineux must admit I did start to get carried away. Even after Forster went off injured at worst I thought we'd get a draw in that game, so to lose the tie 3-1 after that was disappointing... I think it was the home game when the cameras showed Mrs Butler and her sister Curo's No 1 fan with their flag. Whatever happened to them? Do they still post on here?

Don't think at the time I properly appreciated how good that season was. With hindsight it's one of my favourite seasons, crazy set of results, automatic promotion winning form up until the playoffs :shock: Got some luck though as was out with mates for the Brighton home game which was also on Sky but wasn't in a pub that was showing the game but another mate was. Think I may have ended up there later but the game had finished by then, so my winning run wasn't ruined!

I was sure i'd seen Upson in a TV game (initially thought Norwich but that was months after he left) but i'm assuming we didn't actually have any televised games during his loan spell?

Here's the season review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8NTa6_bxxI&t=936s

Any other memories of that season?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Nostalgia thread

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Nov 2019 15:41

I remember listening at home to an excellent midweek 3-1 away win at Sheffield United that season, who were third and very strong at home.

But more memorable was going to the following match; Rotherham at home. Rotherham were 6th, largely built off being tough, competitive and effective. It was seen as a very tricky match following on from such a good result. And we simply blew them away; great goals from Harper, Hughes and Forster had us 3-0 up by half time; they were chasing shadows.

That week convinced me we weren't pretenders; we were genuine promotion candidates. Sadly we all know how it ended, but that season was possibly my second favourite behind 05/06. Good football, genuine excitement given we'd never been a premier league team and I was aged 14 or so, and therefore allowed myself to get far more excited by football than my older cynical self.

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 13 Nov 2019 15:58

Aaah, oranges at halftime, jumpers for goal posts, heavy brown leather ball, green knees, marvellous.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 13 Nov 2019 16:40

Half time scores going up on board at side of Elm Park pitch.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 13 Nov 2019 19:18

Elm Park. Terraces. Corrugated iron. Barbwire.
Some anorak with a wireless relaying scores from other games.
Motty. Tim Gudgin.
The Rumbelows Cup.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 13 Nov 2019 19:24

Just cleared out my mum's place....found loads of old programmes from the late 1960's and early 1970's.....Jack Mansell's programme notes are something else...not the bland drivel you get now; talks about life. politics, everything

PS for younger fans he was team manager back then

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 13 Nov 2019 20:19

KC Royal 13th August Sheff Weds H 2-1 :) - watched on TV at mate's. Cureton got the headlines with his two goals but I remember Shorey oozing class.

Remember really well. Myself and another hobnobber were on holiday in Crete watching that. A few hours after the game we met a couple of Wednesday lads and for the rest of the holiday we were drinking and causing carnage. Went to visit Sheffield after that and it was a proper city, loved it. 17 years later and we still have a catch up every now and then.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 13 Nov 2019 20:34

WestYorksRoyal I remember listening at home to an excellent midweek 3-1 away win at Sheffield United that season, who were third and very strong at home.

But more memorable was going to the following match; Rotherham at home. Rotherham were 6th, largely built off being tough, competitive and effective. It was seen as a very tricky match following on from such a good result. And we simply blew them away; great goals from Harper, Hughes and Forster had us 3-0 up by half time; they were chasing shadows.

That week convinced me we weren't pretenders; we were genuine promotion candidates. Sadly we all know how it ended, but that season was possibly my second favourite behind 05/06. Good football, genuine excitement given we'd never been a premier league team and I was aged 14 or so, and therefore allowed myself to get far more excited by football than my older cynical self.

Watching that season review for the games I saw at the time, and from seeing some other matches on it several years ago (one of which might have been that Sheffield United game) what struck me the most was how quick we broke. Forgot to add, that Wolves home leg was when Pardew played Hughes up front and Henderson on the left wing, a decision which still baffles me to this day.

The only time I thought of the bigger picture was during the playoffs. Up until then I was just grateful to be able to watch games, and the rest of the time couldn't believe we were doing so well, basically zero pressure and little expectation.

And interesting story FR.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Nov 2019 22:44

15000 + :wink: crammed into the South Bank for the 14th game of that winning run v Wolves, promptly followed by a return to the 5000 or so for the next home game :lol:

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 14 Nov 2019 08:32

the Stockport match between christmas and new year in 1993. Top 2 against each other. Southbank absolutely packed like I couldn't remember before. Ice cold weather. Giving Kevin Francis lots of stick.

Was buzzing for that game during the christmas build up as it was so big. Giving Kevin Francis lots of stick.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 14 Nov 2019 12:13

KC Royal Got some luck though as was out with mates for the Brighton home game which was also on Sky but wasn't in a pub that was showing the game but another mate was. Think I may have ended up there later but the game had finished by then, so my winning run wasn't ruined!

Just discovered that the final regular league game of that season, a defeat at Stoke, was also televised. Would have missed that one as well!

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 14 Nov 2019 16:16

KC Royal
Playoffs 10th May Wolves A 1-2
14th May Wolves H 0-1 :(
- Watched both at mate's. When we scored up at Molineux must admit I did start to get carried away. Even after Forster went off injured at worst I thought we'd get a draw in that game, so to lose the tie 3-1 after that was disappointing... I think it was the home game when the cameras showed Mrs Butler and her sister Curo's No 1 fan with their flag. Whatever happened to them? Do they still post on here?

Henderson actually played on the left wing for the first leg as well, "to nullify the threat of Denis Irwin" apparently. Forgot that Tyson was also sent off at the end of that game.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 14 Nov 2019 16:48

I loved Elm Park,even though it was pretty decrepit.
My first game as a very young lad was against Portsmouth.Jimmy Dickinson and Ron Saunders.
My favourite game was either thrashing Wet Sham or beating Liverpool.
I was surrounded by Liverpool fans in work.The following day in work,I let them stew for hours,before I ripped into them.
The worst games,was anytime we played Arsenal.

under the tin

by under the tin » 14 Nov 2019 18:47

Sutekh 15000 + :wink: crammed into the South Bank for the 14th game of that winning run v Wolves, promptly followed by a return to the 5000 or so for the next home game :lol:

How about over 40,000 travelling to Wembley for the Simon cup final, then the next home game, when they paraded the trophy around Elm Park, in front of all of 11-12,000 :oops: :oops: :oops:

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 14 Nov 2019 18:58

KC Royal
KC Royal Got some luck though as was out with mates for the Brighton home game which was also on Sky but wasn't in a pub that was showing the game but another mate was. Think I may have ended up there later but the game had finished by then, so my winning run wasn't ruined!

Just discovered that the final regular league game of that season, a defeat at Stoke, was also televised. Would have missed that one as well!

I think that result saved Stoke and relegated Brighton.

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 14 Nov 2019 19:55

Green Elm Park. Terraces. Corrugated iron. Barbwire.
Some anorak with a wireless relaying scores from other games.
Motty. Tim Gudgin.
The Rumbelows Cup.

Wading through the massive piss lake in the southbank toilets.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 14 Nov 2019 20:39

The football club quiz, in the Elm Park bar.
Gilkesy even took part in at least one season.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 15 Nov 2019 01:51

under the tin
Sutekh 15000 + :wink: crammed into the South Bank for the 14th game of that winning run v Wolves, promptly followed by a return to the 5000 or so for the next home game :lol:

How about over 40,000 travelling to Wembley for the Simon cup final, then the next home game, when they paraded the trophy around Elm Park, in front of all of 11-12,000 :oops: :oops: :oops:

It was less than that 9,000 against Ipswich. 30,000 fans vanished in less than a week. Even David Copperfield couldn’t manage that trick!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Nov 2019 12:29

How about me getting an autograph from Robin Friday straight after the game when he did that phenomenal turn volley goal. It was just amazing. Annoyingly I recorded it on my phone but accidentally deleted it.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Nov 2019 19:17

RF and 'Minty ' Murray coming out of the Spread, whiskes in hand pre match.

Bunking in after half-time.

Aldershot at home ( and the high Police presence)

Botulism Burgers washed down with Narizz Fizz

'Never a quarrel bet Joe Coral' scoreboard

Getting a 'clip around the ear' by a Policeman for swearing

The Swiss Cottage

Charlie Hurleys blue and white army

Hicksies hoofs

etc etc