LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8629 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by Hoop Blah » 11 Nov 2019 13:49

Victor Meldrew One other thing-Sterling.
In recent days there has been talk of him going to Real Madrid, earning something like £500,000 per week and now being almost up there with Messi and Ronaldo in ability.
Really?

I know yesterday was a difficult game for him but considering he had a lot of the ball, especially late on, he wasn't IMHO that effective and certainly on that showing not entitled to be mentioned in the same breath as Messi and Ronaldo, two of the game's all-time greats.

Playing at Liverpool with Suarez and Coutinho and then at City alongside their great attacking players he gets so many chances it is no wonder he is up amongst the top goalscorers-IMHO he is not a very good finisher but, with his pace, he does get into good finishing positions.
A good player but still a long way off being great.

I think that's quite an outdating view of Sterling Victor.

He's improved immeasurably over the last couple of years and is right up there with the best players in the world now. He used to miss chance after chance when he was at Liverpool but now, for England and City, he's pretty clinical and is getting into better scoring positions.

Even the likes of Messi and Ronaldo have struggled to impose themselves against good opposition at times, and games against Liverpool obviously present quite a challenge for Sterling, but you can't really compare most players against Messi and Ronaldo as they're two of the best players ever.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Nov 2019 14:26

Hoop Blah
In recent days there has been talk of him going to Real Madrid, earning something like £500,000 per week and now being almost up there with Messi and Ronaldo in ability.
Really?

I know yesterday was a difficult game for him but considering he had a lot of the ball, especially late on, he wasn't IMHO that effective and certainly on that showing not entitled to be mentioned in the same breath as Messi and Ronaldo, two of the game's all-time greats.

Playing at Liverpool with Suarez and Coutinho and then at City alongside their great attacking players he gets so many chances it is no wonder he is up amongst the top goalscorers-IMHO he is not a very good finisher but, with his pace, he does get into good finishing positions.

He's improved immeasurably over the last couple of years and is right up there with the best players in the world now. He used to miss chance after chance when he was at Liverpool but now, for England and City, he's pretty clinical and is getting into better scoring positions.

Even the likes of Messi and Ronaldo have struggled to impose themselves against good opposition at times, and games against Liverpool obviously present quite a challenge for Sterling, but you can't really compare most players against Messi and Ronaldo as they're two of the best players ever.

Yeah, a classic example of a player working on their weaknesses to become a very good player. I don't like Sterling as a person but as a footballer, he's quality and even yesterday, he was City's brightest player

Although saying that, not sure joining Madrid is a good career move, not working very well for Hazard over there so far

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Nov 2019 14:32

Hoop Blah
Really?

My reason for comparing him with those greats is in response to our media suggesting that he has reached their level.
There is no doubting that he has improved under Pep and with maturity but in my eyes he is still a very long way short of Messi and Ronaldo and shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath.
I also think most Liverpool fans are more than pleased to now have Mane playing in his position.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Nov 2019 11:39

Having finally seen the TAA handball incident, I think, on balance, the ref got it right. His arm wasn't way up away from his body, the ball appears to hit his side first and his arm didn't move towards the ball.

If that happened in a Reading game, I'd be mightily pissed off if that was given against us.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Nov 2019 13:49

From Despair To Where? Having finally seen the TAA handball incident, I think, on balance, the ref got it right. His arm wasn't way up away from his body, the ball appears to hit his side first and his arm didn't move towards the ball.

If that happened in a Reading game, I'd be mightily pissed off if that was given against us.

I agree it wasn't a penalty but don't the new handball rule state that if there is even an accidental handball in the build up to a goal then the goal is not given. Liverpool wouldn't have been able to break away and score without the handball so should the goal have been disallowed? If so, what would you restart the game with?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Nov 2019 14:20

Stranded
From Despair To Where? Having finally seen the TAA handball incident, I think, on balance, the ref got it right. His arm wasn't way up away from his body, the ball appears to hit his side first and his arm didn't move towards the ball.

I agree it wasn't a penalty but don't the new handball rule state that if there is even an accidental handball in the build up to a goal then the goal is not given. Liverpool wouldn't have been able to break away and score without the handball so should the goal have been disallowed? If so, what would you restart the game with?

I think the rule is that the handball leads to the goalscoring opportunity they score from. I think it would be pretty harsh to say a handball 100 yards from the goal has led to the chance to score.

The more I see it the more I think Liverpool were very lucky to get away with it though. In real time I thought it wasn't anywhere near to being enough of a handball to be blown for, but some of the slow motion and various angles have me questioning that.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Nov 2019 15:23

Stranded

I would have played on and not given a handball against Alexander-Arnold or Aguero who committed a similar handball immediately before it. As in "build up" to a goal, Citeh had 21 seconds, the full length of the pitch and a couple of phases of play including a clear opportunity to challenge the second ball after the clearance before Firmino scored.

If Citeh lose the title, it won't be because of Alexander Arnold's handball, it will be because they lose to teams like Norwich, something Liverpool have not done since they lost to Swansea 22 months ago. (They have lost 3 league games since then, away to Chelsea, Utd and City).

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Nov 2019 15:45

URZZZZ
Hoop Blah
Really?

Yeah, a classic example of a player working on their weaknesses to become a very good player. I don't like Sterling as a person but as a footballer, he's quality and even yesterday, he was City's brightest player

Although saying that, not sure joining Madrid is a good career move, not working very well for Hazard over there so far

His fitness is picking up and he had his best game of the season last weekend.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Nov 2019 12:25

I see Florentino Perez has logged in again. :wink:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Nov 2019 22:06

Klopp's been so good for Liverpool but time and time again the midfield three of Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum doesn't work, why keep trying?

Big blow Fabinho coming off for them but a bit of luck because he was out of Saturday's game through suspension anyway

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 28 Nov 2019 13:25

URZZZZ Klopp's been so good for Liverpool but time and time again the midfield three of Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum doesn't work, why keep trying?

Well that's not strictly true, it was the midfield that got them to the CL final (Milner gave way for Fabinho in the final).

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Nov 2019 14:24

Sanguine
URZZZZ Klopp's been so good for Liverpool but time and time again the midfield three of Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum doesn't work, why keep trying?

Well that's not strictly true, it was the midfield that got them to the CL final (Milner gave way for Fabinho in the final).

In the semis, didn’t Wijnaldum come on for Robertson at half time and Milner shifted to left back? Milner and Henderson, IMO, are just a bit samey

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 28 Nov 2019 14:56

Sanguine

It's the one area LFC have decent enough replacements for

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Nov 2019 19:45

BR0B0T
Sanguine

They’ve got a decent set of CB’s too. It’s a backup forward (only Origi and Shaqiri at this stage) and fullbacks where they don’t have enough cover

One bad injury to TAA or Robertson and they’d be in a bit of trouble. Milner can do a job there but I wouldn’t fancy their chances if he had to play there every week

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 28 Nov 2019 19:54

URZZZZ
BR0B0T
Sanguine

They’ve got a decent set of CB’s too. It’s a backup forward (only Origi and Shaqiri at this stage) and fullbacks where they don’t have enough cover

One bad injury to TAA or Robertson and they’d be in a bit of trouble. Milner can do a job there but I wouldn’t fancy their chances if he had to play there every week

nah they have players that play reasonably well next to VVD but agree about the rest

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Nov 2019 20:39

BR0B0T
URZZZZ
BR0B0T

nah they have players that play reasonably well next to VVD but agree about the rest

Agreed, I think if VVD goes down for a significant number of games, they may struggle at the back.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Nov 2019 01:23

Hendo
BR0B0T
URZZZZ

Agreed, I think if VVD goes down for a significant number of games, they may struggle at the back.

To an extent, they're struggling at the back as it is. 2 clean sheets all season, 0 at Anfield. Although they haven't conceded more than once yet in a league game so not too much of an issue. Level of defending from the "big six" haven't been great so far. Cleanest defence been Leicester. Surprisingly Sheffield United third best (given they conceded 3 last game too)

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Nov 2019 11:27

URZZZZ
Hendo
BR0B0T

To an extent, they're struggling at the back as it is. 2 clean sheets all season, 0 at Anfield. Although they haven't conceded more than once yet in a league game so not too much of an issue. Level of defending from the "big six" haven't been great so far. Cleanest defence been Leicester. Surprisingly Sheffield United third best (given they conceded 3 last game too)

I have been saying for years that defending in this country is poor.
So many foreign forward players come here and lick their lips at the prospect of playing in the Premier League and getting so many more chances than they would get in many other countries .

We have never seen defending as an art form and have only woken up in recent years to needing top grade keepers and defenders and they now cost almost as much as forwards whereas they once were so much cheaper.

As for Liverpool if they carry on scoring as many as they do then the issue over the defence is no big deal as 37 points out of a possible 39 shows.
There will be a game or two where the "weakness" will be a problem and it could even be in a game like today v Brighton but as far as the season so far is concerned (and last season) things look quite good.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Nov 2019 11:55

Losing Fabinho for 6 weeks, and a very busy 6 weeks at that, will be a bit of a test for Liverpool. Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner can all play that role, and I believe Lallana has been doing it this season too, so they have options who can cover him, but not as well as he's done the job for the last 12 months.

It might test that back for a little more without his extra defensive cover.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 30 Nov 2019 12:14

Victor Meldrew
URZZZZ
Hendo

I have been saying for years that defending in this country is poor.
So many foreign forward players come here and lick their lips at the prospect of playing in the Premier League and getting so many more chances than they would get in many other countries .

We have never seen defending as an art form and have only woken up in recent years to needing top grade keepers and defenders and they now cost almost as much as forwards whereas they once were so much cheaper.

As for Liverpool if they carry on scoring as many as they do then the issue over the defence is no big deal as 37 points out of a possible 39 shows.
There will be a game or two where the "weakness" will be a problem and it could even be in a game like today v Brighton but as far as the season so far is concerned (and last season) things look quite good.

I was just briefly looking at Utd's 85/86 season the other night as it's comparable to the one your mob are having (41 from first 45 points). Utd were also nine points clear of you and 13 points ahead of Everton (champions)

Robson got injured halfway late October got back for Jan and was then out again for rest of the season. His replacement Remi Moses also got injured for a long time. Mark Hughes stopped scoring in Jan, it was announced he was leaving in March. Rumours of heavy drinking culture etc

I also think there's a mean-reverting nature of football in terms of group performance, injuries, referee decisions, luck (beach balls) etc

Need to have a bit more of a think on this before drawing conclusions

8629 posts