145 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Birmingham

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Dec 2019 22:42

URZZZZ
Hound
FiNeRaIn
A lower mid table team at home, that hadn't won in five, and had only won twice all season away from home. Most people would be expecting to win that game so er what all you want.

Everything in your post is wrong though

This manager does this so often? He’s been here 9 games. What other game looked like a comfortable win that we lost? Brentford away? Leeds home? ‘Another’ unacceptable result - which was the other ones?

It’s just a load of cliched nonsense

Don’t agree with you although he hasn’t worded it great

Every time we pick up a couple of decent results, for a while now, we lose

Which is why we’ve got back to back wins three times in two years IIRC. This group of players, once again, has the inability to keep the momentum going forwards. Obviously the manager bit is nonsense because he’s only been here for a short period, but the team bit isn’t incorrect

I guess it would have been nice to go into fixtures against 23rd and 24th with a couple of wins behind us, rather than constantly looking behind our shoulders. Because if we get a poor points tally from the next two, we’re straight back in the mix

Although I don’t agree with FR that Birmingham are a bad side, they played some good football

Bowen

WDWWLLWL

That's four good results in a row under Bowen, half his games in charge and your pattern doesn't exist.

Under previous managers, maybe. This is our first poor result under him.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Dec 2019 23:09

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Hound

This manager does this so often? He’s been here 9 games. What other game looked like a comfortable win that we lost? Brentford away? Leeds home? ‘Another’ unacceptable result - which was the other ones?

Don’t agree with you although he hasn’t worded it great

Every time we pick up a couple of decent results, for a while now, we lose

Which is why we’ve got back to back wins three times in two years IIRC. This group of players, once again, has the inability to keep the momentum going forwards. Obviously the manager bit is nonsense because he’s only been here for a short period, but the team bit isn’t incorrect

I guess it would have been nice to go into fixtures against 23rd and 24th with a couple of wins behind us, rather than constantly looking behind our shoulders. Because if we get a poor points tally from the next two, we’re straight back in the mix

Although I don’t agree with FR that Birmingham are a bad side, they played some good football

Bowen

WDWWLLWL

That's four good results in a row under Bowen, half his games in charge and your pattern doesn't exist.

Under previous managers, maybe. This is our first poor result under him.

I did say that. I specifically said under this group of players we aren’t ever able to build momentum which is why we haven’t won three in a row since Apr 17. Thats a poor record. I clearly said it’s nonsense to blame Bowen because he’s new to the job

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Dec 2019 23:58

Westwood52 That was dismal.
Lack of sharpness ,poor passing,no commitment in the tackle.
Despite a Ref who bordered on bias,Brum fully deserved their win.
There just does not seem a central core to the team,so that even if it’s an off day they can adjust and still be competitive.
IMHO

Rafael 4 He’s not really that good is he ,just better than Walker or Virginia.
Yiadom 6 wholehearted,and looked dangerous going forward,but lacking in quality on the ball.
Richards 2 He really was dreadful today,and was a liability throughout.Dont want to see him in the team again for quite a while.
Moore 8 Comfortably our best player today,haveing to shore up the shower of s##t around him.
Rino 5 The game completely by passed him,until it was too late.Hasnt kicked on this season.
Miazga 6 Why take him off so early.Did nothing wrong.
Morrison 2 Cannot understand it.Usualy so reliable,but a calamity waiting to happen today.
Pele 6 Excellent corners and I generally thought he was ok.
Puskas 2 Atypical George day.Just a waste of space.
Meite 5 zero hold up play Touch of a brick wall. Good goal though
Macca 3 Just couldn’t do the job required.

Boye Kept on losing the ball.
Jao Missed a good chance when he came on.Fluke of a goal.
Adam. Has seen better days,but at least he looked after the ball.

Worryingly small crowd today.

You`re marks are usually applalling. but to give give Meite 5 is quite frankly shocking, scored a goals yes, but for a guy his size hes like f*cking bambi on ice, never leave an elbow or shoulder in there, and that 2nd halt shot from 40 yatds, get a grip. its well known you don`t like Puscas, and noticeable you didn`t post last week.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Dec 2019 00:16

Hound
FiNeRaIn
Hound
Er what?

A lower mid table team at home, that hadn't won in five, and had only won twice all season away from home. Most people would be expecting to win that game so er what all you want.

Ignore him. He’s a Rangers fan FFS.

He doesn’t go to games. He posts diatribes when we don’t win.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Dec 2019 00:29

First half was pretty average but Birmingham never threatened aside from a complete fluke of a goal.

The change of shape absolutely killed us. No need for it, and within 5 mins of the second half kicking off you could see it wasn't working. Despite that we should have still made it 2-2 before they killed the game off, with Yiadom putting it on a plate for Joao following a superb ball from Adam.

Without that change at half time we at least get a point, and we nearly got one anyway. Another lesson for Bowen, but it ain't the end of the world.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Dec 2019 00:41

Ok, hard to describe that without swearing, first 30 minutes was a non event, lets get through to HT I said to my friend, we cant be as bad on the 2nd half, enter Morrison forgetting he doesn`t play for them anymore.
Not to worry our 6.2 striker does the only thing of note he does in the whole game to drag us level at the break.

Piss and a drink later we learn Bowen has taken off Miazga instead of Morrison (who I like) but was not having one of his better days.
early minutes looked like they had never seen each other let alone played together. .

Rafeal 6 cant fault him, it must be stressful playing behind that lot.
Yiadom. 4 tbf was quite dangerous fizzing some crosses in in the 2nd half, suspect at the back.
Richards, I like him, but useless today 3
Moore 6 you will always get a good shift out of him, unlucky to hit the bar in the 2nd half, long throws always a good option.
Morrison, 2 now I like this guy, but its sad he had his worse game for us against his former side.
Miazga 5 not great but better than Morro, unlucky to get hooked at HT.
Rino 4, a shadow of the player he has been in the past, didn`t notice anything he did of note today.
Pele 7 probably our best player I the centre today, tacking and distribution was ok.
McClearly 3 NOT an attacking midfelder in any form, shocking.
Meite 1 absolute shit, for a man his size he should be leaving something in there with defenders, an elbow or a shoulder, he does none of it, (he got a point for turning up and another for scoring, but i took that away again for that 2nd halft `efforf`)
Puscas 5 actually liked him today, plenty of effort with runs off the ball, no service .
Subs
Adam. 8 MOTM 20 bloody minutes, didn`t waste a ball.
Boye 3 played like one.
Joao. 4 blazed over a great chance , then scored, meh.

Ref 1 just piss off

Bowen. 4 showed his inexperience for me. changing it a HT was bollocks. you need to let it progess further before pulling the trigger, it was painfully obvious early in the 2nd half we would be strugglng,
The jury is still out.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Dec 2019 00:52

Zip Just seen the free kick again. Rafael should have done better imo.

Nope top corner.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Dec 2019 01:02

windermereROYAL Ok, hard to describe that without swearing, first 30 minutes was a non event, lets get through to HT I said to my friend, we cant be as bad on the 2nd half, enter Morrison forgetting he doesn`t play for them anymore.
Not to worry our 6.2 striker does the only thing of note he does in the whole game to drag us level at the break.

Piss and a drink later we learn Bowen has taken off Miazga instead of Morrison (who I like) but was not having one of his better days.
early minutes looked like they had never seen each other let alone played together. .

Rafeal 6 cant fault him, it must be stressful playing behind that lot.
Yiadom. 4 tbf was quite dangerous fizzing some crosses in in the 2nd half, suspect at the back.
Richards, I like him, but useless today 3
Moore 6 you will always get a good shift out of him, unlucky to hit the bar in the 2nd half, long throws always a good option.
Morrison, 2 now I like this guy, but its sad he had his worse game for us against his former side.
Miazga 5 not great but better than Morro, unlucky to get hooked at HT.
Rino 4, a shadow of the player he has been in the past, didn`t notice anything he did of note today.
Pele 7 probably our best player I the centre today, tacking and distribution was ok.
McClearly 3 NOT an attacking midfelder in any form, shocking.
Meite 1 absolute shit, for a man his size he should be leaving something in there with defenders, an elbow or a shoulder, he does none of it, (he got a point for turning up and another for scoring, but i took that away again for that 2nd halft `efforf`)
Puscas 5 actually liked him today, plenty of effort with runs off the ball, no service .
Subs
Adam. 8 MOTM 20 bloody minutes, didn`t waste a ball.
Boye 3 played like one.
Joao. 4 blazed over a great chance , then scored, meh.

Ref 1 just piss off

Bowen. 4 showed his inexperience for me. changing it a HT was bollocks. you need to let it progess further before pulling the trigger, it was painfully obvious early in the 2nd half we would be strugglng,
The jury is still out.

Agree with most of it, but had we have kept the tactics the same in the second half and we’d have lost, equally Bowen would have been criticised for not changing it considering how poor the first half was

Obviously you’re slightly harsh on Meite :lol: but the reality is once again he was useless. I make that 0 wins in games he’s started now where he hasn’t been subbed off whilst we’re losing/drawing. Not just down to him but that’s a really poor record when you look at it. He either needs to on the right side of a 4-2-3-1 or accept he’s going to end up competing for Boye/Loader as the fourth choice striker

I also thought at HT Morrison was actually playing quite well, and his own goal was unlucky so I think it was the right call leaving him on. Ultimately he had a disaster in the second half

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 08 Dec 2019 03:19

Lower West
Crowbar6753
NewCorkSeth Someone may come and point out we dont have anyone to play the Ejaria role which I understand. Joao maybe could do it but he wasnt fit enough for a full 90 and we would all rather see him up top anyway. Maybe Barrett? Anyway, hindsight really helps here.

I mentioned in another post about giving Olise a try, he is super skillful and has the ability to make things happen and i do believe he scored for the Under 23s yesterday.

Considerable difference between u23 and Championship football. Players need to be integrated progressively.

I 100% agree "Lower West" however, without our two main creative outlets in "Swift & Ejara" other than 15 mins in the Wigan game we have been atrocious without any creativity in the middle.
Olise has played a few first team games and acquitted himself well, so with these two out of action this was a great chance to see how far he has progressed even as an impact sub.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 08 Dec 2019 04:25

This was a Gomes performance. Awfull first half but they were not much better second half utter pants. Just kept on giving the ball away.
I'm usually Puscas biggest critic but today he was ok just living off terrible scraps that were thrown at him. At least Bowen was honest enough post match to admit we were terrible and not treat us like idiots.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 08 Dec 2019 05:24

windermereROYAL

Nope top corner.

It was an excellent strike, no doubt. But the wall was not in the right place nor was there enough people in it. Keeper openly invited the taker to put it in the corner he did.

Anyway.... This is my first time in a LONG time that I've seen Reading live. Have to say I didn't see a single interesting player on the Reading side. If I had to choose one it would probably be Yiadom but overall a terrible game for the scouts. I thought our strikers were awful. It never looked like at any point that we had two up front, so we never looked dangerous. I think a pacy, annoying forward would make a world of difference as I didn't think the midfield was that bad.

Two points of contention:
At half time I thought we'd win the game, but Birmingham came out a different side in the second half and we didn't cope. So I feel we could have got something from the game at one point. So, disappointing really.
I thought the ref was pretty decent actually. Yeah he gave a lot of decisions to Birmingham but I didn't think there was anything wrong with his performance

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 08 Dec 2019 08:29

The chemistry isn't there with this group of players.They are not a team.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2019 09:01

windermereROYAL

Nope top corner.

Thought his starting position was poor. Let the wall do its job and protect the other side. Saying that there was crazy dip and it was an excellent shot, but start one step nearer that corner and you've got a chance to save it.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 08 Dec 2019 09:34

Crikey I have been criticised for over rating a player.Meite.At least he had a moment with the goal.
I would agree though,that he should not start if everyone is fit.
IMHO I thought Richards and Morrison were very bad and in normal circumstances would be dropped for Wednesday.
On the free kick,most people round me felt Rafael went with the wrong hand,so had no chance.
Be interested what any goalies out there felt.Personaly I tried to keep away from the position.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Dec 2019 11:01

Crowbar6753
Lower West
Crowbar6753
I mentioned in another post about giving Olise a try, he is super skillful and has the ability to make things happen and i do believe he scored for the Under 23s yesterday.

Considerable difference between u23 and Championship football. Players need to be integrated progressively.

I 100% agree "Lower West" however, without our two main creative outlets in "Swift & Ejara" other than 15 mins in the Wigan game we have been atrocious without any creativity in the middle.
Olise has played a few first team games and acquitted himself well, so with these two out of action this was a great chance to see how far he has progressed even as an impact sub.

I'm with crowbar. Olise looked up to it last season.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Dec 2019 11:07

Bowen appears to have frozen out the youngsters in Barrett and Olise, unlike Gomes who would give them a chance.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Dec 2019 11:08

Playing Rinomhota and Pele is fine away at Leeds but at home to Birmingham no chance. Bowen should have started with Adam and then brought on Olise when Adam tired. If you have no creativity in midfield where are the chances coming from?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Dec 2019 11:29

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
windermereROYAL

Nope top corner.

It was an excellent strike, no doubt. But the wall was not in the right place nor was there enough people in it. Keeper openly invited the taker to put it in the corner he did.

Anyway.... This is my first time in a LONG time that I've seen Reading live. Have to say I didn't see a single interesting player on the Reading side. If I had to choose one it would probably be Yiadom but overall a terrible game for the scouts. I thought our strikers were awful. It never looked like at any point that we had two up front, so we never looked dangerous. I think a pacy, annoying forward would make a world of difference as I didn't think the midfield was that bad.

Two points of contention:
At half time I thought we'd win the game, but Birmingham came out a different side in the second half and we didn't cope. So I feel we could have got something from the game at one point. So, disappointing really.
I thought the ref was pretty decent actually. Yeah he gave a lot of decisions to Birmingham but I didn't think there was anything wrong with his performance

So it wasn't a blatant foul on McCleary deep in their half from which they countered and won the free kick that they scored from after McCleary reacted stupidly to not get the free kick from the foul on him?!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Dec 2019 11:33

Westwood52 Crikey I have been criticised for over rating a player.Meite.At least he had a moment with the goal.
I would agree though,that he should not start if everyone is fit.
IMHO I thought Richards and Morrison were very bad and in normal circumstances would be dropped for Wednesday.
On the free kick,most people round me felt Rafael went with the wrong hand,so had no chance.
Be interested what any goalies out there felt.Personaly I tried to keep away from the position.

Yep, I was wondering whether he went with the wrong hand but need to check with the goalkeeping expert in my family! I suspect I might be told that rather counter-intuitively they can actually reach further in that situation when bringing that arm over! I've certainly seen many keepers making great saves that way.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2019 11:40

Zip Playing Rinomhota and Pele is fine away at Leeds but at home to Birmingham no chance. Bowen should have started with Adam and then brought on Olise when Adam tired. If you have no creativity in midfield where are the chances coming from?

Don't see how you can start with Adam. The guy plays walking football is just so off the pace. Fine for 15 - 20 minutes to come on and ping passes around when pressing hard at the end, but dreadful to start.

Rino and Pele is fine, but they need an actual creative midfielder with them. McCleary simply doesn't play pass and move, he runs at people and his control was diabolical yesterday. Olise should be playing in the absence of Swift and Ejaria.

If we play that system, we have to play it, not crowbar someone in out of position. That's why we've been so pedestrian in attack (plus Meite and Puscas really won't work together on scraps).

On the plus side, set piece delivery was way better and more crossing.

145 posts