January Transfer Window

456 posts
WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Re: January Transfer Window

by WoodleyRoyal » 08 Jan 2020 10:39

WestYorksRoyal I'm going to stick my neck out on Barrett. I'm disappointed he's gone. If you look at what Boye has contributed this season, surely you could have given Barrett more chances? In his limited chances, he assisted against Sheff Wed, scored 2 against Plymouth, was involved in setting up the equaliser against Wolves and scored in our final pre season game against Chelsea.

I'm not suggesting he should have been starting, but if you look at the chances Loader has has and how mediocre Boye is, I simply think Barrett deserved more of a chance. We're also going to release McCleary this summer; shouldn't we be looking at academy options who can step up?

A season in and around the squad would have been fair, before moving on to L1 if he's not up to it. From what we saw this season, I don't think he was far off the required standard. I won't be at all surprised if this is a single step back on the way to a decent Championship career.

we don't know what sort of war chest we are going to have in the summer though, Bowen might already know what sort of budget he's going to have. if we are planning on spending big again then he might fall further down the food chain. Barrett for all we know has asked for assurances on his future and Bowen has not been able to give him any, in that situation any young footballer worth their salt is going to jump at the chance of regular football and taking one step back to take 2 steps forward.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Jan 2020 10:51

I suspect you're right on war chest. The 17/18 loss will go off the books for FFP purposes and the owners will loosen the purse strings. Wingers will surely be top priority, with McCleary and Boye sure to leave. Maybe in that context, giving Barrett a chance to step up wasn't seen as realistic when you compare him against what would be available on the market. In which case, it's best for the player to move on.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Jan 2020 11:00

WestYorksRoyal I suspect you're right on war chest. The 17/18 loss will go off the books for FFP purposes and the owners will loosen the purse strings. Wingers will surely be top priority, with McCleary and Boye sure to leave. Maybe in that context, giving Barrett a chance to step up wasn't seen as realistic when you compare him against what would be available on the market. In which case, it's best for the player to move on.

If we stick with this formation wingers are certainly the priority. Even Meites most aggressive detractors should admit he is a good AMR in this division but we would be left with just him and Nevers... Unless Barrow wants to stay of course.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Jan 2020 11:08

Next summer Barrow either has to be back as an option to play, or represent good money through the door we can spend on a replacement. I still don't know why we let go on loan for no fee this year if I'm honest. Bringing up Boye again - surely Barrow is better?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jan 2020 11:33

I doubt we didn’t get any fee for Barrow for the loan

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Jan 2020 11:34

Or, if there was no fee then I would suggest they are paying close to all his wages.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jan 2020 13:26

Gylfi is rumoured to going to be one of the first casualties under Ancellotti. Wouldn’t it be incredible if.....

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Jan 2020 13:31

Sutekh Gylfi is rumoured to going to be one of the first casualties under Ancellotti. Wouldn’t it be incredible if.....

He'll go to someone like Villa.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Jan 2020 16:39

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... t-17534342

Interesting, especially the £600k salary cap. That means Morrison, Joao, Puscas and Rafael could all be on £12k a week or less, which isn't big money at this level. Also good we're clearly still cooperating with EFL

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jan 2020 16:40

Kelly has signed for Oxford then. Along with a very underwhelming video of him doing a few keepy ups in a muddy field looking like every kid playing Saturday morning grassroots

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 08 Jan 2020 16:42

WestYorksRoyal https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/reading-fc-remain-under-soft-17534342

Interesting, especially the £600k salary cap. That means Morrison, Joao, Puscas and Rafael could all be on £12k a week or less, which isn't big money at this level. Also good we're clearly still cooperating with EFL

:shock:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Jan 2020 16:43

That pisses me off. £12m on Joao and Puscas is not the same as deals worth up to £12m.

From what I read at the time, we didn't pay more than £2m up front.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Jan 2020 16:44

WoodleyRoyal
WestYorksRoyal https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/reading-fc-remain-under-soft-17534342

:shock:

Could be bollocks. The article is based upon reports from Brazil. If it's true, I don't know why it would be reported in Brazil and not here. The Club were also fairly open about it in the summer, so don't know why they would be silent now.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 08 Jan 2020 16:52

From Despair To Where? That pisses me off. £12m on Joao and Puscas is not the same as deals worth up to £12m.

From what I read at the time, we didn't pay more than £2m up front.

And you take Getreading as gospel?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Jan 2020 17:00

I expect overall it's true. We structured our summer business cleverly and got the transfers sanctioned by the EFL, but given how close we're sailing to the wind, we're still on their watch list. That's fairly speculative though. Agreed the £12 million figure is bollocks and will only ever be realised if they both bang in a shit load of goals and we get promoted.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Jan 2020 17:13

Exactly, there's no way the EFL would sanction £12m of transfers when we're under a soft embargo.

Don't think the respective wages are that high either. Championship clubs on average offer higher wages than 75% of the clubs in Serie A, La Liga, Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jan 2020 17:37

WestYorksRoyal I expect overall it's true. We structured our summer business cleverly and got the transfers sanctioned by the EFL, but given how close we're sailing to the wind, we're still on their watch list. That's fairly speculative though. Agreed the £12 million figure is bollocks and will only ever be realised if they both bang in a shit load of goals and we get promoted.

My take is that a lot of the pressure will come off this summer when Stam/Goulay’s disastrous splurge fall off the cycle and Obita/Blackett/McCleary/Gunter/Popa/Mannone/Loader and some of the fringe players all fall out of contract. And hopefully we get shot of Aluko

Expect at that point further payments will be made on Puscas, Joao and Ejaria of course

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2020 18:05

I dunno if that article has changed, but now it says the club say the continued embargo and report from Brazip is bollocks and the embargo was lifted before we signed Joao and Puscas.

I could believe Puscas not being on a big wage, young etc although £12k is really pushing credibility seeing as he clearly came in as amongst the first choice.

But Joao on that seems utterly incredible. As in without credibility.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 08 Jan 2020 18:20

Hound Kelly has signed for Oxford then. Along with a very underwhelming video of him doing a few keepy ups in a muddy field looking like every kid playing Saturday morning grassroots

Found his level

RichTea94

by RichTea94 » 08 Jan 2020 19:16

Sutekh Gylfi is rumoured to going to be one of the first casualties under Ancellotti. Wouldn’t it be incredible if.....

And Shane Long's contract expires in the summer...

456 posts