Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (a) sponsored by Dylan Kerr

by Sutekh » 11 Jan 2020 18:38

When : Tuesday 14th January, 7.45pm
Where : Bloomfield Road, Seasiders Way, Blackpool, FY1 6JJ
Capacity : 17,338
Away Stand : One side of the 'temporary' East Stand on one side of the pitch
What might I see in the area : Illuminations

It’s a cup replay, the game that teams supposedly never want. A long trek up north for a game in bracing weather against a team that will be more than up for it, though that bit really shouldn’t come as a surprise after the first “leg”.

Sadly Blackpool have had a “Bury” week and will be all nice and fresh as they haven’t played since the game finished at the Mad Stad so that’ll be something extra to take into account.

Blackpool are without a win since defeating Fleetwood at home on 7th December. But equally Reading’s midweek away record is a bit stinky with, I think, the only victory in almost 2 years (that one win being at Plymouth in the league cup earlier this season). But on the positive side that was also with a much weakened starting XI so it can be done.

Not expecting a line up terribly different from the first game though perhaps it may be a little stronger. Aluko may well be handed a start and given the opposition Mr Adam might have some involvement even if it’s just travelling with the squad.

So all board for the desperate fight to win the right to either play Cardiff on consecutive weekends or play Carlisle for the first time in what would be 38 years (that replay is on Wednesday 15th January).

Referee

Bond. Darren Bond.

Previously

26 Nov 19 > Reading 0-1 Leeds United
10 Nov 18 > Reading 2-2 Ipswich Town
15 Sep 18 > Preston North End 2-3 Reading
03 Apr 18 > Aston Villa 3-0 Reading
20 Jan 17 > Reading 0-1 Brentford
30 Nov 17 > Reading 3-0 Barnsley
11 Feb 17 > Reading 0-0 Barnsley
13 Aug 16 > Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0 Reading
14 Mar 15 > Watford 4-1 Reading
30 Aug 14 > Middlesbrough 0-1 Reading

Historically

This is the second cup game to be played against Blackpool, some of you may remember that game - a 2-2 draw a week or so ago. Previous league games between the clubs have returned 17 Reading wins to 12 for the Seasiders from 40 games played.

In Blackpool there have been 5 wins for the Royals and 10 for Blackpool. Reading haven’t won at Bloomfield Road since winning 2-0 on the opening day of the 2001/2002 season, since then they’ve tried on 5 occasions and managed just 2 draws.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription (presuming you can get the commentary working at all)
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (a) sponsored by Dylan Kerr

by URZZZZ » 11 Jan 2020 18:47

Rafael

Gunter
Morrison
Miazga
Obita

McCleary
Pele
Rino
Boye

Baldock
Puscas

Walker Blackett Richards Adam Olise Aluko Loader

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2020 19:50

URZZZZ Rafael

Gunter
Morrison
Miazga
Obita

McCleary
Pele
Rino
Boye

Baldock
Puscas

Olise for Pele and maybe Loader for Baldock. Possibly Howe for Gunts as well

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Jan 2020 20:01

Hound
URZZZZ Rafael

Gunter
Morrison
Miazga
Obita

McCleary
Pele
Rino
Boye

Baldock
Puscas

Different ways of looking at it. Personally don’t want too many changes

The general idea is that whilst the playoff talks are exciting, we are 1 of about 12 teams competing for a few spots

If we lost to Blackpool, and then lose a couple of the league games preceding that, we’d almost be at a stage of nothingness. There’s a real chance to get to the last 16 with the two FA cup games ahead

Alternatively though, could work the opposite where we keep the majority of the first team refreshed and pick up valuable points ahead in the league. Interesting to see what Bowen does

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2020 20:07

My thoughts are just that Baldock is so injury prone and just come back. If Joao was fit I’d definitely go with Sam but it’s a big concern

I’d get Olise in somewhere. Think he’s quality

I’d be happy enough to start Gunter. That’s definitely ‘maybe’

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Jan 2020 20:18

URZZZZ
Hound
URZZZZ Rafael

Gunter
Morrison
Miazga
Obita

McCleary
Pele
Rino
Boye

Baldock
Puscas

The general idea is that whilst the playoff talks are exciting, we are 1 of about 12 teams competing for a few spots

If we lost to Blackpool, and then lose a couple of the league games preceding that, we’d almost be at a stage of nothingness. There’s a real chance to get to the last 16 with the two FA cup games ahead

Alternatively though, could work the opposite where we keep the majority of the first team refreshed and pick up valuable points ahead in the league. Interesting to see what Bowen does

Largely agree with this. Only exception is that, Olise is probably our brightest prospect and we should look to give him competitive opportunities. I'd fit him in for Boye, with license to drift inside

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Jan 2020 20:56

WestYorksRoyal
URZZZZ
Hound

Largely agree with this. Only exception is that, Olise is probably our brightest prospect and we should look to give him competitive opportunities. I'd fit him in for Boye, with license to drift inside

Boye was definitely the 11th player out of 11 for me. Toyed with putting Richards and Obita as a duo on the left again but it really didn’t work last weekend

Could possibly see Olise in that position, but would have thought he’d be more suited to that role on the right side, so he plays more inverted. Don’t particularly want to see Rino - Olise as a two man midfield again, too weak and lightweight last weekend. Could perhaps see Adam in this time around

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 11 Jan 2020 21:02

With the U23`s playing lunchtime on Monday, we might know more about the likely team for Blackpool when we see who is or isn`t playing for the U23`s.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 11 Jan 2020 21:07

thanks

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 13 Jan 2020 10:23

Why are we being housed in the temporary East Stand? I thought they'd moved the away fans behind the goal? I'm quite sure there are no bar facilities in the East Stand :cry:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jan 2020 12:43

None of the players who played in the first leg who are involved in the U23 game today (Osho and Watson are involved) - so I strongly expect its much the same side as the first match

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 13 Jan 2020 16:56

Hound None of the players who played in the first leg who are involved in the U23 game today (Osho and Watson are involved) - so I strongly expect its much the same side as the first match

Yep, thinking the same. Expect Puscas in for Baldock though, then the question is do we rest Baldock completely if he's not going to be starting? If we do then wonder if we may see Adam make a cameo appearance given that there's a spot available on the bench now that Barrett has left. Or if McIntyre is fit maybe a place for him?

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 13 Jan 2020 17:06

KC Royal
Hound None of the players who played in the first leg who are involved in the U23 game today (Osho and Watson are involved) - so I strongly expect its much the same side as the first match

Yep, thinking the same. Expect Puscas in for Baldock though, then the question is do we rest Baldock completely if he's not going to be starting? If we do then wonder if we may see Adam make a cameo appearance given that there's a spot available on the bench now that Barrett has left. Or if McIntyre is fit maybe a place for him?

Think Tom McIntyre might be fit as i understand he played in a friendly match on Thursday at Bearwood against the Beijing Renhe team which are over here at the moment.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jan 2020 20:41

Weather forecast looks horrendous up there for tomorrow. Possibly get called off?

Torbay Royal

by Torbay Royal » 13 Jan 2020 21:29

I bloody hope not.......I've re-arranged my work diary to be up there.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Jan 2020 21:37

Hound Weather forecast looks horrendous up there for tomorrow. Possibly get called off?

Showery morning followed by an afternoon of fairly continuous heavy rain petering out about 6pm. A bit of a strong wind about as well and a met office warning (but then they chuck those out these days like confetti). Would say there might be a possibility of postponement/abandonment which would probably mean the tie being delayed until Saturday 25 January.

Guess it comes down to what weather actually does get thrown down tomorrow and how dodgy Bloomfield Road is when it gets wet so we’ll just have to wait on see. More likely to be on than off at the moment though.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 13 Jan 2020 22:15

Torbay Royal I bloody hope not.......I've re-arranged my work diary to be up there.

Torbay to Blackpool for an evening Cup replay, fair play.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 13 Jan 2020 22:16

........and back.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Jan 2020 22:25

KC Royal

Baldock is still returning to full fitness.

Puscas up top with Boye/Loader playing in a no 10 role.

Otherwise same team as started the first match. Reasonable that they get another chance to play together in a competitive fixture.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Jan 2020 22:30

Lower West
KC Royal

Baldock is still returning to full fitness.

Puscas up top with Boye/Loader playing in a no 10 role.

Otherwise same team as started the first match. Reasonable that they get another chance to play together in a competitive fixture.

Must admit, I’ll be slightly disappointed if Burley starts the game tomorrow, clearly isn’t good enough yet

269 posts