BFTG Bristol citeh.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Bristol citeh.

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jan 2020 07:27

Thought we looked briefly good for the last 5-10 minutes of the first half and the first 5-10 minutes of the second.

After they scored we looked awful for a good bit. Then a late, late resurgence that, I gotta be honest, never looked like it would result in a goal.

Very disjointed in attack and something very wrong with the centre left of our defence. Seemed to be a lot of space throughout the game. Couldn't figure out if Moore wasnt coming out, Blackett wasnt coming in or Pele wasnt coming across. Whichever it was we looked poor there.

Thought Obita looked decent. Olise looked okay. Morrison had a very good game. Pele had some very good quality moments. The rest were meh. Not bad but not good.

Particularly poor commentary for this one. Tim went off on his usual tangents during important passages of play. Mick identified the issue at the back and explained it from a coaching standpoint very well. I wish he did that more instead of talking shit about players he doesnt like. He clearly has actual insight into tactics and formations but rarely talks about it. Spends far too much time saying "That wasnt good enough for this level".

There was a funny moment after several minutes of the 2 of them criticising Puscas (some of which was correct to be fair) Tim, clearly thinking it was time to pile on him for everything, gave out about him doing something which wasnt his fault and Mick corrected him on it. There was a second of silence from Tim where you could sense he was thinking about how he just agrees with everything Mick says and wished he got the same in return.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 29 Jan 2020 07:33

Bang average Championship game of football between two teams that will be competing in the Championship next season.

Thoughts:
- Not a good game for Puscas, BUT, like last week at Forest, he’s not a lone striker and shouldn’t be played as one. He’s young and inconsistent, but has shown flashes of ability and they’ve always been when he’s played as a two, literally no point playing him alone unless you’re putting balls into the channels for him to run on to (which we did once and he spun his man and got a cross in)

- Pele was outstanding

- Charlie Adam for me was key to our run over Christmas, now can’t even get on the pitch. Surely has to start Friday night

- Ejaria - quiet game, really cant decide if he’s better on the wing, the best we see of him is in a one on one situation (Fulham away, or his showreel doing the rounds on Twitter). Would try him on the wing Friday with Adam back in

- Swift - had an off night, it happens, been one of our best players all season

Transfer window - desperate for a hold up striker if Bowen wants to persist with one up top as Puscas and Baldock (seemingly his preferred strikers) cannot play that role

FA Cup - after tonight’s result and the 5th round draw I really hope we go for it at Cardiff next Tuesday night

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 29 Jan 2020 07:36

I thought the first hour ebbed and flowed in 10 minute spells. Bristol started better, then we had a good 10, then they would have a stronger 10 - there was nothing in the game really. The first goal was going to be so crucial, and when Ovie blazes over from three yards and they score two minutes later, it was never going to be our day.

After the goal I thought Bristol controlled the game very well for the next 20 minutes before we threw the kitchen sink at them for the final 10 - I’m still not sure how we didn’t score when we had that trio of chances.

Frustrating night all told, Club 1871 was in good voice until they scored and then dropped off a cliff.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jan 2020 07:38

When Swift and Ejaria are off their game we are completely toothless and useless. Sadly Ejaria has been missing for a few weeks now.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Jan 2020 08:41

Didn't think we were good, didn't think we were overly poor. Thought after about half an hour that one goal would win the game, but couldn't tell you which way it was going to go.

Neither team looked that threatening, I don't think Rafael had a meaningful save to make, but nor did their 'keeper really. Although it was a good save from Swift in the first half, getting down low. They took their chance, Ovie missed ours. I think if that goes in, it stays 1-0 to us.

Quite how we didn't score towards the end is beyond me, 2(?) cleared off the line in one passage of play, just not going to be your night when that happens.

Must play 2 upfront going forward, just look so toothless with only 1 up there. Thought everyone did some good stuff and everyone did some bad stuff, no one really stood out for the whole game, but I was impressed with Pele, had a range of passing that I don't think I have seen before. Olise also looked promising, agree with a previous poster that he offers more than Loader.

Had to LOL at the end of the first half when they had that free-kick about 30 yards out, only to pass it sideways and the ref blows the whistle :lol:

Both teams will be in the same division next year, of that I have no doubt.

Made it home to SE London before midnight, which I consider an achievement.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Bristol citeh

by Gunny Fishcake » 29 Jan 2020 08:43

Stranded
Zip The first thing that surprised me was how poor the attendance was. Less than 10,000 Reading fans at the game. Woeful.
It was reflected in a subdued atmosphere and lethargic start by the team

It is the legacy of about 5 or 6 years of nothingness bar one play-off run and the fact most can see we are not going to do anything this season barring a ridiculous run of form. Add in a bitterly cold night and you have a recipe for a small turnout.

If we'd had 4 or 5 points more, crowd may well have been healthier last night but as is we are unlikely to have any "big" home games again this year so smaller crowds will be the norm unless something significant happens on the pitch.

What was the crowd last night ? Can't ever find attendances reported , it did look sparse

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 29 Jan 2020 08:53

Gunny Fishcake
Stranded
Zip The first thing that surprised me was how poor the attendance was. Less than 10,000 Reading fans at the game. Woeful.

It is the legacy of about 5 or 6 years of nothingness bar one play-off run and the fact most can see we are not going to do anything this season barring a ridiculous run of form. Add in a bitterly cold night and you have a recipe for a small turnout.

If we'd had 4 or 5 points more, crowd may well have been healthier last night but as is we are unlikely to have any "big" home games again this year so smaller crowds will be the norm unless something significant happens on the pitch.

What was the crowd last night ? Can't ever find attendances reported , it did look sparse

Thought BBCRB said it was eleven and a half thousand

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jan 2020 09:00

Really confuses me why the club aren't doing more to encourge higher midweek attendances, we always seem to struggle to get the crowds in for the bog standard league games. Maybe do half price tickets midweek, get the people through the door and recoup some of the money on extra food sales etc.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jan 2020 09:01

Gunny Fishcake
Stranded

11,633 of which around 2,000 were away fans as that section of the South Stand was close to selling out. Decent turnout by 1871 in the other part of the South Stand but they were on the quiet side last night.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jan 2020 09:02

Old Man Andrews Really confuses me why the club aren't doing more to encourge higher midweek attendances, we always seem to struggle to get the crowds in for the bog standard league games. Maybe do half price tickets midweek, get the people through the door and recoup some of the money on extra food sales etc.

I don’t think it would have made much difference last night. Not a lot to play for in the League on a cold January evening.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jan 2020 09:04

Zip
Old Man Andrews Really confuses me why the club aren't doing more to encourge higher midweek attendances, we always seem to struggle to get the crowds in for the bog standard league games. Maybe do half price tickets midweek, get the people through the door and recoup some of the money on extra food sales etc.

I don’t think it would have made much difference last night. Not a lot to play for in the League on a cold January evening.

Maybe, maybe not. I would like the club to at least try it and see. The Ian's of this world will still stay away as they can't be bothered but a lot of supporters who may have not been for a while may be encouraged to return.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2020 09:19

Old Man Andrews
Zip

Maybe, maybe not. I would like the club to at least try it and see. The Ian's of this world will still stay away as they can't be bothered but a lot of supporters who may have not been for a while may be encouraged to return.

isnt that exactly what they did do with £10 bring a mate tickets?

They can't completely undercut the already rock bottom season ticket prices by keep offering blanket cheap tickets or else people won't buy them in the future. I'm not sure why it was so low last night tbh, its a pretty poor show (inc from myself as I could have made it along if I'd really tried)

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jan 2020 09:21

Hound
Old Man Andrews
Zip

They can't completely undercut the already rock bottom season ticket prices by keep offering blanket cheap tickets or else people won't buy them in the future. I'm not sure why it was so low last night tbh, its a pretty poor show (inc from myself as I could have made it along if I'd really tried)

Now this raises another interesting point. I had no idea that scheme existed and I am a reasonably big Reading supporter so how will that word be spread to the stay away supporters? The club should be trying to bring new supporters in and encouraging the stay aways to return. Give local schools and football clubs free tickets etc. Large local businesses get freebies for midweek games to encourage the staff to go straight from work etc.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 29 Jan 2020 09:25

Not too worried about the attendance. Two home cup and two London away games in January AND all following a busy Christmas period.

Display-wise, still miles ahead of what was served up by Gomes. We were still in the game right up until the very last second of the game and that is despite not playing particularly well. Puscas should have scored in the first 30 seconds, Adam should have come on in the second half and not I'm sure what is up with Swift (poss not fit).

Shout out to the Thai chicken tent. Top grub.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jan 2020 09:26

Zammo Shout out to the Thai chicken tent. Top grub.

Big plus 1. Huge fan of this, was the best thing about the evening.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jan 2020 09:26

Hound
Old Man Andrews
Zip

Yep and it’s £5 for concessions which is great value. It’s not the sort of night though when you will get many concessions through the door certainly not children that’s for sure.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 29 Jan 2020 09:27

Old Man Andrews
Hound
Old Man Andrews Maybe, maybe not. I would like the club to at least try it and see. The Ian's of this world will still stay away as they can't be bothered but a lot of supporters who may have not been for a while may be encouraged to return.

Now this raises another interesting point. I had no idea that scheme existed and I am a reasonably big Reading supporter so how will that word be spread to the stay away supporters? The club should be trying to bring new supporters in and encouraging the stay aways to return. Give local schools and football clubs free tickets etc. Large local businesses get freebies for midweek games to encourage the staff to go straight from work etc.

Think i saw one Facebook post on that deal. But wasn't really promoted in the build up.
I remember a few seasons ago in the north stand there was always a good few rows of school kids on a Saturday game. Maybe midweek games are on too late to be able to encourage children to attend?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jan 2020 09:27

This game has Mates Rates tickets available. Every ST could buy 2 tickets for a tenner each. Think it would be quite hard to do much else as if they did an open offer i.e. made it a tenner for all then they would have to offer that to away fans (that sold out anyway).

We are probably down to our absolute hardcore now and we will struggle to get the number up (esp on a cold midweek in January) unless we string together an excellent run of home form or have something important riding on a game.

In the 7 years since our relegation, we have only won 59 of 152 home games and 16 of those came in the play-off year - just 39% of games won (33% in all other seasons bar the play-off final year).

Over the same period, we have lost 49 times. Again removing the Play-off year where we only lost twice at home and our total record over the past 7 years at home is:

P129 W43 D37 L49

Not hard to see why numbers are dwindling when you know you are likely to be watching the same old stuff and more likely that not, we won't win.

Even this year, which is an improvement on previous years, we've only won 6 of 14 at home. Hardly the kind of stats to get a floating supporter out on a cold night.
Last edited by Stranded on 29 Jan 2020 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2020 09:30

being a cold January night certainly doesnt help - under Stam we were down to 6k if I remember rightly for a couple of games

They do offer various things for kids, but obviously they aren't so popular on the midweek winter nights. They do the half time pens and flag waving for local clubs. And I know my kids came home with some voucher thing for a free game a while back in their school bags

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jan 2020 09:37

Hound being a cold January night certainly doesnt help - under Stam we were down to 6k if I remember rightly for a couple of games

They do offer various things for kids, but obviously they aren't so popular on the midweek winter nights. They do the half time pens and flag waving for local clubs. And I know my kids came home with some voucher thing for a free game a while back in their school bags

We got around 6500 for Sheffield Utd and about 9000 v Bolton I think in the fag end of Stam’s management. The Sheff Utd game was the coldest I have ever been at a match. It was about -9c.