Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (a) sponsored double header

by Sutekh » 28 Jan 2020 22:05

When : Friday 31st January 2020, 7.45pm
Where : Cardiff City Stadium, Leckwith Road, Cardiff, CF11 8AZ
Capacity : 33,280
Away Stand : One side of the Grange Stand and the corner with the Ninian Stand
What might I see in the area : Wales

The double header is almost here. Two evening trips to the same place in the land of song in 4 days is not what most of us wanted but it’s what’s next on offer.

Reading’s play off charge has now more or less collapsed after the Bristol disappointment and the problem is very plain, the team is sadly lacking any real threat going forward without Joao and to be honest I’ll be surprised if anyone arrives on loan or otherwise to change things.

Cardiff sit 12th in the division 5 points above Reading. They are currently on a run of 2 wins from their last 9 league games and have also drawn 4 and won 1 of their last 5 home games in all competitions. However the Bluebirds have only lost 1 home game (to Bristol City) since the season started so it won’t be particularly easy to collect 3 points especially with the difficulties Reading are currently having in posing any real offensive threat.

Goals are spread about the Cardiff team with Lee Tomlin on 6 and Joe Ralls and Danny Ward leading the way with 5 in the league so it’ll be a matter of starving their creativity and finding time to make things happen for ourselves if any reward is to be safely gathered in.

Joao, Miazga and Yiadom will not feature for the Royals while Cardiff just have doubts over Joe Ralls and Danny Ward.

Referee

Simon Hooper gets the league game for his first Reading match since the end of 2017

Previously

30 Dec 17 > Barnsley 1-1 Reading
12 Feb 17 > Reading 1-1 Fulham
07 May 17 > Burton Albion 2-4 Reading
09 Aug 16 > Reading 2-0 Plymouth Argyle (League Cup)
05 Mar 16 > Reading 2-2 Fulham
26 Dec 15 > Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-0 Reading
17 Feb 15 > Reading 0-1 Wigan Athletic
16 Aug 14 > Reading 1-0 Ipswich Town
23 Sep 14 > Derby County 2-0 Reading (League Cup)
14 Apr 14 > Reading 1-1 Leicester City
20 Mar 12 > Peterborough United 2-1 Reading
26 Dec 11 > Reading 3-0 Brighton & Hove Albion
01 Jan 11 > Swansea City 1-0 Reading
28 Dec 09 > Plymouth Argyle 4-1 Reading
18 Aug 09 > Swansea City 0-0 Reading

Historically

It’s the 30th trip to Cardiff in the league and as you’d expect Cardiff have the upper hand by 13 wins to 8 with 8 draws.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (a) sponsored double header

by URZZZZ » 29 Jan 2020 00:00

Dilemma for Bowen. We can’t really go one up top with Baldock and Puscas not being able to play the role. We can’t really play 4-4-2 because that would mean Swift either not playing or out wide (have my doubts over his ability in a two) We can’t really play 5-3-2 because we don’t have the wingbacks and I’m not sure about McIntyre yet. I think, at a push I’d opt for 4-2-2-2 (or as NCS likes to claim as his formation :wink: )

Rafael

Gunter
Morrison
Moore
Blackett

Pele
Adam

Swift
Ejaria

Meite
Baldock

Walker McIntyre Rino Aluko Boye/McCleary Olise Puscas

Edit: if this doesn’t work, switch to the usual 4-1-4-1 with Meite and Ejaria out wide

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jan 2020 00:43

URZZZZ Dilemma for Bowen. We can’t really go one up top with Baldock and Puscas not being able to play the role. We can’t really play 4-4-2 because that would mean Swift either not playing or out wide (have my doubts over his ability in a two) We can’t really play 5-3-2 because we don’t have the wingbacks and I’m not sure about McIntyre yet. I think, at a push I’d opt for 4-2-2-2 (or as NCS likes to claim as his formation :wink: )

Rafael

Gunter
Morrison
Moore
Blackett

Pele
Adam

Swift
Ejaria

Meite
Baldock

Edit: if this doesn’t work, switch to the usual 4-1-4-1 with Meite and Ejaria out wide

That’s not a bad shout but there certainly won’t be much width in that side. I don’t understand why we are looking at buying Laurent when we desperately need a winger.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Jan 2020 01:20

Zip
URZZZZ Dilemma for Bowen. We can’t really go one up top with Baldock and Puscas not being able to play the role. We can’t really play 4-4-2 because that would mean Swift either not playing or out wide (have my doubts over his ability in a two) We can’t really play 5-3-2 because we don’t have the wingbacks and I’m not sure about McIntyre yet. I think, at a push I’d opt for 4-2-2-2 (or as NCS likes to claim as his formation :wink: )

Rafael

Gunter
Morrison
Moore
Blackett

Pele
Adam

Swift
Ejaria

Meite
Baldock

That’s not a bad shout but there certainly won’t be much width in that side. I don’t understand why we are looking at buying Laurent when we desperately need a winger.

Width comes from the fullbacks with Ejaria and Swift tucking in. Blackett is limited with Obita ahead of him because Obita doesn’t tuck in and we end up with two people wanting to do the same thing

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2020 07:31

Would actually go much the same as started against Bristol - maybe Adam in for Ejaria and Baldock or Meite for Puscas

Not really the game to be mixing things up too much. Would then go for a 4-4-2 for the next game, assuming we don’t sign anyone of any note

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jan 2020 07:57

Simon Hooper, what a bastard.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 29 Jan 2020 23:43

thanks

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Jan 2020 09:53

Hound Would actually go much the same as started against Bristol - maybe Adam in for Ejaria and Baldock or Meite for Puscas

Not really the game to be mixing things up too much. Would then go for a 4-4-2 for the next game, assuming we don’t sign anyone of any note

I think this is what he'll do. We're away from home so I highly doubt that we'll go two up top. Expect Baldock might come in instead of Puscas and Adam might feature.

Wouldn't be adverse to seeing Aluko feature heavily either.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Jan 2020 12:01

Hound Would actually go much the same as started against Bristol - maybe Adam in for Ejaria and Baldock or Meite for Puscas

I actually wouldn’t be surprised to see him go to a back five to deal with Cardiff’s aerial threat

So Gunter and Obita wing backs, Morrison, Moore and then McIntyre/Blackett CB’s, Pele, Swift and Ejaria in midfield and Puscas and Baldock up top

Of course that still leaves Adam out and means we have the same powderpuff midfield trio

I just don’t think we will see Baldock or Puscas as a lone striker again, it’s arguably failed four times in a row now

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jan 2020 12:16

URZZZZ

I actually wouldn’t be surprised to see him go to a back five to deal with Cardiff’s aerial threat

So Gunter and Obita wing backs, Morrison, Moore and then McIntyre/Blackett CB’s, Pele, Swift and Ejaria in midfield and Puscas and Baldock up top

Of course that still leaves Adam out and means we have the same powderpuff midfield trio

I just don’t think we will see Baldock or Puscas as a lone striker again, it’s arguably failed four times in a row now

Eh? Pele? Powderpuff?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Jan 2020 12:22

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

Eh? Pele? Powderpuff?

I meant Swift and Ejaria

They don’t work in the same position. They did, for a few games at the start because of the unpredictability factor, but now teams have become accustomed to it, it’s not working. Too often, they end up wanting to take up the same space

I feel bad for Rino in a way, he’s badly struggling for game time at the moment and with another coming in, he might even find his place on the bench a threat

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jan 2020 12:25

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

Eh? Pele? Powderpuff?

I meant Swift and Ejaria

They don’t work in the same position. They did, for a few games at the start because of the unpredictability factor, but now teams have become accustomed to it, it’s not working. Too often, they end up wanting to take up the same space

I feel bad for Rino in a way, he’s badly struggling for game time at the moment and with another coming in, he might even find his place on the bench a threat

A bit off topic but who else has been fairly happy with Olise's defensive contributions? He is playing slightly out of position but has done a decent job helping out his full back!

I feel bad for Rinomhota too. He showed last season how good he can be at bringing the ball out from the back but I think his range of passing is keeping him out.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jan 2020 13:48

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Eh? Pele? Powderpuff?

I meant Swift and Ejaria

A bit off topic but who else has been fairly happy with Olise's defensive contributions? He is playing slightly out of position but has done a decent job helping out his full back!

I feel bad for Rinomhota too. He showed last season how good he can be at bringing the ball out from the back but I think his range of passing is keeping him out.

Bowen from his reaction after Forest...

I think Rino has lost confidence a bit, and no real surprise. Noticed a few times against Cardiff, rather than taking the 'driving run' option, he turned back and laid it off.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 30 Jan 2020 14:17

Rafael

Gunter
Morrison
Moore
Blackett

Pele
Adam

Swift
Ejaria

Meite
Baldock

If Blackett won’t sign a contract,because he is off to Turkey; times up at Reading.Down to Obita and Richards now.
Wonder how much the respective offers are ?Presumably £10k at Reading,but cannot really see the Turks offering much more ?He is better off at Reading from a life style point of view,but there you go,his Agent probably smells a big pay day.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2020 16:26

Westwood52

Rafael

Gunter
Morrison
Moore
Blackett

Pele
Adam

Swift
Ejaria

Meite
Baldock

If Blackett won’t sign a contract,because he is off to Turkey; times up at Reading.Down to Obita and Richards now.
Wonder how much the respective offers are ?Presumably £10k at Reading,but cannot really see the Turks offering much more ?He is better off at Reading from a life style point of view,but there you go,his Agent probably smells a big pay day.

There is so much utter bollocks in that post it's hard to know where to begin.

You play your best players no matter what.

You have no idea how much he will be offered elsewhere

You have no idea what we offered

Obita is also going to be out of contract so why does he get to play?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Jan 2020 16:48

Old Man Andrews
Westwood52

Rafael

Gunter
Morrison
Moore
Blackett

Pele
Adam

Swift
Ejaria

Meite
Baldock

Delightful as ever

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2020 17:00

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
Westwood52

Delightful as ever

Why are you piping up? You agree with him do you? He is on here frequently talking rubbish, he shouldn't not be called out on it same way I or you are.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jan 2020 17:29

Having reflected, I'm torn on sticking or twisting with the shape. I'd definitely mix the XI ups bit though. Probably go with one of:

Cabral
Gunter, Morrison, Moore, Blackett
Adam, Pele, Swift
Olise, Meite, Baldock
Sticking with the same sort of shape as we currently have, though that would be a bit harsh on Ejaria and Obita

Or switch it up with

Cabral
Meite, Rinomhota, Swift, Obita
Baldock, Puscas

Harsh on Pele, Olise, Adam and Ejaria and a bit generous to Rino and Puscas.

I genuinely think Rino is the better balanced player for a two man midfielder than Pele though. He breaks forward better whilst still doing well defensively.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Jan 2020 23:28

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews There is so much utter bollocks in that post it's hard to know where to begin.

Delightful as ever

Why are you piping up? You agree with him do you? He is on here frequently talking rubbish, he shouldn't not be called out on it same way I or you are.

I don’t agree with him but everyone’s opinion is valid one way or another, doesn’t give you the authority to undermine what he’s saying

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Jan 2020 23:30

Snowflake Royal Having reflected, I'm torn on sticking or twisting with the shape. I'd definitely mix the XI ups bit though. Probably go with one of:

Cabral
Adam, Pele, Swift
Olise, Meite, Baldock
Sticking with the same sort of shape as we currently have, though that would be a bit harsh on Ejaria and Obita

Or switch it up with

Cabral
Meite, Rinomhota, Swift, Obita
Baldock, Puscas

Harsh on Pele, Olise, Adam and Ejaria and a bit generous to Rino and Puscas.

I genuinely think Rino is the better balanced player for a two man midfielder than Pele though. He breaks forward better whilst still doing well defensively.

In a 4-4-2 I personally think the only combo that could work is Pele and Rino. I have strong doubts over starting Swift or Adam in a 4-4-2 as one of the central midfielders

Obviously it isn’t the most creative duo in the world, but neither were Legs and Karacan tbf

146 posts