CONFIMRED - Ayub Timbe.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ayub Timbe.

by Muskrat » 02 Feb 2020 09:26

Bristol Paul Thought his finishing looked quite good here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAgCAYXGpLw

Observations :

The pitches in China look shit so he should be able to play on ours.
Don't they use the offside rule in China?
The new Mass Sarr.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Feb 2020 09:31

One hell of a back flip on him

He looks pretty good on there tbf - obviously got talent - it’s how well he adapts to the conditions, closer marking etc

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Feb 2020 10:05

He's played at a decent level in Belgium and he's been training with us for a couple of weeks and Bowen has had a decent chance to assess him so I don't think this is as wild a punt as it looks on paper.

Seen some quotes from the president of the Kenyan FA saying he's hard working and has an excellent attitude which is all promising.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2020 10:40

If I was Bowen, given his determination to do the nasty things, I'd have welcomed the guy, given him a day or so of training to settle during a trial and then stuck him in a practice match situation and told Pele, Blackett and Morrison to rough him up a bit and see how he copes.

If he dealt with it brilliant, if not maybe he isn't the player we need. So I'm going to assume Bowen did that and he coped fine with some tight marking and shithousery.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 02 Feb 2020 11:32

WestYorksRoyal
KentRoyal Possible chant
He's a Kenyan
We loaned him from Beijing renhe
We think that he's oxf*rd brilliant
Ayub Timbe

To the tune of she's electric

That literally makes no oxf*rd sense. None of the lines match up with the track you're proposing. How is "Ayub Timbe" matched with "And I need more time"?

How about:

Ayub Timbe, Woah
We love him, he's amazing.
Aluko is shit, we hate him.
John Madesjskis magic
Come on Reading.

To the tune of Barry Whites - Eye of the tiger?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Feb 2020 11:50

And it’s just a loan for what is, effectively, 3 months

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 02 Feb 2020 12:33

Sutekh And it’s just a loan for what is, effectively, 3 months

What so he doesn't deserve a chant?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 02 Feb 2020 19:42

Best chant we came up with in ages was Pia Pia Piazon, which we have since adapted for other players.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Feb 2020 21:20

I reckon it will be more like "try before you buy".

It will push any purchase over to the next financial year, possibly with a view to offloading Barrow.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Feb 2020 22:27

Snowflake Royal Few thoughts based on that.
1 cracking strike around 50 seconds in.
2 lots of tap ins
3 got a header
4 he got a lot of time, space and not much physical stuff, so he'll need to adapt in the Chump
5 tidy and calm finishing mostly
6 how the oxf*rd did Aluku not piss all over that league. He really is shit.

And there was me thinking you rated him

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Feb 2020 08:19

is timbe masika?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Feb 2020 09:30

2 world wars, 1 world cup is timbe masika?

Yes

Ayub Timbe Masika (Kenyan English): ...is a Kenyan professional footballer who currently plays as a forward for Reading in the EFL Championship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayub_Masika

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Feb 2020 09:35

muirinho

Yes

Ayub Timbe Masika (Kenyan English): ...is a Kenyan professional footballer who currently plays as a forward for Reading in the EFL Championship

You'd have thought a Kenyan site would know what name to use as surname FFS. First name, surname. It's not hard, but some people don't seem to get it.

I spent ages trying to track down an Indian mate in his new job, only to see he'd decided to register first name and surname the other way round for that company, for no obvious reason (or maybe in our company he had it the wrong way round?). Seemed completely normal to him, like the two are interchangeable as and when needed.

Then there's nicknames. Gomes/Pele

What's the point of names then? Rant over.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Feb 2020 10:04

2 world wars, 1 world cup
muirinho

Yes

You'd have thought a Kenyan site would know what name to use as surname FFS. First name, surname. It's not hard, but some people don't seem to get it.

I spent ages trying to track down an Indian mate in his new job, only to see he'd decided to register first name and surname the other way round for that company, for no obvious reason (or maybe in our company he had it the wrong way round?). Seemed completely normal to him, like the two are interchangeable as and when needed.

Judging by all the comments from our new swathe of Kenyan fans, Ayub Timbe is how he is known. The last name is not necessarily the "surname", it may be his father's name. This can be a way of distinguishing a number of people who have the same family name. (Or indeed, Masika may be his surname, but he is known by his forename, and his mother/father's name - i.e., a matronymic or patronymic system). Like they have in Russia.

With, say, Chinese names. Traditionally, they write the surname first, followed by the forenames. So when you are looking at a Chinese name, you're not going to immediately know if they have swapped their name around, to fit Anglosphere conventions, or not. If in doubt, ask. Or see how they sign off emails.

My father in law is not known by his surname, as it is too common where he lives. He'd be called something like John Mary Joe (John son of Mary, daughter of Joe)
My mother in law is never called her official surname, either her birth name or her married name, except in official documents - she's referred to by her father's family nickname - each "branch" of that surname in the area had its own nickname.

Just because a naming convention doesn't fit your narrow worldview, doesn't mean it's not valid.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Feb 2020 10:08

muirinho
2 world wars, 1 world cup
muirinho
Yes

Judging by all the comments from our new swathe of Kenyan fans, Ayub Timbe is how he is known. The last name is not necessarily the "surname", it may be his father's name. This can be a way of distinguishing a number of people who have the same family name. (Or indeed, Masika may be his surname, but he is known by his forename, and his mother/father's name - i.e., a matronymic or patronymic system). Like they have in Russia.

With, say, Chinese names. Traditionally, they write the surname first, followed by the forenames. So when you are looking at a Chinese name, you're not going to immediately know if they have swapped their name around, to fit Anglosphere conventions, or not. If in doubt, ask. Or see how they sign off emails.

My father in law is not known by his surname, as it is too common where he lives. He'd be called something like John Mary Joe (John son of Mary, daughter of Joe)
My mother in law is never called her official surname, either her birth name or her married name, except in official documents - she's referred to by her father's family nickname - each "branch" of that surname in the area had its own nickname.

Just because a naming convention doesn't fit your narrow worldview, doesn't mean it's not valid.

Yes it does. I don't know why they couldn't be arsed to have proper names like us. Proper English names so we can understand them. And why they have to speak a different language baffles me too. It's not like English is difficult. Even toddlers manage it FFS.

And don't even get me started on them inventing batshit crazy cultures too just to be different.

EDIT: before my dry 'humour' gets me banned for being a thick racist. Yeah of course you're right. Of interest, my post was initially going to be a complaint about how the media seem not to be able to get their heads around foreign names, and this may be another example if his surname is actually Timbe and I'm reading confusing reports of a Masika, thinking we've signed someone else.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Feb 2020 10:29

2 world wars, 1 world cup Yes it does. I don't know why they couldn't be arsed to have proper names like us. Proper English names so we can understand them. And why they have to speak a different language baffles me too. It's not like English is difficult. Even toddlers manage it FFS.

And don't even get me started on them inventing batshit crazy cultures too just to be different.

:lol:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - Ayub Timbe.

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Feb 2020 10:59

Pretty entertaining read :)

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/20 ... jing-renhe

Guidetti, whom I simply call John, got fouled and let out as though to cry but my stern look at him would not permit for that. Seconds later he put through a rocketing pass that found Ayubu’s chest on the ready. In typical Hollywood demeanour the next thing that we who witnessed it saw, was an acrobatic kick of a volley and the ball flew passed a hapless keeper. I instantly went bonkers for joy. Mouths were agape all over the stadium no one could believe it, no one.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Feb 2020 11:07

Don't get started on Icelandic names either when Gudjon Thordarson signed his own son Bjarni Gudjonson for Stoke along with half of Reykjavik.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 03 Feb 2020 12:08

We've got Ayub Masika, the thrill on the right
Risin' up to the challenge of our rivals
And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night
And he's watchin' us all with ... (sotto voce) Ayub Masika

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Feb 2020 12:18

Pepe the Horseman Pretty entertaining read :)

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/20 ... jing-renhe

Guidetti, whom I simply call John, got fouled and let out as though to cry but my stern look at him would not permit for that. Seconds later he put through a rocketing pass that found Ayubu’s chest on the ready. In typical Hollywood demeanour the next thing that we who witnessed it saw, was an acrobatic kick of a volley and the ball flew passed a hapless keeper. I instantly went bonkers for joy. Mouths were agape all over the stadium no one could believe it, no one.

This is fast turning into one of my favourite signings, even if he turns out to be rubbish.