Bigtimmeh .

Best point ever made on the team board.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (a) sponsored double header part 2

by windermereROYAL » 05 Feb 2020 22:51

Royals and Racers
windermereROYAL
Westwood52 Just seen the highlights,looked like some “under fire” players, played really well.

Bowen has a nice selection problem for Saturday.

When Dim mentioned 9.30 pm being the last train out of Cardiff to Reading.I checked the train timetables.The next train after the game finished,went via Bristol.Change train there for Reading,and expect a journey of over five hours !

Did anybody take up Dim and Mick’s offer of a lift in their cars ?

How long did people take to get home,having stayed to the end ?

Hats off to any supporter who did.

From memory (park and ride for a rugby game),it’s a ten minute bus journey to Cardiff station or a thirty minute walk.

The rugby stadium is just around the corner from the station. i was there last year.

And next door to the Principality Stadium(Millennium stadium)

Thats Cardiff arms park, i don`t think they play there anymore, but yes you are correct right next door the the Millenium.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 05 Feb 2020 23:13

windermereROYAL
Royals and Racers
windermereROYAL
The rugby stadium is just around the corner from the station. i was there last year.

And next door to the Principality Stadium(Millennium stadium)

Thats Cardiff arms park, i don`t think they play there anymore, but yes you are correct right next door the the Millenium.

Cardiff blues play there https://www.cardiffblues.com/fixtures

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Feb 2020 09:37

Westwood52 Just seen the highlights,looked like some “under fire” players, played really well.

When Dim mentioned 9.30 pm being the last train out of Cardiff to Reading.I checked the train timetables.The next train after the game finished,went via Bristol.Change train there for Reading,and expect a journey of over five hours !

Reminds me of the time when John Madejski, Uri(ne) Geller and The Welsh Windbag did their walk to Wembley. I went along to Slough in my Reading Shirt to support them along the route. The BBC Radio Berkshire Sports reporter at the time (can't remember his name, he was a Reading fan but I don't think it would've been Dellor because he would have still been at university) spotted me walking along the road and stopped to pick me up and give me a lift to the next checkpoint. He was a nice guy and we had a good chat about the club and team.

Geller gave us a demo of his spoon bending, taking a spoon from one of the army guys who was in the support team. However he does it, I have to say it was pretty impressive close up.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Feb 2020 09:38

Why are we giving people "comedy" names? Is this a Team Board thing?

Tim Dellor.

Uri Geller.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 06 Feb 2020 09:58

RoyalBlue

Reminds me of the time when John Madejski, Uri(ne) Geller and The Welsh Windbag did their walk to Wembley. I went along to Slough in my Reading Shirt to support them along the route. The BBC Radio Berkshire Sports reporter at the time (can't remember his name, he was a Reading fan but I don't think it would've been Dellor because he would have still been at university) spotted me walking along the road and stopped to pick me up and give me a lift to the next checkpoint. He was a nice guy and we had a good chat about the club and team.

Geller gave us a demo of his spoon bending, taking a spoon from one of the army guys who was in the support team. However he does it, I have to say it was pretty impressive close up.

Joel Hufford ?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Feb 2020 13:55

Royals and Racers
RoyalBlue

Joel Hufford ?

Steve Beddow. Games were on 210/classic gold I think until about then

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Feb 2020 14:22

Hendo
URZZZZ
Royals and Racers Can`t see our game being live on TV- i reckon the 3 matches will be from these 4 ties
Sheff Wed v Man City
Chelsea v Liverpool
Derby v Man Utd
Portsmouth v Arsenal

Reckon they’ll do the bottom three out of that lot

Agreed.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 06 Feb 2020 15:30

Sutekh
Royals and Racers
RoyalBlue

Joel Hufford ?

What happened to him ?I know he use to do the golf commentary on Sky.But I have not heard him for a while.I see the golf course he designed at Burghfield has now been left to rot.Shame really ,nine holes for £7 ,bargain.Sometimes you didn’t have to pay,if the Oriental lady wasn’t sitting at the 6th (?) green.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 06 Feb 2020 17:30

Westwood52
Sutekh
Royals and Racers Joel Hufford ?

What happened to him ?I know he use to do the golf commentary on Sky.But I have not heard him for a while.I see the golf course he designed at Burghfield has now been left to rot.Shame really ,nine holes for £7 ,bargain.Sometimes you didn’t have to pay,if the Oriental lady wasn’t sitting at the 6th (?) green.

I haven`t seen Steve for a while at the Madejski stadium- hope he`s ok. He had a home on Calcot golf club. Steve used to bring his mate Richard Boxall along to a few matches.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Feb 2020 17:40

Royals and Racers
RoyalBlue

Joel Hufford ?

He was fantastic, but I get the impression if Gellar was involved it's also way before him.

Sounds more like the Mike Lewis of - christ - I can't even remember the station - classic gold? - days.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 06 Feb 2020 18:10

Westwood52
Sutekh

If I remember right. When Tim is not available for the BBCRB commentary, a chap named Steve has stepped in. Would he be Steve Beddow?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Feb 2020 21:25

The Royal Forester
Westwood52
Sutekh

If I remember right. When Tim is not available for the BBCRB commentary, a chap named Steve has stepped in. Would he be Steve Beddow?

It’s usually Jonny Saunders who steps in to commentate when Tim isn’t available.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 07 Feb 2020 11:20

Snowflake Royal
Royals and Racers
RoyalBlue

Joel Hufford ?

He was fantastic, but I get the impression if Gellar was involved it's also way before him.

Sounds more like the Mike Lewis of - christ - I can't even remember the station - classic gold? - days.

It wasn't Steve Beddow (younger and not large enough). Wasn't Mike Lewis (The Welsh Windbag) as although he did have a broadcast slot, he was on the walk itself.

Don't think it was Joel Hufford - in fact just checked and I don't think he joined BBCRB until 1998. Possibly John Southall who preceded him (just spotted his Twitter profile picture is him in the commentary position at the Mad Stad so he clearly has fond memories of his time covering the club).

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 07 Feb 2020 13:40

Sutekh
The Royal Forester
Westwood52

It’s usually Jonny Saunders who steps in to commentate when Tim isn’t available.[/quote

Now you mention that name, I know you are right. Can't think why I thought it some bloke called Steve.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 07 Feb 2020 13:50

The Royal Forester
Sutekh
The Royal Forester If I remember right. When Tim is not available for the BBCRB commentary, a chap named Steve has stepped in. Would he be Steve Beddow?

It’s usually Jonny Saunders who steps in to commentate when Tim isn’t available.[/quote

Now you mention that name, I know you are right. Can't think why I thought it some bloke called Steve.

You've clearly got some thoughts of EIL going on :shock:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Feb 2020 13:53

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal

It wasn't Steve Beddow (younger and not large enough). Wasn't Mike Lewis (The Welsh Windbag) as although he did have a broadcast slot, he was on the walk itself.

Don't think it was Joel Hufford - in fact just checked and I don't think he joined BBCRB until 1998. Possibly John Southall who preceded him (just spotted his Twitter profile picture is him in the commentary position at the Mad Stad so he clearly has fond memories of his time covering the club).

As I recall Reading were originally covered by Maurice O’Brien on the radio back in the mid-late 80s when Reading area local radio started realising football was played around here. Nothing particularly intensive just match updates and a bit of news in sports round ups at the time.

Steve Beddow I think took the reins next and when BBC Berks finally got set up and their act together they took on the coverage and, as mentioned, John Southall was the chap tasked with what Tim does now

Then I think the BBC got an economic buzz about them and merged Berks with BBC Oxfordshire for a few years in the mid-late 90s. As a result Joel came on board and John got shunted to cover Oxford. As an aside I believe the station also briefly covered Wycombe Wanderers at this time.

Finally the BBC split up Thames Valley radio (although the sports output did actually split properly on Saturdays) and we all got our proper local service back with Joel Hufford remaining until around 2006 when Tim started taking up the reins.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 08 Feb 2020 00:08

Royals and Racers
Westwood52
Sutekh

I haven`t seen Steve for a while at the Madejski stadium- hope he`s ok. He had a home on Calcot golf club. Steve used to bring his mate Richard Boxall along to a few matches.

I know Steve retired from golf commentary a few years back. He often mentioned Reading in His golf commentaries. A really nice fella often acted as a PA at fund raising events to do with the club.
And was on the walk to Wembley with Sir John and URI Geller in 95.

378 posts