Hob Nob Regular

No BFTG Leeds (A)?

by Jagermesiter1871 » 22 Feb 2020 23:34

I'm not making one you lazy bastards.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: No BFTG Leeds (A)?

by Jagermesiter1871 » 23 Feb 2020 00:00

Good day out. 0:0 would have been a fairer result. Baldock should have come on. Adam should have come on earlier. Olise looked class in bits.
Chants of the day - "Wheres your famous atmosphere?" "Jimmy Saville - he's one of your own". Home fans very quiet until the goal.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 23 Feb 2020 00:25

Also Moore playing as striker instead of bringing Baldock on seemed an odd shout.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Feb 2020 00:37

Thought we started the first 30/40 quite well. Deep runs from Pele, Rino, Swift and Olise was successful and all that was lacking was that end product

Until Phillips got injured, then Leeds did a re jig and put White as CDM which is a completely different proposition. We failed to adapt, and their goal was unfortunately inevitable

However, what I found disappointing was the response to their goal. There was no urgency, no pressure and other than the last few minutes, no real chance of the equaliser. Away from all the Leeds chat that’s been going on for ages, they are a good side but we showed them too much respect. Let’s not forget, they did lose to Wigan a couple of games ago

On the goal itself, obviously there was an element of fortune to it but a bit of ball watching from Pele there, letting Hernandez run off him. I like Pele but as soon as we get knocked out the cup, unless there's a chance of him staying, I'd look to reduce his playing time. Would prefer to see what Araruna and Olise have on a game to game basis

Bowen’s subs continues to be a problem. One sub in the 75th minute when we weren’t playing particularly well didn’t make much sense to me. Baldock has a right to feel slightly aggrieved and as ever, I do worry about our plan B (or our lack of). Today would have been the perfect game to use a winger against Alioski at LB who can sometimes struggle there, but he had an easy ride throughout. McCleary seems to have vanished off the face of the earth recently. I do hope a plan B is worked in the upcoming games because the plan A of rely on Swift is too inconsistent

Individual players, most did OK, Olise (did tire though) and Rino the main ones that shone with Richards maturity growing. Thought Meite and Puscas didn’t get in the game enough but more of a case of tactics rather than their ability

Thought the ref did quite well and set an early marker with the booking for Ayling. As discussed already, Moore was probably too honest in the last minute and perhaps should have gone over and added to the unusual stat of four consecutive 90th minute penalties at Elland Road between the two teams

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 23 Feb 2020 02:09

URZZZZ Thought we started the first 30/40 quite well. Deep runs from Pele, Rino, Swift and Olise was successful and all that was lacking was that end product

Until Phillips got injured, then Leeds did a re jig and put White as CDM which is a completely different proposition. We failed to adapt, and their goal was unfortunately inevitable

However, what I found disappointing was the response to their goal. There was no urgency, no pressure and other than the last few minutes, no real chance of the equaliser. Away from all the Leeds chat that’s been going on for ages, they are a good side but we showed them too much respect. Let’s not forget, they did lose to Wigan a couple of games ago

On the goal itself, obviously there was an element of fortune to it but a bit of ball watching from Pele there, letting Hernandez run off him. I like Pele but as soon as we get knocked out the cup, unless there's a chance of him staying, I'd look to reduce his playing time. Would prefer to see what Araruna and Olise have on a game to game basis

Bowen’s subs continues to be a problem. One sub in the 75th minute when we weren’t playing particularly well didn’t make much sense to me. Baldock has a right to feel slightly aggrieved and as ever, I do worry about our plan B (or our lack of). Today would have been the perfect game to use a winger against Alioski at LB who can sometimes struggle there, but he had an easy ride throughout. McCleary seems to have vanished off the face of the earth recently. I do hope a plan B is worked in the upcoming games because the plan A of rely on Swift is too inconsistent

Individual players, most did OK, Olise (did tire though) and Rino the main ones that shone with Richards maturity growing. Thought Meite and Puscas didn’t get in the game enough but more of a case of tactics rather than their ability

Thought the ref did quite well and set an early marker with the booking for Ayling. As discussed already, Moore was probably too honest in the last minute and perhaps should have gone over and added to the unusual stat of four consecutive 90th minute penalties at Elland Road between the two teams

Great summary. I was also miffed that Bowen tried Liam Moore as a makeshift striker at the end. I like Bowen but whenever we go a goal down it feels like we are destined to lose because we create few chances.

We created virtually zero in that game, next to nothing at Barnsley except our equaliser, at Stoke, Millwall, Cardiff or Nottingham Forest. We haven't lost many of those games as we are hard to beat. But a switch in tactics in a game could have won us a few extra points. Leeds, Forest and Millwall are fairly decent sides but are no world beaters.

Might be a controversial opinion but I'd consider getting a new manager in the summer if Bowen shows a lack of ideas to build a team for next season. Can't help but worry that teams will work out how to break us down and we'll be back to square one again like with Gomes. Best to change in the summer before signings are made.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Feb 2020 06:41

Jagermesiter1871 Also Moore playing as striker instead of bringing Baldock on seemed an odd shout.

Agreed. Be interesting to know MB’s reasoning behind that but then bringing Adam on for Swift was also a bit strange when you’re looking to create a goal.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Feb 2020 09:45

Sutekh
Jagermesiter1871 Also Moore playing as striker instead of bringing Baldock on seemed an odd shout.

Agreed. Be interesting to know MB’s reasoning behind that but then bringing Adam on for Swift was also a bit strange when you’re looking to create a goal.

Think the Adam move is for his ability to ping a 40 yard diagonal with precision and experience.

Not necessarily the right move, but not one I find difficult to understand the logic on.

Assuming Moore upfront over Baldock is also about going more direct. Sam isn't going to win much in the air or hold up the ball under pressure from big CBs. Again, not saying the right choice, but I can see some logic.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 23 Feb 2020 10:52

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh

Think the Adam move is for his ability to ping a 40 yard diagonal with precision and experience.

Not necessarily the right move, but not one I find difficult to understand the logic on.

Assuming Moore upfront over Baldock is also about going more direct. Sam isn't going to win much in the air or hold up the ball under pressure from big CBs. Again, not saying the right choice, but I can see some logic.

That was my thinking regarding playing Moore up top as we don't have any sort of physical presence on the bench. Didn't really work as you know Moore isn't really a striker. Also think having Sam on chasing down and harrying defferenders would have been much more effective.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Feb 2020 11:12

Wouldn't disagree.

Big job for the summer to pick a plan a and b, then bring in the right players to make it happen.

For years there's been too much change and too little coherency to who we bring in so we end up with 3/4s of an XI for one system, 3/4s of an XI for another and the key pieces for both missing.

See not really knowing where to play Meite, Ejaria, Swift etc. Not knowing whether to play 2 or 3 CBs, 2 or 3 CMs, 1 or 2 strikers, wingers or inside forwards or wing backs.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Feb 2020 11:54

Thought we looked fine. Didnt have any problems with our play. Second half they came out and played with much more intensity and we struggled a bit to impose our game on them. Cant pinpoint any big issues really. Genuinely cant fault a single performance.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 23 Feb 2020 12:10

Must say I thought Leeds looked very average. Feel like in last years Championship they would have been a fringe play off team as opposed to 2nd. Didn't look particularly threatening at any point and their forwards were about as ineffective as ours. Contrast that to the team that tour us apart at the Madesjki last season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Feb 2020 12:12

NewCorkSeth Thought we looked fine. Didnt have any problems with our play. Second half they came out and played with much more intensity and we struggled a bit to impose our game on them. Cant pinpoint any big issues really. Genuinely cant fault a single performance.

This really. We tried to take the game to them but our decision making in releasing the pass or making runs wasn't good enough. They scored following a good finish after a bit of luck and that was that. No-one could have been surprised with a nil-nil.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Feb 2020 12:24

Royal_jimmy
URZZZZ Thought we started the first 30/40 quite well. Deep runs from Pele, Rino, Swift and Olise was successful and all that was lacking was that end product

Great summary. I was also miffed that Bowen tried Liam Moore as a makeshift striker at the end. I like Bowen but whenever we go a goal down it feels like we are destined to lose because we create few chances.

We created virtually zero in that game, next to nothing at Barnsley except our equaliser, at Stoke, Millwall, Cardiff or Nottingham Forest. We haven't lost many of those games as we are hard to beat. But a switch in tactics in a game could have won us a few extra points. Leeds, Forest and Millwall are fairly decent sides but are no world beaters.

Might be a controversial opinion but I'd consider getting a new manager in the summer if Bowen shows a lack of ideas to build a team for next season. Can't help but worry that teams will work out how to break us down and we'll be back to square one again like with Gomes. Best to change in the summer before signings are made.

We'd have to have an awful run now for them to even consider getting a new manager in. In other words, it won't happen

I haven't particularly warmed to him yet, I think he's got a naturally defensive and negative mindset but he deserves a real good crack at it next season

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Feb 2020 13:26

Jagermesiter1871 Must say I thought Leeds looked very average. Feel like in last years Championship they would have been a fringe play off team as opposed to 2nd. Didn't look particularly threatening at any point and their forwards were about as ineffective as ours. Contrast that to the team that tour us apart at the Madesjki last season.

They looked wary. Didnt play like a team who thought they would demolish us but played professionally. Think they were right to be wary too. A lot of our counter attacks looked threatening. I certainly didnt think they looked like they were playing "the best football in the league". Just a solid, professional team.

However, Bamford did miss 2 nice opportunities in the first half. I get why they play him, his work rate allows others to get into the game, but if they had a proper striker, and tailored the play around him, they would be in first.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Feb 2020 14:11

Rafael - Smart save at the end of the first half. Other than that, nothing to do. 6

Yiadom - Started off slowly but grew into the game. Not quite the attacking threat that he can be. 6

Morrison- Tested by their movement but stood up to it well. Positioning good. 7

Moore - His usual display. Great block to stop Costa. So unlucky for the goal. Should have gone down to win a penalty at the end. 7

Richards - Struggled against Costa but did quite well on the ball. A couple of good last option tackles. 6

Pele - Broke up play well and a few very good driving runs forward. A must signing in the summer imo. 7 MotM

Swift - Played in the deep lying role. Hindered by the early yellow. Solid if unspectacular. 6

Olise - Brilliant in the first 30 minutes, some wonderful skill including the Zidane pirouette. Faded after that and missed a glorious opportunity to put Meite through on goal. Unfortunate to touch the ball over Richards and put through for the goal. 6

Rinomhota - Played further forward which didn't really suit him. Slipped up at a crucial point in the second half when well placed to set up an opportunity on goal. 6

Meite - Out of sorts could have put Puscas through on goal in the first half but played a lazy pass straight into the defender. May have scored if Olise had seen the aforementioned pass. 4

Puscas - One shot in the first half that drew a camera save from Casilla. Nothing much other than that apart from late in the second half where the ball got under his feet before he could shoot. Doesn't offer enough energy off the ball. 4

Adam - Tried his best to get us forward and creating something but it didn't really come off. Gave away a couple of silly free kicks but can't fault the effort. 5
Last edited by sandman on 23 Feb 2020 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 23 Feb 2020 14:54

URZZZZ
Royal_jimmy

We'd have to have an awful run now for them to even consider getting a new manager in. In other words, it won't happen

I haven't particularly warmed to him yet, I think he's got a naturally defensive and negative mindset but he deserves a real good crack at it next season

I think that is probably how must of us feel.
So far he has made us harder to beat but come next season he really needs to develop the attacking side of our game so that we make more chances as we create far too little.
At the moment we are sort of the Newcastle or Palace of the Championship.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 23 Feb 2020 15:59

I thought that we had a lot of fight in the first 30 mins. Defence and midfield were battling hard for every ball and were able to regularly supply the front men. However, their inability to convert possession into decent chances took its toll on team moral. Why bother if it doesn't look like you are ever going to score? As soon as Leeds went one up, the heads went down and we were then just waiting for the final whistle.

It's the sort of performance I expect from us at the moment though, and there were hopeful signs. I reckon that this is a team that can continue to improve and be competitive next season if one our strikers can find some form.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Feb 2020 21:52

South Coast Royal
URZZZZ
Royal_jimmy

I think that is probably how must of us feel.
So far he has made us harder to beat but come next season he really needs to develop the attacking side of our game so that we make more chances as we create far too little.
At the moment we are sort of the Newcastle or Palace of the Championship.

Like the analogy.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Feb 2020 07:33

My talking points

1) 7/10 ratings: Morrison, Moore, Gomes - all very solid performances

2) 8/10 ratings: Richards, Ejaria (with his new hairstyle and different face, and age)

3) 5/10 rating: Puscas - very poor. He did some good holding stuff but I was surprised by the number of times with the ball in a dangerous position he would always somehow manage to completely fluff it. This isn't the Puscas I thought we had. After the Cardiff game and a small handful of others I thought he was the guy who with the slightest sniff of a chance would barge past players, head straight toward goal like Forster used to and create something. At Leeds he was the player who with the slightest sniff of a chance would just dick around with it, pause, get confused, do f**k all. People say he's a condifence player, like most people are, but with him it seems to be that his confidence memory is no more than 20minutes. i..e if he hasn't done something good in the last 20mins (score a penalty, goal) he loses it. We can't be relying on a player like that much longer. Where was Baldock?

4) The litter: I know it was windy etc but what mongtards they are at Leeds if they didn't clear everything up at half time, announce peoeple to hold onto their loose packets/ put them into pockets etc. and I'm not sure why the Leeds fans didn't think to do that anyway. It looked like a rubbish dump (on iFooty anyway)

5) Ref - generally fine

6) Overall - fair result, best team won, our boys generally put in a good show.
Last edited by Millsy on 24 Feb 2020 08:09, edited 2 times in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Feb 2020 08:03

Most dangerous striker we had all game.