285 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Wigan Athletic (h) sponsored by Nicky Forster

by Sutekh » 22 Feb 2020 18:10

When : Wednesday 26th February 2020, 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Almost a year since their last visit Wigan return to the Madejski. That game was very close to being a disaster for Reading with only very late goals saving the day so let’s hope Reading can accomplish a successful outcome a little more comfortably this time round.

Wigan arrive on the back of only 1 defeat in their last 6 games which has seen 3 wins including a 1-0 at Leeds so this is not going to be easy in the slightest. They do concede goals though with 6 going in their net in the last 4 games but equally that does mean they carry fight and attacking threat so must not be underestimated.

Chey Dunkley is the leading goalscorer with 6 and Chey is a defender which, to me, points to Wigan being decent at set pieces. Kieffer Moore is next with 5 goals and there’s few 2s and 1s scattered around the rest of their squad plus Josh Windass on 4.

Kieran Dowell will miss the game for Wigan through injury while Reading now have Ovie Ejaria rated doubtful for the game on top of the current list of casualties.

This, and the visit from Barnsley on the Saturday following, is going to be a key game. Failure to win either of these two will more than likely put this board into meltdown while winning both would more or less end the league season from Reading’s perspective and enable MB to go into to full experimentation mode. As we know though Reading just don’t make things easy for themselves but let’s just hope they can get it right this time.

Referee

It’s Geoff Eltringham who still hasn’t managed to referee a Reading home win though, surprisingly, he’s only taken charge of 2 games at the Mad Stad.

Previously

01 Jan 20 > Fulham 1-2 Reading
02 Mar 19 > Ipswich Town 1-2 Reading
02 Feb 19 > Reading 0-0 Aston Villa
29 Sep 18 > Brentford 2-2 Reading
03 Feb 18 > Reading 0-2 Millwall
22 Apr 17 > Nottingham Forest 3-2 Reading
17 Mar 17 > Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 Reading
04 Feb 17 > Ipswich Town 2-2 Reading
13 Dec 16 > Leeds United 2-0 Reading
02 Apr 16 > Bolton Wanderers 0-1 Reading
12 Dec 15 > Preston North End 1-0 Reading
07 Apr 15 > Blackpool 1-1 Reading
23 Nov 13 > Blackburn Rovers 0-0 Reading
14 Feb 12 > Derby County 0-1 Reading

Historically

Wigan are one of the very few clubs that Reading have played in all four divisions. There have been twenty two previous visits from the Latics for league points and more often than not the outcome is decisive as there’s only been two draws (both 1-1) in that time.

Of the remaining twenty games Reading have won thirteen to Wigan’s seven but Wigan have won 3 of the last 5 games played.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. Red button
  6. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Wigan Athletic (h) sponsored by Nicky Forster

by URZZZZ » 22 Feb 2020 21:34

Rafael

Yiadom
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Rino
Swift

Meite
Olise
Masika

Puscas

Walker Blackett Obita Adam Pele McCleary Baldock

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 22 Feb 2020 23:26

Look ,we are not going to go down;but if we lose to Wigan ,that’s them five points behind us.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Feb 2020 23:42

Westwood52 Look ,we are not going to go down;but if we lose to Wigan ,that’s them five points behind us.

And if we beat them we are 11 points in front or if we draw still 8 points, lots of teams between us and the bottom 3 have to play each other before the end of the season, 3 more wins or 50 points will do us.
Can`t believe all the panicking today.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Feb 2020 08:21

Westwood52 Look ,we are not going to go down;but if we lose to Wigan ,that’s them five points behind us.

We also would need Boro, Stoke, Charlton, Huddersfield & Hull to go past us too. Losing would not be great but we have all of the bottom 7 to play, 5 at home. If we are anywhere near relegation after that run then we deserve it.

Boro and Huddersfield are the ones who should be worried at the mo.

Boro in particular have not won since New Year's Day and in their last 3 games managed just 1 point from games against the bottom 3. They have Leeds & Forest next.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Feb 2020 08:39

windermereROYAL

And if we beat them we are 11 points in front or if we draw still 8 points, lots of teams between us and the bottom 3 have to play each other before the end of the season, 3 more wins or 50 points will do us.
Can`t believe all the panicking today.

You must be new here.

What’s the head-to-head since we got our respective Madejski/Whelan cash injections? I feel like they shade it.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Feb 2020 08:59

Shit, I didn’t realise how in trouble Boro and Huddersfield were. Would enjoy a wry smile if the latter went down...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Feb 2020 09:37

Wigan could be a tough nut to crack. Our form is not great and whilst theirs isn't exactly stonking, they've only lost once in the last six and in their last 2 away picked up a good win against Leeds and a draw against Cardiff.

We need to be on our game and our home record isn't great. Plus Wigan seem to regularly survive thanks to points from us, often at our expense, though we're pretty safe this time round.

I think we'll have enough but it could be tight and scrappy.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Feb 2020 14:14

URZZZZ Rafael

Yiadom
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Rino
Swift

Meite
Olise
Masika

Puscas

:roll: Puscas instead of Baldock.......

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Feb 2020 15:52

Snowflake Royal Wigan could be a tough nut to crack. Our form is not great and whilst theirs isn't exactly stonking, they've only lost once in the last six and in their last 2 away picked up a good win against Leeds and a draw against Cardiff.

We need to be on our game and our home record isn't great. Plus Wigan seem to regularly survive thanks to points from us, often at our expense, though we're pretty safe this time round.

I think we'll have enough but it could be tight and scrappy.

Yep, they’ve been on reasonable form this year and beat the mighty Leeds away

I don’t think they’ll go. Boro or Hudders should indeed be very worried - neither would have expected to be down there

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 23 Feb 2020 23:09

thanks

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Feb 2020 01:18

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ Rafael

Yiadom
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Rino
Swift

Meite
Olise
Masika

Puscas

I’d start him on the basis that a couple of games ago, he did well, and it’s no use to him (or Baldock) constantly chopping and changing. Choose one, give them a bit of a run to see if they can deliver in a fast turnover period. In addition, Puscas scored a hat trick against this lot last time

However, I wouldn’t be against a two up top formation to work on a strike duo for Sheffield United. I’m not sure playing a lone striker against three tall centre halves will work (in particular Baldock/Puscas) so perhaps planning and adapting for that game can be beneficial

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 24 Feb 2020 14:23

How does the red button work? Never used it before. Do you need to be subscribed to anything?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Feb 2020 14:25

Dave the rave How does the red button work? Never used it before. Do you need to be subscribed to anything?

Nope, if you have a normal Sky Sports subscription, you should be able to access it on Sky Sports Football. You can also watch on a tablet or mobile through the Sky Sports App.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Feb 2020 14:27

Hendo
Dave the rave How does the red button work? Never used it before. Do you need to be subscribed to anything?

Nope, if you have a normal Sky Sports subscription, you should be able to access it on Sky Sports Football. You can also watch on a tablet or mobile through the Sky Sports App.

And be prepared to squint when watching as you come to quickly realise football in standard definition is just plain bullshit.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 24 Feb 2020 14:36

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

And be prepared to squint when watching as you come to quickly realise football in standard definition is just plain bullshit.

Thanks lads.
I've got Sky but just the basic package so sounds like a no go for me.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 24 Feb 2020 14:57

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ Rafael

Yiadom
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Rino
Swift

Meite
Olise
Masika

Puscas

I’d start him on the basis that a couple of games ago, he did well, and it’s no use to him (or Baldock) constantly chopping and changing. Choose one, give them a bit of a run to see if they can deliver in a fast turnover period. In addition, Puscas scored a hat trick against this lot last time

However, I wouldn’t be against a two up top formation to work on a strike duo for Sheffield United. I’m not sure playing a lone striker against three tall centre halves will work (in particular Baldock/Puscas) so perhaps planning and adapting for that game can be beneficial

Pele to Start every time.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 24 Feb 2020 15:50

If he starts Puscas alone up Ill scream......Baldock needs to start, I don't know what he has done to deserve this treatment off of Bowen but persevering with a player whose work rate/creativity and threat is nowhere near the bloke whose sitting on the bench is utter lunacy.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Feb 2020 15:53

Ascotexgunner If he starts Puscas alone up Ill scream......Baldock needs to start, I don't know what he has done to deserve this treatment off of Bowen but persevering with a player whose work rate/creativity and threat is nowhere near the bloke whose sitting on the bench is utter lunacy.

Baldock doesn't offer too much creativity or threat either to be honest, especially when starting up front on his own - he just isn't that type of player.

By all accounts Puscas has improved in the last two games, so to drop him would be pretty damaging to his confidence, if you ask me.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Feb 2020 17:33

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ Rafael

Yiadom
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Rino
Swift

Meite
Olise
Masika

Puscas

You sure about that? EDIT: Mixed up this one with the Cardiff brace. Ignore me.

Upfront it's the same old conundrum isn't it ... no one fit to play upfront on their own, but who do you drop in midfield to accommodate a second striker? Or do you drop the wide players - in which case you've really got to push the wing backs up to have width which means you need a third CB or two DMs to avoid being wide open.

285 posts