BFTG Sheff U FB

175 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Sheff U FB

by Hendo » 04 Mar 2020 08:47

Thought we were a bit unlucky last night and probably deserved to take it to penalties.

But you can't switch off against good sides as they will just punish you and that's what cost us in the end last night. Although there probably was a foul leading up to both of their goals - would need to see it back through.

Thought it was a penalty, the defender gave the ref a decision to make by raising his arms a little bit, I have no doubt that if VAR had been in use, it would've been upheld. Quality penalty from Puscas, hard and low and even with Henderson diving the right way, he got nowhere near it - shows that his confidence is growing being able to pick his spot like that.

Thought Rhino was back to his best and showed his form from last season, which was missing earlier this season. Hopefully he can stay in the side now and really kick on next year.

Meite was great, caused them problems all night.

They do have some tidy players and are exceptionally well drilled.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 04 Mar 2020 09:01

Ejaria seems to have a quick brain, when in tight situations. When he is has a couple of yards space around the box he doesn't offer us much, enough of the time.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 04 Mar 2020 09:02

Also Swift MOTM for me.

What a tireless performance, always offering for the ball, making things happen for us, tracking back. What a shame he put on a good show in front of Chris Wilder who loves an English team!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Mar 2020 09:19

LWJ Also Swift MOTM for me.

What????

Seemingly Swift can do whatever he likes in a Reading shirt and many will label him MOTM or standout. Olise completely outshone him last night as did a few others, don't understand the Swift love.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Mar 2020 09:20

bloody Volvo driver Agree with every sentence bar one. There were 3 subs made in first half of ET, Pele, Macca and one for them. Alas it was one of the few things Friend got right last night.

All of the subs were made before ET started so made no difference to time added on

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Mar 2020 09:34

Silver Fox
bloody Volvo driver Agree with every sentence bar one. There were 3 subs made in first half of ET, Pele, Macca and one for them. Alas it was one of the few things Friend got right last night.

All of the subs were made before ET started so made no difference to time added on

No they weren`t. 2 subs, 5 minutes in and the other 2 half time in ET.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Mar 2020 09:35

What a tireless performance, always offering for the ball, making things happen for us, tracking back. What a shame he put on a good show in front of Chris Wilder who loves an English team!

Agreed, thought Swift was class last night and really drove us forward, everything good seemed to come through him.

Him, Rhino and Meite would all be in a shout for MOTM for me.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Mar 2020 09:37

windermereROYAL
Silver Fox

No they weren`t. 2 subs, 5 minutes in and the other 2 half time in ET.

My bad, I was thinking of the 3 subs before the 2nd half of ET. I knew Kevin Friend had stitched us sup somehow!

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 04 Mar 2020 09:47

Old Man Andrews

What????

Seemingly Swift can do whatever he likes in a Reading shirt and many will label him MOTM or standout. Olise completely outshone him last night as did a few others, don't understand the Swift love.

I thought Olise was ok last night, but not enough spank over. He hardly touched the ball in the first half

Swift looked great at times, but nothing ever came of it. I get the impression him and Ejaria have ordered not to shoot from outside the box even if there's space

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Mar 2020 09:49

John Madejski's Wallet
Old Man Andrews

What????

I thought Olise was ok last night, but not enough spank over. He hardly touched the ball in the first half

Swift looked great at times, but nothing ever came of it. I get the impression him and Ejaria have ordered not to shoot from outside the box even if there's space

Didn't Ovie haave a shot from outside the box after a couple of minutes against Barnsley on Saturday? :?

retro royal

by retro royal » 04 Mar 2020 09:53

Enjoyable game, 30 minutes on-wards, all put a shift in.

Thought Yiadom had a bit of a mare yesterday, could/should have done better stopping the ball getting crossed for the goals, when he gets forward can't put a decent ball in. Maybe harsh on the first as he went up to help attack and Rino got what looked to be a foul waved away and they broke, but for me for all his running offers poor quality putting anything in the box. The system we play (narrow midfield) we need wing/full backs that cross rather than play backwards.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 04 Mar 2020 09:54

Hendo
John Madejski's Wallet
Old Man Andrews What????

Didn't Ovie haave a shot from outside the box after a couple of minutes against Barnsley on Saturday? :?

Last night there were a number of times where the ball was cut across the box with the perfect weight/shape to have a shot but neither of them even considered it. Didn't even flinch to think about it. The default was to just turn and lay it off

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 04 Mar 2020 09:55

Due to a shambles on the bus I missed the first goal. Got in the queue at 7:10 and they must of been short of buses as they were only loading 2 at a time. At 7:30 they decided just to load without paying, ours went first but the driver decided not to use the bus lane so we saw 4 other later buses pass us as we got there just after 8.

I thought it was a pretty reasonable performance but there were very few chances for either side, Sheff took pretty well the only chances they had. Thought our pen looked soft, but wasn't complaining.

We seemed incapable of a quick break, a number of times we'd beat a player who recovered and forced us to go backward.

MOTM for me was Swift, good games from Rhino, Yiadom and Meite. I can't understand the praise for Olise not sure he did too much other than blast a shot over the bar. Obita was poor. Overall we never looked like scoring, our play has no pattern. We don't play down the channels and look for cut backs, we just pass it around and take too long to set up a pass or shot.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Mar 2020 09:56

Hendo

Agreed, thought Swift was class last night and really drove us forward, everything good seemed to come through him.

Him, Rhino and Meite would all be in a shout for MOTM for me.

yeah exactly that. Swift was the best player on the pitch - excellent performance against a Prem side. Up against a £22m in Berge and outshone him

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 04 Mar 2020 09:56

The best compliment we can pay the team for last night was that Sheff Utd started shooting from distance...….something that is absolutely not in their game plan

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Mar 2020 10:05

Hound
Snowflake Royal Obita had a poor game, but wasn't awful or anything.

Ejaria carried on as normal. There's massive talent there, but he slows everything to walking pace and generally makes terrible decisions dribbling into blind alleys and producing nothing. It's all well and good having great close control, but if you play to dribble past three people in tight spaces with the ball under your feet, you have to be perfect in balance, strength and skill, and he isn't. Hence why he often stumbles falls. Needs to be drilled into playing at higher tempo and releasing the ball.

Olise by comparison moves the ball at a greater tempo and doesn't run down blind alleys. Less blinding close control, but he doesn't need it to be effective... at 18 vs 22 he looks the smarter player to me.

tbf, Ejaria was fantastic up until Christmas time. He is a hell of a player, just in a run of average form.

Olise/Swift/Rino looked really tasty - their quick inter-passing and movement made loads of space and we got through Utd's midfield a number of times with it. Olise certainly made a number of poor choices, but there is a cracking player in there

Ejaria has been found out badly

He’s often double/even triple marked when he’s on the ball so he can’t embarrass them with his dribbling. In which case, it opens up space elsewhere. Unfortunately, he doesn’t look up and utilise the space and ends up dancing round with the defenders before losing it

He needs to add another dimension to his game and hopefully can work on it over the summer because he’s been a passenger for a couple of months now

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Mar 2020 10:06

URZZZZ
Hound

Ejaria carried on as normal. There's massive talent there, but he slows everything to walking pace and generally makes terrible decisions dribbling into blind alleys and producing nothing. It's all well and good having great close control, but if you play to dribble past three people in tight spaces with the ball under your feet, you have to be perfect in balance, strength and skill, and he isn't. Hence why he often stumbles falls. Needs to be drilled into playing at higher tempo and releasing the ball.

Olise by comparison moves the ball at a greater tempo and doesn't run down blind alleys. Less blinding close control, but he doesn't need it to be effective... at 18 vs 22 he looks the smarter player to me.

tbf, Ejaria was fantastic up until Christmas time. He is a hell of a player, just in a run of average form.

Olise/Swift/Rino looked really tasty - their quick inter-passing and movement made loads of space and we got through Utd's midfield a number of times with it. Olise certainly made a number of poor choices, but there is a cracking player in there

Don't agree, I think he is just very tired and needs an extended break from starting games. Maybe light training for a week or something.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Mar 2020 10:12

URZZZZ
Hound

He’s often double/even triple marked when he’s on the ball so he can’t embarrass them with his dribbling. In which case, it opens up space elsewhere. Unfortunately, he doesn’t look up and utilise the space and ends up dancing round with the defenders before losing it

He needs to add another dimension to his game and hopefully can work on it over the summer because he’s been a passenger for a couple of months now

Wouldn't say he has been a passenger as such - his defensive work is still good, and he works hard. But agree on the first para.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 04 Mar 2020 10:19

Forgot Brum are playing tonight,they should be as knackered as we are.Lets hope it goes to ET and pens.Leicesters level of performance have dropped off recently.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Mar 2020 10:24

John Madejski's Wallet
Hendo
John Madejski's Wallet I thought Olise was ok last night, but not enough spank over. He hardly touched the ball in the first half

Last night there were a number of times where the ball was cut across the box with the perfect weight/shape to have a shot but neither of them even considered it. Didn't even flinch to think about it. The default was to just turn and lay it off

Oh I agree last night it was obvious there were chances to shoot when they didn't, just don't know whether they have been instructed to do it all the time.

It is a bit frustrating when there is an obvious chance to shoot but they don't. Both of them have excellent shots on them as well, which makes it worse.

175 posts