BFTG Sheff U FB

175 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Sheff U FB

by Millsy » 04 Mar 2020 14:10

Hound Without sounding like OMA - We aren't getting charged with breaking FFP and we aren't going to be docked points. Simple as that.

Surely the worst that will happen is we won't be allowed to play in the Champions' League next season anyway.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 04 Mar 2020 14:11

Hound We aren't getting charged with breaking FFP

Not yet, maybe next season if what I've heard is correct.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Mar 2020 14:13

SCIAG
Hound
I thought Obita had a good game actually - can’t quite work out on the 2nd goal whose error that was - possibly him. But he’s playing some lovely balls in to Puscas and some nice crosses as well

There were three things.

Firstly Rinomhota is on the floor and United brutally expose that space.

Secondly, Meite doesn’t come back and nobody else covers for Rino - a tactical oversight.

Thirdly, United’s strikers don’t what all strike partnerships of that ilk do and successfully confuse the centre backs about which should be marking them. McGoldrick then drifts to the back post and gets in the gap between Morrison and Obita. Big strikers will always look to take on the full back - Ricky Lambert scored a lot of his goals that way, it’s half of Meite’s game - so I think Morrison should be the one taking responsibility for him. But it’s a systematic error rather than an individual failing.

Another occassion that we could have been awarded a free kick for a foul near the half way line. From the subsequent play Utd scored. That's football. Small margins are the difference. Must learn to play to the whistle.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Mar 2020 14:16

LWJ

But aren't we losing a load of FFP/money issues due to the 3 year cycle and with a few big earners having their contacts come to an end?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Mar 2020 14:21

SCIAG United’s strikers don’t what all strike partnerships of that ilk do and successfully confuse the centre backs about which should be marking them.

So is this why we set up zonal marking, which is what we were using according to the FB commentary?

Isn't this what we've sorted out and why our defence improved massively when Gomes left?

Isn't marking as simple as just sticking with your man no matter how much you think you're being confused. That's what I was taught and shite as I may be as a footballer I piss people off with how effectively I mark them to the point of them swearing at me or trying to hack my legs off to leave them alone a lot of the time.

I don't get why we'd shy away from man marking to go zonal, no matter the ilk of the opposition.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 04 Mar 2020 15:04

Hendo
LWJ

But aren't we losing a load of FFP/money issues due to the 3 year cycle and with a few big earners having their contacts come to an end?

We've lost a LOT this year.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 04 Mar 2020 15:11

9165 Agree with most posters, only thing I'll add is that Swift and Ejaria should be told that it's not against the rules to use your left foot. This explains the near constant turning back into trouble when gaining possession.

My Sheff Utd mate was commenting on the same thing, that Swift and Ejaria are so right footed they kept turning into trouble or missing too many key shooting/passing opportunities

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Mar 2020 15:46

bloody Volvo driver Agree with every sentence bar one. There were 3 subs made in first half of ET, Pele, Macca and one for them. Alas it was one of the few things Friend got right last night.

Ref’s performance was best summed up by Bowen when asked if he’d had a poor game, his reply was something along the lines of “Need to be careful what I say and I have known Kevin many years, but that was his usual performance”.

Prem ref looking to make up for a soft penalty and now too reliant on VAR.

I thought it was a soft penalty at the time but, having seen the replays it was a very clear and deliberate shove in the back.

I also think Puscas had a very good claim for another for us as he was pushed from behind when clear of the defender. Again, night have been 'soft' but it still looked a deliberate contact from behind.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Mar 2020 15:49

2 world wars, 1 world cup
SCIAG United’s strikers don’t what all strike partnerships of that ilk do and successfully confuse the centre backs about which should be marking them.

So is this why we set up zonal marking, which is what we were using according to the FB commentary?

Isn't this what we've sorted out and why our defence improved massively when Gomes left?

Isn't marking as simple as just sticking with your man no matter how much you think you're being confused. That's what I was taught and shite as I may be as a footballer I piss people off with how effectively I mark them to the point of them swearing at me or trying to hack my legs off to leave them alone a lot of the time.

I don't get why we'd shy away from man marking to go zonal, no matter the ilk of the opposition.

I prefer zonal marking in general. Makes more sense to me. Man Marking tends to leave people free on the back post as the CB gets drawn in all too often. Look how many goals we have conceded with a Full Back standing in front of the goal going "shit, was that my man?"

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 04 Mar 2020 15:50

Old Man Andrews
LWJ Also Swift MOTM for me.

What????

Seemingly Swift can do whatever he likes in a Reading shirt and many will label him MOTM or standout. Olise completely outshone him last night as did a few others, don't understand the Swift love.

Nothing to do with 'Swift love' last night. If you think that, maybe you can get a two for one offer at Spec Savers with Kevin Friend. He was immense last night. One of the best of numerous good performances he has produced during his time with us. In the past he could be justifiably criticised for his lack of defensive work, not anymore. And he is also a great header of the ball with a great leap, something I haven't noticed in the past.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Mar 2020 15:51

RoyalBlue
bloody Volvo driver Agree with every sentence bar one. There were 3 subs made in first half of ET, Pele, Macca and one for them. Alas it was one of the few things Friend got right last night.

Ref’s performance was best summed up by Bowen when asked if he’d had a poor game, his reply was something along the lines of “Need to be careful what I say and I have known Kevin many years, but that was his usual performance”.

I thought it was a soft penalty at the time but, having seen the replays it was a very clear and deliberate shove in the back.

I also think Puscas had a very good claim for another for us as he was pushed from behind when clear of the defender. Again, night have been 'soft' but it still looked a deliberate contact from behind.

First penalty was 100% the second one, seen them given but I think the ref gave the benefit of the doubt to the defender on that one, but certainly could've been given.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Mar 2020 16:02

NewCorkSeth

I prefer zonal marking in general.

URGomesAICMFP

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 04 Mar 2020 16:04

Zonal marking is sh*t

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 04 Mar 2020 16:12

Danny Nedelko Meite was fantastic last night and toss up between him and Swift for MOTM. I thought Yiadom had a good game too and generally everyone played well. Our decision making let's us down at times and we need to be quicker with the ball - Ovie especially guilty of slowing the game down.

Altho Ovie does get a special mention for moment of the match, with that flick over the defender's head in the second half.....that's why he gets bums on seats. Just needs a bit more end product.

Other than being super annoyed at Friend not giving a blatant foul(s) in the build up to their winner and our inability to then clear the f'ing ball, it was a good night out. We deserved better in the end.

Watch the video and you will see that the officials not only missed the blatant foul on Puscas but also a clear offside in the buildup ( the player who received the ball and laid it back to the guy who swung it in for Sharp to score).

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Mar 2020 16:12

Hendo
RoyalBlue

First penalty was 100% the second one, seen them given but I think the ref gave the benefit of the doubt to the defender on that one, but certainly could've been given.

Think the third one, late on in extra time was very close. Think it was Yiadom who was almost on the goal line inside the area and hit a cross which clearly was blocked by a defender’s arm. Only thing that saved him IMHO was he was pretty close to Yiadom and the ref must of judged that as a premier league defender he didn’t intentionally handle the ball.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Mar 2020 16:13

Nameless
Hendo
RoyalBlue

Think the third one, late on in extra time was very close. Think it was Yiadom who was almost on the goal line inside the area and hit a cross which clearly was blocked by a defender’s arm. Only thing that saved him IMHO was he was pretty close to Yiadom and the ref must of judged that as a premier league defender he didn’t intentionally handle the ball.

Don't remember that one...

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 04 Mar 2020 16:16

John Madejski's Wallet
9165 Agree with most posters, only thing I'll add is that Swift and Ejaria should be told that it's not against the rules to use your left foot. This explains the near constant turning back into trouble when gaining possession.

My Sheff Utd mate was commenting on the same thing, that Swift and Ejaria are so right footed they kept turning into trouble or missing too many key shooting/passing opportunities

Just on the matter of right foot, left foot.
I have discussed on here with other posters over the years the problem (generally) of having a right-footed left back and my view is that I would prefer a natural left-footer there even if thought to be not such a good player as a right-footer in that area.
It is a question of balance.

The same goes for wide front players.
In the case of Meite, last night (who incidentally produced that cracker of a shot in the first half which was his best moment) he didn't go outside his marker to get in a right-footed cross (Pepe at Arsenal is the same).
It's fine cutting in to shoot with your stronger foot but not for creating chances for others which presumably was also part of his role out wide.
He ends up always cutting back on his left, losing impetus, and moving inside where everything is so much more crowded.

When McCleary came on we saw a natural right-winger producing more threat and crosses than Meite had done previously and IMHO it wasn't just a question of fresh legs.
With a shortie at left-back for them McClearly was also able to win as many headers as Meite did.

As fans we always wonder why professional players aren't two-footed but the fact is hardly any are even at the highest levels and we see that with Swift and Ejaria as mentioned being very right-footed, as Olise, Obita and Meite are very left-sided.
It is how it is and there aren't too many genuine two-footed players like Chris Waddle was so it's a bit harsh IMHO to criticise Swift and Ejaria specifically.

Also last night yet again we were dire from throw-ins and they showed us how to find a man.
One day we might see a Reading side where the full-backs block crosses and throw-ins reach one of ours.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Mar 2020 17:06

NewCorkSeth

I prefer zonal marking in general.

URGomesAICMFP

Its in the post.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Mar 2020 17:07

John Madejski's Wallet Zonal marking is sh*t

I hate you.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Mar 2020 17:07

RoyalBlue
Danny Nedelko Meite was fantastic last night and toss up between him and Swift for MOTM. I thought Yiadom had a good game too and generally everyone played well. Our decision making let's us down at times and we need to be quicker with the ball - Ovie especially guilty of slowing the game down.

Altho Ovie does get a special mention for moment of the match, with that flick over the defender's head in the second half.....that's why he gets bums on seats. Just needs a bit more end product.

Other than being super annoyed at Friend not giving a blatant foul(s) in the build up to their winner and our inability to then clear the f'ing ball, it was a good night out. We deserved better in the end.

Watch the video and you will see that the officials not only missed the blatant foul on Puscas but also a clear offside in the buildup ( the player who received the ball and laid it back to the guy who swung it in for Sharp to score).

Morrison was playing him onside

175 posts