Euro 2020

2571 posts
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Euro 2020

by John Smith » 10 Mar 2020 13:57

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ Wonder if this will be affected by Coronavirus? Surely will be in some way at this rate with the number of foreign games being called off/behind closed doors

Everyone will have grown up by then.

If it does I feel it will be a blessing in disguise for England.

Should Kane and Rashford not be fit enough for the tournament, which four strikers travel?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Mar 2020 13:59

John Smith
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ Wonder if this will be affected by Coronavirus? Surely will be in some way at this rate with the number of foreign games being called off/behind closed doors

Everyone will have grown up by then.

If it does I feel it will be a blessing in disguise for England.

Should Kane and Rashford not be fit enough for the tournament, which four strikers travel?

Calvert-Lewin
Abraham
Ings
Would ask Vardy to come out of retirement.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Mar 2020 14:01

Old Man Andrews
John Smith If it does I feel it will be a blessing in disguise for England.

Calvert-Lewin
Abraham
Ings

Crikey. This now leads me to my next question (I think you probably know where this is going): should that be the case that we have to take those four, inevitably flop and not qualify from the group...does Southgate go?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Mar 2020 14:03

John Smith
Old Man Andrews
John Smith If it does I feel it will be a blessing in disguise for England.

Calvert-Lewin
Abraham
Ings

Crikey. This now leads me to my next question (I think you probably know where this is going): should that be the case that we have to take those four, inevitably flop and not qualify from the group...does Southgate go?

Southgate goes if we are embarrassed in the group stages, yes. If we are unlucky and play well then I would like him to stay on purely because there are not any suitable replacements.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Mar 2020 14:11

Think Kane and Rashford will both be fit for the summer - heard both should be back by the end of the season.

Otherwise, I'd been looking to take

Calvert-Lewin
Abraham
Ings/Wilson

Don't think you need a 4th with the system England play as it can be supplemented with Sancho, Sterling, Hudson-Odoi and a couple of other young forward players.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Mar 2020 14:15

Hendo Think Kane and Rashford will both be fit for the summer - heard both should be back by the end of the season.

Calvert-Lewin
Abraham
Ings/Wilson

Don't think you need a 4th with the system England play as it can be supplemented with Sancho, Sterling, Hudson-Odoi and a couple of other young forward players.

Wonder if Bowen has a chance if he does well the last couple of months of the season?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Mar 2020 14:19

URZZZZ
Hendo Think Kane and Rashford will both be fit for the summer - heard both should be back by the end of the season.

Calvert-Lewin
Abraham
Ings/Wilson

Wonder if Bowen has a chance if he does well the last couple of months of the season?

I'd say he would have to have a stellar last couple of months and hope for an injury to one of the established players.

Not a bad shout for the Nations League games though if he keeps up his good form.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Mar 2020 08:05

Would be calling up Antonio before Bowen personally, think he has had a great season in an underperforming team. Would be a really good, energetic sub for late on in games.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 13 Mar 2020 10:59

Thinking about the Follow your Team tickets that have to be paid for up front there is a hell of a lot of money held by the organisers. In effect the seats have been sold 20 or so times over. So they hold all that money, probably into millions, from December 2019 until the games start.

And with a CV postponement they will hold it for a further year. Nice!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 14 Mar 2020 19:15

bcubed Thinking about the Follow your Team tickets that have to be paid for up front there is a hell of a lot of money held by the organisers. In effect the seats have been sold 20 or so times over. So they hold all that money, probably into millions, from December 2019 until the games start.

Genuinely interested to hear other people's thoughts on this. Have I got this right or have I missed something?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Mar 2020 23:55

bcubed
bcubed Thinking about the Follow your Team tickets that have to be paid for up front there is a hell of a lot of money held by the organisers. In effect the seats have been sold 20 or so times over. So they hold all that money, probably into millions, from December 2019 until the games start.

Genuinely interested to hear other people's thoughts on this. Have I got this right or have I missed something?

I think you have this right. Plenty of bank interest being built up over a sustained period for the organisers.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Jun 2020 18:10

Zip
bcubed

I think you have this right. Plenty of bank interest being built up over a sustained period for the organisers.

It's gonna be one big mess. I can see it now.
Just to add to the mess international football is about to enter, it's in the middle of all the WC qualifiers (though to be honest I'll be quite happy if we didn't goto Qatar, it shouldn't be held there).

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 02 Jul 2020 05:57

One of the best things about an international football tournament is the coop pizza and beer deal.

2 pizzas and 4 pack of shitty Budweiser for £5.

Clearly the coop pizza and beer order was put in years ago as despite the Euro 2020 postponement they are still currently running the deal sans Euro 2020 marketing much to the bemusement of the Coop staff, who presumably have other things on their minds than the ghost marketing presence of cancelled international football tournaments. As a result I’m making Mrs SP eat pizza every other night so that by the weekend I’m sorted for shitty lager. Result!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Aug 2020 14:25

Real questionable squad from Southgate

Three right backs, no left backs
No Grealish who, on the balance of things probably deserves it
Think Antonio is unlucky to miss out given his post lockdown form. Ditto Tarkowski

Not sure I see the need to include all of Winks, Rice, Dier and Phillips, all too samey for me

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Aug 2020 14:40

URZZZZ Real questionable squad from Southgate

Think Antonio is unlucky to miss out given his post lockdown form. Ditto Tarkowski

Not sure I see the need to include all of Winks, Rice, Dier and Phillips, all too samey for me

Grealish was shite in the second half of the season, think attitude might come into it with him too. Don't forget Southgate knows him quite well as he was included in the U21's when Southgate took over the England job, potentially he has heard or seen things that suggest Grealish isn't of the right mindset for international football. If Grealsih moves on to a better club and does well in Europe etc then Southgate won't be able to ignore him imo.

Agree on Antonio and Tarkowski though.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Aug 2020 16:38

Old Man Andrews

Grealish was shite in the second half of the season, think attitude might come into it with him too. Don't forget Southgate knows him quite well as he was included in the U21's when Southgate took over the England job, potentially he has heard or seen things that suggest Grealish isn't of the right mindset for international football. If Grealsih moves on to a better club and does well in Europe etc then Southgate won't be able to ignore him imo.

Agree on Antonio and Tarkowski though.

You’re perhaps right

My main issue, however, is that Southgate explicitly said last year Grealish wasn’t in his thought process because he wasn’t playing football in the Premier League. The same process hasn’t applied for Phillips

Unless Southgate said that to protect Grealish and in actual fact, it was his attitude that was the problem, it strikes me as slightly two faced

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Aug 2020 10:52

Mourinho has been playing Dier at CB, so maybe that's part of the thinking.

Also, the DM role is a huge issue to right to get in a different players to look at. In 2021, we're likely to have a midfield 3 of Henderson, Foden and a DM who can help us play out and control possession.

Winks is the right "sort" of player but has the weakness that he's not actually that good and looks out of his depth at the top level. Rice looks good for West Ham but has never delivered for England. I think England would benefit hugely if he moved to Chelsea and played at a higher level.

Phillips is worth a look in the context.

Lack of LB is silly and concerning how it's Chilwell or nobody. Is Shaw injured too? What other options do we have?

I'd have picked Grealish, but we have a lot of competition for his role. He's behind Foden and Mount in my view.

Antonio is not cut out for international football. He is quick, strong and works hard but is nowhere near good enough technically, even allowing for his purple patch. If you look at our attacking options, he will never get ahead of Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood and Sterling.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Aug 2020 11:48

WestYorksRoyal

Mourinho has been playing Dier at CB, so maybe that's part of the thinking.

Also, the DM role is a huge issue to right to get in a different players to look at. In 2021, we're likely to have a midfield 3 of Henderson, Foden and a DM who can help us play out and control possession.

Winks is the right "sort" of player but has the weakness that he's not actually that good and looks out of his depth at the top level. Rice looks good for West Ham but has never delivered for England. I think England would benefit hugely if he moved to Chelsea and played at a higher level.

Phillips is worth a look in the context.

Lack of LB is silly and concerning how it's Chilwell or nobody. Is Shaw injured too? What other options do we have?

I'd have picked Grealish, but we have a lot of competition for his role. He's behind Foden and Mount in my view.

Antonio is not cut out for international football. He is quick, strong and works hard but is nowhere near good enough technically, even allowing for his purple patch. If you look at our attacking options, he will never get ahead of Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood and Sterling.

Not many options at LB in fairness but probably better than using a makeshift RB. Saka at Arsenal could have been an option, seen to recall him getting a bit of game time recently

Not sure about Rice moving to another higher club, I think it works in his favour being one of the key players at West Ham, it didn’t work for Drinkwater for example

I just don’t particularly rate Dier and even if you’re right, don’t think he should be played as a CB ahead of Dunk and Tarkowski. But I can accept the overall argument that he’s a versatile player so can have some use

Disagree about Antonio, wouldn’t start him in my team but he’d be a good sub option off the bench. Find the lack of plan B hindered us in the World Cup a few years ago as most of the reserves for simply like for like players whereas he could be a good plan B in games where it isn’t going to plan

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Aug 2020 11:54

Antonio is a very good hold up player, very strong. He reminds me a little bit of Heskey in that sense. Works extremely hard too. Sort of player I'd want to bring on after 80 minutes if my side are winning to chase down defenders and keep possesion.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Aug 2020 12:16

You may be right about Rice being better off as a big player at West Ham. It's just infuriating; the DM position has been our key weakness for several years and nobody has stepped up to make it their own.

We seem to have an abundance of attacking talents coming through and nothing further back.

Apparently Bellingham has played the role for Birmingham at times, so hopefully Dortmund can build upon that. We don't need another option for the no.10 role.

Edit: final point. I agree harsh on Dunk and Tarkowski, but how do they fit with Southgate's wish for modern defenfers who can play out? And if you wanted more of an "old school" defender who can organise and lead a defence, Chris Smalling has had a great loan season at Roma and is still only 30.

2571 posts