Royal Elm Park

587 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Royal Elm Park

by Sutekh » 03 Aug 2018 08:00

Is there an official source for this or is just some misheard hearsay?

Delboy

by Delboy » 03 Aug 2018 08:29

Rubbish just means they are not ready to start before May next year , huge project takes ages to get consents through . If it was canned it would be because planners turned it down, no news on that front .

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 03 Aug 2018 10:07

Well according to this report dated 9th July2018

The council are also still negotiating about the development of Royal Elm Park on the former Reading FC car park – with a mix of hotel, multi-storey car park and public transport interchange being granted consent in 2017.

https://www.built-environment-networkin ... ess-parks/

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Aug 2018 10:34

no problems with the area being redeveloped, its not pretty at the moment

I just don't think the Chinese owners would want it owned by the Thais. Reckon they will buy it out at some stage if they are sticking around and then come up with their own plans

Green park train station a totally different plan

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 19 Feb 2020 23:11

There is some fresh activity regarding the REP development which is being driven by the majority Thai investors. RFC assured STAR that the club remains in a strong position regarding any proposals for development and advised STAR to keep an eye on the Reading Borough Council website for any progress regarding developments on the planning application. However it seems unlikely that any building work will start on the site during the 2020-21 football season.

https://star-reading.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Structured-Dialogue-Meeting-13-2-20-final-notes-PDF.pdf

One87One

by One87One » 14 Mar 2020 15:13

Still hate the thought of this and hope it doesn’t come to fruition. The lack of parking around the stadium due to recent local developments has certainly had an effect on attendances even if only a small one. Losing the parking spaces at the ground will have an even bigger impact.

It’s not as simple as saying oh just get a bus. Many can’t, and many more have four buses to negotiate which is a pain in the arse for most. It’ll also have a significant impact on our if town fans who drive in.

It might only hurt us by 1000 fans but it would still be 1000 fans missing, and at a time when our fans are at their most disillusioned and are staying away anyway.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Mar 2020 09:36

One87One Still hate the thought of this and hope it doesn’t come to fruition. The lack of parking around the stadium due to recent local developments has certainly had an effect on attendances even if only a small one. Losing the parking spaces at the ground will have an even bigger impact.

It’s not as simple as saying oh just get a bus. Many can’t, and many more have four buses to negotiate which is a pain in the arse for most. It’ll also have a significant impact on our if town fans who drive in.

It might only hurt us by 1000 fans but it would still be 1000 fans missing, and at a time when our fans are at their most disillusioned and are staying away anyway.

Why can’t they? Reading buses provide a service from most bigger locations in Berkshire and Stagecoach provide a service from bigger locations in Hampshire. You then have 2 P&R services and for anyone getting the train you have the excellent service from the station.

What do you mean 4 buses to negotiate? The bus service is pretty straightforward.

There will always be parking for disabled fans at the stadium, I’m sure there is something in H&S guidelines or legislation which confirms you have to offer it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2020 12:57

Would 1000 fewer fans a game outweight the income from the development?

Hmmm.

And if we are challenging at the top or in the PL, that 1000 will likely be replaced by others anyway.

One87One

by One87One » 15 Mar 2020 13:11

Snowflake Royal Would 1000 fewer fans a game outweight the income from the development?

Hmmm.

And if we are challenging at the top or in the PL, that 1000 will likely be replaced by others anyway.

What income? The Thai’s own that land. RFC get nothing from the development other than the £15m we sold the land for which immediately cleared debts. Nothing of REP will be owned by RFC. If that’s not the case and my memory has slipped please link me to what we will own and make money from. Thanks.

To the question about 4 buses I’m talking about anyone travelling from Tilehurst as an example. Two no. 17’s plus the football buses. Not everyone will fancy that. You cannot say the loss of the car parking won’t affect the attendance.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 15 Mar 2020 13:11

Not to mention the extra thousand people who will live within stones throw of the stadium which could all potentially become fans

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2020 13:49

One87One
Snowflake Royal Would 1000 fewer fans a game outweight the income from the development?

Hmmm.

What income? The Thai’s own that land. RFC get nothing from the development other than the £15m we sold the land for which immediately cleared debts. Nothing of REP will be owned by RFC. If that’s not the case and my memory has slipped please link me to what we will own and make money from. Thanks.

To the question about 4 buses I’m talking about anyone travelling from Tilehurst as an example. Two no. 17’s plus the football buses. Not everyone will fancy that. You cannot say the loss of the car parking won’t affect the attendance.

The club owns 24.7% of the company that owns the land and plans the development. So you're wrong.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Mar 2020 14:27

One87One

Hmmm.

I have to get 2x underground’s, a train and a bus to get to football. If people want to go, they’ll make the effort. Also, if you’re going from Tilehurst you get the F22 which goes straight to football.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2020 14:32

Two trains, two tubes and about an hour and a half of walking each way. When I can be arsed.

I could make it two trains, 1 tube, a bus and 30 mins walk

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Mar 2020 15:06

One87One

Hmmm.

The idea wasn't people would have to make their way using the existing bus network. The intention was to run more of the football specific buses from local areas. As someone who was sceptical about getting the bus but switched a couple of years ago I can say it has been from my experience way better than driving to games. The challenge will be to persuade people to try it, but frankly I would not go back to taking my cat to matches.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 15 Mar 2020 15:19

Nameless
One87One

Hmmm.

The idea wasn't people would have to make their way using the existing bus network. The intention was to run more of the football specific buses from local areas. As someone who was sceptical about getting the bus but switched a couple of years ago I can say it has been from my experience way better than driving to games. The challenge will be to persuade people to try it, but frankly I would not go back to taking my cat to matches.

The image I am seeing is you sitting astride your (very) big cat with your legs doing a "Flintstone" propelling motion, both of you wearing a blue and white scarf. Where did you tie the animal up?

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 19 Mar 2020 17:40

I have only ever parked at the Mad Stad once - for a league cup game - and it took over an hour to get out of the car park.

I've either parked nearby and walked, gone to one of the pubs that run a football service or got dropped off.

Not sure why it's an issue for the average person to park away from the stadium.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 31 Mar 2020 16:34

WoodleyRoyal Not to mention the extra thousand people who will live within stones throw of the stadium which could all potentially become fans
or nuisance neighbors moaning to the council about the noise, football hooligans etc etc

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 31 Mar 2020 16:37

Nameless
One87One

Hmmm.

The club have already said buses will be free.... whether the cost of a matchday ticket goes up by £5 or whatever remains to be seen!

I used to get an urban bus, I now get the Park and Ride from Shinfield Park - Drive there, park and get a bus straight away. I actually get home quicker than when I took the bus direct and it's also cheaper and more flexible.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 10 Apr 2020 11:39

Nameless
One87One

Hmmm.

Your Cat will be pleased

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 11 Apr 2020 13:28

Forbury Lion The club have already said buses will be free.... whether the cost of a matchday ticket goes up by £5 or whatever remains to be seen!

I used to get an urban bus, I now get the Park and Ride from Shinfield Park - Drive there, park and get a bus straight away. I actually get home quicker than when I took the bus direct and it's also cheaper and more flexible.

I used to park at the Holiday Inn, but switched to Mereoak P&R when the HP car park opposite closed, and they put their prices up.

Shinfield Park would probably be quicker for me (and it would stop me being stuffed by the occasional roadworks after night games where they shut J10) but I meet a mate who comes from Basingstoke, and get a group ticket on the bus. That's just £5 for both of us.

I do find it takes a little longer to get home, but not much. Could the surrounding car parks deal with an extra 1000 cars though?

The really sad thing is that when the Madejski opened, there were promises of doing deals with local businesses, yet car park availability (excluding park and ride) is far worse now than it was then.

587 posts