Matt Mills
Bongani Khumalo
Paul Brooker
Mark Reilly
David Meyler
Royston Drenthe
Paul Brayson
Joseph Mendes

Khumalo was so shit we were forced to buy Gorkss and the rest is history. So I can’t be too mad at him.

Similar feelings towards Mendes. He was awful but I can’t dislike him because of that one amazing game against Villa.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Worst ever Reading FC X1

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Apr 2020 22:39

Would you put ‘useless’ De la Cruz in that category?

Personally I wouldn’t, but he also fits your criterion.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 Apr 2020 23:14

Snowflake Royal Simon Sheppard
Liam Rosenior
Paul Bodin
Matt Mills
Bongani Khumalo
Paul Brooker
Mark Reilly
David Meyler
Royston Drenthe
Paul Brayson
Joseph Mendes

Tf is Rosenior doing in there? And while Mills is a villain he was nowhere near the second worst centre back we’ve had in the last ten years.

If we’re sticking to players who have made a decent number of appearances (which admittedly doesn’t describe Mendes or Khumalo) then I think Cooper stands out. Very different sort of player and personality to Mills, easy on the eye, seemed quite a humble chap, but couldn’t actually defend.

I also feel like Akpan has to be in there, but Reilly and Meyler are serious competition. Maybe play him just behind Brayson.

I think people would have more bad things to say about Eric Obinna if he hadn’t played in such a successful side. But then John Halls always comes up in these discussions despite actually playing quite well in the rare occasions he got on the pitch.

We’ve had quite a good run of right backs since Murty. He did come good in the end (or rather in the middle) but Shaun Cummings stands out as the weakest of the bunch. All at sea in his first few appearances, quite good when he later had to cover for Griffin, still good the next season despite some injuries, then pathetically out of his depth in the PL and fell to third choice.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Apr 2020 23:42

SCIAG
Liam Rosenior
Paul Bodin
Matt Mills
Bongani Khumalo
Paul Brooker
Mark Reilly
David Meyler
Royston Drenthe
Paul Brayson
Joseph Mendes

Tf is Rosenior doing in there? And while Mills is a villain he was nowhere near the second worst centre back we’ve had in the last ten years.

If we’re sticking to players who have made a decent number of appearances (which admittedly doesn’t describe Mendes or Khumalo) then I think Cooper stands out. Very different sort of player and personality to Mills, easy on the eye, seemed quite a humble chap, but couldn’t actually defend.

I also feel like Akpan has to be in there, but Reilly and Meyler are serious competition. Maybe play him just behind Brayson.

I think people would have more bad things to say about Eric Obinna if he hadn’t played in such a successful side. But then John Halls always comes up in these discussions despite actually playing quite well in the rare occasions he got on the pitch.

We’ve had quite a good run of right backs since Murty. He did come good in the end (or rather in the middle) but Shaun Cummings stands out as the weakest of the bunch. All at sea in his first few appearances, quite good when he later had to cover for Griffin, still good the next season despite some injuries, then pathetically out of his depth in the PL and fell to third choice.

I hated Rosenior and had a soft spot for Martyn Booty and couldn't remember anything about Andy Gurney... everyone else I can think of has been ok. And I'd take Gunter over Rosenior every day of the week.

Mills was a moron. Every relegation side needs someone with a bit of skill and absolute zero brain to constantly disappoint you. Cooper simply wasn't as bad as you suggest. Elroy Kromheer would waltz into the team ahead of him. As would Zat Knight

Akpan doesn't even come close either. Keith Jones, Ray Houghton, Paul Holsgrove, Jimmy Crawford all gash.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Apr 2020 00:32

Keith Jones? Nah...took too much convenient shit...just our seasonal whipping boy.

Remember more good things than bad tbf....a bit similar to the Rougier love/hate thing.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Apr 2020 01:56

SCIAG
Liam Rosenior
Paul Bodin
Matt Mills
Bongani Khumalo
Paul Brooker
Mark Reilly
David Meyler
Royston Drenthe
Paul Brayson
Joseph Mendes

Mills and Rosenior struck me as two players with a poor attitude, hence their inclusion. Ability wise, neither should be in there, especially Mills who wasn’t even the worst CB we signed the summer he came in (Darren O’Dea anyone)

Don’t get the hate for Mendes, and am genuinely intrigued to hear people’s inclusion of him. Made 3 league starts for us, and in that period, he scored 3 goals, got an assist, and helped get someone sent off 30 seconds into a game. There’s not too much more he can physically do to be honest. He was injury prone but that’s a different matter. In recent years, the likes of Dom Samuel, Yakubu, Appiah, Loader etc etc have surely looked far worse

The Cube

by The Cube » 26 Apr 2020 06:59

Colgan
Gunter Halford O'Shea Gunter
Reilly Meyler Fae Evers
Brayson Martin

All under the "control" of Bullivant.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 26 Apr 2020 08:43

Liam Rosenior
Paul Bodin
Matt Mills
Bongani Khumalo
Paul Brooker
Mark Reilly
David Meyler
Royston Drenthe
Paul Brayson
Joseph Mendes

. Whose Joseph mendes ?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Apr 2020 11:21

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG
Liam Rosenior
Paul Bodin
Matt Mills
Bongani Khumalo
Paul Brooker
Mark Reilly
David Meyler
Royston Drenthe
Paul Brayson
Joseph Mendes

I hated Rosenior and had a soft spot for Martyn Booty and couldn't remember anything about Andy Gurney... everyone else I can think of has been ok. And I'd take Gunter over Rosenior every day of the week.

Mills was a moron. Every relegation side needs someone with a bit of skill and absolute zero brain to constantly disappoint you. Cooper simply wasn't as bad as you suggest. Elroy Kromheer would waltz into the team ahead of him. As would Zat Knight

Akpan doesn't even come close either. Keith Jones, Ray Houghton, Paul Holsgrove, Jimmy Crawford all gash.

When you select Mills over Kromheer I thought you must have decided that anyone from your childhood was too long ago. Although given you selected Brayson and Reilly and Sheppard, that’s obviously not true.

You’ve got Drenthe for “talented but disappointing”. Must admit that I actually quite liked the guy but he should have been so much more.

I’d put Akpan in the worst team ahead of any of those except Crawford who I don’t actually remember. It was always a pleasant surprise when Akpan managed to kick the ball in the direction he was intending. In fact the thing he’s best remembered for is accidentally slicing a shot to set up Le Fondre.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 26 Apr 2020 11:38

Who was that centre forward was it Martin Williams;he had a habit of falling backwards when the ball was played into him.Yeah Keith Scott and Bas are right down there amongst the worst.That said I am trying to remember some names,but we had some right plonkers in the old Div three/four days.I never thought Martin Meaker ? ,was that great either.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Apr 2020 11:48

Snowflake Royal
sandman Simon Sheppard

Greg Halford
Tony Barras
Elroy Kromheer
Marcus Williams

Michail Antonio
Emerse Fae
Sean Evers
Andy McLaren

Paul Brayson
Robert Fleck

Nice PTR bait. :lol:

Not bait, Antonio was sh[i]te when he was here. Fair play to him for what he's done since with an extremely limited base to work from.

P.S. if Ian can have Mills in his team because he just doesn't like him then I'll go for 451 and have Danny Guthrie in mine instead of Robert Fleck.

Not necessarily in the worst team on general shitness but included for being a thoroughly unpleasant piece of shit.

royal67

by royal67 » 26 Apr 2020 11:56

No mention of Mass Sarr yet.....? Surely he'd make the XI...?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 26 Apr 2020 13:45

sandman
Snowflake Royal
sandman Simon Sheppard

Greg Halford
Tony Barras
Elroy Kromheer
Marcus Williams

Michail Antonio
Emerse Fae
Sean Evers
Andy McLaren

Paul Brayson
Robert Fleck

Nice PTR bait. :lol:

Not bait, Antonio was sh[i]te when he was here. Fair play to him for what he's done since with an extremely limited base to work from.

P.S. if Ian can have Mills in his team because he just doesn't like him then I'll go for 451 and have Danny Guthrie in mine instead of Robert Fleck.

Not necessarily in the worst team on general shitness but included for being a thoroughly unpleasant piece of shit.

I feel like "Most disliked ReadingFC XI" deserves another entire thread - I'd start it but I genuinely cannot think of a goalkeeper I'd put in there.

Actually, here's my XI.

Guthrie

Guthrie, Guthrie, Guthrie, Guthrie

Guthrie, Guthrie, Guthrie

Guthrie, Guthrie

Guthrie.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 26 Apr 2020 14:48

Westwood52 Who was that centre forward was it Martin Williams;he had a habit of falling backwards when the ball was played into him.Yeah Keith Scott and Bas are right down there amongst the worst.That said I am trying to remember some names,but we had some right plonkers in the old Div three/four days.I never thought Martin Meaker ? ,was that great either.

A terrible deal with QPR when we got about £1 million for the wonderful Simon Osborn but half of that was used to buy (Michael) Meaker.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2020 15:18

muirinho
sandman
Snowflake Royal Nice PTR bait. :lol:

I feel like "Most disliked ReadingFC XI" deserves another entire thread - I'd start it but I genuinely cannot think of a goalkeeper I'd put in there.

Actually, here's my XI.

Guthrie

Guthrie, Guthrie

Guthrie.

Thinking about it, the majority of my team is the same. Midfield and striker changes it up a bit.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 26 Apr 2020 15:48

GK Sheppard RB Franklin LB Gernon CB Hunter CB Kromheer RW Knight CM Evers CM Elsey LM Meaker CF Brayson CF Scott Subs Van Der Kwaak Whitlock D Wood Bodin Mclaren Crawford Mass Sarr No Captain as it would not make any difference.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Apr 2020 16:50

Surely only Jimmy Kebe would be a serious candidate fir both the worst and best XI’s ? Utterly useless to start with then suddenly achieved god like status.
I guess Blackman might be another butdid anyone think those 10 games were anything other than a complete blip in an otherwise extremely mediocre career....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2020 16:56

Kebe was never that shit though :roll:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Apr 2020 20:30

muirinho
sandman
Snowflake Royal Nice PTR bait. :lol:

Actually, here's my XI.

Guthrie

Guthrie, Guthrie

Guthrie.
+ 1