184 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Huddersfield Town (h) sponsored by Craig Maskell

by Sutekh » 04 Jul 2020 17:46

When : Tuesday 7th July, 6pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

And so Reading take their mid table obscurity and nothing but pride to play for season into a home game against struggling Huddersfield. Sometimes it’s easier to play these sides when there is nothing to play for as players can be more relaxed but equally sometimes it isn’t for the exact same reason.

Huddersfield I’d expect to battle and if they still approach games with a high tempo and high press then Reading may well struggle again and have us all berating players and management alike again. In their last 5 games though, Huddersfield have been beaten 3 times and won just once but that was on their last away trip to an equally mid table and nothing to play for Birmingham so Reading do need to take care in this one.

Karlan Grant is the one to watch for the opposition having bagged 18 :shock: in the league in 38 appearances. Juninho Bacuna and Steve Mounie are the next highest scorers with 6 and 8 respectively therefore goals for Huddersfield come from fairly predictable sources so it’s really a matter of cutting the supply lines to them so I would suggest Rinomhota and Pele both need to start this one.

Reading may have a doubt over Meite who was reported to be limping slightly after the Luton cruise. Miazga is out, serving the last game of his 3 game ban, and Joao is almost but not quite back yet. Yiadom, I believe, is available but short of match fitness.

Referee

Steve Martin is back again.

Previously

05 October 19 > Bristol City 1-0 Reading
13 April 19 > Reading 2-1 Brentford
13 Feb 19 > Reading 2-1 Blackburn Rovers
22 Dec 2018 > Reading 0-1 Middlesbrough
14 Apr 2018 > Reading 2-2 Sunderland
27 Feb 2018 > Nottm Forest 1-1 Reading
11 Dec 2017 > Reading 2-2 Cardiff City
23 Sep 2017 > Reading 1-1 Hull City
26 Aug 2017 > Birmingham City 0-2 Reading
24 Jan 2017 > Reading 1-0 Fulham
15 Oct 2016 > Queen's Park Rangers 1-1 Reading
15 Mar 2016 > Brighton & Hove Albion 1-0 Reading
23 Jan 2016 > Reading 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday
19 Sep 2015 > Bristol City 0-2 Reading
25 Mar 2014 > Reading 1-3 Barnsley

Historically

The first time Reading played Huddersfield was at Elm Park in October 1975, since then then there has been another 21 home league games and, overall, Reading have the edge on by 12 wins to 4 and have scored 34 to the Terrier’s 22. Recently though it’s been anyone’s game with 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats from the last 6 home games.

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Ring/text a mate for updates
  3. Use an iFollow subscription
  4. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Huddersfield Town (h) sponsored by Craig Maskell

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jul 2020 18:11

oxf*rd Steve Martin!!!!!!!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jul 2020 20:16

Always preferred Martin Short.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2020 00:32

So, basically got to be the same XI after a 5-0 win right?

Not convinced by the selection, but can you imagine being dropped after that? Crushing.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2020 11:41

Stranded Always preferred Martin Short.

Pfffft. Next you'll say you like Chevy better too.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2020 11:42

Snowflake Royal So, basically got to be the same XI after a 5-0 win right?

Not convinced by the selection, but can you imagine being dropped after that? Crushing.

Has to be surely. Could be a good message from Bowen too. You perform well you get rewarded.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jul 2020 12:21

Can't see the team changing too much and nor should it really.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Jul 2020 12:28

Same starting line up I hope.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 Jul 2020 13:32

Huddersfield had the sum total of 2 (1) shots on goal yesterday while Preston had 9 (0), that must have been quite some game. I`m very confident about this one.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 05 Jul 2020 14:18

i am hoping we can get past 60 points now with this run in, that would represent a decent season

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jul 2020 15:22

Old Man Andrews Can't see the team changing too much and nor should it really.

While I agree, I could see some changes being made to keep things fresh with continually playing Saturday - Tuesday.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2020 15:56

Sutekh

While I agree, I could see some changes being made to keep things fresh with continually playing Saturday - Tuesday.

Win this next one and Boro have to get 11 points from 6 games for us to go down. Play the same team and it doesn't matter who we play for the next 4.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jul 2020 17:56

Sutekh

Possibly yes. Certainly wouldn't change the defence for Tuesday.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 05 Jul 2020 17:59

thanks

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Jul 2020 18:17

I wouldn't mind the team being changed as long as we keep the midfield balanced, the midfield 3 of DM, workhorse and AM worked very well against Luton.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Jul 2020 21:34

I agree not changing the team too much. I think the only change I'd make is Osho maybe although he's likely to be here next season so wouldn't be against playing the same team for 1 more game! I think it'd be a bit unfair dropping anyone after Saturday. I'd bring Miazga back in for Charlton though for Osho and Yiadom for McIntyre. Both probably aren't quite ready to play week in week out.

I thought the midfield balance was there at Luton and allowed us to create lots of chances. Hopefully we can convert it to a more successful formula in our home fixtures.

Tuesday is a fairly difficult game but we really should be winning it! Nick the first goal and we should win comfortably. If they score first they'll put 10 men behind the ball and it'll be hard to get back into it.
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 05 Jul 2020 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jul 2020 21:39

Royal_jimmy I agree not changing the team too much. I think the only change I'd make is Osho maybe although he's likely to be here next season so wouldn't be against playing the same team for 1 more game! I think it'd be a bit unfair dropping anyone after Saturday. I'd bring Miazga back in for Charlton though for Osho and Yiadom for McIntyre. Both probably aren't quite ready to play week in week out.

I thought the midfield balance was there at Luton and allowed us to create lots of chances. Hopefully we can convert it to a more successful formula in our home fixtures.

The young lads are going to need to get used to it as they will more than likely be first choice next season with our finances the way they are. No better time to give them exposure than when we have a few meaningless games left of this season. No pressure on them, time to learn and prepare for when we really need them next season.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Jul 2020 21:43

Old Man Andrews
Royal_jimmy I agree not changing the team too much. I think the only change I'd make is Osho maybe although he's likely to be here next season so wouldn't be against playing the same team for 1 more game! I think it'd be a bit unfair dropping anyone after Saturday. I'd bring Miazga back in for Charlton though for Osho and Yiadom for McIntyre. Both probably aren't quite ready to play week in week out.

The young lads are going to need to get used to it as they will more than likely be first choice next season with our finances the way they are. No better time to give them exposure than when we have a few meaningless games left of this season. No pressure on them, time to learn and prepare for when we really need them next season.

I really can't see Osho playing every week next season. McIntyre may play quite a lot of games though. Truth is we don't know who we can afford to bring in. If we sell Puscas and Swift for £6m each and Moore for £3m I can imagine we'll sign 2 centre backs so we have 5 on the books including Osho and McIntyre. That way they won't have to be thrown in the deep end.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jul 2020 21:48

Royal_jimmy
Old Man Andrews

I really can't see Osho playing every week next season. McIntyre may play quite a lot of games though. Truth is we don't know who we can afford to bring in. If we sell Puscas and Swift for £6m each and Moore for £3m I can imagine we'll sign 2 centre backs so we have 5 on the books including Osho and McIntyre. That way they won't have to be thrown in the deep end.

It is risky but I would much rather we go back to the "Reading way". Rather than spending money on players who may or may not be good signings let's give our talented younger players a shot at it. Our supporters love nothing more than seeing young players in the side doing well and I think they will do just fine based on what I've seen of them. Can't see us going up or down next season so I'd rather we build the foundations for the future rather than bringing in PL rejects or unknown foreign players.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Jul 2020 23:04

Old Man Andrews
Royal_jimmy
Old Man Andrews The young lads are going to need to get used to it as they will more than likely be first choice next season with our finances the way they are. No better time to give them exposure than when we have a few meaningless games left of this season. No pressure on them, time to learn and prepare for when we really need them next season.

It is risky but I would much rather we go back to the "Reading way". Rather than spending money on players who may or may not be good signings let's give our talented younger players a shot at it. Our supporters love nothing more than seeing young players in the side doing well and I think they will do just fine based on what I've seen of them. Can't see us going up or down next season so I'd rather we build the foundations for the future rather than bringing in PL rejects or unknown foreign players.

Agree we need to be making full use of the academy at the moment. But I am sure we'll add to the defence. McIntyre is definitely one we should look to be giving regular game time to and should be no lower than 3rd choice, if not 2nd choice. If Oxford don't come up I'd try get Rob Dickie back in as well if Moore goes. His wages would be pretty low and he knows the club. Failing that, get a freebie in from one of the championship teams like we did with Morrison last summer so some extra experience is there. We definitely miss a Matt Mills or Kaspars Gorkss style of defender who can bag 5 goals a season from corners. The potential hallmarks of a highly talented defence is there, especially if we have Dickie back with Osho as 4th choice.

184 posts