Squad for 2020/21

1016 posts
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Squad for 2020/21

by tidus_mi2 » 27 Jul 2020 16:22

It did look like McCleary was looking for a bit of a reaction by mentioning he was told over the phone his contract wouldn't be renewed even though he knew it was coming and chose to take a holiday over the period in which his contract expired.

He's had me blocked on Twitter since I was critical to his bog standard "we go again" message after we got tanked 7-1 by Norwich so to me he's always come across as a bit thin skinned.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Jul 2020 16:32

Simmops
Old Man Andrews What a bloody cry baby McCleary is.

Flesh this out a bit for us champ.

Never just seen it.

Moaning that the club told him via phone whilst he was on holiday. What was it he wanted them to do exactly or expected?

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 27 Jul 2020 16:46

Guess I'm in the minority but I did think that after 8 years and however many games Gunter and Mccleary might get a bit more of a send-off from the club than a paragraph on the website alongside Adam and Blackett.

See what Spurs did for Vertonghen and Vorm

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Jul 2020 17:03

Old Man Andrews
Nameless

Why ?
If you are commenting on his remarks about leaving I think you are totally misrepresenting them....

He was crying because he was told about it on holiday by phone, it's a fact.

No that is your interpretation.

It doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.

He said that he didn’t expect his career at Reading to end like this. Which is fair comment. He would have wanted to have walks round the pitch with his kids and said goodbye properly. Which isn’t possible.
He would have known weeks ago that he was leaving, if you are out of contract and there is no new contract then it’s not something that is going to be a big surprise.
His comments don’t say he is angry, or annoyed, or feels badly treated. He’s obviously disappointed that his time here has ended with a bit of a whimper but I suspect Gunter and Obita feel the same. I hope they come back next season either in an opposition shirt or as a guest so we can say a decent farewell.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 27 Jul 2020 17:23

Old Man Andrews
Simmops

Never just seen it.

Moaning that the club told him via phone whilst he was on holiday. What was it he wanted them to do exactly or expected?

Probably a meeting in the office before he oxf*rd off I suppose.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 Jul 2020 17:56

Simmops
Old Man Andrews
Simmops

Never just seen it.

Probably a meeting in the office before he oxf*rd off I suppose.

To discuss what. By the time he returns from holiday. Pre season may well have started. Fresh group no baggage.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 Jul 2020 18:00

PistolPete
royalp-we Can’t really call Araruna ‘deadwood’. Unfortunately, like Boye and others, (ie Carrico), these players have risen through some of the best academies in world football and just haven’t been utilised correctly by Reading. They’ll all go on to do very well for themselves.

Agree, harsh to call Araruna deadwood.

Would appear to lack physicality for a CDM at Championship level.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 27 Jul 2020 18:40

Lower West
PistolPete
royalp-we Can’t really call Araruna ‘deadwood’. Unfortunately, like Boye and others, (ie Carrico), these players have risen through some of the best academies in world football and just haven’t been utilised correctly by Reading. They’ll all go on to do very well for themselves.

Agree, harsh to call Araruna deadwood.

Would appear to lack physicality for a CDM at Championship level.

He has 6 weeks to learn as we may need him there next season. its all well and good saying Moore can play there but if one of Mcintyre or Morrison become injured someone has got to fill the gap. so M&M or M&M at centre back this is making me hungry.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 27 Jul 2020 20:56

Right.

Call Bowen, I've done his work for him.

3-5-2 Wolves style

GK - Cabral, Southwood
DC - Morrison, Moore, McIntyre, Osho, Holmes
WBR - Yiadom, Valery
WBL - A Robinson, Richards
DMC - Williams, Araruna
MC - Rino, Laurent, Olise, Holsgrove,
SC - Joao, L Taylor, Baldock, McNulty,

Cash in on Swift, Puscas and Meite - Moore if we can, but I doubt it. (Those are arguably our best 4 players, but we're skint and they allow us to build the team that Bowen wants). Don't sign Ejaria because, although he's a monster talent, we no longer appear to want to play a style that supports him. Laurent I'm very unconvinced by, but it looks a done deal so he's in. Lyle Taylor (grew up in Staines, which is basically Berkshire) from Charlton will easily replace Puscas and come on a free (albeit probably for a very decent wage).

Use the cash to buy Robinson (we've needed a US international for a while) and Williams from Wigan (both have relegation release clauses) and loan Yann Valery from Southampton (currently very much out of favour) to compete with Yiadom for the right wing back role.

We could get nearly £20m from the 4 players listed above, Robinson (£1.5), Williams (£1.5) and Taylor (0) would leave us with some money for January when we know who the new manager is :lol:

Honestly, that set of players is a little lacking in championship quality, but would provide a very good base without a lot of risk.
Last edited by PistolPete on 28 Jul 2020 09:54, edited 1 time in total.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 28 Jul 2020 03:46

With wages over 200% and up against a wall on FFP, there was only one way to do this and that was get rid then rebuild which is, more or less, where we find ourselves within a week of season’s end.

This was desperately needed if we ever want to get back to the financial stability of those far off days when the chairman used to say, player’s wages, player’s wages and player’s wages were the 3 main things wrong with football.

It says everything about our current plight that one young right back was sold to lower league cup rivals and now we’re sweating on another staying having let his contract expire, yet we’ve only just stopped paying 30+ Gunter at least 20k a week when, on merit, he was probably 3rd choice when he left. This is how you end up with a 200% wage bill :|

At last, sanity is starting to prevail and when at least one of Swift and Moore has been sold we will have the means to start the next campaign with a regular sized squad and not the expensively bloated variety we’ve seen for far too long.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 28 Jul 2020 12:29

PistolPete Right.

3-5-2 Wolves style

GK - Cabral, Southwood
WBR - Yiadom, Valery
DMC - Williams, Araruna

Cash in on Swift, Puscas and Meite - Moore if we can, but I doubt it. (Those are arguably our best 4 players, but we're skint and they allow us to build the team that Bowen wants). Don't sign Ejaria because, although he's a monster talent, we no longer appear to want to play a style that supports him. Laurent I'm very unconvinced by, but it looks a done deal so he's in. Lyle Taylor (grew up in Staines, which is basically Berkshire) from Charlton will easily replace Puscas and come on a free (albeit probably for a very decent wage).

Use the cash to buy Robinson (we've needed a US international for a while) and Williams from Wigan (both have relegation release clauses) and loan Yann Valery from Southampton (currently very much out of favour) to compete with Yiadom for the right wing back role.

We could get nearly £20m from the 4 players listed above, Robinson (£1.5), Williams (£1.5) and Taylor (0) would leave us with some money for January when we know who the new manager is :lol:

Honestly, that set of players is a little lacking in championship quality, but would provide a very good base without a lot of risk.

I never thought I would be wanting to rob Wigan but there are a fair few players I would have out of there team who would do a job for us and they do seem to be a spirited bunch. I agree with Robinson but also Lowe, Morsy, Dunkley, Moore and Windass who was on loan at Wednesday and scored 7 would all slot into our squad. I know we wont buy them all but they are all in need of being sold to save the club and they would be affordable wages wise.
sell Moore and Swift and bring in this lot :)

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Jul 2020 13:38

linkenholtroyal
PistolPete Right.

3-5-2 Wolves style

GK - Cabral, Southwood
WBR - Yiadom, Valery
DMC - Williams, Araruna

I never thought I would be wanting to rob Wigan but there are a fair few players I would have out of there team who would do a job for us and they do seem to be a spirited bunch. I agree with Robinson but also Lowe, Morsy, Dunkley, Moore and Windass who was on loan at Wednesday and scored 7 would all slot into our squad. I know we wont buy them all but they are all in need of being sold to save the club and they would be affordable wages wise.

Wouldn’t have a Windass in the club any more than I’d have a Futcher or a Warnock. Somethings are too important to compromise on.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Jul 2020 16:56

linkenholtroyal
PistolPete Right.

3-5-2 Wolves style

GK - Cabral, Southwood
WBR - Yiadom, Valery
DMC - Williams, Araruna

I know Yiadom turned out ok and Wigan was a slightly unusual situation but don’t think we should make a habit of raiding too many players form relegated sides.

Agree that I’d not be entirely happy taking Windass - but people can’t help who their fathers were.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jul 2020 17:13

Yeah, be careful who you raid.

It's not a problem raiding someone like Rotherham on relegation for a standout player because they're in a weak team and have potentially experienced a promotion and a relegation.

But you want to avoid players from perennial strugglers and teams on their second relegation in a row. Because they're probably part of the problem or a bit damaged by the experience.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Jul 2020 17:25

SCIAG

Agree that I’d not be entirely happy taking Windass - but people can’t help who their fathers were.

You seriously saying that if you found out Dean Windass was your dad you wouldn’t be fillingin adoption papers straight away ?
It’s a glorious Reading tradition to hold irrational grudges against multiple generations for reasons we can’t quite fully recall....

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 28 Jul 2020 17:34

SCIAG
linkenholtroyal
PistolPete Right.

3-5-2 Wolves style

GK - Cabral, Southwood
WBR - Yiadom, Valery
DMC - Williams, Araruna

I know Yiadom turned out ok and Wigan was a slightly unusual situation but don’t think we should make a habit of raiding too many players form relegated sides.

Wigan were relegated for financial reasons, they actually won more points than us!

Antonee Robinson and Joe Williams would be upgrades for us, no doubt

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 28 Jul 2020 21:01

PistolPete
SCIAG
linkenholtroyal

Wigan were relegated for financial reasons, they actually won more points than us!

Good point

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jul 2020 07:57

SouthDownsRoyal
PistolPete
SCIAG I know Yiadom turned out ok and Wigan was a slightly unusual situation but don’t think we should make a habit of raiding too many players form relegated sides.

Good point

Going after a few Wigan players would be a good move for us. Look at how they reacted to adversity, they clearly have a bit of fight in them and put together a string of cracking results. We need that sort of mentality within our sqaud.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jul 2020 08:15

I'm sorry but do people actually think we can get Antonee Robinson??? Get your heads out of the sand.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2020 08:36

was it AC Milan who were in for him in Jan?

Definitely some other options there. Morsy I like and has been mentioned as well.

I think they were the best side except Brentford I watched last season strangely. They murdered us that day

1016 posts