Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Spending close to double income = not in the cheap

2019/20 spent 31 million. Made 36 million
2018/19 spent 5 million. Made 25 million
2017/18 spent 5 million. Made 13 million
2016/17 spent 4.5 million. Made 13 million
2015/16 spent 9 million. Made 23 million

If you don't see that as successful ong term planning and smart investment in players and think that is a model that cannot be successfully replicated then I dont know what to say. New stadium built too so focusing on profit during this time is a false perspective. They have cracked the system.

oxf*rd sake Seth, you can't measure the success of a financial model on transfer fees in and out.

It doesn't matter if they make 7 million percent profit on all their transfer dealings if they still spend over their income on wages and end up with an overall loss most seasons.

Forget transfer fees.

But their losses were something like 4 million in 2017/18 and 3 million in 2016/17 while building a stadium, signing players and handing out new contracts before making a 20-25 million profit the next season. Their matchday income is nothing. Basically nothing. They make pretty much all their money through player salesso of course i will judge it on that.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Confimred loan - Ovie Ejaria

by Simon's Church » 31 Jul 2020 14:55

Brentfords wage bill for the 2 years 2017-2019 matched what we spent just in 2017/18.

Nobody makes money in the championship, but they're a hell of a lot more secure on and off the pitch than most league clubs.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 31 Jul 2020 15:12

Risk of nostalgia goggles, but we seemed to get much better results when we constantly sold players to fill the “black hole” than we do now, when we don’t have to sell players and the hole just keeps getting bigger.

Could be to do with Coppell and McDermott. Could also be because limited resources meant we were focused on signing the right players, rather than just any players? Think how we carefully spent the Gylfi money on Zurab and Harte, or how we replaced Mills and Long with Gorkss and Le Fondre. None of this buying players who we don’t know how to fit into the team.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jul 2020 15:22

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth 2019/20 spent 31 million. Made 36 million
2018/19 spent 5 million. Made 25 million
2017/18 spent 5 million. Made 13 million
2016/17 spent 4.5 million. Made 13 million
2015/16 spent 9 million. Made 23 million

If you don't see that as successful ong term planning and smart investment in players and think that is a model that cannot be successfully replicated then I dont know what to say. New stadium built too so focusing on profit during this time is a false perspective. They have cracked the system.

oxf*rd sake Seth, you can't measure the success of a financial model on transfer fees in and out.

It doesn't matter if they make 7 million percent profit on all their transfer dealings if they still spend over their income on wages and end up with an overall loss most seasons.

Forget transfer fees.

But their losses were something like 4 million in 2017/18 and 3 million in 2016/17 while building a stadium, signing players and handing out new contracts before making a 20-25 million profit the next season. Their matchday income is nothing. Basically nothing. They make pretty much all their money through player salesso of course i will judge it on that.

Great, ok. You can make money in football by spending it, providing you ignore everything other than transfer fees and that you actually lose money.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Jul 2020 15:24

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal oxf*rd sake Seth, you can't measure the success of a financial model on transfer fees in and out.

Forget transfer fees.

Great, ok. You can make money in football by spending it, providing you ignore everything other than transfer fees and that you actually lose money.

I would take losing 9 million over 2 years and making 25 million the year after. Net gains..

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 01 Aug 2020 03:31

Unfortunately this is Hobnob.

Back in the real world your case makes perfect sense.

If Brentford’s strategy doesn’t amount to sound financial stability in the crazy world of football finance, God knows what that says about all those fretting over points deductions as the bulldozers arrive at Griffin Park and Brentford start next season in the EPL with a brand new stadium :lol:

Their transfer policy in recent years has been sensational whereas we have off loaded one young left back and let another’s contract expire while many were advocating keeping Gunter, FFS. This is how you up at the wrong end of the table with point deductions.

With Brentford’s transfer policy and fully utilising the product of our excellent academy, we wouldn’t be anywhere near where we find ourselves.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Aug 2020 07:38

Woodcote Royal Unfortunately this is Hobnob.

If Brentford’s strategy doesn’t amount to sound financial stability in the crazy world of football finance, God knows what that says about all those fretting over points deductions as the bulldozers arrive at Griffin Park and Brentford start next season in the EPL with a brand new stadium :lol:

Their transfer policy in recent years has been sensational whereas we have off loaded one young left back and let another’s contract expire while many were advocating keeping Gunter, FFS. This is how you up at the wrong end of the table with point deductions.

With Brentford’s transfer policy and fully utilising the product of our excellent academy, we wouldn’t be anywhere near where we find ourselves.

Glad to know I'm not alone.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Aug 2020 10:23

NewCorkSeth

I would just lke to point out that I never disagreed that the Brentford model works, I just pointed out they do sign players for relatively large sums of money and that their model is NOT a picture of finacial stability. It only works whilst they have a good run in the transfer market. Sign a few duds and their wage bill, transfer fees paid and low revenue will soon run up big losses. In fact they only made a profit in the last season due to the sale of Griffin Park. And the preceeding few seasons were all losses. Sure it is a far better model than we currently, but it is not a sure bet in terms of making a profit. They are just on a good run backed up by excellent scouting.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Aug 2020 11:58

I also never said their model doesn't work.

I disagreed that they consistently make money, that even if they did that's one club out of 24 so the argument that spend to make money just doesn't hold up in football, or that we'd be following their model by spending £3m we don't have on Ejaria.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Aug 2020 12:25

I also didn't say it didn't work.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Aug 2020 12:27

Pepe the Horseman I also didn't say it didn't work.

Liar x

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Aug 2020 12:37

NewCorkSeth
Pepe the Horseman I also didn't say it didn't work.

Liar x

I din't say nuttin to nobody.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 01 Aug 2020 23:40

Wycombe Royal
NewCorkSeth

I would just lke to point out that I never disagreed that the Brentford model works, I just pointed out they do sign players for relatively large sums of money and that their model is NOT a picture of finacial stability. It only works whilst they have a good run in the transfer market. Sign a few duds and their wage bill, transfer fees paid and low revenue will soon run up big losses.

The problem with that is that you make it sound like they just got lucky.

They have a scouting network that knows what it's looking for. We have agents recommending players that are on their books.

They concentrate on getting players who are value for money. We concentrate at getting players in, whatever the cost.

They look for players likely to improve and have a good sell-on value. We look for players whose clubs are trying to offload them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Aug 2020 07:55

It's more that all it takes is a bit of bad luck than they're succeeding through luck.

But you'd have to say they got a bit lucky to have two players at once to sell quite so big.

The point remains that just coughing up for Ejaria isn't really their model.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Aug 2020 08:08

Didn’t they try to sign him last summer for 3m?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 02 Aug 2020 08:56

Snowflake Royal It's more that all it takes is a bit of bad luck than they're succeeding through luck.

But you'd have to say they got a bit lucky to have two players at once to sell quite so big.

Buying with a view to selling on will never be a guaranteed revenue source, but it definitely helps. It'll also keep the wage bill lower too. A player coming up from League One won't have such high salary demands as a premier league back-up player.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Aug 2020 09:36

Hound Didn’t they try to sign him last summer for 3m?

Thats a bingo.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Aug 2020 10:23

tmesis
Snowflake Royal It's more that all it takes is a bit of bad luck than they're succeeding through luck.

Buying with a view to selling on will never be a guaranteed revenue source, but it definitely helps. It'll also keep the wage bill lower too. A player coming up from League One won't have such high salary demands as a premier league back-up player.

Absolutely.

It's what makes Aluko such a terrible signing. Hit miss player at best, age meant no resale value and length of contract meant no way to move him on if he fails.

But, if you can't afford someone, it doesn't matter whether they'd be a good investment. You can't afford them.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 02 Aug 2020 10:28

The Brentford model is a good one and would be nice if we adopted similar.

They’ve done well but it’s also by no means a guaranteed model that works forever, although they do very well scouting and buying players an they need at good prices no one can ever know you buy a player for X million and he will be good for your club then you sell him for X million more job done.

If it was that easy loads of clubs would be doing it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Aug 2020 11:50

I think their scouting is very much XG based or something if i remember rightly. Basically look through the leagues for who is undervalued compared to that

368 posts