Squad for 2020/21

1016 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Squad for 2020/21

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Aug 2020 11:18

Sutekh
South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal No idea whether he knew about it, but the same guy.

In the 90s and 00s Crewe had a fantastic reputation and success rate got developing young players. Their entire approach was based on snaffling up promising youngsters who hadn't quite made it at the top youth teams, developing them into first team players and selling for a big profit.

Dean Ashton springs to mind as one... not 100% I got his surname right.

Robbie Savage
Danny Murphy
etc., etc

David Platt
Rob Jones

Not forgetting CM mainstay and Rev. William Spooner's favourite player, Kenny Lunt, who incidentally, is now Assistant Manager at Crewe.

Anyone remember Richie Partridge? Ex Liverpool winger who we as fans were so desparate to sign after a great season on loan at Coventry back in 2002 that in the Watford fans site BS&D, season preview, we nominated him as our first choice RW even though he never actually joined us.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 18 Aug 2020 11:37

From Despair To Where?
Sutekh
South Coast Royal
Robbie Savage
Danny Murphy
etc., etc

David Platt
Rob Jones

Not forgetting CM mainstay and Rev. William Spooner's favourite player, Kenny Lunt, who incidentally, is now Assistant Manager at Crewe.

Anyone remember Richie Partridge? Ex Liverpool winger who we as fans were so desparate to sign after a great season on loan at Coventry back in 2002 that in the Watford fans site BS&D, season preview, we nominated him as our first choice RW even though he never actually joined us.

Lunt was another good passer of the ball.
Having said earlier that Crewe are renowned for producing good passers/ ball players they did of course have a real exception in Dele Adebola.

Not name-dropping but.........I remember having a conversation with Harry Redknapp where he told me that he had been seriously looking at Dele Adebola at Crewe as a striker for West Ham.
I did my best to try and persuade him to buy the much quicker Carl Asaba instead-he didn't sign either..

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 18 Aug 2020 11:52

JLow is reporting-

Reading have been linked with a move for another Liverpool midfielder ahead of the new season, winger Sheyi Ojo.

Ojo is a 23 year old who came through the ranks at the Reds.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Aug 2020 11:54

morganb JLow is reporting-

Reading have been linked with a move for another Liverpool midfielder ahead of the new season, winger Sheyi Ojo.

He didn't report anything. He lifted the information from a different news source and passed it off as his own.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 18 Aug 2020 12:04

Anyone know if he is any good?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Aug 2020 12:04

NewCorkSeth

No JLow is awful!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 18 Aug 2020 12:06

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth

No JLow is awful!

Well I knew that.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 18 Aug 2020 12:11

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth

No JLow is awful!

Lol

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 18 Aug 2020 12:30

Old Man Andrews

He didn't report anything. He lifted the information from a different news source and passed it off as his own.

He does trawl through all the crap and put it in one place for me so he does have some sort of use i spose.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Aug 2020 12:39

linkenholtroyal
Old Man Andrews

He does trawl through all the crap and put it in one place for me so he does have some sort of use i spose.

Yeah that is fair. He is pretty much like a Twitter supporters secretary.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Aug 2020 13:09

Old Man Andrews
linkenholtroyal
Old Man Andrews He didn't report anything. He lifted the information from a different news source and passed it off as his own.

guess thats pretty much all he can do being as the club dont give him anything to feed on

Don't think Ojo has done a lot on loan elsewhere but not really followed him that much. Seem to remember him at Fulham maybe....I'll go and check

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Aug 2020 13:11

Hound
Old Man Andrews
linkenholtroyal He does trawl through all the crap and put it in one place for me so he does have some sort of use i spose.

guess thats pretty much all he can do being as the club dont give him anything to feed on

Don't think Ojo has done a lot on loan elsewhere but not really followed him that much. Seem to remember him at Fulham maybe....I'll go and check

No club gives anyone anything. You have to use your nous and connections to get ahead in that line of work, see Charles Watts. JLow knows nothing about football, has no affinitiy to the club and isn't suited to the role. Nice guy but we deserve better.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Aug 2020 08:45

linkenholtroyal
Old Man Andrews

That is essentally what the majority of journalists do - sift through the stories on the AP and Reuters wires and make a call on what will be of interest to their readers then tweak the story accordingly and publish. The number of "proper" journalists, esp as local level is ever dwindling.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Aug 2020 09:56

he does seem to get the odd interview tbf. McNulty this week, Holsgrove last.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 20 Aug 2020 09:05

PistolPete Right.

Call Bowen, I've done his work for him.

3-5-2 Wolves style

GK - Cabral, Southwood
DC - Morrison, Moore, McIntyre, Osho, Holmes
WBR - Yiadom, Valery
WBL - A Robinson, Richards
DMC - Williams, Araruna
MC - Rino, Laurent, Olise, Holsgrove,
SC - Joao, L Taylor, Baldock, McNulty,

Cash in on Swift, Puscas and Meite - Moore if we can, but I doubt it. (Those are arguably our best 4 players, but we're skint and they allow us to build the team that Bowen wants). Don't sign Ejaria because, although he's a monster talent, we no longer appear to want to play a style that supports him. Laurent I'm very unconvinced by, but it looks a done deal so he's in. Lyle Taylor (grew up in Staines, which is basically Berkshire) from Charlton will easily replace Puscas and come on a free (albeit probably for a very decent wage).

Use the cash to buy Robinson (we've needed a US international for a while) and Williams from Wigan (both have relegation release clauses) and loan Yann Valery from Southampton (currently very much out of favour) to compete with Yiadom for the right wing back role.

We could get nearly £20m from the 4 players listed above, Robinson (£1.5), Williams (£1.5) and Taylor (0) would leave us with some money for January when we know who the new manager is :lol:

Honestly, that set of players is a little lacking in championship quality, but would provide a very good base without a lot of risk.

So, it seems Bowen and the transfers committee have been a bit slow on acting to my advice :(

Joe Williams has just signed for Bristol City for £2.5m; I expect him to be worth 2 or 3 times that by the end of the season.

Lyle Taylor has signed for Forrest on a free, Fulham are about to confirm Robinson for £1.9m.

Oh well, let’s hope we’ve got some good alternatives up our sleeve!

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 20 Aug 2020 10:05

Old Man Andrews
Hound
Old Man Andrews Yeah that is fair. He is pretty much like a Twitter supporters secretary.

No club gives anyone anything. You have to use your nous and connections to get ahead in that line of work, see Charles Watts. JLow knows nothing about football, has no affinitiy to the club and isn't suited to the role. Nice guy but we deserve better.

I mean really what is the point in his Q&A lunchtime sessions? It’s just a repeat of lots of similar questions with his standard answer of, “yes that would be a good idea, I guess we’ll find out sooner or later”. The Q&A is a good idea, but it should be Q&O...Questions & JLow’s opinion. There’s never any answers. Save yourself the effort mate!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Aug 2020 10:07

PistolPete
PistolPete Right.

Call Bowen, I've done his work for him.

3-5-2 Wolves style

GK - Cabral, Southwood
DC - Morrison, Moore, McIntyre, Osho, Holmes
WBR - Yiadom, Valery
WBL - A Robinson, Richards
DMC - Williams, Araruna
MC - Rino, Laurent, Olise, Holsgrove,
SC - Joao, L Taylor, Baldock, McNulty,

Cash in on Swift, Puscas and Meite - Moore if we can, but I doubt it. (Those are arguably our best 4 players, but we're skint and they allow us to build the team that Bowen wants). Don't sign Ejaria because, although he's a monster talent, we no longer appear to want to play a style that supports him. Laurent I'm very unconvinced by, but it looks a done deal so he's in. Lyle Taylor (grew up in Staines, which is basically Berkshire) from Charlton will easily replace Puscas and come on a free (albeit probably for a very decent wage).

Use the cash to buy Robinson (we've needed a US international for a while) and Williams from Wigan (both have relegation release clauses) and loan Yann Valery from Southampton (currently very much out of favour) to compete with Yiadom for the right wing back role.

We could get nearly £20m from the 4 players listed above, Robinson (£1.5), Williams (£1.5) and Taylor (0) would leave us with some money for January when we know who the new manager is :lol:

Honestly, that set of players is a little lacking in championship quality, but would provide a very good base without a lot of risk.

So, it seems Bowen and the transfers committee have been a bit slow on acting to my advice :(

Joe Williams has just signed for Bristol City for £2.5m; I expect him to be worth 2 or 3 times that by the end of the season.

Lyle Taylor has signed for Forrest on a free, Fulham are about to confirm Robinson for £1.9m.

Oh well, let’s hope we’ve got some good alternatives up our sleeve!

I suspect Joe Williams will get relegated again..

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Aug 2020 10:08

Notts Royal
Old Man Andrews
Hound

I mean really what is the point in his Q&A lunchtime sessions? It’s just a repeat of lots of similar questions with his standard answer of, “yes that would be a good idea, I guess we’ll find out sooner or later”. The Q&A is a good idea, but it should be Q&O...Questions & JLow’s opinion. There’s never any answers. Save yourself the effort mate!

Clicks for their online local rag, all it is. There are supporters who believe JLow knows what he is talking about too which is scary. Nice guy but knows nothing about the club really, has no contacts and gets his rumours from Twitter.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 20 Aug 2020 12:23

Old Man Andrews
Notts Royal
Old Man Andrews No club gives anyone anything. You have to use your nous and connections to get ahead in that line of work, see Charles Watts. JLow knows nothing about football, has no affinitiy to the club and isn't suited to the role. Nice guy but we deserve better.

Clicks for their online local rag, all it is. There are supporters who believe JLow knows what he is talking about too which is scary. Nice guy but knows nothing about the club really, has no contacts and gets his rumours from Twitter.

Yup clicks for the local rag and importantly for the,, the adverts on the pages

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 20 Aug 2020 14:10

I read Baldock absent from training but not clear if it’s injury related.

What are people’s thoughts on Marc McNulty? Worth giving him a go this season?

1016 posts