BFiFollow - Colchester

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFiFollow - Colchester

by Sutekh » 05 Sep 2020 17:48

Veljko apparently selected the starting XI though Eddie and John took charge during the game.

Poor first half, struggled to show anything very much against a useful looking Colchester and deservedly fell behind. Thankful for Joao being fit and getting the club back into things in injury time with only the second attempt on target.

Good tactical change at half time to take off McNulty and bring on Rinomhota and suddenly there was more tempo and more bite going forward. Colchester didn’t seem to have an answer to the change and barely threatened throughout the half.

Reading looked bright thereafter, as they should for a team two levels above the opposition, but there are still going to be plenty of questions to answer once playing other Championship teams.

Joao easily motm.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFiFollow - Colchester

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Sep 2020 18:13

I missed a large part of the match, how was Araruna?

Olise looked stellar from what I saw and Laurent looks exactly what was advertised. Hard working with good power.

Joao is the shit.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 05 Sep 2020 18:42

Past caring after I saw the team, second string defence/midfield - at least we had a decent attack.

Not sure this was the way to go for the first match of a new manager.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 05 Sep 2020 18:48

Yes definitely concerning that Pauno picked that side...hopefully he’s not another manager who likes to play players out of position but it’s not a great start. It’s going to take him a while to learn about his players and how to deploy them, which isn’t really ideal so close to the start of the league season.

Just as well we have enough quality to not be dragged into a relegation fight. We will see

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 05 Sep 2020 18:56

Notts Royal Yes definitely concerning that Pauno picked that side...hopefully he’s not another manager who likes to play players out of position but it’s not a great start. It’s going to take him a while to learn about his players and how to deploy them, which isn’t really ideal so close to the start of the league season.

Just as well we have enough quality to not be dragged into a relegation fight. We will see

LOL famous last words.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2020 19:31

Interesting side with some fairly obvious flaws to it. Can't read much into it being a cup game against L2 opposition and the first game of a new manager who only met the players about a week ago, if that.

Southwood - 7 one error of judgement bowling the ball out to Morro and putting him in trouble, at least one decent save, no chance with the goal
Araruna - 7 beautiful cross for the first goal, decent performance but seemed to go awol a lot towards the end. Tended to play quite high, which leaves me worried about gaps in behind. Though if Rino and Laurent play they can cover that fairly well. Swift, Ejaria or Olise in deeper and it could be a problem
Bristow - 6 quiet start and not hugely tested, but grew into the game and some nice moments later on
Moore - 7 much what you'd expect
Morrison - 7 not hugely tested
Laurent - 6/7 very quiet first half, grew into it when Rino came on, couple of decent chances he didn't put away
Olise - 6/8 quiet first half playing deeper and more cautiously, moved forward second half and was much much better
Aluko - 6 he was ok, but everything he did Olise did better. Petulant strop at McNulty early on, threw himself on the ground, pulled out of challenges, dwelt on the ball, bending in nice crosses no where near the strikers and then vanished second half... 5th manager giving him a chance he's repeatedly proved he doesn't deserve
McNulty - 5 out of position, passing wasn't quite there, wasn't really his day, not likely to get a look in with the competition. Still think there's something there but he's not making it hard to sideline him
Baldock - 6 hard working, did ok but didn't have a huge impact
Joao - 10 completely transforms the side with his ability to finish, touch, work rate and strength

Rinomhota - 8 transformed the side when he came on. Him and Laurent are so important to the side, we play so slow without them driving forward and getting stuck in. Some loose moments though
Richards - 6 didn't notice him much but did fine, nearly scored... not played in his position so doesn't mean a lot
Melvin-Lambert - N/A not on long enough or involved enough to rate, but got a chance and wasn't far off putting it away

All in all, it looked like much the same Reading as ever. Wholly dependent on one or two players to perform well.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 05 Sep 2020 19:42

Totally agree with the line up today - it was only right that Paunovic took the opportunity to cast his eye over Aluko / Baldock / McNulty and I can only really see him wanting to keep Aluko of the three following that game. It was also a great opportunity to hand out some academy debuts and every one of them did well today.

It had the aire of a pre season friendly, but it was a test and there were lots of positives. Plenty of Championship teams lost to lower league opposition today, the lads did well.

We’ll see a stronger, more experienced line up next weekend with Rafael, Yiadom, McIntyre, Swift, Ejaria, Meite, Puscas etc returning.

Really looking forward to a tough game at Pride Park and glad we got to see a glimpse of Southwood, Bristow and Melvin-Lambert, they all looked capable understudies. A few more signings in key positions and this could be a decent season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Sep 2020 20:05

Notts Royal Yes definitely concerning that Pauno picked that side...hopefully he’s not another manager who likes to play players out of position but it’s not a great start. It’s going to take him a while to learn about his players and how to deploy them, which isn’t really ideal so close to the start of the league season.

He gave fringe players a chance in a competition renowned as one where fringe players get a chance. Based on today for example, he will know not to perservre with McNulty but ship him off to Gillingham.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Sep 2020 20:14

Snowflake Royal Interesting side with some fairly obvious flaws to it. Can't read much into it being a cup game against L2 opposition and the first game of a new manager who only met the players about a week ago, if that.

Southwood - 7 one error of judgement bowling the ball out to Morro and putting him in trouble, at least one decent save, no chance with the goal
Araruna - 7 beautiful cross for the first goal, decent performance but seemed to go awol a lot towards the end. Tended to play quite high, which leaves me worried about gaps in behind. Though if Rino and Laurent play they can cover that fairly well. Swift, Ejaria or Olise in deeper and it could be a problem
Bristow - 6 quiet start and not hugely tested, but grew into the game and some nice moments later on
Laurent - 6/7 very quiet first half, grew into it when Rino came on, couple of decent chances he didn't put away
Olise - 6/8 quiet first half playing deeper and more cautiously, moved forward second half and was much much better
Aluko - 6 he was ok, but everything he did Olise did better. Petulant strop at McNulty early on, threw himself on the ground, pulled out of challenges, dwelt on the ball, bending in nice crosses no where near the strikers and then vanished second half... 5th manager giving him a chance he's repeatedly proved he doesn't deserve
McNulty - 5 out of position, passing wasn't quite there, wasn't really his day, not likely to get a look in with the competition. Still think there's something there but he's not making it hard to sideline him
Joao - 10 completely transforms the side with his ability to finish, touch, work rate and strength

Rinomhota - 8 transformed the side when he came on. Him and Laurent are so important to the side, we play so slow without them driving forward and getting stuck in. Some loose moments though
Richards - 6 didn't notice him much but did fine, nearly scored... not played in his position so doesn't mean a lot
Melvin-Lambert - N/A not on long enough or involved enough to rate, but got a chance and wasn't far off putting it away

All in all, it looked like much the same Reading as ever. Wholly dependent on one or two players to perform well.

Good stuff Ian. I read that Harriott gave Araruna a tough time in the first half. How quick is Araruna?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2020 20:19

Zip
Snowflake Royal Interesting side with some fairly obvious flaws to it. Can't read much into it being a cup game against L2 opposition and the first game of a new manager who only met the players about a week ago, if that.

Good stuff Ian. I read that Harriott gave Araruna a tough time in the first half. How quick is Araruna?

Not as quick as Harriott. :wink:

He's no slouch but I wouldn't describe him as quick.

The goal came from a superb pass and Araruna probably being about two yards too high or a bit static and a perfectly timed run from Harriott.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2020 20:21

royalp-we Totally agree with the line up today - it was only right that Paunovic took the opportunity to cast his eye over Aluko / Baldock / McNulty and I can only really see him wanting to keep Aluko of the three following that game. It was also a great opportunity to hand out some academy debuts and every one of them did well today.

It had the aire of a pre season friendly, but it was a test and there were lots of positives. Plenty of Championship teams lost to lower league opposition today, the lads did well.

We’ll see a stronger, more experienced line up next weekend with Rafael, Yiadom, McIntyre, Swift, Ejaria, Meite, Puscas etc returning.

Really looking forward to a tough game at Pride Park and glad we got to see a glimpse of Southwood, Bristow and Melvin-Lambert, they all looked capable understudies. A few more signings in key positions and this could be a decent season.
Hope Meite doesn't return seeing as it would mean us getting penalised for fielding an ineligible player.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 05 Sep 2020 20:34

Stranded

He gave fringe players a chance in a competition renowned as one where fringe players get a chance. Based on today for example, he will know not to perservre with McNulty but ship him off to Gillingham.

But didn’t he play McNulty out wide? He’s clearly a striker & I’m not sure he would’ve learnt anything about him from today. I’m all up for giving fringe players a chance...in their correct positions

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2020 20:43

Stranded

I don't think there should be any complaints about playing young or fringe players (except Aluko he can oxf*rd off for all eternity).

But.

McNulty RW and AMC?
Olise deep playmaker?
Richards RW?

Not sure that tells us a whole lot of anything about those players, other than if we play them we should play them in their actual position.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Sep 2020 20:50

I do feel for McNulty. He’s got no chance being played in a position totally unsuited to him. I can’t see him staying.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 05 Sep 2020 20:58

It’s pretty unfair on McNulty. Baldock has no excuses, that’s millions down the drain by the club there.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 Sep 2020 21:10

Saw this on tilehurstend man of the match poll :D

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Sep 2020 21:30

SouthDownsRoyal

:lol: Ian Royal gets everywhere

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 Sep 2020 22:52

Zip
SouthDownsRoyal

:D

Ian aside, I just hope Joao can stay fit!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Sep 2020 23:00

SouthDownsRoyal
Zip
SouthDownsRoyal

Gotta disagree. For me, Joao aside, I just hope Ian can stay fit.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 Sep 2020 23:02

Zip
SouthDownsRoyal
Zip

Gotta disagree. For me, Joao aside, I just hope Ian can stay fit.

Why did Ian stop posting from his Ian royal account?