Chant Lyrics

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Chant Lyrics

by Nameless » 12 Jan 2020 11:06

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal It's just perspective init. Reading are the greatest team the world has ever seen, to me. Subjectively a d in no way objectively.

Never heard anyone sing Berkshire's in 25 years.

OK, if you've not heard it then it never happened.....
:roll:

Alright sweetheart, keep your knickers on. I didn't say it never happened did I. :roll:

Hard for it to be most peoplr if I've not heard it once in 25 years though.

Like you remember everything you have ever heard in the last 25 years....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2020 11:19

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless
OK, if you've not heard it then it never happened.....
:roll:

Alright sweetheart, keep your knickers on. I didn't say it never happened did I. :roll:

I refer you back to 'most'.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Jan 2020 11:24

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal Alright sweetheart, keep your knickers on. I didn't say it never happened did I. :roll:

I refer you back to 'most'.

Why ?
You seem to be delighting in leaping into the 'pedants' role I highlighted...
You must have had a heavy night, you've woken up in a shocking mood.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2020 11:28

Obviously you think it's crucial you're right and it's really getting to you, so fine. Most people sing Berkshire if it really means that much to you, and I've just been oblivious to it whilst constantly in the loudest sections of the ground when at games.

My experience and opinion matters not at all. Yours is better.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Jan 2020 11:32

From what I recall too, I’ve never heard us sing that song with “Berkshire” replacing “the world” either

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2020 11:34

URZZZZ From what I recall too, I’ve never heard us sing that song with “Berkshire” replacing “the world” either

Don't be a pedant URZZZZ, your experience doesn't matter.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 13 Jan 2020 10:01

tmesis
Forbury Lion What are the lyrics to "Super Reading FC".... it sounds like "by far the Greatest Team the World has ever seen"..... which can't be right as we're not even the greatest team in the Championship.

We don't specify what it is that we are the greatest at. There must be a niche activity.
moaning?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 13 Jan 2020 10:01

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ From what I recall too, I’ve never heard us sing that song with “Berkshire” replacing “the world” either

Don't be a pedant URZZZZ, your experience doesn't matter.
That's what she said. She was wrong.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 13 Jan 2020 14:07

Me neither.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 14 Jan 2020 16:21

JimmytheJim
Elm Park Kid "All the other guys were toss
So he made himself the boss
Mark Bowen. . . ooooo . . . . Mark Bowen".

I like this one.

I agree

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Jan 2020 12:38

under the tin It's always been a bit of a bugbear of mine that the we do not have a song synonymous with our club.
Y'know, a song that other clubs' fans would instantly recognise as ours, (and get their back up hearing it).
Think about singing it at the County ground or Kassam....

So many of the other songs are plagiarised from contemporary work, I thought I'd have a stab.
Head above parapet time...…
Bit of George Ezra anyone?

My heart is high when the ball's in the sky
And the skipper he jumps to head i-in

We're the boys from Berk-shire
Roaring on the hooped shirts
Singing at the Mad Stad

We're Readi-ing

Tin hat fitted.

We have Molly Malone, Bill Oddie, Sweet Caroline, Let’s All Do The Chelsea, Terry and June, the Royals Anthem, Five Parkinsons, the Big Bad Wolf, and If You Still Hate Futcher Clap Your Hands, plus we can drone on about 106. No point trying to force a third rate pop song nobody’s actually heard of on top of that.

In all seriousness how many clubs have an identifiable chant that isn’t just them repeating their name or more of a pre-match theme song (like Sweet Caroline, Z Cars, YNWA, Forever Blowing Bubbles)? Man United have a few. Anyone else? I’m sure other clubs have their own Bill Oddie style songs but we just wouldn’t recognise them.

So if you really want us to have a recognisable war chant then double down on what’s there.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jan 2020 13:52

SCIAG
under the tin It's always been a bit of a bugbear of mine that the we do not have a song synonymous with our club.
Y'know, a song that other clubs' fans would instantly recognise as ours, (and get their back up hearing it).

So many of the other songs are plagiarised from contemporary work, I thought I'd have a stab.

Singing at the Mad Stad

We're Readi-ing

Tin hat fitted.

We have Molly Malone, Bill Oddie, Sweet Caroline, Let’s All Do The Chelsea, Terry and June, the Royals Anthem, Five Parkinsons, the Big Bad Wolf, and If You Still Hate Futcher Clap Your Hands, plus we can drone on about 106. No point trying to force a third rate pop song nobody’s actually heard of on top of that.

In all seriousness how many clubs have an identifiable chant that isn’t just them repeating their name or more of a pre-match theme song (like Sweet Caroline, Z Cars, YNWA, Forever Blowing Bubbles)? Man United have a few. Anyone else? I’m sure other clubs have their own Bill Oddie style songs but we just wouldn’t recognise them.

So if you really want us to have a recognisable war chant then double down on what’s there.

Well said.

Personally, I'm looking forward to how confused everyone is going to be about Bill Oddie in 20 - 30 years time.

Er yeah, it's a TV comedian and naturalist from the 80s, 90s and 00s, to the tune of a pop song from the 90s by American star Madonna. No, he didn't have anything to do with Reading. No, nor did she. No it's got no real link or significance. Why? Dunno, seemed like a laugh at the time.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 07 Sep 2020 22:04

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG

Singing at the Mad Stad

We're Readi-ing

Tin hat fitted.

Well said.

Personally, I'm looking forward to how confused everyone is going to be about Bill Oddie in 20 - 30 years time.

Er yeah, it's a TV comedian and naturalist from the 80s, 90s and 00s, to the tune of a pop song from the 90s by American star Madonna. No, he didn't have anything to do with Reading. No, nor did she. No it's got no real link or significance. Why? Dunno, seemed like a laugh at the time.

Bill has been rather ill over the summer:

BBC News - Bill Oddie says lithium toxicity was 'almost fatal'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54054925

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Sep 2020 13:35

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG

Singing at the Mad Stad

We're Readi-ing

Tin hat fitted.

Well said.

Exactly the sort of “connection” you want for a club, something wholly obscure. Get out and celebrate Bill Oddie while supporting Reading.

Incidentally Bill is also a comedy writer and a bit of a musician/singer and his career goes back to the mid 60s with various TV and radio shows.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 Sep 2020 19:29

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
SCIAG We have Molly Malone, Bill Oddie, Sweet Caroline, Let’s All Do The Chelsea, Terry and June, the Royals Anthem, Five Parkinsons, the Big Bad Wolf, and If You Still Hate Futcher Clap Your Hands, plus we can drone on about 106. No point trying to force a third rate pop song nobody’s actually heard of on top of that.

Well said.

Exactly the sort of “connection” you want for a club, something wholly obscure. Get out and celebrate Bill Oddie while supporting Reading.

Incidentally Bill is also a comedy writer and a bit of a musician/singer and his career goes back to the mid 60s with various TV and radio shows.

Bill Oddie once killed a man.

Well, technically he did. Someone laughed so much at an episode of The Goodies (I think about a Lancastrian martial art, involving a black pudding) that he died.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Sep 2020 21:20

Just an annual reminder that if you try to come up with chant lyrics and you're a fully grown adult then you need your laptop checking by the local constabulary.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 08 Sep 2020 23:44

lol chants. i remember them. used to be fun.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 09 Sep 2020 11:29

Sutekh Incidentally Bill is also a comedy writer and a bit of a musician/singer and his career goes back to the mid 60s with various TV and radio shows.

Quite so, Sutekh. Bill's version of "On Ilkla Moor Baht'at" (done in the style of Joe Cocker / With A Little Help From My Friends) is worth a listen. If we adopted that as a club theme, imagine the reaction from fans of Yorkshire based clubs.

https://youtu.be/TMaB0cqwcvI

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 09 Sep 2020 12:24

The Terry & June theme, duh, der, duh, der, der, duh, der, der, duh etc
No lyrics required and uniquely Reading!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Sep 2020 12:36

Virgin.