BFT Watford

158 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFT Watford

by Zip » 04 Oct 2020 16:33

TiagoIlori
Lower West
TiagoIlori Looking back at all our games, it seems we were quite fortunate our defence hasn’t really been tested yet. Derby had a terrible front 4, Barnsley had no bite, Cardiff had no creativity until Tomlin came on and Watford are having serious trouble scoring goals at the moment. Indeed one could point out we wouldn’t have won those games under Bowen so that is also a good sign our attack seems a bit better this season.

What must be helping is the continuity from last season into this. Yesterday was noticeable (for example) how well Puscas and Meite are linking up. There's an understanding building. This can only come with time on the pitch.

I think it’s more down to our coaching set up letting these players play! Our attack hasn’t changed very much. Everyone seems much sharper and more dangerous offensively. Meite caused lots of problems. Puscas has obviously been coached to hold up better which is also a brilliant sign as I had my doubts he could replace Joao but after that I think he’s capable. My only problem is that he does come across as a bit selfish, if there’s someone in a better position you’ve got to pass it to them, I’m sure that can be coached anyway.

I’d argue Meite is more selfish than Puscas. Not too concerned because we have been so shot shy in recent years that I don’t mind our strikers being selfish.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Oct 2020 08:56

Zip
TiagoIlori
Lower West
What must be helping is the continuity from last season into this. Yesterday was noticeable (for example) how well Puscas and Meite are linking up. There's an understanding building. This can only come with time on the pitch.

I think it’s more down to our coaching set up letting these players play! Our attack hasn’t changed very much. Everyone seems much sharper and more dangerous offensively. Meite caused lots of problems. Puscas has obviously been coached to hold up better which is also a brilliant sign as I had my doubts he could replace Joao but after that I think he’s capable. My only problem is that he does come across as a bit selfish, if there’s someone in a better position you’ve got to pass it to them, I’m sure that can be coached anyway.

I’d argue Meite is more selfish than Puscas. Not too concerned because we have been so shot shy in recent years that I don’t mind our strikers being selfish.

Anyone who has a problem with a striker being selfish doesn't like football...

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 05 Oct 2020 09:18

I have a problem with strikers being selfish because I love football, the team game.

I have a problem with Kebe not squaring the ball for Kitson to tap in at Burnley in the PO SF first leg in 2009 late on with score 0-0. We go on to lose BTW.

Both Puscas and Meite are a bit selfish IMHO.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 Oct 2020 09:32

The crowd was a bit lacklustre........ seriously though, What if the team play this well because the crowd are not getting on their backs? When we can return, should we all keep quiet or hide behind the seats so they don't know we're there?

Maybe Reading have just adapted to it better than most because they are used to playing in a library?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Oct 2020 09:43

Forbury Lion The crowd was a bit lacklustre........ seriously though, What if the team play this well because the crowd are not getting on their backs? When we can return, should we all keep quiet or hide behind the seats so they don't know we're there?

Maybe Reading have just adapted to it better than most because they are used to playing in a library?

I actually think there is something to be said for that.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Oct 2020 09:46

Was it under Star that the thought was the players were being stifled,
made to play like robots? I can't remember.

But the guys now seem to be playing with verve, quick triangles in out defensive third,
they just seem so much more confident and are showing abilities they always had.

Their closing down seems better, the 50/50s won must surely be way up,
they are trying direct through balls on the floor, they are altogether
"being better utilised" and if the points keep coming in, they will improve
even more.

Our first bad game or unlucky defeat will be an interesting marker. Can PV
get them to bounce straight back?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Oct 2020 09:47

paultheroyal
Forbury Lion The crowd was a bit lacklustre........ seriously though, What if the team play this well because the crowd are not getting on their backs? When we can return, should we all keep quiet or hide behind the seats so they don't know we're there?

Maybe SKY could put together a moaning-moaning-moaning soundtrack
and play it loud?

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 05 Oct 2020 09:59

Snowball
paultheroyal

and play it loud?

Does anyone know what the sound of ‘I am going to send a strongly worded letter to the daily mail is’ that would be perfect

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Oct 2020 10:14

Fox Talbot I have a problem with strikers being selfish because I love football, the team game.

I have a problem with Kebe not squaring the ball for Kitson to tap in at Burnley in the PO SF first leg in 2009 late on with score 0-0. We go on to lose BTW.

Both Puscas and Meite are a bit selfish IMHO.

Forster was the most selfish striker going, but I still loved him.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 05 Oct 2020 11:36

Snowball Was it under Star that the thought was the players were being stifled,

HEY! Don't lay that one at our door, please.

On another subject mentioned in this thread, research from Germany does indeed suggest that clubs with less vociferous crowds / less full stadia have adapted better, in terms of results, to BCD games.

SILENT MAJORITY RULES OK

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Oct 2020 12:16

Snowball Was it under Star = STAM! STAM! that the thought was the players were being stifled,

But the guys now seem to be playing with verve, quick triangles in out defensive third,
they just seem so much more confident and are showing abilities they always had.

even more.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Oct 2020 12:21

Snowball
paultheroyal

and play it loud?

I can point them in the direction of an individual from Y21 who would do a good job for them!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2020 12:53

RoyalBlue
Snowball
paultheroyal

and play it loud?

I can point them in the direction of an individual from Y21 who would do a good job for them!

They can just ask you to talk about Madejski and finances.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Oct 2020 13:11

Snowball
Snowball Was it under Star = STAM! STAM! that the thought was the players were being stifled,

even more.

Or how we react to conceding the first goal.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2020 13:12

CountryRoyal
Snowball

even more.

Colchester and Luton both have a bit of that.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Oct 2020 13:18

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
Snowball

I don’t think you can use either game for legitimate comparison, different competition, different pressures and different players.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2020 13:59

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal

I don’t think you can use either game for legitimate comparison, different competition, different pressures and different players.

True.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Oct 2020 15:44

Snowball

even more.

It pains me to say this but I have to be fair after putting Bowen's early achievements down to the honeymoon period, but you're right... one or two bad results, confidence gone, honeymoon period over and we'll remember these few games as a strange honeymoon blip and be calling for Pauno's head.

I guess the only thing makign this all a bit less likely is the the general quality of the teams we played, our performance in those games, what we can see with our own eyes re: how they are functioning, the Joao-less result and his seemingly good subsitutions and setup.

But yeah the new test for me too is how do we respond to a couple of defeats. Does he lift the players? Does he change things around? Does he lose the confidence of the players? I almost want to see a defeat to make it seem more real and believable.

158 posts