What has changed so much from last season?

119 posts
Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

What has changed so much from last season?

by Simmops » 28 Oct 2020 07:43

We have largely the same core squad and players, bar starting with an actual keeper rather then Virginia. We have a few signings but none seemed like big name stars, however Lauren is proving otherwise. We have a new manager who didn't really have a pre season or was a name manager.

What has changed so much from last season? Was it the manager we needed all along? Have player just got better like Olise (I'm certain he won't be here next season base on this form) or something else?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: What has changed so much from last season?

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2020 08:14

Joao is fit
Olise is better
Laurent brings balance to midfield
We have depth in midfield with Semedo
Aluko isn't a complete waste of space
Richards has improved
Moore is better
The manager has changed - I don't think for one minute we'd be doing this well under Bowen, although no one thinks they'd be doing this well ever. I think we'd be much I.proved on last year, but not to this extent
We've got the balance between playing out and going long right for the first time in at least a decade.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Oct 2020 08:49

Laurent for me is the biggest key.

Allows Rhino to play his best football knowing he has someone reliable next to him and like Ian says, he brings balance to the force.. sorry midfield.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Oct 2020 08:55

All of the above, and no fans to moan/put the players under pressure when they're knocking it about.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Oct 2020 09:07

Leaner, better balanced squad, sensible, focused recruitment and a tactically astute manager fostering a strong team spirit.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Oct 2020 09:09

Snowflake Royal Joao is fit
Olise is better
Richards has improved
Moore is better
The manager has changed - I don't think for one minute we'd be doing this well under Bowen, although no one thinks they'd be doing this well ever. I think we'd be much I.proved on last year, but not to this extent
We've got the balance between playing out and going long right for the first time in at least a decade.

So you accept you were 100% wrong for doubting the owners and new manager before a ball was kicked?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Oct 2020 09:09

Olise is better
Richards has improved
Moore is better

Yep. Maybe add that Morrison has been better too.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 28 Oct 2020 09:10

Olise is magical. Be surprised if we keep hold of him all season.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Oct 2020 09:11

Allowing players to improve has been key for me. Richards and Olise are far improved on last season, while Moore is back at his best, Joao is in great form and Rinomhota has a role that suits him.

Add in smart recruitment, particularly Laurent, a leaner squad and a manager who seems to instil confidence and it's a winning combo

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Oct 2020 09:16

Always was a talented and very capable squad just lacking confidence, organisation and what must have been belief in what the manager was trying to do.

Bowen steadied things and manage to get flashes of what the squad was capable but couldn’t maintain things long enough (losing Joao wasn’t at all helpful to him though). VP seems to have the good side of Gomes and the organisational sense that Bown combined with a more defined attacking sense, on top of that he also seems to have the positive, approachable happy outlook of Klopp which seems to be fostering a feel good, all for one attitude among the players.

Most importantly he (and his team) seem to be a good set of coaches and are able to develop, particularly, the younger players well.

Let’s hope it continues.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Oct 2020 09:27

I do wonder what Bowen is currently thinking. Had he accepted the DoF role, he could be earning a decent sum, in the owners ear about how this is all down to him. Main two things for me are Joao is fit, and Laurent. By resting Joao back end of last year instead of rushing him back, and by personally making sure we got Laurent in, he has been a big factor. Instead he sulked off and sees the new man getting all the plaudits.

In saying that, Pauno has clearly made a big difference. We are more proactive, more confident, better spirit and aren't solely reliant on John Swift coming up with a bit of magic. Also not constantly sitting back on 1 goal leads. Moore is clearly a lot happier, and Esteves and Semedo are two excellent signings - guessing Pauno had input into them. Think Gibson will end up being useful as well.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Oct 2020 09:29

Sutekh Always was a talented and very capable squad just lacking confidence, organisation and what must have been belief in what the manager was trying to do.

Bowen steadied things and manage to get flashes of what the squad was capable but couldn’t maintain things long enough (losing Joao wasn’t at all helpful to him though). VP seems to have the good side of Gomes and the organisational sense that Bown combined with a more defined attacking sense, on top of that he also seems to have the positive, approachable happy outlook of Klopp which seems to be fostering a feel good, all for one attitude among the players.

Most importantly he (and his team) seem to be a good set of coaches and are able to develop, particularly, the younger players well.

Let’s hope it continues.

Yes, it’s easy to disregard Bowen’s work here but in reality, he was the building blocks to the success we have now

Don’t think he had the ability to take us to the next level, but nonetheless his work here was important

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Oct 2020 09:34

URZZZZ
Sutekh Always was a talented and very capable squad just lacking confidence, organisation and what must have been belief in what the manager was trying to do.

Let’s hope it continues.

Yes, it’s easy to disregard Bowen’s work here but in reality, he was the building blocks to the success we have now

Don’t think he had the ability to take us to the next level, but nonetheless his work here was important

I still think the turnaround started under Gomes, even though his time here ended very badly. Success comes after sustained periods of progress, similar to how Coppell took over a club in a great place after Pardew.

If Pauno does take us up, Gomes and Bowen deserve credit too

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Oct 2020 09:37

I’ll be honest - I can’t see too much of Gomes’ work in the current side

I’d almost give Clement more due - bringing in Rino, seeing something in Meite...

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Oct 2020 09:43

Hound I’ll be honest - I can’t see too much of Gomes’ work in the current side

I’d almost give Clement more due - bringing in Rino, seeing something in Meite...

He kept us up (we were 5 points off safety at one point) and seemed to get us moving in the right direction again. Brought back a bit of a feelgood vibe after a depressing couple of years. I'd say he was important

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Oct 2020 09:47

WestYorksRoyal

He kept us up (we were 5 points off safety at one point) and seemed to get us moving in the right direction again. Brought back a bit of a feelgood vibe after a depressing couple of years. I'd say he was important

Think we were pretty much down in the dumps again by the time he left though

Credit for keeping us up certainly - not sure he has much influence on the current side other than that though

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Oct 2020 09:49

Olise is better
Richards has improved
Moore is better

Very good summary. It just seems that players are also a unit and playing together again and have improved.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Oct 2020 09:50

Theroyalbox Olise is magical. Be surprised if we keep hold of him all season.

I highly doubt it. Crazy as it may sound but he would be a great fit for somebody like dortmund

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 28 Oct 2020 09:50

Olise is better
Richards has improved
Moore is better

That covers most of it I would think. Think Moore back in the fold and playing well is a crucial factor. Bit worried abut his errr, sprinting, last night though.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Oct 2020 09:51

WestYorksRoyal

I’d argue he was important in a different context. You’re right, he brought the fans back together in a way we hadn’t seen for a while, and he kept us up in a period where we looked doomed

Unfortunately, his hard work was undone by creating an unbalanced, one dimensional squad last year which brought us back to square one and his tactics were found to be inflexible and frankly awful. He left us with too many players, too many who didn’t really have a “defined” position (too many “behind the striker players“ who didn’t contribute enough)

I guess you could argue he brought in Rafael, Joao and Morrison (although not sure of his input with that one) and developed Olise so you could look at it that way too

119 posts