What has changed so much from last season?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: What has changed so much from last season?

by Simmops » 28 Oct 2020 09:52

Also getting rid of a lot of the deadweight players

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Oct 2020 10:00

I think certainly Joao he probably had a fair bit to do with - so will credit that. Not sure on the other two, think Virginia was more likely his doing

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Oct 2020 10:00

Simmops Also getting rid of a lot of the deadweight players

don't think he did really. Bowen certainly did one way or another last year though

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 28 Oct 2020 10:39

Simmops
Theroyalbox Olise is magical. Be surprised if we keep hold of him all season.

I highly doubt it. Crazy as it may sound but he would be a great fit for somebody like dortmund

Agreed, he will go right to the very top IMO. Wouldn't be surprised to see him lining up for a champions league team one day

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Oct 2020 10:40

Theroyalbox
Simmops

I highly doubt it. Crazy as it may sound but he would be a great fit for somebody like dortmund

Agreed, he will go right to the very top IMO. Wouldn't be surprised to see him lining up for a champions league team one day

Only if he stays with us.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Oct 2020 10:50

All comments above good and valid.

However I'll say what I've said before in a thread where I proposed that things just "click" in football, there is not one or a few factors. I questioned whether there are really very good managers as much as we think there are, or are there many vague factors that happen to come together almost by chance. Eg teh Special One ain't always so special, Adkins, Rodgers, FSB, etc etc. Yes of course some managers are better than others but there are just so many other factors and in my opinion getting all those factors to gel is partly a matter of luck. Which is why I could understand the Owners' decision to just mix things up with quick manager changes hoping to get that click. Many knocked it but, well, this time it worked.

We have Pauno who clearly knows what he is doing *with us* but history suggests he is not some sort of Messiah as he didn't do wonders for his last club. His style, how he gels with our team, their buy-in, his ability to inspire confidence in younger players - all very applicable to us but didn't work at his last club and may not work elsewhere. His backroom staff also seem to be perfect for this team. Add to that getting rid of the deadwood and the negative influences they may have had. A couple of key signings (eg Semedo, Laruent) who have come in at the right time, etc etc... throw that in with a bit of luck with covid and not the usual impatient negativity shown by stupid entitled Reading fans, Joao getting into form, etc etc... all these little things add up and when you mix that in with a bit of new manager honeymoon player effort.. BAMMMM!!!!! there is that crucial explosion, and then the engine just chugs away on its own and water turns into wine. All players suddenly are better: eg aluko, joao, olise, richards moore start playing better.

I don't believe that individually all these players just chanced on being better on their own at the right time coincidentally. It may SEEM that way. Rather the underlying boom of various factors just coming together at the right time has ignited them and the whole team.

And now the train is choochooing full steam ahead.

Of course, the flip side is the train can easily be derailed. An unfortunate injury or two, a disheartening red card, big defeat, a spat in the dressing room and suddenly the opposite can happen. That is also seen all too often in football.

There is a lot of inertia when you're managing a bunch of human beings but once everything is in place it just rolls. The same applies the other way.

Let's hope we stay on track!

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 28 Oct 2020 11:10

Paunovic has got Moore going again, we all know how brilliant he was in 16/17 so our defence is instantly miles better. I wasn’t sure on Laurent when we signed him but he’s been fantastic defensively, we have an excellent backup right back for Yiadom too. Attacking wise nothing has changed, we’re too reliant on Joao hopefully we can change that. Also Paunovic isn’t Bowen, he sounds a lot better at man management and is an actual manager. Other than that nothing has changed, we’ll see what happens when results start going against us.
Last edited by TiagoIlori on 28 Oct 2020 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 28 Oct 2020 11:28

TiagoIlori Paunovic has got Moore going again, we all know how brilliant he was in 16/17 so our defence is instantly miles better. I wasn’t sure on Laurent when we signed him but he’s been fantastic defensively, we have an excellent backup right back for Yiadom. Attacking wise nothing has changed, we’re too reliant on Joao hopefully we can change that. Also Paunovic isn’t Bowen, he sounds a lot better at man management and is an actual manager. Other than that nothing has changed, we’ll see what happens when results start going against us.

This is the only thing that's stopping me applying for my ticket to the promotion party :wink:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Oct 2020 11:29

Still not been behind in a game this season. It's going to be interesting to see how we play once that happens, and what Pauno does

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Oct 2020 11:32

Without crowds , the game seems different. A difficult midweek away trip with a hostile crowd may have produced different outcome.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Oct 2020 11:33

genome Still not been behind in a game this season. It's going to be interesting to see how we play once that happens, and what Pauno does

Colchester in the cup? :wink:

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 28 Oct 2020 11:34

Franchise FC
TiagoIlori Paunovic has got Moore going again, we all know how brilliant he was in 16/17 so our defence is instantly miles better. I wasn’t sure on Laurent when we signed him but he’s been fantastic defensively, we have an excellent backup right back for Yiadom. Attacking wise nothing has changed, we’re too reliant on Joao hopefully we can change that. Also Paunovic isn’t Bowen, he sounds a lot better at man management and is an actual manager. Other than that nothing has changed, we’ll see what happens when results start going against us.

This is the only thing that's stopping me applying for my ticket to the promotion party :wink:

Me too. In recent years every team that goes up has gone through a bad spell other than possibly Wolves 17/18, it stopped Forest from cementing a genuine automatic promotion push last season. Hopefully being threatened with relegation in 17/18, 18/19 and some of 19/20 has meant the players know what games you absolutely have to win.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Oct 2020 11:35

Hendo
genome Still not been behind in a game this season. It's going to be interesting to see how we play once that happens, and what Pauno does

Colchester in the cup? :wink:

Oh yeah, and Luton.

League games, I definitely meant league games.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 28 Oct 2020 11:47

Simmops

Oyeh because Dai has a record of letting our most promising players go. Plus would be fairly stupid from Olise to leave at this stage when next year he could well be playing guaranteed Prem football as is unlikely we will look to strengthen in that position, compared to if he moved to a new Prem/Top div team having to fight his way into the side.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Oct 2020 11:55

Jagermesiter1871
Simmops

Oyeh because Dai has a record of letting our most promising players go. Plus would be fairly stupid from Olise to leave at this stage when next year he could well be playing guaranteed Prem football as is unlikely we will look to strengthen in that position, compared to if he moved to a new Prem/Top div team having to fight his way into the side.

Money and fame and big teams talk.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 28 Oct 2020 12:02

Simmops
Jagermesiter1871
Simmops

Given how many teens have their career derailed by moving just when they're finding their stride it wouldn't be that wise of him. If it still looks like we're in with a good chance of getting promoted in Jan he'd be better served signing a 3-4 year contract with a big promotion bonus and a relegation/no promotion lowered buyout clause.

From our perspective if we're still in the race in Jan, we'd be better served by keeping him for the promotion push than selling for £10m.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Oct 2020 12:11

Chameleon
Simmops
Jagermesiter1871

Given how many teens have their career derailed by moving just when they're finding their stride it wouldn't be that wise of him. If it still looks like we're in with a good chance of getting promoted in Jan he'd be better served signing a 3-4 year contract with a big promotion bonus and a relegation/no promotion lowered buyout clause.

From our perspective if we're still in the race in Jan, we'd be better served by keeping him for the promotion push than selling for £10m.

He would do better here and I hope he stays and shows loyalty, I am just saying a team like Dortmund would suit him as they have a track record of investing in youngsters and turning them into stars (haaland, sancho, reyna, bellingham, and they have a 15 year old hotshot now). I think he could be one of our best ever players if he stays

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Oct 2020 12:13

Two defensive midfielders at the same time means we’re well protected in the centre.

The opposition have to attack down the flanks, which suits Moore and particularly Morrison much more than being attacked directly.

Joao is that bit stronger and quicker than Puscas.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 28 Oct 2020 12:14

Penny for Mark Bowen's thoughts on the start we have had...

What I think has changed is:

- Main factor, Joao is fit and playing games (doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that our last good run of results was last when Joao was fit and playing regularly up top on his own, he then got injured vs Fulham and effectively ended our season when we were starting to get our hopes up)

- Confidence is rife within the squad, we have a winning mentality which is invaluable

- Balanced midfield with Rino and Laurent protecting the defence. It is unbelievable to think there were games last season where we started Olise, Swift and Ejaria in the middle with Rino on the bench... When those three are all fit again will be a very tough decision for Pauno

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Oct 2020 12:15

I obviously have concerns if Joao were to get injured, he is a big part of our successful attacks, Puscas did well when he came in for the Watford game so that was promising, I'm actually most concerned if Rinomohta or Laurent get injured/suspended, I can't think of a credible replacement, perhaps Semedo as despite us playing him in a more attacking role, he is supposedly a defensive mid and I'm sure Swift will probably come back in some capacity when he has recovered.