Best Player in the World Ever

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Best Player in the World Ever

by 6ft Kerplunk » 27 Oct 2020 14:19

Silver Fox
6ft Kerplunk I think Pele includes bicycle kick from Escape to Victory in his total.

Should count double tbf, I never thought it would be topped but then along came Yakou at the weekend

Neither as good as Trevor Morley's. FACT.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 28 Oct 2020 16:26

I'd vote for Maradona personally.

I think he is the only player ever to more or less single handedly carry a team to win the World Cup and the best domestic league in the world.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 28 Oct 2020 19:59

Tony Le Mesmer I'd vote for Maradona personally.

I think he is the only player ever to more or less single-handedly carry a team to win the World Cup and the best domestic league in the world.

it's bullshit about that Argentina squad being a single man team...would go with building a team around him

They conceded 5 goals the whole tournament, two of them from set plays in the final. Passarella captained in 1978 and played at CB in Italy (the best domestic league in the world apparently)

River Plate won the Copa Libertadores that year. Three players in the National Squad and an indicator of the strength of Argentinian football. Valdano was voted best foreign player in La Liga winning the league and a UEFA Cup with Real Madrid.

Argentina won it in 1978...basically they're not mugs! It's just lazy research

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 28 Oct 2020 22:13

Madonna for me. After him I can never decide. Messi and Ronaldo never faced the hatchet men like Pele and Madonna did. Wonder if Messi had been so prolific if it was the 60s,70s or 80s rules. I saw George Best at Fulham once when I was a child. Incredible balance.
One player who never gets mentioned though who I saw live is Ronaldinho. At his peak he was something else, the passing the trickery, the quick feet, and the strength. I always remember him running through John Terry as if he wasn't there at Stamford Bridge one time.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 28 Oct 2020 22:27

Ascotexgunner Madonna for me. After him I can never decide. Messi and Ronaldo never faced the hatchet men like Pele and Madonna did. Wonder if Messi had been so prolific if it was the 60s,70s or 80s rules. I saw George Best at Fulham once when I was a child. Incredible balance.
One player who never gets mentioned though who I saw live is Ronaldinho. At his peak he was something else, the passing the trickery, the quick feet, and the strength. I always remember him running through John Terry as if he wasn't there at Stamford Bridge one time.

Mentioned Ronaldinho earlier in the thread.

His youtube highlight reel is exactly the same as Messi's.

Ridiculous skill and close control at an incredible pace.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Oct 2020 00:04

BR0B0T
Ascotexgunner Madonna for me. After him I can never decide. Messi and Ronaldo never faced the hatchet men like Pele and Madonna did. Wonder if Messi had been so prolific if it was the 60s,70s or 80s rules. I saw George Best at Fulham once when I was a child. Incredible balance.

He didn't keep it up though. Zidane for me.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Oct 2020 06:47

BR0B0T
Tony Le Mesmer I'd vote for Maradona personally.

I think he is the only player ever to more or less single-handedly carry a team to win the World Cup and the best domestic league in the world.

it's bullshit about that Argentina squad being a single man team...would go with building a team around him

They conceded 5 goals the whole tournament, two of them from set plays in the final. Passarella captained in 1978 and played at CB in Italy (the best domestic league in the world apparently)

River Plate won the Copa Libertadores that year. Three players in the National Squad and an indicator of the strength of Argentinian football. Valdano was voted best foreign player in La Liga winning the league and a UEFA Cup with Real Madrid.

Argentina won it in 1978...basically they're not mugs! It's just lazy research

Have I understood your quote ?

You’re saying Maradona because he carried them to the 1978 World Cup ?

He didn’t play in the ‘78 team

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 29 Oct 2020 09:06

I think he's saying that the players Maradona played with in '86 were no mugs, not least the '78 World Cup winning captain.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 29 Oct 2020 12:20

Sanguine I think he's saying that the players Maradona played with in '86 were no mugs, not least the '78 World Cup winning captain.

Yep this ^^^

cheers Sangers

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 29 Oct 2020 12:22

Didn't Maradona get dropped from the National Team after that massive fight he started when at Barcelona

Fantastically well-timed flying knee tbf

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 29 Oct 2020 14:26

Best flying knee during a pitch riot is Boban taking out the policeman just as Yugoslavia is at breaking point.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 29 Oct 2020 15:07

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 29 Oct 2020 18:14

Simmops
BR0B0T

He didn't keep it up though. Zidane for me.

Yeah, that was the problem, his career nosedived. I'd say there were 5 seasons where he just looked untouchable.
Of course there are many Brazilians who will tell you that actually Tostao was better than Pele.