Weekend Football

5548 posts
Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Weekend Football

by Silver Fox » 26 Oct 2020 12:04

South Coast Royal A very enjoyable weekend as far as results went.

Wins for Reading, Rangers and Liverpool (and Poole Town scoring 6 away from home, a good result for the manager who is a mate of mine)
Losses for Arsenal, Celtic and Everton
Only draws for Man City, Man Utd, Bournemouth and Bristol City.

Sadly Celtic didn't lose Vic

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 26 Oct 2020 13:58

Bit concerned for Wycombe (0-0-7, two goals scored) that they might threaten Rotherham's miserable record low 23 points in the Championship.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 Oct 2020 14:00

Sanguine Bit concerned for Wycombe (0-0-7, two goals scored) that they might threaten Rotherham's miserable record low 23 points in the Championship.

But as a supporting mate of mine keeps saying after each game - "we are getting better" :lol: :lol:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Oct 2020 14:15

It was always going to be like this though, I think the club knew that going into the season. They are happy to be in the Championship and their young players will learn a lot. They can use the learning experience next season and grow as a squad. It is actually refreshing to see a club not overspend and chase and impossible dream. They are a tiny club from a relatively small town and have massively overachieved.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 26 Oct 2020 14:21

Silver Fox
South Coast Royal A very enjoyable weekend as far as results went.

Wins for Reading, Rangers and Liverpool (and Poole Town scoring 6 away from home, a good result for the manager who is a mate of mine)
Losses for Arsenal, Celtic and Everton
Only draws for Man City, Man Utd, Bournemouth and Bristol City.

Sadly Celtic didn't lose Vic

As good as in that league. :wink:

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 26 Oct 2020 15:40

Sanguine Bit concerned for Wycombe (0-0-7, two goals scored) that they might threaten Rotherham's miserable record low 23 points in the Championship.

I went :shock: at that and then remembered Derby County got 11 in the PL and watched some of the highlights from that season. Good lord they were truly awful.

Top scorer was Kenny Millar with FOUR GOALS, they didn't win for 32 matches in the league, relegated in MARCH and only scored TWENTY goals.

I think in British modern day football only Hyde FC in the conference have had fewer points in a season with 10 then Derby.

What an awful team they were.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Oct 2020 16:00

paultheroyal

But as a supporting mate of mine keeps saying after each game - "we are getting better" :lol: :lol:

Tbf, they didn't look terrible against us (although that might've been down to how bad we were) and they nearly took Norwich to a 1-1 after taking the lead, so there is logic to that theory they are getting better.

I mean, they need to get much better, much quicker, obviously.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 26 Oct 2020 17:18

Hendo
paultheroyal

Tbf, they didn't look terrible against us (although that might've been down to how bad we were) and they nearly took Norwich to a 1-1 after taking the lead, so there is logic to that theory they are getting better.

Small point, but didn't Wycombe equalise rather than take the lead ?

Can't agree with the earlier post about the players learning from the experience. If it's as bad as it looks for the whole season it'll destroy some, if not all, of them

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Oct 2020 17:26

Franchise FC
Hendo
paultheroyal

Small point, but didn't Wycombe equalise rather than take the lead ?

Can't agree with the earlier post about the players learning from the experience. If it's as bad as it looks for the whole season it'll destroy some, if not all, of them

Oh yeah, they did, my mistake, wasn't it very soon after Norwich had scored?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Oct 2020 15:35

Simmops
URZZZZ
Simmops
Pretty crazy seeing as this time last year Leicester smashed them 9-0 and their manager was under the cosh.

Che Adams seems to have finally come good and Ings is proving to be a top player again and happy to see Mccarthy come good again after Palace.

It does seem a lot of teams are beating others that they wouldn't have last season. Sheff United are struggling badly aswell and it would be a shame for them to go down as I rate their boss.

Second season syndrome?

Perhaps similar to us in 2006/08. Started the season as underdogs, over exceeded expectations, just missed out on Europe, lost a couple of key players (Sidwell for us, Henderson and O’Connell for them) and subsequently struggle the next season

Think already you’re looking at 3 from 5 teams

Possibly. I hope they become another Burnley, just part of the mid table furnishing really.

I don't think Leeds or Villa will last the distance, but hope one of them can break into European spots.

Think we can say Fulham and West Brom are down. They're both awful teams. Such a shame that Brentford didn't go up and seems like just a wasted spot.

Not sure Brentford would be much better, for all their work last year, they never really pushed Leeds and WBA until right at the end, effectively just a purple patch

Not saying they weren’t a decent team and perhaps would have fared better than Fulham’s start but could still see them struggling quite badly

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 27 Oct 2020 16:47

Agreed on Brentford - they looked good for a playoff spot from the middle of the season, but grabbed third by virtue of winning seven or eight in a row from March. Sadly for their fans I'm not convinced they've got another run at promotion in them this season, not least since losing Watkins and now Benrahma.

Sheffield United looked a candidate for second season syndrome even during their good run last year - they simply didn't score enough goals, so as soon as the defence starts to creak (as it has since the return to football in June) they look fragile. But that's no criticism - the likes of Basham, Stevens and Egan have all come from the lower leagues.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 27 Oct 2020 17:01

Sanguine Agreed on Brentford - they looked good for a playoff spot from the middle of the season, but grabbed third by virtue of winning seven or eight in a row from March. Sadly for their fans I'm not convinced they've got another run at promotion in them this season, not least since losing Watkins and now Benrahma.

Sheffield United looked a candidate for second season syndrome even during their good run last year - they simply didn't score enough goals, so as soon as the defence starts to creak (as it has since the return to football in June) they look fragile. But that's no criticism - the likes of Basham, Stevens and Egan have all come from the lower leagues.

And it seems like Henderson is a bigger loss to them then they would have liked, They should have really broken the bank for him. A really good keeper is worth so many points over the season, and he is being wasted on Uniteds bench.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 28 Oct 2020 20:18

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Oct 2020 22:59

Could this be Burnley’s year to drop?

Their success primarily came from the relationships they instilled on the pitch, doesn’t seem to be working anymore, Barnes and Wood are struggling up too together, they don’t seem to have that solid CB duo in Tarkowski and Mee any more, can’t see Dyche staying there much longer if results don’t improve, I’m sure he could get another job relatively quickly

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Nov 2020 09:30

URZZZZ Could this be Burnley’s year to drop?

Their success primarily came from the relationships they instilled on the pitch, doesn’t seem to be working anymore, Barnes and Wood are struggling up too together, they don’t seem to have that solid CB duo in Tarkowski and Mee any more, can’t see Dyche staying there much longer if results don’t improve, I’m sure he could get another job relatively quickly

It certainly has been a bit of an ominous start for them but looking at the table, it’s still so close down there, 4 teams are yet to win. So a couple of good results on the spin will do wonders for them.

They’ve also had a bit of a tricky start to the season - Leicester, Saints, Newcastle, West Brom, Spurs & Chelsea.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 01 Nov 2020 13:21

Villa crashing back to reality.

Since they beat Liverpool 7-2 they have let in 3 and 4 (and counting) at home., without scoring.

(from memory).

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 01 Nov 2020 14:02

Well, I spurred them to pull three back. But still a home defeat.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Nov 2020 16:21

Hendo
URZZZZ Could this be Burnley’s year to drop?

It certainly has been a bit of an ominous start for them but looking at the table, it’s still so close down there, 4 teams are yet to win. So a couple of good results on the spin will do wonders for them.

They’ve also had a bit of a tricky start to the season - Leicester, Saints, Newcastle, West Brom, Spurs & Chelsea.

At this rate, you’d guess at it being 3 from Burnley, Fulham, West Brom and Sheffield United

However, football doesn’t seem to be that simple, usually one or two more teams are dragged into it and one of the early strugglers seem to get out of it so still lots of time for Burnley

Jinx

by Jinx » 01 Nov 2020 17:40

Football is becoming more and more of a non-contact sport, I struggle to sit and watch a whole game now, The Liverpool penalty yesterday and the Newcastle one today, you can barely even tell where the foul occurred, but with the massive squeals of "pain" and the rolling around they get given. It really is becoming dull

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Nov 2020 17:46

Jinx Football is becoming more and more of a non-contact sport, I struggle to sit and watch a whole game now, The Liverpool penalty yesterday and the Newcastle one today, you can barely even tell where the foul occurred, but with the massive squeals of "pain" and the rolling around they get given. It really is becoming dull
and some say....”at least it’s not rugby”

Football (professional) has become the game of dandies....

If Dave Kitson were dead....he’d turn in his grave

5548 posts