England - the future....

3567 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: England - the future....

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Nov 2020 20:19

Our problem this evening is we only have one World class player on the pitch, the rest of them are extremely average footballers who wouldn't get in any of the other top 5 ranked national teams.

Rice can fcuk off
Kyle Walker can do one
Eric Dier needs to go away
Mings is a Championship player

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Nov 2020 20:20

I know it was just a friendly but the England team v Ireland looked good. Young side, free flowing football, quick passing.

This one looks awful.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Nov 2020 20:23

Old Man Andrews Our problem this evening is we only have one World class player on the pitch, the rest of them are extremely average footballers who wouldn't get in any of the other top 5 ranked national teams.

Rice can fcuk off
Kyle Walker can do one

Harsh on Henderson but pretty much agreed with the rest

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Nov 2020 20:29

Southgate is fully entitled to experiment between now and June but I think it would have been better playing his strongest possible side tonight especially as Belgium look close to full strength.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Nov 2020 20:32

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews Our problem this evening is we only have one World class player on the pitch, the rest of them are extremely average footballers who wouldn't get in any of the other top 5 ranked national teams.

Rice can fcuk off
Kyle Walker can do one

Henderson has a big problem for England, he's relied upon to be a creative force and a holding midfielder, he's caught between a rock and a hard place and often gets lost trying to do too many things at once.
At Liverpool he has the luxury of Wijnaldum, Thiago and Fabinho beside him who share the load. It allows Henderson to play the one role and he also doesn't have to worry so much about clearing up their mess, they are all world class midfielders who rarely put a foot wrong. For England he has Declan Rice or Harry Winks alongside him which is a completely different kettle of fish, neither are good enough for international footballers. Our central midfield is a huge issue.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Nov 2020 20:37

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

Rice can fcuk off
Kyle Walker can do one

Henderson has a big problem for England, he's relied upon to be a creative force and a holding midfielder, he's caught between a rock and a hard place and often gets lost trying to do too many things at once.
At Liverpool he has the luxury of Wijnaldum, Thiago and Fabinho beside him who share the load. It allows Henderson to play the one role and he also doesn't have to worry so much about clearing up their mess, they are all world class midfielders who rarely put a foot wrong. For England he has Declan Rice or Harry Winks alongside him which is a completely different kettle of fish, neither are good enough for international footballers. Our central midfield is a huge issue.

Yeah I agree with that

I think Rice is a good footballer but I think he suits being a big fish in a smaller team rather than the other way around

Perhaps one solution is to give Reece James a go in midfield? I know he played there a bit for Wigan and obviously we have a surplus of RB’s so may solve that problem. Chances are it won’t work but not sure he’d be any worse than Dier or Winks in there or whoever else he plays

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Nov 2020 20:38

Zip Southgate is fully entitled to experiment between now and June but I think it would have been better playing his strongest possible side tonight especially as Belgium look close to full strength.

Half the problem is Southgate doesn’t know his best team

All the best managers have a good squad but they all have a preferred XI and tactic. Genuinely couldn’t get close to telling you Southgate’s

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 15 Nov 2020 20:39

Zip Southgate is fully entitled to experiment between now and June but I think it would have been better playing his strongest possible side tonight especially as Belgium look close to full strength.

When playing the better teams experimenting should go out the door?
You need to put your best 11 against the best teams to find out how they compete. I will never understand England who have already a ready made spine and great options. They will never change.
Last edited by Ascotexgunner on 15 Nov 2020 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Nov 2020 20:39

URZZZZ

Half the problem is Southgate doesn’t know his best team

All the best managers have a good squad but they all have a preferred XI and tactic. Genuinely couldn’t get close to telling you Southgate’s

Yeah I’m beginning to think that too.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Nov 2020 20:41

Giving the second half a miss.

NFL should be more entertaining I think

Let me know if I miss anything

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Nov 2020 20:49

Winks on for Henderson.

Be funny if Henderson is injured. Can you imagine Klopp...?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Nov 2020 20:57

How many times has Grealish been fouled tonight?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Nov 2020 20:59

Royal Rother How many times has Grealish been fouled tonight?

Many. Its not a bad thing for England, we aren't bad on set pieces and he wins a lot of fouls around the edge of the box.
Grealish has been the one plus for me thus far.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Nov 2020 21:03

Old Man Andrews
Royal Rother How many times has Grealish been fouled tonight?

Many. Its not a bad thing for England, we aren't bad on set pieces and he wins a lot of fouls around the edge of the box.
Grealish has been the one plus for me thus far.

I think that's at least 12 fouls against us. Always thought Belgium were pretty physical. Could do with some protection from this ref.

Edit perhaps he's treating it as a friendly

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Nov 2020 21:06

England have actually looked pretty good tonight against a top team. But poor finishing, sloppy goal conceded for the 1st and bad referee decision for the 2nd. Costly at this level.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Nov 2020 21:13

I don't watch any Premier League so whenever I see Kane it's for England. He scuffs it a lot. He has had a couple of chances tonight and mishit both. His overall play is always good and he seems very proficient at gaining free kicks. Reckon Calvert Lewin would have slotted both or at least hit it cleanly

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Nov 2020 21:22

What a touch from Grealish. He's been our best player by a mile.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Nov 2020 21:29

Old Man Andrews What a touch from Grealish. He's been our best player by a mile.

He is different class.

What Wilshere could have become. Potentially our best player since Gascoigne.

Or at least, the one I most enjoy watching.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Nov 2020 21:31

WestYorksRoyal England have actually looked pretty good tonight against a top team. But poor finishing, sloppy goal conceded for the 1st and bad referee decision for the 2nd. Costly at this level.

Plenty of possession but no real quality crossing or finishing. I doubt Belgium have felt threatened at all.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 15 Nov 2020 21:37

Royal Rother Winks on for Henderson.

Be funny if Henderson is injured. Can you imagine Klopp...?

fingers crossed!

3567 posts