Drop Rafael?

Yes
37%
No
63%

Total votes: 57
WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Time to drop Rafael?

by WoodleyRoyal » 22 Nov 2020 20:10

Well?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Time to drop Rafael?

by South Coast Royal » 22 Nov 2020 20:12

No.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Nov 2020 20:14

No but it’s last chance saloon.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Nov 2020 20:15

I’d give him one more game. If he has another howler then give Southwood a go. Not sure what’s gone wrong, possibly a bit of complacency from lack of competition. Who knows.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Nov 2020 20:45

Zip No but it’s last chance saloon.

Yeah that

He is a decent keeper but the last 3 or 4 performances have been very poor

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 22 Nov 2020 21:14

I think a rest will do him some good. If he sees he is not the only keeper we have it may focus his mind on regaining his place as Number One. But it is Pauno's choice as he sees in training and can judge if Southwood is the better choice for a few games.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 22 Nov 2020 21:23

Yes. He has been piss poor this season.

Happy 12400th topic on the tb HAGO!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Nov 2020 21:29

He's dropped a few clangers but before that he was having a great season, wasn't it something like one goal conceded in seven games?

I don't think Millwall is the right time to bring Southwood in. He's quite small for a goalkeeper and they're a very big team. I know Rafael is no giant either but I wouldn't envy the young goalkeeper made to make his debut against that side.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Nov 2020 22:12

SCIAG He's dropped a few clangers but before that he was having a great season, wasn't it something like one goal conceded in seven games?

That's down to the team as a whole.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Nov 2020 22:21

I think he needs some time away from playing. Some very poor performances and decisions recently. I'd rather pull the trigger early for a few games than have him get in an established rut from which he can't return.

He will start next game though. Guaranteed. Can't see Paunovic dropping an experienced first team goalkeeper for a youngster with no real experience at this level unless he has to, even though I think Southwood can cut it.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Nov 2020 22:52

Also don’t want to point out but have we not learnt that pining to play a young inexperienced player doesn’t always work? Cough Gibson cough McIntyre. The grass isn’t always greener.

This said, I still would go to Southwood after Milwall if there is another shit show.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Nov 2020 00:45

No. He’s our best keeper.

Manager needs to tell him that as a senior member of the team he needs to show some leadership and some focus as he’s fcuking everything up at the moment.

And if in doubt kick it the fcuk out.

He’s not a kid. He knows what to do. He just needs to do it.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 23 Nov 2020 06:26

Yes
If he had not oxf*rd about on 3-2 down things might have been different as Bournemouth may have tried to hold on and we could have pushed for an equalizer.
At 4-2 it was game over. Unlikely to get anything in the time remaining.
Back up keeper deserves a chance.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 23 Nov 2020 07:28

Yes.

Rafael looks like he needs to see the bench for a game or two. I know we've got the giants of Millwall coming up, but I think it'd be good to rest him. Let him think about what he's done etc, especially for the Bournemouth 4th goal (although Solanke handled it).
But on the other hand, whether it's a good idea to chuck Southwood in now against Millwall, I'm not sure. Pauno would be a very brave fella to do it. If he came out of it with no defeat, then it would be a wonder stroke. But if we came out of the Millwall on the end of a drubbing, we'd be all over him.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Nov 2020 07:47

I think he needs a game off, yes. He seems like a very positive character who would come back stronger from it. I would bring Southwood in but make it clear it is only a one off (for now) in order for Rafael to get his head clear and work on what he needs to work on. He seems a little complacent right now and Southwood coming in for a game and potentially playing well would keep Rafael on his toes.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Nov 2020 08:35

CountryRoyal Also don’t want to point out but have we not learnt that pining to play a young inexperienced player doesn’t always work? Cough Gibson cough McIntyre. The grass isn’t always greener.

This said, I still would go to Southwood after Milwall if there is another shit show.

As an example of a youngster who hasn’t handled it you’re citing McIntyre, who kept Moore out of the team? And a kid who has only played one game?

Feel like better examples would be Danny Loader or Dominic Samuel, even Jake Cooper.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Nov 2020 11:58

SCIAG
CountryRoyal Also don’t want to point out but have we not learnt that pining to play a young inexperienced player doesn’t always work? Cough Gibson cough McIntyre. The grass isn’t always greener.

As an example of a youngster who hasn’t handled it you’re citing McIntyre, who kept Moore out of the team? And a kid who has only played one game?

Feel like better examples would be Danny Loader or Dominic Samuel, even Jake Cooper.

I’m referring to this season only.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 23 Nov 2020 12:06

He has been at fault for one goal in each of the last three games but none of these were critical goals that were likely to change the result and he has also made some excellent saves in those games.

So he should stay IMO but he does need to learn from the mistakes and try not repeat them.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Nov 2020 12:09

andrew1957 He has been at fault for one goal in each of the last three games but none of these were critical goals that were likely to change the result and he has also made some excellent saves in those games.

So he should stay IMO but he does need to learn from the mistakes and try not repeat them.

has he?

and the second vs stoke was a killer. As was the 4th bournemouth, coming minutes after we were centimetres from equalising. 3rd Cov cost us a point
Last edited by Hound on 23 Nov 2020 12:12, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Nov 2020 12:11

Hound
andrew1957 He has been at fault for one goal in each of the last three games but none of these were critical goals that were likely to change the result and he has also made some excellent saves in those games.

has he?

Yeah that is pure nonsense. He has done quite the opposite in the Coventry game by letting in goals he should have easily saved. Rafael gets a free ride from the super positive supporters like Andrew, they will back the players no matter what, even if it means them rewriting history.