LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8632 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by URZZZZ » 24 Nov 2020 09:47

Sanguine Finally, Liverpool have conceded three goals in seven games since Van Dijk's injury. Funny old game.

I *think it was you that mentioned it, was sceptical at first but coming to the realisation that perhaps you were right, that Liverpool’s defence has become more switched on and focused since VVD’s injury, because they can’t play with the mindset any more of “VD will just clear that up”

Also think the Villa defeat has been a huge wake up call for them, sometimes it takes a real thrashing to wake a team up (although they’d started the season with 9/9, never thought they were playing that well compared to now)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Nov 2020 09:53

From Despair To Where?
URZZZZ
Stranded
It's almost as if Liverpool identify weaknesses in their squad and go and find the best player for their needs regardless of who they play for - they are happy to buy an unheralded player because he has the exact attributes they need i.e. Robertson rather than spunking 50m on a flavour of the month type of signing from Spain.

Liverpool will spend big but only once they are as sure as they can be that the player they are after is the very best option available for their needs.

Yeah, struggling to think of (m)any duds that Klopp has actually signed for Liverpool

Regarding your point, I see a lot of calls for Liverpool to sign a striker to replace Firmino. Whilst I think Firmino may be one position that’ll need replacing in the near future, his role in the team is so specific it’s difficult to find a replacement

And as you say, that’s what’s making Klopp stand out. He’s waiting for the perfect player to arise, rather than just buying for the sake of it

Thats precisely Liverpool's transfer strategy. Its a twist on Moneyball. Don't look at the big teams, look at the star players at the teams the next level down, make sure they have the right character and buy according to need. It's how they bought Salah, Firminho and Mane for less than they got for Coutinho.

Think the problem is that that “policy” of buying the right characters from lower league clubs didn’t really work in the past under Rodgers and also Hodgson

Whilst Henderson did and Lallana for a couple of seasons, there were quite a few disappointments, Lambert, Lovren (although not as bad as people made out), Markovic, Downing, Aspas, Borini, Allen to a lesser extent

Most of those were Rodgers but it’s strange because most his signings for Leicester have been pretty solid. I always thought Rodgers fit Liverpool’s “ethos” well but other than one season, never quite got going

Compared to Klopp, who seems to get his signings spot on almost all the time, aside from a couple as Hendo pointed out yesterday

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Nov 2020 10:23

I didn't say lower league clubs.They will generally buy from clubs like Hoffenheim, Southampton or RB Salzburg rather than Barcelona, Juventus or Chelsea. They don't tend to chase star players, rather buy players they can develop or who have something to prove and there's little value buying from big clubs unless you get a chance of a bargain like Thiago from Bayern.

Its something John Henry has brought from baseball and they absolutely do have someone crunching numbers on hundreds of players throughout Europe.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 24 Nov 2020 11:13

From Despair To Where? I didn't say lower league clubs.They will generally buy from clubs like Hoffenheim, Southampton or RB Salzburg rather than Barcelona, Juventus or Chelsea. They don't tend to chase star players, rather buy players they can develop or who have something to prove and there's little value buying from big clubs unless you get a chance of a bargain like Thiago from Bayern.

Its something John Henry has brought from baseball and they absolutely do have someone crunching numbers on hundreds of players throughout Europe.

Indeed. Well, kind of.

Alisson (Roma)
Van Dijk (Southampton)
Robertson (Hull)
Fabinho (Monaco)
Wijnaldum (Newcastle)
Keita (RB Salzburg)
Salah (Roma)
Mane (Southampton)
Firmino (Hoffenheim)
Jota (Wolves)

So yes, certainly at face value - but then you can look at other big clubs going a couple of rungs down for good players. City signed Laporte from Athletic Bilbao, Mendy from Monaco, Torres from Valencia. But perhaps what is most telling for Liverpool is that (as far as I recall) they faced no real competition for those signings. They are identifying players that other clubs are not. The likes of Torres and Mendy were the 'emerging' players across Europe in their positions.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Nov 2020 13:39

Sanguine
From Despair To Where? I didn't say lower league clubs.They will generally buy from clubs like Hoffenheim, Southampton or RB Salzburg rather than Barcelona, Juventus or Chelsea. They don't tend to chase star players, rather buy players they can develop or who have something to prove and there's little value buying from big clubs unless you get a chance of a bargain like Thiago from Bayern.

Indeed. Well, kind of.

Alisson (Roma)
Van Dijk (Southampton)
Robertson (Hull)
Fabinho (Monaco)
Wijnaldum (Newcastle)
Keita (RB Salzburg)
Salah (Roma)
Mane (Southampton)
Firmino (Hoffenheim)
Jota (Wolves)

So yes, certainly at face value - but then you can look at other big clubs going a couple of rungs down for good players. City signed Laporte from Athletic Bilbao, Mendy from Monaco, Torres from Valencia. But perhaps what is most telling for Liverpool is that (as far as I recall) they faced no real competition for those signings. They are identifying players that other clubs are not. The likes of Torres and Mendy were the 'emerging' players across Europe in their positions.

Might be shot out of the water a little next summer. There is talk of both Haaland and Mbappe being on their radar. Personally think Mbappe will be off to Real Madrid for an incredibly obscene amount of money but Haaland to Anfield is certainly a realistic goer.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 24 Nov 2020 14:06

Isn't that exactly what's being said, a targeted policy in the main but occasionally they'll spend on someone everyone would love to buy?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Nov 2020 10:04

Don't think they'd go for Mbappe, too expensive. Despite the speculation, they were never seriously interested in Werner this summer.

Haaland is 20 years old and could potentially be their main striker for the next decade. Also, he was born in Leeds so may count as a home grown player. Would make sense on a number of levels.

Again, Liverpool do occasionally go big when the need arises. I'd expect to see departures funding it though.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 25 Nov 2020 11:30

From Despair To Where? Don't think they'd go for Mbappe, too expensive. Despite the speculation, they were never seriously interested in Werner this summer.

Haaland is 20 years old and could potentially be their main striker for the next decade. Also, he was born in Leeds so may count as a home grown player. Would make sense on a number of levels.

Again, Liverpool do occasionally go big when the need arises. I'd expect to see departures funding it though.

I don't think he would count as home grown - it relates to years spent in the English or Welsh academy setup, rather than place of birth. Players need to have been on the books of any club affiliated to the FA or FAW for three years prior to their 21st birthday.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Nov 2020 15:57

Mbappe's contract runs out in 19 months so clubs can start negotiations with him in just 13 months time. He is reportedly on £300k a week though which could make things tricky

Surely though after PSG's investment in him they would sell before his contract ran out

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Nov 2020 19:20

Winston Biscuit Mbappe's contract runs out in 19 months so clubs can start negotiations with him in just 13 months time. He is reportedly on £300k a week though which could make things tricky

Surely though after PSG's investment in him they would sell before his contract ran out

Mbappe's commercial appeal goes a long way to paying those wages. His name on the back of a Liverpool shirt would do tremendous numbers world wide. He's the next Ronaldo or Messi in world football and is a cash cow.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 26 Nov 2020 20:08

When was the last time an established potential best player ever came to the Prem

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 26 Nov 2020 20:09

also lol at last night...just looked up the score

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Nov 2020 09:00

BR0B0T When was the last time an established potential best player ever came to the Prem

You could argue that Pogba fit that bill when he came back to Utd. Although he obviously hasn't kicked on, but at the time, he was considered one of the best CMs in the game.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Nov 2020 11:20

I see Klopp’s moaning about the congested fixture list again :|

You’ve been here since 2015, get over it, it’s part of English football and it’s part of the reason you have a squad of players

One of those things that irritate me, managers complaining about fixture schedules

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 27 Nov 2020 14:57

URZZZZ I see Klopp’s moaning about the congested fixture list again :|

You’ve been here since 2015, get over it, it’s part of English football and it’s part of the reason you have a squad of players

One of those things that irritate me, managers complaining about fixture schedules

Agreed.
Klopp is far from being the only one to complain, Ole, Pep and Mourinho have moaned just as much.

Big clubs have big squads so use them-it is to their advantage as lesser clubs have lower quality subs.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Nov 2020 19:57

From Despair To Where? Don't think they'd go for Mbappe, too expensive. Despite the speculation, they were never seriously interested in Werner this summer.

I’d have thought Man City would have Haaland in their sights - they need a striker more than Liverpool do.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 28 Nov 2020 07:15

The likes of Klopp want it all. They strive to get into Europe and then moan about fixture congestion when they get there.

If you don't like it, put lesser teams out in cup competitions and don't complain when your beaten by clubs who put their first teams out, like Burnley, WBA, Palace etc who would love the problems the more successful clubs have.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 28 Nov 2020 10:56

Sutekh
Sanguine

Indeed. Well, kind of.

Alisson (Roma)
Van Dijk (Southampton)
Robertson (Hull)
Fabinho (Monaco)
Wijnaldum (Newcastle)
Keita (RB Salzburg)
Salah (Roma)
Mane (Southampton)
Firmino (Hoffenheim)
Jota (Wolves)

Might be shot out of the water a little next summer. There is talk of both Haaland and Mbappe being on their radar. Personally think Mbappe will be off to Real Madrid for an incredibly obscene amount of money but Haaland to Anfield is certainly a realistic goer.

The Mbappe to Liverpool talk is a non starter. It's one of those rumours that someone suggests in a forum and then some gossip website gets hold of it and then a major paper who proclaim "Mbappe linked to Liverpool".

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 28 Nov 2020 14:45

8)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Nov 2020 18:57

Royality creeps In

The likes of Klopp want it all. They strive to get into Europe and then moan about fixture congestion when they get there.

If you don't like it, put lesser teams out in cup competitions and don't complain when your beaten by clubs who put their first teams out, like Burnley, WBA, Palace etc who would love the problems the more successful clubs have.
(....acknowledges Brobot......)

Either that, or just withdraw from the competition altogether :lol:

8632 posts