323 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Bristol City (h) sponsored by Scott Murray

by Sutekh » 25 Nov 2020 21:42

When : Saturday 28th November 2020, 12.30pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Another day, another non standard kick off time (this will be the 5th in a row and Reading have lost 3 of the previous 4, managing a single point and conceding 11). The next downer is the fact that this is the first of three more live appearances on Sky and so far this year Reading have lost all 4 of the games they have played “on the box” and are on an absolutely stunning run of 11 defeats in 15 games played since August 2017.

As to the opponents, City started well then, like Reading, it all went hopelessly wrong and they picked up just 2 points from 5 games. Now it’s all going so hopelessly right again and they’re on a current run of 3 wins and a draw from their last 4. Danger men are Jamie Paterson and Nakhi Wells who both have a rather unfortunate habit of scoring against Reading. In addition Adrian Mariappa is now in the ranks plus Chris Martin and Alfie Mawson joined in the summer to boost the former Reading contingent.

The Robins have an extensive list of injuries but are still doing very well in the league. Alfie Mawson, Nathan Baker, Liam Walsh, Joe Williams, Andi Weimann and Steven Sessegnon will all miss the game while Reading are without Jon Swift, Andy Yiadom and Felipe Araruna.

Referee

Jeremy Simpson

Previously

29 Feb 2020 > Reading 2-0 Barnsley
30 Nov 2019 > Wigan Athletic 1-3 Reading
22 Oct 2019 > Queens Park Rangers 2-2 Reading
23 Feb 2019 > Reading 1-1 Rotherham United
22 Sep 2018 > Reading 3-0 Hull City
21 Apr 2018 > Sheffield Wednesday 3-0 Reading
14 Oct 2017 > Leeds United 0-1 Reading
31 Jan 2017 > Birmingham City 0-1 Reading
17 Dec 2016 > Blackburn Rovers 2-3 Reading
09 Sep 2016 > Reading 2-1 Ipswich Town (managed to book 9 players)
16 Apr 2016 > Leeds United 3-2 Reading
09 Jan 2016 > Huddersfield Town 2-2 Reading (FA Cup 3)
20 Oct 2015 > Rotherham United 1-1 Reading

Historically

This will be the 95th time the two teams have met in the league. Dead even down the years with 38 wins each and 18 draws. At home Reading have 24 wins to 13 defeats (10 draws) and have netted on 75 occasions while conceding 64.

Last time at home. Lost 1-0 to a 62nd minute strike from Jamie Paterson.

How to follow the game

1. It’s on Sky
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription (audio only)
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Bristol City (h) sponsored by Scott Murray

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Nov 2020 21:57

Three points and push this promotion charge on

8)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 25 Nov 2020 21:59

City of won 4 out of 6 on the road, we need to turn up for this one, unlike the last 2 home games.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 25 Nov 2020 22:03

Huge game on Saturday imo, potentially our biggest of the season. You need to win your home games and for a team that thrives on confidence, we need to stay in and around the playoffs

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Nov 2020 22:35

For me, this one is about just not losing, similar to Millwall. Lose and Millwall doesn't really mean anything, we're on a truly dreadful run of form and likely nosediving. Get a draw and it's a very good result for a team struggling badly. And it shows good signs we've turned a corner and can start building again. Win and obviously that's great, confidence will flow back. But it is not going to be an easy game in the slightest.

Really feel Olise has to start. Ejaria is a bit of a conundrum, can be mercurially brilliant, but slows everything down so much. Think he's got to go central and Olise left, even though I prefer Olise in the middle than on the wing. Other than that, unchanged side. Semedo has a lot of talent, but he just doesn't grab the game and dominate. He goes missing too much. I think he's a good option off the bench, but not really a starter if the team aren't already playing well, getting results and with confidence up.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Nov 2020 01:30

Think the team will be the same as today but with Olise in for Semedo. Would perhaps be prudent to give Joao a rest in the near future but not sure Saturday will be the game with Puscas missing. Baldock doesn’t cut the mustard as a lone striker and better leaving Meite off where he is

There’s a slight conundrum with Holmes at RB, as through no fault of his own, you can tell he’s a CB playing at RB and I’m not sure it’s too much of a coincidence that four of our five lowest “shots on target games” have been the games he’s started at RB. He’s solid enough, but would be wary of using him there in the long term (not sure when Yiadom/Araruna are back). More of an observation rather than a criticism though, as for a young lad who’s not playing in his natural position, he’s doing extremely well

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Nov 2020 01:50

Snowflake Royal For me, this one is about just not losing, similar to Millwall. Lose and Millwall doesn't really mean anything, we're on a truly dreadful run of form and likely nosediving. Get a draw and it's a very good result for a team struggling badly. And it shows good signs we've turned a corner and can start building again. Win and obviously that's great, confidence will flow back. But it is not going to be an easy game in the slightest.

Really feel Olise has to start. Ejaria is a bit of a conundrum, can be mercurially brilliant, but slows everything down so much. Think he's got to go central and Olise left, even though I prefer Olise in the middle than on the wing. Other than that, unchanged side. Semedo has a lot of talent, but he just doesn't grab the game and dominate. He goes missing too much. I think he's a good option off the bench, but not really a starter if the team aren't already playing well, getting results and with confidence up.

Yeah pretty much this.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Nov 2020 08:12

Interesting game this one - not one for saying games at this point are pivotal but this could be.

WIth Brentford playing tomorrow night, we could start this game out of the top 6 - a win will likely see us jump back up to 3rd or 4th, a draw probably sees us stay 7th (expecting Boro or Stoke to win) whilst a defeat could see as low as 9th.

If the latter, then the script of us dropping like a stone seems pretty set, a draw whilst not awful will likely see us out of the top 6 whilst a win puts us back towards the auto places (in position if not points).

The next 4 games after this are Weds (a), Forest (H), Brum (H) and QPR (A) - a run of games similar to the start of the season where we could pick up 8 or more points com - if we can head into that run still in the top 6, I think there will be a renewed confidence in the squad. Approaching it from 9th, could be much trickier.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Nov 2020 08:45

yeah its a big game this, no doubts. Millwall stopped the rot but didn't push us back up the table. A win here would be massive, whilst a defeat and its all doom and gloom again. I'd take the point

Olise for Semedo, otherwise same team I think. Long term I'd like Esteves back in if Yiadom is crocked, but prob not yet

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Nov 2020 08:55

I have a sneaky suspicion that Semedo will start in place of Olise again. I think perhaps the issue Pauno has with Olise is that he tends to go where he wants? As a fan I love seeing Olise popping up all over the shop, trying to get the team moving but I wonder if Pauno wants a more rigid structure. Hence why Semedo is getting so much action.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Nov 2020 09:55

NewCorkSeth I have a sneaky suspicion that Semedo will start in place of Olise again. I think perhaps the issue Pauno has with Olise is that he tends to go where he wants? As a fan I love seeing Olise popping up all over the shop, trying to get the team moving but I wonder if Pauno wants a more rigid structure. Hence why Semedo is getting so much action.

The thing is, we have plenty of structure through our back 4, Rinomhota and Laurent. This formation should allow Olise or Ejaria in the middle freedom to use their attacking talents. We look blunt with Semedo. Olise has to start.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Nov 2020 10:01

WestYorksRoyal
NewCorkSeth I have a sneaky suspicion that Semedo will start in place of Olise again. I think perhaps the issue Pauno has with Olise is that he tends to go where he wants? As a fan I love seeing Olise popping up all over the shop, trying to get the team moving but I wonder if Pauno wants a more rigid structure. Hence why Semedo is getting so much action.

The thing is, we have plenty of structure through our back 4, Rinomhota and Laurent. This formation should allow Olise or Ejaria in the middle freedom to use their attacking talents. We look blunt with Semedo. Olise has to start.

Yep agreed. The ACM should be able to go pretty much where he wants. Lovely assist from Olise last night and almost another at the end.

I can see why he likes Semedo for his ability to get round the pitch and link up play, but I'd certainly start Olise for this one

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 26 Nov 2020 10:16

Rafael
Holmes.
Morrison.
Moore.
Richards.
Rhino
Laurent.
Olise
Aluko.
Meite
Joao.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Nov 2020 10:19

3-2 or 1-0.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Nov 2020 12:57

Olise is a huge source of goals (4 assists, 2 goals in 9(4)) so I think he's worth the occasional soft game disappointing game.

I think Semedo could be a great sub. He can come in and add a bit more steel to the forward line without losing a lot of creativity, and we don't have to worry about him fading as he's done in almost every start.

Going to be very tricky when Swift is back. Doesn't have the pace or mobility to play 10, doesn't have the strength or athleticism to replace a fit Rino or Laurent. Is shit out wide.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Nov 2020 14:10

Snowflake Royal Olise is a huge source of goals (4 assists, 2 goals in 9(4)) so I think he's worth the occasional soft game disappointing game.

I think Semedo could be a great sub. He can come in and add a bit more steel to the forward line without losing a lot of creativity, and we don't have to worry about him fading as he's done in almost every start.

Going to be very tricky when Swift is back. Doesn't have the pace or mobility to play 10, doesn't have the strength or athleticism to replace a fit Rino or Laurent. Is shit out wide.

but arguably our best all round midfielder

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Nov 2020 16:10

Hound
Snowflake Royal Olise is a huge source of goals (4 assists, 2 goals in 9(4)) so I think he's worth the occasional soft game disappointing game.

but arguably our best all round midfielder

You probably know my view on that. :wink:

Plus, Swift probably shouldn't play with Ejaria, seeing as they both slow the game down and overplay.

I could see him fit in between Rino and Laurent in a less advanced roll than we currently use, with more of a front three than we currently play. Or maybe as the base of a diamond but with Rino and Laurent still doing the donkey defensive work rather than him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Nov 2020 16:20

it will be a tough one. Id like to see him in, but yeah can't see an obvious position for him

Still I suspect Rino or Laurent might start needing a bit of rotation by Christmas, so I could see him swapping in and out there

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Nov 2020 17:40

URZZZZ There’s a slight conundrum with Holmes at RB, as through no fault of his own, you can tell he’s a CB playing at RB and I’m not sure it’s too much of a coincidence that four of our five lowest “shots on target games” have been the games he’s started at RB. He’s solid enough, but would be wary of using him there in the long term (not sure when Yiadom/Araruna are back). More of an observation rather than a criticism though, as for a young lad who’s not playing in his natural position, he’s doing extremely well

He's being groomed for the role. I would say very effectively. Perhaps that's why Osho wasn't retained. Has physicality and height on his side. Araruna is too short, a weakness when defending crosses.

Our shots on target issue is nothing new. That's a bigger issue with how deep the team sits. We simply aren't offensive enough, i.e. time spent in final third of the pitch.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Nov 2020 17:58

Agree about Semedo. A decent bench option but not a starter. I would keep faith in Ejaria especially if Aluko is the other option. Ovie needs to sort his boots out. It can’t help that he keeps slipping over.

323 posts